Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
14
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Dreadlord Godavari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colchester
    Posts
    871
    benbos u come off as extreme fanboy if u are the same person as in the official forums but this i agree with


    As such the hate around D3 by some twisters has NOT even been constistent.


    it would have been fine to have different haters...if they were all different but they are not.

    also im not saying d3 is perfect but i still play it for few sessions whenever i feel like it and i think thats what so good about it.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Didn't play it. Can't really say. Will tell you that DMC good or bad is small enough to fly under the radar. D3 not so much.
    So you're not aware of the swirling controversy of one of Capcom's lead titles and fan favourites since the first iteration on the PS1? The Devil May Cry series has sold over 12 million units worldwide at this point, not including the new game and the new title has been doing the rounds on pretty much every gaming journalism/fansite around for the past year or two, due to changes in the game's appearance and main protagonist.

    Fans often declare things abject failures or declare change as the worst thing since the holocaust, but it doesn't make it true. Diablo 3 is loved by millions and the sheer fact that the vast majority of people who declare it to have 'failed' can't stop playing it just reads as nothing more than blasé bullcrap to me.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    also im not saying d3 is perfect but i still play it for few sessions whenever i feel like it and i think thats what so good about it.

    The above is exactly what I am trying to say and getting accross. The few hate posters (with 3500+ posts on a yearly basis) try to fight something that can't be fought.

    D3 is simply there on BattleNet and it will not go away.

    For 12.000.000 users of which only 5 % play on any given moment in any given season is 600.000 dudes to play with ... (on 3 servers even)...

    Now add the 6 million of SC2 copies sold (the original only) and the X unknown WOW copies (but 10 million active ones) and ... then give me a break calling an Indie game as a serious competitor in ANY genre.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-29 at 10:48 AM.

  4. #64
    Let me preface by saying that I still play and enjoy Diablo 3. However, Diablo 3 is a good game, and not an excellent game. There are some design flaws that really brought the game down (like for instance splitting up DPS stats into Dex/Int/Str was a huge mistake). Luckily, as patches come and go, Diablo 3 is getting improved but the major issues will require an expansion.

    Having said that, and I know this isn't an entirely fair comparison, Diablo 2 also only became great with Lord of Destruction.

    And the story line disappointing? Yeah well that was to be expected from the get go, it's an ARPG, and Blizzard's track record where story is concerned should've been a clear indication enough that Diablo 3 was never going to be a masterpiece story wise.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    In fact you just answered your own remark.

    Indie companies with a tiny budget (and crappy gameplay) don't have the HOME of a Blizzard stable. That's the HUGE difference.

    Anyone playing 2 hours a day needs a FULL year to bring one character to Paragon level 100. Same goes for HC characters, other classes played etc...

    You just keep playing D3 with small or longer breaks , just to return to when you are in the mood. Even in this thread you see the guys coming back and being surprised how the game has its own comfy zone already ....

    Like I said: no attunements, no gearscore in groups (join a public group in one second these days with crap gear, no one will complain),

    FAST jump in and out whenever you want, whatever your goal. Just have some smashing fun BUT within the usual Blizzard comfort zone with 10 million dudes chatting and hopping around in 4 very specific gaming offers (RTS, MMO, Casual on line H&S and e sports soon).

    No "indie" cheaply made product will offer all this on one central point. TL2 is already history, PoE will be history in 3 months tops.

    Fans that play together stay together.

    Any long term competition in the rts genre for SC2? Fat chance. Any long term competition in the MMO genre? Fat chance. The same is true for D3 (just look at the situation at the end of 2013) and I am quite convinced Blizzard's dota "All Stars" will have the usual Blizzard engine of smooth play, so ... I wish the competition good luck ! (they'll need it).
    I didn't answer anything. The question was do you think ppl will keep playing D3 where all you can do is farm keys or just farm with no ladder, no dynamic content, no competition. Bundling 4 games you are bored of playing together still results in players being bored. Blizz picked up their slack with WoW, but SC2 is not really game for masses with the pvp modes it offers, Korean internet coffes are nowadays filled with LoL instead of SC2, D3 has no content to play through besides grinding the same few static maps over and over and betting on All Stars to do well when we know nothing about it and there are three other well established Dota games on the market is baseless.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 11:54 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    And the story line disappointing? Yeah well that was to be expected from the get go, it's an ARPG, and Blizzard's track record where story is concerned should've been a clear indication enough that Diablo 3 was never going to be a masterpiece story wise.
    Yeah, still the level of stupidity of the story is surprising even for arpg for me

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    And the story line disappointing? Yeah well that was to be expected from the get go, it's an ARPG, and Blizzard's track record where story is concerned should've been a clear indication enough that Diablo 3 was never going to be a masterpiece story wise.
    I can't believe people complain about story in ARPGs. It's a ridiculous criticism. The Diablo series is the only series that actually makes a decent effort into storytelling. Games, books, VO work, cinematics, quests... all contribute to an overarching storyline. May not be the most grimdark or mindblowing story of all time mind you but compared to Torchlight? That series barely contains a story at all. Hell, Path of Exile doesn't even have one. It's just a series of random areas with kill/fetch quests interspersed in between. Titan Quest was the only one that made a half decent effort. But it was still pretty damn horrible.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I didn't answer anything. The question was do you think ppl will keep playing D3 where all you can do is farm keys or just farm with no ladder, no dynamic content, no competition. Bundling 4 games you are bored of playing together still results in players being bored. Blizz picked up their slack with WoW, but SC2 is not really game for masses with the pvp modes it offers, Korean internet coffes are nowadays filled with LoL instead of SC2, D3 has no content to play through besides grinding the same few static maps over and over and betting on All Stars to do well when we know nothing about it and there are three other well established Dota games on the market is baseless.[COLOR="red"]
    SC2 is not a game for the masses? That's just plain wrong. Starcraft/Starcraft 2 has pretty much been the only RTS to garner as much attention as it has. SC2 is only played less in Korea than LoL - a far easier game to get in and vastly more open to casual play and fricking Aion.

    It's vying with a hugely open easy to play (hard to master) action game and an MMO. There's no logic to your statement. Unless there's some other huge and invisible RTS making waves out there, Blizzard is currently dominating the RTS scene.

    Bringing up 'static maps in D3' is a waste of time, given that people lauded over killing the same bosses over and over in D2, making 'limited maps' to run a moot point.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    I didn't answer anything. The question was do you think ppl will keep playing D3 where all you can do is farm keys or just farm with no ladder, no dynamic content, no competition. Bundling 4 games you are bored of playing together still results in players being bored. Blizz picked up their slack with WoW, but SC2 is not really game for masses with the pvp modes it offers, Korean internet coffes are nowadays filled with LoL instead of SC2, D3 has no content to play through besides grinding the same few static maps over and over and betting on All Stars to do well when we know nothing about it and there are three other well established Dota games on the market is baseless.
    Does it even matter ? Why should Diablo 3 HAVE a long term 4 year playing time for EVERYONE ?

    As long as a few % return to it or play it casually, you have a 500K+ active player count who happen to like to play it...on just 3 servers worldwide.

    D3 sits there with the rest of the bunch. Also LOL is not as popular over here as everyone thinks: see the Nielsen study of 2012:

    http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insight...deo_games.html

    Interesting that a subscription based WOW had 2 times more players than the free to play LOL in that US activity study.

    And Blizzard has not even released their free to play DOTA game yet.

    ------

    But the CORE of this discussion is that - no matter what - players will always come back to a game that sits on BattleNet and is quite fun to play ON line with no hastle and no preparation required.

    As such Diablo 3 succeded by creating a casual H&S on line market with short and long playing periods, you return to once in a while.

    It fills perfectly a hole in the market and by imbedding it within BattleNet it will get played no matter the burn out of individuals. "I played 1000+ hours in it and now I feel bored", so what ... 12 million others of which 5 % are in another stage of their fun...

    That was the market strategy and D3 fills it perfectly.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-01-29 at 11:16 AM.

  9. #69
    PoE just makes D3 look like amateur game. The loot system is better, the abilities are waaaay more fun and the skills tree (Final Fantasy all over the place). Only thing PoE has worse than D3 is graphics.

  10. #70
    Disclaimer: while i like the game i admit it could have been a lot better, especially the AH/loot system (which is in my humble opinion the thing that ruined the game once and for all, with a multitude of greedy bastards that play only to farm gold/real money and then complain the game is dull, when it's from day1 that they are decked in full high-end gear).

