Thread: Power problem

Power problem

I was using my computer earlier today and there was a loud pop followed by my computer turning off and a heavy ozone smell. I figured my power supply blew so I went to frys and bought a new one. After getting home and installing it nothing happens. If I unplug it and press the power button the light comes on in the power supply for a split second but nothing else happens. I'm almost positive that I've reconnected everything properly so I'm worried it fried something else as well like the mobo. Is there a way to check? Or anything else I can try?

Deleted
    It sounds like it could be a capacitor that blew somewhere. Certainly the PSU would be the most likely location although it may be on the mobo. Have you had an inspection to see if you can find any damaged components?

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    It sounds like it could be a capacitor that blew somewhere. Certainly the PSU would be the most likely location although it may be on the mobo. Have you had an inspection to see if you can find any damaged components?
    No inspection. When I removed the old Psu I could smell the ozone in it so I'm pretty sure that at least was shot. If I'm going to have to pay to see if the mobo is shot I might just go ahead and upgrade it and my processor. Was thinking about doing it anyway. Is there anything else that could have been damaged by it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    No inspection. When I removed the old Psu I could smell the ozone in it so I'm pretty sure that at least was shot. If I'm going to have to pay to see if the mobo is shot I might just go ahead and upgrade it and my processor. Was thinking about doing it anyway. Is there anything else that could have been damaged by it?
    I suppose anything could have theoretically happened when the PSU self destructed, but it's really hard to know without sitting in front of the system and investigating in detail what's wrong. If you're absolutely certain the new PSU has been correctly wired in then your guess is as good as mine

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    I suppose anything could have theoretically happened when the PSU self destructed, but it's really hard to know without sitting in front of the system and investigating in detail what's wrong. If you're absolutely certain the new PSU has been correctly wired in then your guess is as good as mine
    I'm not absolutely certain because I'm not that great with hardware but I'm pretty sure.

Unplug everything and try to see if it will power up as in does your cpu fan spin.

If so try adding your devices one at a time till it no longer boots as it could be anything when it happend to me was gfx card

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 05:04 AM ----------

Edit by boot I meant powers up
    Yesterday is history, today is a gift, tomorrow is mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Bann View Post
    Unplug everything and try to see if it will power up as in does your cpu fan spin.

If so try adding your devices one at a time till it no longer boots as it could be anything when it happend to me was gfx card

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 05:04 AM ----------

Edit by boot I meant powers up
    Ok I did this and it powers up with everything plugged in but the four pin in the upper left hand corner of the mobo. What does that mean?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 08:49 AM ----------

Looked it up and it seems that it is the 12v atx Connector.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 09:47 AM ----------

Well I feel dumb. I was plugging a PCI-E cable into the 12v ATX. Found the right cable and my computer is up and running again. Thanks to all for your help.