Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
16
LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    When they posted the D3 sales so far they were giving a message.
    Imo they are saying that D3 sold +-4M copies at launch day and every month up until now the game kept selling and selling even when "all the internet" was saying it was the flop of the year and yet here they are at 12M copies sold after 8 months.

    Thats how i interpret it.

    P.S - Dont bother typing something like "more then half of those are bots".
    Would be interesting to see how many accounts are banned out of those 12 million...

    Two million of those are from AP as well hence can't really be counted as a normal sales, also how many did they refund and are they counted as sold or not, just sayin'.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  2. #262
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    13,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Redblade View Post
    Would be interesting to see how many accounts are banned out of those 12 million...

    Two million of those are from AP as well hence can't really be counted as a normal sales, also how many did they refund and are they counted as sold or not, just sayin'.
    It seems with that number that they would have to be. Just the Asian copies that had to be refunded I would imagine that number to be far less. Plus the AP, etc...technically they were 'sold'. Sales and refunds are different categories and only one is being reported on in those statements.

    It's a fluff statement to be sure.
    BAD WOLF

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    It seems with that number that they would have to be. Just the Asian copies that had to be refunded I would imagine that number to be far less. Plus the AP, etc...technically they were 'sold'. Sales and refunds are different categories and only one is being reported on in those statements.

    It's a fluff statement to be sure.
    No doubt, now the most interesting number to see would be monthly earnings from RMAH, something tells me it's not all that great lately.
    Active PoE: @MajorAsshole EvE: Redblade (Reikoku)
    Inactive D3: Armory Rift: Alyssaa @ Icewatch SWTOR: Redblade @ ToFN WoW: My graveyard of characters.
    People just do the strangest things when they believe they're entitled. But they do even stranger things when they just plain believe. - Kevin Smith

  4. #264
    Pit Lord philefluxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Silicon Highway
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    When they posted the D3 sales so far they were giving a message.
    Imo they are saying that D3 sold +-4M copies at launch day and every month up until now the game kept selling and selling even when "all the internet" was saying it was the flop of the year and yet here they are at 12M copies sold after 8 months.

    Thats how i interpret it.

    P.S - Don't bother typing something like "more then half of those are bots".
    Bots? No that didn't really come to mind. But the fact remains, however you want to see this message, that it does not have a sub and rides the coat tails of its predecessor. That is what has attributed to its success, not the game itself.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Bots? No that didn't really come to mind. But the fact remains, however you want to see this message, that it does not have a sub and rides the coat tails of its predecessor. That is what has attributed to its success, not the game itself.
    Yes it was boosted by the predecessores. But try and get my point:

    -the inital sale boost was around 4M right? All due to the predecessors reputation.
    - sold around 7M in the first month i believe.

    And what about the reamining 5M up until the end of the December? During this period the game was "enjoying" all type of bad reviews, hate on the forums, "Dissapointment of the Year" Awards by sites that months sooner said it was a great game ...

    So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums )
    The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.


    Isnt that the same phenomenon that u can see regarding WoWs success? That unending wish to see it die ( not just WoW but anything that has a Blizzard logo ). Popular things do atract a lot of negativity and sadly those "haters" are the most vocal on the forums and everywhere.
    Last edited by Letsbefair; 2013-02-09 at 12:10 AM.
    by Aurust :
    Although i havent played it, there is I believe enough info to form a valid opinion.
    To give my opinion on the new WOW xpac..... Ive played enough wow to know MOP is a complete disaster..... I visualized playing it in my head and it was bad.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    Yes it was boosted by the predecessores. But try and get my point:

    -the inital sale boost was around 4M right? All due to the predecessors reputation.
    - sold around 7M in the first month i believe.

    And what about the reamining 5M up until the end of the December? During this period the game was "enjoying" all type of bad reviews, hate on the forums, "Dissapointment of the Year" Awards by sites that months sooner said it was a great game ...

    So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums )
    The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.


    Isnt that the same phenomenon that u can see regarding WoWs success? That unending wish to see it die ( not just WoW but anything that has a Blizzard logo ). Popular things do atract a lot of negativity and sadly those "haters" are the most vocal on the forums and everywhere.
    It was virtually all for d2. Even if they didn't buy it in the first week, you don't dismiss the history of a the 10 year predecessor game in a month. Given that all the paid for reviews did really well for the game I'm not surprised it continued to sell. Doesn't mean it's good and doesn't mean D2 wasn't a large part of it's success.

  7. #267
    Personally, I found that the de-emphasis on the gothic art style which had been prevalent in the first two games, combined with a very weak, nonsensical story and lackluster characters killed it for me. I don't care much about farming, online play, or the AH. What I used to love about Blizzard is the quality worlds and stories they delivered. But D3 just felt like an overly bright generic hack and slash game to me, with defeated bosses inexplicably brought back and lore being thrown out left and right. The ending of D2 and subsequent books left room for an amazing storyline, which Blizzard failed to capitalize on in the interest of turning a quick buck.

    Mind you, that's my personal opinion, not "fact". I'm sure some folks thought angels turning into humans (a race spawned by the union of angel and demon, so that makes no sense) was cool, and maybe some folks enjoy blue mobs being harder to beat than lackluster boss fights. Maybe some folks think ponies and rainbows are better than the darker, grittier art style of the previous games. To each their own, but for me, D3 just missed the mark (except on the way skills are chosen--the skill/rune system was a cool one).

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by Letsbefair View Post
    Yes it was boosted by the predecessores. But try and get my point:

    -the inital sale boost was around 4M right? All due to the predecessors reputation.
    - sold around 7M in the first month i believe.

    And what about the reamining 5M up until the end of the December? During this period the game was "enjoying" all type of bad reviews, hate on the forums, "Dissapointment of the Year" Awards by sites that months sooner said it was a great game ...

    So i believe that D3 success wasnt dall due to D2. And maybe ..just maybe the game isnt as bad as claimed on forums like this and the official ones ( and some gaming sites .. probably the same people that visit those forums ) The reason why so many on the forums are committed to such a vision of D3 having failed is idd a matter that deserves a thread like this to discuss.


    Isnt that the same phenomenon that u can see regarding WoWs success? That unending wish to see it die ( not just WoW but anything that has a Blizzard logo ). Popular things do atract a lot of negativity and sadly those "haters" are the most vocal on the forums and everywhere.
    Spot on.

    Now here are some quotes of "a guy"

    "All that said though, the rest of the major stuff is terribly implemented, and the staff has decided that community communication is something they choose not to give a crap about. It took two weeks for them to acknowledge the auction house issues, and after their scheduled "auction house fix maintenance" that didn't do anything, there has been no "oops" post anywhere either. Making the game nigh unplayable for a lot of people does not make for very good reputation."

    Those words are not from a lunatic on a forum somewhere. Nope those words are from a moderator of what is supposed to be a fan site of Diablo 3.

    I rest my case.

    This D3 forum is a JOKE in management and controlled by the hate boys who BULLY anyone around who ... simply likes this game.

    here: you have an answer to your question OP.

    A mod should moderate and at LEAST love the game he mods. Not joining the hate discussions with USELESS words like "terrible" "crap" "unplayable"... which aren't even build on sound reasoning.

    ---


    Oh yeah, do not even DARE to mention Diablo 3 was sold 12 million times and create a thread about the PROOF the server only security worked or your threads get deleted and the user relayed to this "why the hate" thread.

    Seriously. Diablo 3 is a great game and MILLIONS of people played THOUSAND of hours in it.

    It was NEVER EVER "nigh unplayable" nor "crap", nor was its support "terrible" and ALL major features terribly implemented (sic).

    Grow up.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-09 at 02:35 PM.

  9. #269
    I rest my case.
    usually denotes the end of an argument, not the middle.

    Seriously. Diablo 3 is a great game and MILLIONS of people played THOUSAND of hours in it.
    not a very good ratio.

  10. #270
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    10,841
    When launched D3 up until Inferno was pretty good; damn good actually. Inferno, however, was a mess and really ruined the experience for a lot of people. Auction houses (both of them) were a brand new design and had constant problems too. Occasionally they still do which is unforgivable at this stage eight months later.

    Anyway, it's a lot better now than it was but nonetheless Blizzard's touchstone phrase up until May was "We'll release it when it's ready." This wasn't ready or anything like ready to be honest so Blizzard has a lot of work to do--years in fact--to get that back. The fact that they over-promised to a great degree on things that were basic pieces of the older game (PVP largely) didn't help.

    People felt cheated in a way by the mess at endgame on launch and with most close relationships it only takes one time to ruin things and generate a ton of hate and anger.

    It's sad because I think the game is better than its reputation. But it wasn't, and still is, not as good as it should have been. I still play it a couple of hours every other week. And I'll likely buy the expansion when it comes out. People forget that while D2 was very good, the D2 that everyone remembers and played for years is the version available after LoD. If Blizzard wants to make it right, that's when it's most likely to happen.

    My two cents anyway.

    EDIT: One last thing. I've been playing for the last 5 months or so without purchasing anything whatsoever from either AH although I sell stuff there once in a while. It's a much better experience. Good drops don't happen often enough but if you haven't decked yourself out in AH stuff, upgrades do drop. It's a very slow thing which I assume is intended.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2013-02-09 at 09:02 PM.
    If you have anything to contribute to a thread topic, please do so. Discussing moderation or calling out specific people is against the rules and makes a post liable for an infraction. Please report problem posts. If anyone is unclear about the rules please read our FAQ. Thanks.

    It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...let's go exploring!

  11. #271
    Pit Lord Ravenblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany - Thuringia
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    This D3 forum is a JOKE in management and controlled by the hate boys who BULLY anyone around who ... simply likes this game.

    A mod should moderate and at LEAST love the game he mods. Not joining the hate discussions with USELESS words like "terrible" "crap" "unplayable"... which aren't even build on sound reasoning.
    I disagree. A wise man once said that you don't honestly truly love a thing if you don't point out its negatives as well. Following your capslock-laden rants of the past I've come to the conclusion that it does not take much to be counted as hater. Any line not expressing and exaggerated love for a Blizzard product in a zealous manner and also hinting slight criticisms makes you a hater in your book. Therefore it does not matter at which level said hate is expressed. Under these circumstances it is impossible to be moderate due to criticism happening therefore there truly are only haters and zealous fans left in the end.

    As for moderation requiring love - I disagree. This is not a customer forum for a company so product loyalty is not a requirement but that's just my opinion in this case. I've been on a few fansites where moderators did not always come out in favour of a game that site or forum was created for. Especially if the game ended up as controversial. Just like D3 did and don't deny this: Diablo 3 is a very controversial game so it should not be a surprise that if over time debates end up including strongly negative or positive opinions because the moderate people have vanished.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2013-02-10 at 02:50 AM. Reason: grammar
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired)
    GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU - When I'm playing WvW I'm really playing LSD.

    My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

  12. #272
    After playing D1 and D2 and loving them so much, I was pretty disappointed with D3. The problem for me is after finishing the story once, there's nothing left for me. Doing the same thing but harder wears thin and I couldn't' care less about virtual gear.

  13. #273
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekkrah View Post
    After playing D1 and D2 and loving them so much, I was pretty disappointed with D3. The problem for me is after finishing the story once, there's nothing left for me. Doing the same thing but harder wears thin and I couldn't' care less about virtual gear.
    That's odd because in D2 you replayed the story 3 times also... So I wonder why you talk about that since it was the same.

    In fact IF anything, D3 took these older things like top down view and Trading from the old D games and now people complain...

    I guess the next D4 game will be full 3d like in WoW (brevik did it with Hellgate, but clearly he lacked the financial back up of Blizzard).

    D3 is a great game though for what it is : a hack& slash game with an in game trading system. Casual, fast play, fun and very very grindy ...

    I think the newer generation would have been more pleased with full 3 D and a deleted replay of the old D series.

  14. #274
    Change the loot system and get rid of the auction house would improve the game by leaps and bounds. At least it would for me.

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Change the loot system and get rid of the auction house would improve the game by leaps and bounds. At least it would for me.
    Sry no hand holding allowed. Loot system is like its always been. No need to change it. If you dont like the AH then dont use it. it doesnt effect your gameplay at all.

  16. #276
    Pit Lord Ravenblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Germany - Thuringia
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Sry no hand holding allowed. Loot system is like its always been. No need to change it. If you dont like the AH then dont use it. it doesnt effect your gameplay at all.
    Diablo 2 had a lot more ways to toy with loot. The Horadric recipes, the numerous runes and runewords, distinctively different and non-streamlined gems, enchants and even a gambling system. Loot properties could actually include passive abilities and procs (outside of unique item context) and items could be of different types like 'ethereal'. This sort of conveyed a feeling of higher depth even if at the end people had their BiS sorted but that was much more complex than it is now.
    Blizzard had it in their hands to use this as basis and address the systemic pitfalls of the predecessor while adding their own new stuff. Instead they chose to stick to a WoW'esque approach and toss everything else into the bin. This does not make sense to me because it was part of which made Diablo 2 interesting and something to be matched by competitors. Yes, I don't think the inclusion of crafting counts as itemization or even as trad-eoff.

    The AH has been controversial like nothing else before in Blizzard games. While it is in fact not mandatory its benefits clearly make people gravitate towards it since the item system simple does not provide alternatives on its own. In fact if it did and allowed some more customization people may not be inclined to fault the AH for everything because let's be honest: The AH is still a better trading system than what the predecessors offered even if it is not perfect and moreover not the most ideal choice at all.

    Basically they removed the competitive nature of the ladder system and effective the entire game itself. They simplified the itemization system and streamlined it to a level where the item game felt shallow and like roleplaying a trash magnate. On top of that they added the AH as the only real novelty to it which in addition to their redone monster challenge system based on gear checks posed a unique problem which they did try to alleviate over a time but it didn't help to cover the basic problems caused by their new approach.

    The tragedy of this game is that it had so much potential to be that new reference which the ARPG genre had to be measured against once again instead they opted for hipsterity (that's a word now!) in order to please the vast masses and made it thus easier for competitors to find a reference of how an ARPG should not be. Quantitatively and technologically the game is a winner but in long-term gameplay quality it either has to literally make a huge leap of faith and become Diablo 3.5 or leave it to the laughably small competitors (laughably because right now D3 apologetics laugh at them) to carve out their own niches which is what they are doing. Frankly leaving gameplay innovation and conservation of the genre as creator of it in the hands of competitors is the most inexcusable thing they have done in my eyes at least.
    Right now I can imagine that these competitors together have an active playerbase which dwarves that of Diablo 3 altogether which would be a first one for a Blizzard game. It's not making me hate Diablo 3 (I am the owner of a CE anyway) but rather making me sad.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) @ Sylvanas EU (retired)
    GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU - When I'm playing WvW I'm really playing LSD.

    My Deus Ex:HR soundtrack mixes [FLAC version (3.5 GB)]

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    Right now I can imagine that these competitors together have an active playerbase which dwarves that of Diablo 3 altogether which would be a first one for a Blizzard game. It's not making me hate Diablo 3 (I am the owner of a CE anyway) but rather making me sad.
    Well imagine again, because TL2 is already LONG gone out of the Xfire hitparade and PoE is following it.

    Diablo 3 has a pretty good 30% retention rate in new public group forming (patch 1.03) which happens to show IN game.

    12.000.000 players and 30% retention of those public groups: anyone can count.

    SO D3 is pretty much the standard and will stay so as I don't think the H&S genre is loved by the majority of MMO players anyway.

    And if you look at the activity of the competitors dropping extremely fast over days (not even weeks) you'll realise people don't fall for indie products. Add the Blizzard LONG term support for any of its product and you'll see that D3 is the only one that will be played with decent numbers in the long run.

    And in no way is the engine of D3 amateurish.

    I want to remind you that 12 Million copies sold as of Dec 31 is an incredible number and be sure it is on its way to 13 million, if not even passed already.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-11 at 10:30 AM.

  18. #278
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekkrah View Post
    After playing D1 and D2 and loving them so much, I was pretty disappointed with D3. The problem for me is after finishing the story once, there's nothing left for me. Doing the same thing but harder wears thin and I couldn't' care less about virtual gear.
    Which is weird, as D1 and D2 were entirely the same in that regard. Maybe you've just grown bored with the genre?

  19. #279
    The Unstoppable Force N-aix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Sry no hand holding allowed. Loot system is like its always been. No need to change it. If you dont like the AH then dont use it. it doesnt effect your gameplay at all.
    Don't be foolish it doesn't affect people's gameplay however It DOES change the economy DRASTICALLY don't think you know why so I'm going to let you figure it out especially when you have thousands and thousands of manipulators like me just destroying the place utterly and controlling it to what we want and that hurts people which I will admit yeah it really REALLY does.

    And wtf is hand holding? The AH IS hand holding that is straight up hand holding like wth is that why would you even remotely say that?
    Last edited by N-aix; 2013-02-11 at 12:31 PM.

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    Don't be foolish it doesn't affect people's gameplay however It DOES change the economy DRASTICALLY don't think you know why so I'm going to let you figure it out especially when you have thousands and thousands of manipulators like me just destroying the place utterly and controlling it to what we want and that hurts people which I will admit yeah it really REALLY does.

    And wtf is hand holding? The AH IS hand holding that is straight up hand holding like wth is that why would you even remotely say that?
    Seriously, just play without the AH these days (buying) if you want it, because past patch 1.05 everyone with lvl 60 self found gear can go in a public group and down Diablo. We had a group yesterday with a lvl 4 Paragon. The guy was happy as a child.

    Of course the game only begins right there as key hunting or going to ramp up your Paragon. It is GREAT when you find that unique legendary that fits your spec and class. And the moment it drops it is one of the most exciting moments.

    You are not in a competition, just playing when you are in the mood and so the AH is just as handy, as trivial or as needed as you yourself want it.

    D series have ALWAYS been about grinding AND trading. The fact that that choice now is even included safely in the game is not even a disadvantage.

    Like some dude said D1,D2 were better because D3 replayed the same content after level X. Obviously the man never even touched the older D games, he, just like anyone else on the present day internet just wants to look cool for hating the next game.

    I like D3 MUCH more than SC2 and D2 and I hardly enter Azeroth these days, so D3 is excellent if you like the game play.

    Simple fact: the game sold an extra 5 million after its first launching period, that alone proves a lot of people don't trust the hate boys (just like COD, MOP, etc ...).

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 01:58 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Cairhiin View Post
    Which is weird, as D1 and D2 were entirely the same in that regard. Maybe you've just grown bored with the genre?
    No the truth is he obiously never even played D1 or D2 as the "repeat the story multiple times" has always been a part of a Diablo game. So just another dude with a non meaningful critical comment.

    He wants to join a forum bandwagon that simply is not present in sales numbers.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2013-02-11 at 12:59 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •