1. #1

    Rahm Emanuel using Mafia tactics in his war on guns.

    With a growing problem related to gang (and gun) violence, and an apparently ineffective police force, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has decided to target law-abiding banks and law-abiding gun makers who don't agree with his (and, by extension, Obamas) gun-ban. He did this by sending out two letters, one to BoA (Bank of America) and one to TD Bank, telling them to "use your influence to push" the gun companies "to find common ground."

    I'm not even sure this is legal. And even if it is illegal it can't be morally acceptable for someone to abuse their office to attack legal, law-abiding, companies because they don't share the same political view-point.

    Perhaps Rahm should target the gangs, the gun-runners, and the people actually breaking the law and spend less time going after people and companies obeying the law?

    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ng-gun-makers/
    Last edited by Twotonsteak; 2013-01-25 at 07:40 PM.

  2. #2
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    With a growing problem related to gang (and gun) violence, and an apparently ineffective police force, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has decided to target law-abiding banks and law-abiding gun makers who don't agree with his (and, by extension, Obamas) gun-ban. He did this by sending out two letters, one to BoA (Bank of America) and one to TD Bank, telling them to "use your influence to push" the gun companies "to find common ground."

    I'm not even sure this is legal. And even if it is illegal it can't be morally acceptable for someone to abuse their office to attack legal, law-abiding, companies because they don't share the same political view-point.

    Perhaps Rahm should target the gangs, the gun-runners, and the people actually breaking the law and spend less time going after people and companies obeying the law?

    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ng-gun-makers/
    There's nothing wrong with the mayor asking certain businesses to support his agenda, so long as he's not attaching any sort of concessions to their support. Politicians ask for support in the business community all the time. I didn't see anywhere in the article where Emmanuel was threatening to withhold permits or anything like that if those companies didn't comply. It looked like he was just asking for their support.
    She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean
    She was the best damned woman that I ever seen
    She had the sightless eyes, telling me no lies
    And knocking me out with those American thighs

  3. #3
    It's an indirect threat though, very unmayorlike.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  4. #4
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    With a growing problem related to gang (and gun) violence, and an apparently ineffective police force, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel has decided to target law-abiding banks and law-abiding gun makers who don't agree with his (and, by extension, Obamas) gun-ban. He did this by sending out two letters, one to BoA (Bank of America) and one to TD Bank, telling them to "use your influence to push" the gun companies "to find common ground."

    I'm not even sure this is legal. And even if it is illegal it can't be morally acceptable for someone to abuse their office to attack legal, law-abiding, companies because they don't share the same political view-point.

    Perhaps Rahm should target the gangs, the gun-runners, and the people actually breaking the law and spend less time going after people and companies obeying the law?

    http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...ng-gun-makers/
    Says the guy that thinks the US is on the verge of an "indeterminable time" financial collapse.

    So sending a letter to two businesses in your city is a mafia tactic?

    Stop listening to talk radio, stop being a paranoid libertarian/conservative.

  5. #5
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,547
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    It's an indirect threat though, very unmayorlike.
    Threats require a hypothetical consequence. It's merely asking for assistance in addressing a problem with gun violence in the city.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Or they could take away the main reason that gangs are fighting and make drugs legal and regulate them instead of letting gangs control the supply.

    But they won't because Obama and his cronies are in the pockets of bankers and lawyers who make billions off the war on drugs.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the mayor asking certain businesses to support his agenda, so long as he's not attaching any sort of concessions to their support. Politicians ask for support in the business community all the time. I didn't see anywhere in the article where Emmanuel was threatening to withhold permits or anything like that if those companies didn't comply. It looked like he was just asking for their support.
    We ARE discussing the same Mayor who DID threaten to withhold permits from Chick-Fil-A. So it's not unreasonable for the banks and, by extension, the gun makers to expect him to do that (or worse) again.

    As Oblivion said it's very unprofessional and bordering (at best) on abuse of his power and immoral. I mean I would be more sympathetic if he were chasing after criminal organisations. But neither the banks or the gun makers have broken any laws. The only thing the banks did wrong was conduct business with the gun makers. And the only thing the gun makers did wrong was, well, make guns. Neither activity is illegal.

