1. #1

    Choppy texture edges on WoW

    I've been through three different Nvidia GPU's so far and every time I have choppy edges around textures when looking at them from a distance or flying around. Any idea how to fix this? I've got every graphics setting maxed, even Multi-sampling which doesn't appear to do anything at all.

    Here's a screenshot for reference, look at the ground at the bottom of the cathedral steps.

    http://i.imgur.com/e7eds.jpg
    Last edited by Vakna; 2012-08-07 at 03:35 PM.

  2. #2
    had something similar happening to me a few weeks ago. turned out I had some strange oldsomething folder in my WTF folder that I deleted to solve it. If you don't have something similar, I would suggest backing it up and then putting back one folder at a time until you figure of which one is messing with you

  3. #3
    Try delete wow\cache and wow\data\cache to make sure there's nothing broken cached. If that doesn't help, try different settings for "texture filtering" option from lowest to highest, as it looks like AF fail. Edges are smoothed perfectly so multisampling (AA) works fine.

    Also: thumbnails/links... Embedding whole screenshots is not allowed.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  4. #4
    Took out both of those Cache folders and tried all Texture Filtering settings, still getting the choppy edges

    Sorry for big image

  5. #5
    You have any texture filtering options forced on driver settings, like for example FXAA which was/is some kind of fad at the moment? That could mess up with WoW. WoW is well known to be buggy especially when using AMD GPU if you force any options from drivers instead of the in-game settings.

    Also you have drivers updated?
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-08-07 at 04:06 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    I've been through three different Nvidia GPU's so far and every time I have choppy edges around textures when looking at them from a distance or flying around. Any idea how to fix this? I've got every graphics setting maxed, even Multi-sampling which doesn't appear to do anything at all.

    Here's a screenshot for reference, look at the ground at the bottom of the cathedral steps.

    http://i.imgur.com/e7eds.jpg
    What are your CPU and memory specs?

    There is a big misconception that you can just buy the top-of-the-line video card and pwn FPS. This is untrue. You need solid CPU and memory before you need a top tier video card.

    Edit: I see you are using Lui. That UI is a tremendous system hog.

  7. #7
    /console gxcolorbits 24
    /console gxdepthbits 24
    /console gxrestart

  8. #8
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Do you have some 3D setting on Nvidia panel thing? I know you can use AA from the Nvidia panel/program whatever and it can cause some weird stuff like this
    "when women wear makeup they’re basically lying to us"
    Well, I don’t see why women are being blamed if man is stupid enough to really think they have red and gold eyelids.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Congelatore View Post
    What are your CPU and memory specs?

    There is a big misconception that you can just buy the top-of-the-line video card and pwn FPS. This is untrue. You need solid CPU and memory before you need a top tier video card.

    Edit: I see you are using Lui. That UI is a tremendous system hog.
    i5-2320
    Adata Gaming V2.0 1866mhz 8gb

    But I've had this issue with other hardware set ups too, using Nvidia GPU's, never had an AMD so I dunno about that. Will have a look in the Nvidia CP for the other suggestions.

    ---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 05:26 PM ----------

    The antialiasing thingies are set to application controlled.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    i5-2320
    Adata Gaming V2.0 1866mhz 8gb

    But I've had this issue with other hardware set ups too, using Nvidia GPU's, never had an AMD so I dunno about that. Will have a look in the Nvidia CP for the other suggestions.
    I have been using nvidia GPUs exclusively since 2003, and the only time I have had a graphics-type problem is when my power supply was on its way out.

    I would check to see if your power supply is providing enough power and that all connections and connectors are in place and functioning. From what you described, that's really the only thing it could be unless you simply have a bad card. But since this is the third time with a third card, the power supply appears to be the culprit.

  11. #11
    /console gxcolorbits 24
    /console gxdepthbits 24
    /console gxrestart

    What does that do? Rather not try it till I know.

  12. #12
    What does that do? Rather not try it till I know.
    Fixes your problem. Perfectly harmless. copy/paste each line into the game, one at a time, press enter after each one.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    /console gxcolorbits 24
    /console gxdepthbits 24
    /console gxrestart

    What does that do? Rather not try it till I know.
    It forces the game to use 24bit colors everywhere. Sometimes WoW gets bugged into 16bit color mode which can be invoked by changing all 24's into 16's.

    Usually 16bit colors screw up the sky primarily and if it affects ground it's really messed up, not just one tiny place. But it's worth a try anyway.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

  14. #14
    The 24 bit colour thing fixed it, really thank you a lot. <3

  15. #15

    confirm

    Quote Originally Posted by Vakna View Post
    The 24 bit colour thing fixed it, really thank you a lot. <3
    This also worked for me. i7 2600 with geforce 670. Game played great, then one day when I went to fly somewhere I saw my long distance graphics had gotten very choppy. Logged into game and typed those 3 lines in the chat box and fixed! Thanks very much!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •