Remove Ubuntu - Reinstall Windows

Hallo!

I recently bought a laptop off trademe (New Zealands version of Ebay).

Its an HP Envy 15-1109TX.

The issue is that its running Ubuntu, with a Grub boot/launch window. I have no wish what so ever to continue running Linux on the machine, it came with a Windows 7 Home premium key so I would like to install that.

Now this particular laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so everything has to be done thorugh bootable USB's.

I have tryed a bootable Iso of Windows Home Premium to reinstall it, however it can't find the hard drive.

So for someone who is pretty computer illiterate, help please!

Quote Originally Posted by Vrashnar View Post
    Hallo!

I recently bought a laptop off trademe (New Zealands version of Ebay).

Its an HP Envy 15-1109TX.

The issue is that its running Ubuntu, with a Grub boot/launch window. I have no wish what so ever to continue running Linux on the machine, it came with a Windows 7 Home premium key so I would like to install that.

Now this particular laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so everything has to be done thorugh bootable USB's.

I have tryed a bootable Iso of Windows Home Premium to reinstall it, however it can't find the hard drive.

So for someone who is pretty computer illiterate, help please!
    You might need to format and repartition the hard drive. Chances are its still in Ext4. You need to parition it to something that windows can recognize, such as NTFS. Download Gparted and boot it from the USB flash drive, parition/format with it. Windows should work then.

That or go into the BIOS and change the SATA mode
    Last edited by Moosie; 2013-01-25 at 10:21 PM.
    Moosie <After Hours> : Feral / Restoration

If you have access to a windows computer somewhere...You can download the official Win7 ISO, use the microsoft usb dvd tool, put the iso on a flash drive, boot from that, and wipe the drive and reinstall windows.

If you are not familiar with how to format a pc and install a new operating system, it will be easier for you to just take the PC to a technician.

Quote Originally Posted by razorback07 View Post
    You might need to format and repartition the hard drive. Chances are its still in Ext4. You need to parition it to something that windows can recognize, such as NTFS. Download Gparted and boot it from the USB flash drive, parition/format with it. Windows should work then.
    Thankyou! This was most helpful. As a quick update I have downloaded & used Gparted to create a single NFTS partition. Going to retry the Iso now.

Chazus: I already have an Iso, my issue was that because of Linux issues it wasn't recognising the hardd rive as a place it could install too.

Alex I have reinstalled Windows before, but my experience with Linux is severely limited, however I think this reformatting seems to be working!