  8. #8
    Personally, I'd like to see the letters. A news report is nice and all, but I'd like to see the actual news.

    Anyone have a link to that?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Says the guy that thinks the US is on the verge of an "indeterminable time" financial collapse.

    So sending a letter to two businesses in your city is a mafia tactic?

    Stop listening to talk radio, stop being a paranoid libertarian/conservative.
    1. I'm not even sure where you got that first part. It's not something I've ever written or said.

    2. Rahm Emanuel has, in the past, abused his power to deny law-abiding companies permits because he didn't agree with the political leaning of the owner.

    3. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws on the books. Perhaps the police should work on enforcing those instead of creating new ones?

    4. What he's doing is ethically wrong. It would be like me writing your boss and TELLING him to "use your influence" to FORCE you to see and do things my way. It's simply not appropriate when talking about law-abiding companies.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:07 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalnik View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see the letters. A news report is nice and all, but I'd like to see the actual news.

    Anyone have a link to that?
    There were some quoted sections in the article. Beyond that I have yet to find the full letters. And I doubt they will be published unless Rahm, himself, offers them up.

  10. #10
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    1. I'm not even sure where you got that first part. It's not something I've ever written or said.

    2. Rahm Emanuel has, in the past, abused his power to deny law-abiding companies permits because he didn't agree with the political leaning of the owner.

    3. Chicago has some of the strictest gun laws on the books. Perhaps the police should work on enforcing those instead of creating new ones?

    4. What he's doing is ethically wrong. It would be like me writing your boss and TELLING him to "use your influence" to FORCE you to see and do things my way. It's simply not appropriate when talking about law-abiding companies.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:07 PM ----------



    There were some quoted sections in the article. Beyond that I have yet to find the full letters. And I doubt they will be published unless Rahm, himself, offers them up.
    1. A couple days ago, you were talking about the national debt and all the other blah blah stuff on another thread.

    2. He's a citizen of this country, he can speak his mind, and that is what he did with Chik-fil-A.

    3. I don't see how this connects with this story. He wrote a fucking letter for christs' sake. Find something with more red meat if you want to rouse up the fellow conservatives and libertarians.

    4. Again, he wrote a freaking letter, not a gag order, not martial law, not a city-wide confiscation program, not a tax hike, a fucking letter.

  11. #11
    He is the mayor of the murder capital of the united states, people are being killed with handguns, not assualt rifles. Not sure if he is just out of touch with his community or politically driven.

  12. #12
    Um, that's not really mafia tactics. Mafia tactics would be more like if he threatened to illegally shut them down for not agreeing with him.

    Politicians use their influence all the time. And more importantly, companies try to use their influence on politicians all the time too so maybe a bit of turnabout is fair play.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    1. A couple days ago, you were talking about the national debt and all the other blah blah stuff on another thread.

    2. He's a citizen of this country, he can speak his mind, and that is what he did with Chik-fil-A.

    3. I don't see how this connects with this story. He wrote a fucking letter for christs' sake. Find something with more red meat if you want to rouse up the fellow conservatives and libertarians.

    4. Again, he wrote a freaking letter, not a gag order, not martial law, not a city-wide confiscation program, not a tax hike, a fucking letter.
    1. I never said the country was headed towards financial collapse. I did raise concerns over the national dept in regards to excessive spending. However anyone who is not concerned is either delusional or not living in the US.

    2. The owner of Chick-Fil-A is a citizen of this country. He, to, was expressing his Freedom of Speech. Rahm's response was to "vow" to block plans to open a Chick-Fil-A in Chicago. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-scandal.html

    3. You have failed to address my example. Would you find it acceptable if I, or someone else, wrote your boss and TOLD him to "use your influence" to MAKE you see things my way?

    So far you've attempted to put words in my mouth. You've attempted to mislead and distract. And you've attempted to play party against party. All I want from you is your honest, open, opinion as to whether it's acceptable to use outside influence to try and force someone to do what you want?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    He is the mayor of the murder capital of the united states, people are being killed with handguns, not assualt rifles. Not sure if he is just out of touch with his community or politically driven.
    Given Rahms history with Obama, I would almost promise you that it's politics. The crime and murder in Chicago is just a nice cover for him to push his former boss's agenda.

  14. #14
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    1. I never said the country was headed towards financial collapse. I did raise concerns over the national dept in regards to excessive spending. However anyone who is not concerned is either delusional or not living in the US.

    2. The owner of Chick-Fil-A is a citizen of this country. He, to, was expressing his Freedom of Speech. Rahm's response was to "vow" to block plans to open a Chick-Fil-A in Chicago. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-scandal.html

    3. You have failed to address my example. Would you find it acceptable if I, or someone else, wrote your boss and TOLD him to "use your influence" to MAKE you see things my way?

    So far you've attempted to put words in my mouth. You've attempted to mislead and distract. And you've attempted to play party against party. All I want from you is your honest, open, opinion as to whether it's acceptable to use outside influence to try and force someone to do what you want?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:43 PM ----------



    Given Rahms history with Obama, I would almost promise you that it's politics. The crime and murder in Chicago is just a nice cover for him to push his former boss's agenda.
    Obviously Chik Fil-A would have violated Chicago's anti-bigot zoning restrictions.
    She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean
    She was the best damned woman that I ever seen
    She had the sightless eyes, telling me no lies
    And knocking me out with those American thighs

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Obviously Chik Fil-A would have violated Chicago's anti-bigot zoning restrictions.
    I never said I agree'd with what was said. However it's his right to say those things and my right to not eat at his establishment for it. That's the entire point being free as well as obeying the law.

  16. #16
    It's like some people don't actually understand who the bad guys are.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

  17. #17
    Banned Daelak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    1. I never said the country was headed towards financial collapse. I did raise concerns over the national dept in regards to excessive spending. However anyone who is not concerned is either delusional or not living in the US.

    2. The owner of Chick-Fil-A is a citizen of this country. He, to, was expressing his Freedom of Speech. Rahm's response was to "vow" to block plans to open a Chick-Fil-A in Chicago. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-scandal.html

    3. You have failed to address my example. Would you find it acceptable if I, or someone else, wrote your boss and TOLD him to "use your influence" to MAKE you see things my way?

    So far you've attempted to put words in my mouth. You've attempted to mislead and distract. And you've attempted to play party against party. All I want from you is your honest, open, opinion as to whether it's acceptable to use outside influence to try and force someone to do what you want?

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 03:43 PM ----------



    Given Rahms history with Obama, I would almost promise you that it's politics. The crime and murder in Chicago is just a nice cover for him to push his former boss's agenda.
    1. Ok cool.

    2. Yea Rahm's response was his first amendment right as well. This is a free country, people can voice their opinions, regardless they are the president or citizen.

    3. Again, it is a piece of paper with Rahm's opinion on it. Stop blowing this up into some kind of tyrannical government forcing lowly business owners to do their bidding. It is a LETTER.

    Of course I would find it acceptable because I would be confident that my boss, CEO, pizza delivery boy could make up his own damn mind and not a freaking letter.

    Again, find something with more red meat, it's a letter.

  18. #18
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    16,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I never said I agree'd with what was said. However it's his right to say those things and my right to not eat at his establishment for it. That's the entire point being free as well as obeying the law.
    And Chicago is free to decide whether or not a business that supports that sort of thing is allowed in their city.

    That said, I do think it's a bad precedent to set to deny permits based on the political persuasion of a company that is doing things within the law.
    She was a fast machine, she kept her motor clean
    She was the best damned woman that I ever seen
    She had the sightless eyes, telling me no lies
    And knocking me out with those American thighs

  19. #19
    Bank of America was one of the top banks to receive bailout money during the housing crisis. This is basically Rahm saying "you owe me one". I don't think it takes a tinfoil hat to see when taxpayer money has been used to aim for political influence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •