Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Bots? No that didn't really come to mind. But the fact remains, however you want to see this message, that it does not have a sub and rides the coat tails of its predecessor. That is what has attributed to its success, not the game itself.
    Yes it was boosted by the predecessores. But try and get my point:

-the inital sale boost was around 4M right? All due to the predecessors reputation.
    - sold around 7M in the first month i believe.

And what about the reamining 5M up until the end of the December? During this period the game was "enjoying" all type of bad reviews, hate on the forums, "Dissapointment of the Year" Awards by sites that months sooner said it was a great game ...

So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums )
    The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.

Isnt that the same phenomenon that u can see regarding WoWs success? That unending wish to see it die ( not just WoW but anything that has a Blizzard logo ). Popular things do atract a lot of negativity and sadly those "haters" are the most vocal on the forums and everywhere.
    Last edited by mmoc349aaf9315; 2013-02-09 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post

-the inital sale boost was around 4M right? All due to the predecessors reputation.

And what about the reamining 5M up until the end of the December? During this period the game was "enjoying" all type of bad reviews, hate on the forums, "Dissapointment of the Year" Awards by sites that months sooner said it was a great game ...

So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums )
    The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.

Isnt that the same phenomenon that u can see regarding WoWs success? That unending wish to see it die ( not just WoW but anything that has a Blizzard logo ). Popular things do atract a lot of negativity and sadly those "haters" are the most vocal on the forums and everywhere.
    It was virtually all for d2. Even if they didn't buy it in the first week, you don't dismiss the history of a the 10 year predecessor game in a month. Given that all the paid for reviews did really well for the game I'm not surprised it continued to sell. Doesn't mean it's good and doesn't mean D2 wasn't a large part of it's success.

Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post

So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums ) The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.

Spot on.

Now here are some quotes of "a guy"

"All that said though, the rest of the major stuff is terribly implemented, and the staff has decided that community communication is something they choose not to give a crap about. It took two weeks for them to acknowledge the auction house issues, and after their scheduled "auction house fix maintenance" that didn't do anything, there has been no "oops" post anywhere either. Making the game nigh unplayable for a lot of people does not make for very good reputation."

Those words are not from a lunatic on a forum somewhere. Nope those words are from a moderator of what is supposed to be a fan site of Diablo 3.

I rest my case.

This D3 forum is a JOKE in management and controlled by the hate boys who BULLY anyone around who ... simply likes this game.

here: you have an answer to your question OP.

A mod should moderate and at LEAST love the game he mods. Not joining the hate discussions with USELESS words like "terrible" "crap" "unplayable"... which aren't even build on sound reasoning.

---

Oh yeah, do not even DARE to mention Diablo 3 was sold 12 million times and create a thread about the PROOF the server only security worked or your threads get deleted and the user relayed to this "why the hate" thread.

Seriously. Diablo 3 is a great game and MILLIONS of people played THOUSAND of hours in it.

It was NEVER EVER "nigh unplayable" nor "crap", nor was its support "terrible" and ALL major features terribly implemented (sic).

Grow up.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-09 at 02:35 PM.

I rest my case.
    usually denotes the end of an argument, not the middle.

Seriously. Diablo 3 is a great game and MILLIONS of people played THOUSAND of hours in it.
    not a very good ratio.

10+ Year Old Account
    When launched D3 up until Inferno was pretty good; damn good actually. Inferno, however, was a mess and really ruined the experience for a lot of people. Auction houses (both of them) were a brand new design and had constant problems too. Occasionally they still do which is unforgivable at this stage eight months later.

Anyway, it's a lot better now than it was but nonetheless Blizzard's touchstone phrase up until May was "We'll release it when it's ready." This wasn't ready or anything like ready to be honest so Blizzard has a lot of work to do--years in fact--to get that back. The fact that they over-promised to a great degree on things that were basic pieces of the older game (PVP largely) didn't help.

People felt cheated in a way by the mess at endgame on launch and with most close relationships it only takes one time to ruin things and generate a ton of hate and anger.

It's sad because I think the game is better than its reputation. But it wasn't, and still is, not as good as it should have been. I still play it a couple of hours every other week. And I'll likely buy the expansion when it comes out. People forget that while D2 was very good, the D2 that everyone remembers and played for years is the version available after LoD. If Blizzard wants to make it right, that's when it's most likely to happen.

My two cents anyway.

EDIT: One last thing. I've been playing for the last 5 months or so without purchasing anything whatsoever from either AH although I sell stuff there once in a while. It's a much better experience. Good drops don't happen often enough but if you haven't decked yourself out in AH stuff, upgrades do drop. It's a very slow thing which I assume is intended.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-09 at 09:02 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    This D3 forum is a JOKE in management and controlled by the hate boys who BULLY anyone around who ... simply likes this game.

A mod should moderate and at LEAST love the game he mods. Not joining the hate discussions with USELESS words like "terrible" "crap" "unplayable"... which aren't even build on sound reasoning.
    I disagree. A wise man once said that you don't honestly truly love a thing if you don't point out its negatives as well. Following your capslock-laden rants of the past I've come to the conclusion that it does not take much to be counted as hater. Any line not expressing and exaggerated love for a Blizzard product in a zealous manner and also hinting slight criticisms makes you a hater in your book. Therefore it does not matter at which level said hate is expressed. Under these circumstances it is impossible to be moderate due to criticism happening therefore there truly are only haters and zealous fans left in the end.

As for moderation requiring love - I disagree. This is not a customer forum for a company so product loyalty is not a requirement but that's just my opinion in this case. I've been on a few fansites where moderators did not always come out in favour of a game that site or forum was created for. Especially if the game ended up as controversial. Just like D3 did and don't deny this: Diablo 3 is a very controversial game so it should not be a surprise that if over time debates end up including strongly negative or positive opinions because the moderate people have vanished.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-02-10 at 02:50 AM. Reason: grammar
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

After playing D1 and D2 and loving them so much, I was pretty disappointed with D3. The problem for me is after finishing the story once, there's nothing left for me. Doing the same thing but harder wears thin and I couldn't' care less about virtual gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekkrah View Post
    After playing D1 and D2 and loving them so much, I was pretty disappointed with D3. The problem for me is after finishing the story once, there's nothing left for me. Doing the same thing but harder wears thin and I couldn't' care less about virtual gear.
    That's odd because in D2 you replayed the story 3 times also... So I wonder why you talk about that since it was the same.

In fact IF anything, D3 took these older things like top down view and Trading from the old D games and now people complain...

I guess the next D4 game will be full 3d like in WoW (brevik did it with Hellgate, but clearly he lacked the financial back up of Blizzard).

D3 is a great game though for what it is : a hack& slash game with an in game trading system. Casual, fast play, fun and very very grindy ...

I think the newer generation would have been more pleased with full 3 D and a deleted replay of the old D series.

Change the loot system and get rid of the auction house would improve the game by leaps and bounds. At least it would for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Change the loot system and get rid of the auction house would improve the game by leaps and bounds. At least it would for me.
    Sry no hand holding allowed. Loot system is like its always been. No need to change it. If you dont like the AH then dont use it. it doesnt effect your gameplay at all.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Sry no hand holding allowed. Loot system is like its always been. No need to change it. If you dont like the AH then dont use it. it doesnt effect your gameplay at all.
    Diablo 2 had a lot more ways to toy with loot. The Horadric recipes, the numerous runes and runewords, distinctively different and non-streamlined gems, enchants and even a gambling system. Loot properties could actually include passive abilities and procs (outside of unique item context) and items could be of different types like 'ethereal'. This sort of conveyed a feeling of higher depth even if at the end people had their BiS sorted but that was much more complex than it is now.
    Blizzard had it in their hands to use this as basis and address the systemic pitfalls of the predecessor while adding their own new stuff. Instead they chose to stick to a WoW'esque approach and toss everything else into the bin. This does not make sense to me because it was part of which made Diablo 2 interesting and something to be matched by competitors. Yes, I don't think the inclusion of crafting counts as itemization or even as trad-eoff.

The AH has been controversial like nothing else before in Blizzard games. While it is in fact not mandatory its benefits clearly make people gravitate towards it since the item system simple does not provide alternatives on its own. In fact if it did and allowed some more customization people may not be inclined to fault the AH for everything because let's be honest: The AH is still a better trading system than what the predecessors offered even if it is not perfect and moreover not the most ideal choice at all.

Basically they removed the competitive nature of the ladder system and effective the entire game itself. They simplified the itemization system and streamlined it to a level where the item game felt shallow and like roleplaying a trash magnate. On top of that they added the AH as the only real novelty to it which in addition to their redone monster challenge system based on gear checks posed a unique problem which they did try to alleviate over a time but it didn't help to cover the basic problems caused by their new approach.

The tragedy of this game is that it had so much potential to be that new reference which the ARPG genre had to be measured against once again instead they opted for hipsterity (that's a word now!) in order to please the vast masses and made it thus easier for competitors to find a reference of how an ARPG should not be. Quantitatively and technologically the game is a winner but in long-term gameplay quality it either has to literally make a huge leap of faith and become Diablo 3.5 or leave it to the laughably small competitors (laughably because right now D3 apologetics laugh at them) to carve out their own niches which is what they are doing. Frankly leaving gameplay innovation and conservation of the genre as creator of it in the hands of competitors is the most inexcusable thing they have done in my eyes at least.
    Right now I can imagine that these competitors together have an active playerbase which dwarves that of Diablo 3 altogether which would be a first one for a Blizzard game. It's not making me hate Diablo 3 (I am the owner of a CE anyway) but rather making me sad.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Right now I can imagine that these competitors together have an active playerbase which dwarves that of Diablo 3 altogether which would be a first one for a Blizzard game. It's not making me hate Diablo 3 (I am the owner of a CE anyway) but rather making me sad.
    Well imagine again, because TL2 is already LONG gone out of the Xfire hitparade and PoE is following it.

Diablo 3 has a pretty good 30% retention rate in new public group forming (patch 1.03) which happens to show IN game.

12.000.000 players and 30% retention of those public groups: anyone can count.

SO D3 is pretty much the standard and will stay so as I don't think the H&S genre is loved by the majority of MMO players anyway.

And if you look at the activity of the competitors dropping extremely fast over days (not even weeks) you'll realise people don't fall for indie products. Add the Blizzard LONG term support for any of its product and you'll see that D3 is the only one that will be played with decent numbers in the long run.

And in no way is the engine of D3 amateurish.

I want to remind you that 12 Million copies sold as of Dec 31 is an incredible number and be sure it is on its way to 13 million, if not even passed already.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-11 at 10:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekkrah View Post
    Which is weird, as D1 and D2 were entirely the same in that regard. Maybe you've just grown bored with the genre?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Don't be foolish it doesn't affect people's gameplay however It DOES change the economy DRASTICALLY don't think you know why so I'm going to let you figure it out especially when you have thousands and thousands of manipulators like me just destroying the place utterly and controlling it to what we want and that hurts people which I will admit yeah it really REALLY does.

And wtf is hand holding? The AH IS hand holding that is straight up hand holding like wth is that why would you even remotely say that?
    Last edited by Resentful; 2013-02-11 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    Don't be foolish it doesn't affect people's gameplay however It DOES change the economy DRASTICALLY don't think you know why so I'm going to let you figure it out especially when you have thousands and thousands of manipulators like me just destroying the place utterly and controlling it to what we want and that hurts people which I will admit yeah it really REALLY does.

And wtf is hand holding? The AH IS hand holding that is straight up hand holding like wth is that why would you even remotely say that?
    Seriously, just play without the AH these days (buying) if you want it, because past patch 1.05 everyone with lvl 60 self found gear can go in a public group and down Diablo. We had a group yesterday with a lvl 4 Paragon. The guy was happy as a child.

Of course the game only begins right there as key hunting or going to ramp up your Paragon. It is GREAT when you find that unique legendary that fits your spec and class. And the moment it drops it is one of the most exciting moments.

You are not in a competition, just playing when you are in the mood and so the AH is just as handy, as trivial or as needed as you yourself want it.

D series have ALWAYS been about grinding AND trading. The fact that that choice now is even included safely in the game is not even a disadvantage.

Like some dude said D1,D2 were better because D3 replayed the same content after level X. Obviously the man never even touched the older D games, he, just like anyone else on the present day internet just wants to look cool for hating the next game.

I like D3 MUCH more than SC2 and D2 and I hardly enter Azeroth these days, so D3 is excellent if you like the game play.

Simple fact: the game sold an extra 5 million after its first launching period, that alone proves a lot of people don't trust the hate boys (just like COD, MOP, etc ...).

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 01:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Which is weird, as D1 and D2 were entirely the same in that regard. Maybe you've just grown bored with the genre?
    No the truth is he obiously never even played D1 or D2 as the "repeat the story multiple times" has always been a part of a Diablo game. So just another dude with a non meaningful critical comment.

He wants to join a forum bandwagon that simply is not present in sales numbers.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-11 at 12:59 PM.

The economy is far too big for any one individual to have any significant impact on the AH. The only entity that has a noticeable impact on the AH is Blizzard patch notes. Sniping a few deals from uninformed sellers doesn't mean you're running the AH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinoashi View Post
    He doesn't need a source to know that he pretty much hit the nail on the head.
    “What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.” - Christopher Hitchens

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitepepper View Post
    The economy is far too big for any one individual to have any significant impact on the AH. The only entity that has a noticeable impact on the AH is Blizzard patch notes. Sniping a few deals from uninformed sellers doesn't mean you're running the AH.
    Ahahaha!!!! You have no idea do you? I do it for hours I did for hours like you have to be out of your mind if you think people aren't pulling strings. The AH was nothing more then a puppet and I was controlling the strings

Few deals try 3000+ ? I played that game endlessly I made money from it from utterly doing it don't insult me because you have no clue how well that market can be bended to my hands

You know how much money I made from it? Around 6k from basic economics and manipulation no really though don't comment if you have no clue wtf you are talking about.

Schedule: Play X hours to level to 100 then do at least 4-5 hours of manipulation every day until I retired that was my entire schedule on that game getting to 100 and manipulation do I regret it? Putting in so many hours? Maybe after realizing the game was utter garbage when playing it for so long but hey It gave me money so

Not all is lost
    Last edited by Resentful; 2013-02-11 at 02:16 PM.

Ahahaha!!!! You have no idea do you? I do it for hours I did for hours like you have to be out of your mind if you think people aren't pulling strings. The AH was nothing more then a puppet and I was controlling the strings

Few deals try 3000+ ? I played that game endlessly I made money from it from utterly doing it don't insult me because you have no clue how well that market can be bended to my hands

You know how much money I made from it? Around 6k from basic economics and manipulation no really though don't comment if you have no clue wtf you are talking about.

Schedule: Play X hours to level to 100 then do at least 4-5 hours of manipulation every day until I retired that was my entire schedule on that game getting to 100 and manipulation do I regret it? Putting in so many hours? Maybe after realizing the game was utter garbage when playing it for so long but hey It gave me money so

Not all is lost
    You talk a good game, hmm wait...no you do not. Ok let me re-start, you say things and cannot back them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    You talk a good game, hmm wait...no you do not. Ok let me re-start, you say things and cannot back them up.
    Why would I need to be back it up? I destroyed D3 It's in my g-dam signature for god sakes all that is from manipulation cept the manticore I got that for free because I'm boss

Destroyed D3
    Destroyed PoE
    Destroyed WoW at the before era

Destroyed all three economies why do I need to prove it to you? I could give a F about what you think all I know is that I controlled the market as did others and it utterly rewarded me huh I'm getting into the elitist vibe aren't I? Oh well worth it!

Cy@
    Last edited by Resentful; 2013-02-11 at 03:26 PM.

Why would I need to be back it up? I destroyed D3 It's in my g-dam signature for god sakes all that is from manipulation cept the manticore I got that for free because I'm boss

Destroyed D3
    Destroyed PoE
    Destroyed WoW at the before era

Destroyed all three economies why do I need to prove it to you? I could give a F about what you think all I know is that I controlled the market as did others and it utterly rewarded me huh I'm getting into the elitist vibe aren't I? Oh well worth it!

Cy@
    WoW has a 2 k player economy.
    D3 has a 500 k player economy (if not more at times, certainly with new content patches).

Controling one region wide D3 AH, is saying you control the NY Stock Exchange.