Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Upgrading to windows 8

I have few hours left to get windows 8 at a very little price

Do you recommand me to do?

I love the metro UI and all (Okay the modern UI), but I'm afraid of compatibilty problems, do you recommand to get win 8 or not?
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

There is not a single reason for a gamer to move to Windows 8, even gaming developers are letting it down

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at the specs in your signature, you shouldn't have any hardware conflicts. That being said if you are doing an upgrade install the program will tell you which of your apps isn't compatible with Windows 8 and ask you to uninstall them. BUT, given that I see you have an SSD, your best bet is to do a fresh install. You'll want to enable AHCI in your bios and boot and install from the Windows 8 disk. I would recommend backing up any files you don't want to lose first.

Quote Originally Posted by Poizo View Post
    There is not a single reason for a gamer to move to Windows 8, even gaming developers are letting it down

Windows 8 is not detrimental to gaming, it's actually a faster OS then 7.
    Last edited by at05gt; 2013-01-25 at 10:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    But hey, we're just strangers on the Internet with decades of combined IT and computer building experience, what do we know?

Deleted
    i dont know if its just the stupid games for windows live or not but i can play street fighter series of games with some manual fixes but i cant play stuff like bioshock 2 and fable 3 even after trying to fix

Deleted
    Having Windows 8 I don't understand all the hate I'm mostly reading about it as I am personally quite enjoying it.

It's not rly much better then win 7 except for start up. Windows 8 seems to start up much faster. The rest is pretty much the same as far as I can tell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah upgrading I would suggest doing a fresh install if you do not have AHCI already enabled in the bios. Also gaming in general seems mostly compatible now. NCSoft Aion had an issue but it works without issues with since they updated it.

I have had not compatibility issues with Windows 8 so far, though I really don't use my computer for too much other than browsing. This is still a full x86 OS, and all of your applications and hardware should work without a hitch.

Also, you only have a few days to get a free Windows Media Center upgrade, so you might get on it. Honestly, I don't even use the new UI anymore. I just stick to the desktop because it stopped adding a benefit once I realized that IE doesn't support Atl+Home or F6 shortcuts, which I use a LOT in my browsing. When your PC starts up, hit the Windows key, and ignore the UI. You won't even notice the difference (unless you're a big-time Start menu user).

10+ Year Old Account
    hey op. lucky for you windows 8 is the same kertel than windows 7 so you wont have any problem whit it just saying

I have windows 8 ......... no compatibility problems, had it for a few months now.

people hate on it but honestly it's not much different from windows 7 .. totally up to you dont ask peoples opinions they will only repeat what they were told or read online.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason my main computer has Windows 7 on it is because DVDit pro does not work on 8... :P

I brought windows 8 for the low £14.99 and i thought "might not like it.. but its cheap.." and to be honest i am happy i brought it. There are ofc a few things that annoy me but you don't need to use the metro screen if you don't like it.

Pros -
    PC boots up a lot faster then it did on windows 7
    Programs run better on windows 8
    Once you learn the hotkeys for it like search and things its pretty fast to use.
    Runs very smooth, Very little issues.

Cons -
    Cant use any cracked software (yeah i know but i like to test some games before i buy on steam)
    The metro UI ain't that good if you ask me... (can download a start button shell if you want tho so its ok!)
    Windows 8 skype is HORRIBLE!!! (you can download a desktop version thank god!)
    Takes abit of time to get use to some things are annoy to find first time you try.
    Cant use on more then one PC a time (apprently, not installed on my laptop yet as they "can" kill the CD key. but might try oneday)

Ofc there is alot more things but to me its 50/50 i personly would get it if you are a 100% legit person and we all know no one is that. I dont advise you download cracked software anyway but.. if you do might wanna stay on windows 7. There are work arounds with cracked stuff iv found but wont say here. For the cheap £14.99 price id take it for a laptop it would be nice ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyzhi View Post
    I brought windows 8 for the low £14.99 and i thought "might not like it.. but its cheap.." and to be honest i am happy i brought it. There are ofc a few things that annoy me but you don't need to use the metro screen if you don't like it.

Pros -
    Once you learn the hotkeys for it like search and things its pretty fast to use.

Cons -
    Cant use any cracked software (yeah i know but i like to test some games before i buy on steam)
    The metro UI ain't that good if you ask me... (can download a start button shell if you want tho so its ok!)
    Takes abit of time to get use to some things are annoy to find first time you try.
    Cant use on more then one PC a time (apprently, not installed on my laptop yet as they "can" kill the CD key. but might try oneday)

Ofc there is alot more things but to me its 50/50 i personly would get it if you are a 100% legit person and we all know no one is that. I dont advise you download cracked software anyway but.. if you do might wanna stay on windows 7. There are work arounds with cracked stuff iv found but wont say here. For the cheap £14.99 price id take it for a laptop it would be nice ^^
    you can use cracked software ( i used crack on insane drm hello ubisoft) think you need to turn off that monitoring option tho not sure been so long

Downgrading to Windows 8.

Now why would you go and ruin your PC purposefully?

Stick with 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Shyzhi View Post

Pros -

Cons -

why cant you use cracked software? lol .. I have some installed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thepreacher View Post
    Downgrading to Windows 8.

Now why would you go and ruin your PC purposefully?

Stick with 7.
    you are probably one of those dude that hated vista and jumped on 7....o wait they are the same os just some tweak its the same whit windows 8 its windows 7 whit metro and performance boost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by holyevil44 View Post
    you are probably one of those dude that hated vista and jumped on 7....o wait they are the same os just some tweak its the same whit windows 8 its windows 7 whit metro and performance boost.
    Yep Windows 8 is nicer in a lot of ways People just need to let go of the fear every other MS OS will suck.

hey op. lucky for you windows 8 is the same kertel than windows 7 so you wont have any problem whit it just saying
    don't knew this

btw, im from quebec too ^^

I'll think I'll get it, but if I do can I return to win 7? I have the disk (new computer ^^)
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PunisherQc View Post
    don't knew this

btw, im from quebec too ^^

I'll think I'll get it, but if I do can I return to win 7? I have the disk (new computer ^^)
    no you cant sadly

I ran this through my "guy-thinks-hes-funny" translator and the results were:

"Windows 8 is fine, after you make changes to it so that it looks and works like Windows 7"

lolwut?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have the disc for a reinstall sure you can return. Or if you have backup software for 7 also of course

If you want to make a Windows 7 backup from the OS itself you can also do that by opening up Start and typing
    in search backup. Then just hit enter and follow the instructions for setting one up. Then you can restore it from the Windows 7 disc