    Given the above, i still play it on my own and without the AH because i simply find fun to massacre hordes of monsters and demons to find my gear.


    I think that D3 is just a game.

    The hate has absolutely no reason to exist - it's like people hating bananas because they don't like them.

    If anyone doesn't like D3, he should be free to express his disappointment. But also he shouldn't play the game.

    The "i would love this game to be awesome, but now it's crap and i hate it but i still play it a lot" is getting old. As it's becoming old white-knighting it.

    And last thing, forums are the place to avoid if you want to find people who likes the game, they are too busy playing so log into he game and chat with people.

    @people who are "excelling at D3": you've just bought the gear before others and played much more time to get to paragon 100. My crap DH can get to 100 with my crap gear in the exactly same way you have got yours, i'm just taking more time.

    It's not like you're better becaue you've played more/finished before others. Leave that crap to FPS and PvPers.

    EDIT: i find pitiful to hate a videogame. I hate people who claim their opinions to be facts.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2013-01-29 at 11:23 AM.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    But the CORE of this discussion is that - no matter what - players will always come back to a game that sits on BattleNet and is quite fun to play ON line with no hastle and no preparation required.
    So you are content with Blizz making average games as long as there is bnet to connect them into.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    SC2 is not a game for the masses? That's just plain wrong. Starcraft/Starcraft 2 has pretty much been the only RTS to garner as much attention as it has. SC2 is only played less in Korea than LoL - a far easier game to get in and vastly more open to casual play and fricking Aion.

    It's vying with a hugely open easy to play (hard to master) action game and an MMO. There's no logic to your statement. Unless there's some other huge and invisible RTS making waves out there, Blizzard is currently dominating the RTS scene.
    You are missing what really happened with SC2 ... as with D3 ppl had a lot of expectations, so they bought the game. If you look at the base of SC South Korea nowdays SC2 does not make top 10 list of most played games in internet coffes while SC1 still does with 8th place. That's how popular SC2 is ... it can't beat it's predecessor that is 15 years old. Not only that but the most popular pvp modes from SC1 were UMS maps. Thats what the casuals were playing. SC2 threw that into trash bin and went for 1v1 as the base for the game. Game mode casuals get bored with pretty fast. Do you see the pattern ? What made SC1 fun got ignored. What made D2 fun (ladder, unique builds) got ignored.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  12. #72
    Well, I hate that I wasted 50 bucks on it but I don't hate the game. It's bad but i'm whining only because of my lost money.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    So you are content with Blizz making average games as long as there is bnet to connect them into.



    You are missing what really happened with SC2 ... as with D3 ppl had a lot of expectations, so they bought the game. If you look at the base of SC South Korea nowdays SC2 does not make top 10 list of most played games in internet coffes while SC1 still does with 8th place. That's how popular SC2 is ... it can't beat it's predecessor that is 15 years old. Not only that but the most popular pvp modes from SC1 were UMS maps. Thats what the casuals were playing. SC2 threw that into trash bin and went for 1v1 as the base for the game. Game mode casuals get bored with pretty fast. Do you see the pattern ? What made SC1 fun got ignored. What made D2 fun (ladder, unique builds) got ignored.
    I don't see your point. If someone announced American Football 2 as a new sport, Americans wouldn't all jump ship and abandon American Football.

    Warcraft 3 is also one of the most played games in South Korea - it's not a valid testing area.

    Title Total US/EU play hours July 2011 thru Jun 2012
    League of Legends 1,292,502,456
    World of Warcraft 622,378,909
    Minecraft 371,635,651
    Heroes of Newerth 184,520,156
    Diablo III 172,907,605
    Battlefield 3 171,852,550
    MapleStory 165,503,651
    StarCraft II 163,980,293
    World Of Tanks 145,702,931
    Call of Duty: MW 3 126,754,082

  14. #74
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    13,588
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    But the CORE of this discussion is that - no matter what - players will always come back to a game that sits on BattleNet and is quite fun to play ON line with no hastle and no preparation required.
    No hassle? How about having to use the fucking internet or you can't play. If your modem or router stop working, you can't play. If your service is disrupted, you can't play. If battle.net is down, you can't play. If *insert unknown error # here* happens, you can't play.

    Funny, I don't consider any of those things to 'not be a hassle'.


    This is one of your weakest arguments that has no merit. Battle.net isn't a service that does much of anything right now...no one plays Blizzard games 'because of battle.net'.
    BAD WOLF

  15. #75
    It's very easy to get roped into disliking this game when you expect something that it was never designed to deliver. I found myself quite aggravated with this game as well after release, because of skewed expectations. Once you played normal mode, you've essentially seen it all, with the exception of certain mob combos and gear. After that, it's a pointless exercise in acquiring gear for nothing other than the gear's sake. You really have to LOVE rng to play this game on a consistent basis.

    But played sporadically, it's a fun 'lets blow a bunch of baddies up' good time. Then go play something else for a while. Rinse, repeat.
    Benevolence is a luxury for the strong - Wrathion

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    It's very easy to get roped into disliking this game when you expect something that it was never designed to deliver. I found myself quite aggravated with this game as well after release, because of skewed expectations. Once you played normal mode, you've essentially seen it all, with the exception of certain mob combos and gear. After that, it's a pointless exercise in acquiring gear for nothing other than the gear's sake. You really have to LOVE rng to play this game on a consistent basis.

    But played sporadically, it's a fun 'lets blow a bunch of baddies up' good time. Then go play something else for a while. Rinse, repeat.
    You see, the latter was my logic with Diablo 2 as well as Diablo 3. I don't think Diablo 2 was particularly good outside of farming, which is something I enjoy, but I'm aware is not a thrilling mechanic to most other people. Most of my PC based gaming friends didn't dump a whole lot of time into Diablo 2 outside of messing around with it once in a while. Most of them got bored running bosses really quickly. However, the same people don't seem to mind wandering around in Diablo 3's areas, hunting down elites with the odd boss battle thrown in as pit stops.

    Also, while I'm on the subject of Diablo 2's bosses dropping gear all the time - it's obvious that just because they dropped better gear all the time, does not mean that any less farming was required. And after the farming was done, what did people do? They traded it on websites for the vast majority of the time. I don't understand why some people seem to believe that Diablo 2 was less based around rng/farming spam than Diablo 3, when that tends to be the only thing they bring up in Diablo 2's defense - farming the same mobs over and over.

    And no, I'm still not knocking Diablo 2. I just think some people have over the time taken it's existence completely out of context and reworked it into some Shakespearian work of gaming fiction. And while I will still agree that Inferno was really challenging without touching the auction house, the auction house still wasn't even a necessity before the nerfs.

    If Diablo 3 was renamed Baldur's Gate 3, I could understand the world exploding in rage. But, in the end, it's just another Diablo game.

  17. #77
    I wonder how many of these "haters" used the rmah. I also wonder how many were complaining about it before the game released yet were the first in line

  18. #78
    I really wasn't satisfied with D3. I got it for free, which was nice, because looking back I wouldn't have payed for it. I didn't appreciate the character progression system, DRM is really lame, and I just didn't like how a lot of the abilities felt. That's just me. I love this type of game, I guess I just expected more.

    Just throwing this in as an afterthought: Benbos is really silly. I don't think I've seen such a zealous.. zealot in quite a while. Between that and him repeating the same argument post after post, I don't know why people reply to him.
    Last edited by Henako; 2013-01-29 at 06:43 PM.
    Just calm down.
    My Stream - My Youtube Channel

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    I don't see your point. If someone announced American Football 2 as a new sport, Americans wouldn't all jump ship and abandon American Football.

    Warcraft 3 is also one of the most played games in South Korea - it's not a valid testing area.
    The market where the original has the most following and that put the most faith in the sequel is not a valid testing area ? Do you know how much Koreans invested in SC2 esport scene ? Now they are like ... why does this game not follow in footsteps of it's predecessor. The point is Blizz has either issues identifying what made their original games popular or for whatever reason choses to avoid/abandon those features.

    My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post
    The market where the original has the most following and that put the most faith in the sequel is not a valid testing area ? Do you know how much Koreans invested in SC2 esport scene ? Now they are like ... why does this game not follow in footsteps of it's predecessor. The point is Blizz has either issues identifying what made their original games popular or for whatever reason choses to avoid/abandon those features.
    Clearly you don't understand the mentality as to why they will not stop playing Starcraft. It's got nothing to do with the quality of the sequel.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •