Windows isn't activating.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...8-upgrade.html

When I do step 5, it does not activate. Should I try step 6?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so you purchased Win8 and got the ISO file. Did you actually do the software upgrade, or did you do a clean install by booting off the DVD/USB, wiping your drive, and installing Win8?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Okay so you purchased Win8 and got the ISO file. Did you actually do the software upgrade, or did you do a clean install by booting off the DVD/USB, wiping your drive, and installing Win8?
    the second one.

We have the exact same sleep schedule, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay, so you wiped the drive clean, installed win8, used the key that was emailed to you during installation.. And now it's saying that the key isn't valid? I looked at that website and I'm not sure what the whole "refresh" thing is... I just did the process you're doing (Clean install of Win8 Upgrade) and it went pretty flawlessly. I'm actually gonna install another one shortly.

And sleep schedule? What sleep schedule? I sleep when the server goes on downtime :P

Okay, so you wiped the drive clean, installed win8, used the key that was emailed to you during installation.. And now it's saying that the key isn't valid? I looked at that website and I'm not sure what the whole "refresh" thing is... I just did the process you're doing (Clean install of Win8 Upgrade) and it went pretty flawlessly. I'm actually gonna install another one shortly.

And sleep schedule? What sleep schedule? I sleep when the server goes on downtime :P
    So after you installed it was already activated, or did you do something in order to activate it?

10+ Year Old Account
    It was about a week ago, and in the midst of the San Francisco Game Jam, so I... honestly don't remember. I know I typed the code in during install. It may have just activated once I had internet, or I might have just gone to system and clicked 'activate'

So, my question is this. Did you use the emailed code during installation? Does that code still show if you go to Control Panel > System > Windows Activation (at bottom)?

Also, I recall you mentioning you were upgrading from Win7 32bit, is that correct? Did you download the ISO from that system, and then do the wipe and install?

It was about a week ago, and in the midst of the San Francisco Game Jam, so I... honestly don't remember. I know I typed the code in during install. It may have just activated once I had internet, or I might have just gone to system and clicked 'activate'

So, my question is this. Did you use the emailed code during installation? Does that code still show if you go to Control Panel > System > Windows Activation (at bottom)?

Also, I recall you mentioning you were upgrading from Win7 32bit, is that correct? Did you download the ISO from that system, and then do the wipe and install?
    I did use the code during installation, and the last 5 digits do show in Windows Activation window - before that is *'s.

This is what I did: I downloaded the iso and burned it on my 32-bit windows 7 laptop, I then booted my computer from that the first time. I then realized I screwed up and have a 32-bit operating system. Nocturnal helped me figure out the problem, and I re-installed the iso on a 64 bit vista computer, burned it to another dvd, ran my new computer from the optical drive, began to install the 64 bit windows 8, and when it asked me to allocate the drive, I deleted all data from the hard drive to get rid of the 32 bit OS, i then finished the install of the 64 bit OS, using the product key in the process. Afterwards, it was not activated, and I did the refresh thing to no avail.

this has nothing to do with your problem but I thought I would just give you the info, if you dont like the Metro UI or you just wish there was a windows start buton you should check out this program.

www.classicshell.net .. basically gives you a start button like old windows

I'm happy to see people not buy into the hype and retards hating on windows 8 , I love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm. That seems to be all the right process. What exactly is it telling you when you try to activate?

It may just be as simple as calling microsoft to verify it. I'm worried that it's a 32bit code, though, with a 64bit install. I don't THINK that's an issue, but it's a thouht that comes to mind. I'm under the impression that codes are 32/64 bit independant.

Hmm. That seems to be all the right process. What exactly is it telling you when you try to activate?

It may just be as simple as calling microsoft to verify it. I'm worried that it's a 32bit code, though, with a 64bit install. I don't THINK that's an issue, but it's a thouht that comes to mind. I'm under the impression that codes are 32/64 bit independant.
    Windows Couldn't be activated
    Go to Control panel to learn about other ways to activate.
    error code: 0x80072EE7
    Error description: the server name or address could not be resolved

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh. Well then. That's... not what I thought the problem was.

Welllllll I assume you have an active internet connection on that system? You're posting from it, and not some other computer, right?

Maybe try changing your DNS to something like 208.67.222.222

Oh. Well then. That's... not what I thought the problem was.

Welllllll I assume you have an active internet connection on that system? You're posting from it, and not some other computer, right?

Maybe try changing your DNS to something like 208.67.222.222
    i have not yet connected the system to the internet, im using my laptop...waiting on another package to arrive to connect to my internet connection. What's a DNS?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imreallybadwithnames View Post
    i have not yet connected the system to the internet, im using my laptop...waiting on another package to arrive to connect to my internet connection. What's a DNS?
    Oh! That's the problem then. It's trying to connect to microsoft's server, and can't. Just wait til you get internet hooked up and it should be golden.

PS: Dont worry about the DNS thing. I thought you already had internet on it.