Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    I guess reading is not your strong point. I quit playing at the end of Nov. Got a forum suspension on Dec 12 for a old post.

Account is not banned. Try reading the thread before making post.
    You're right I forgot it takes Blizzard months to forum ban you. You know all that work they do reading through month old posts just looking for bannable material. Also the fact that you created an MMO-Champ account after leaving WoW really goes to show that maybe you're not over WoW yet and you have still have a ways to go.
    Last edited by Xeraxis; 2013-01-26 at 01:45 AM.

I'm not sure why, but WOW entertained me and stimulated me in a way no other leisurely activity ever has, it's right up there with international travel, drawing, and reading books. When I end up bored of the game, I still have an insatiable urge to play the game, and this urge cannot be satisfied. So I stop playing until new things come to the game or until I appreciate things in a fresh new way.

I have a question for you OP, I've never understood people who feel the need to not only tell other people they are no longer playing a game, but who keep tabs with the fan communities after they've cut the activity out of their life.

I can understand an old hobby you sometimes keep tabs on or feel interested in, but what's up with telling other people you aren't playing anymore and why?

When I feel a game isn't to my liking, I do something I like instead. It seems a strange quirk of WOW's community that people persist in taking part in the community when they claim they are over the game or have no attachment to it. I would think at the least you once enjoyed the game and perhaps blame certain changes for the loss of that enjoyment which you now enjoy discussing, or you're waiting to check out the game with further changes.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

I used to quit and always come back. I quit quite a while ago and still haven't felt the urge to return. I just don't miss anything from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    You're right I forgot it takes Blizzard months to forum ban you. You know all that work they do reading through month old posts just looking for bannable material.
    Last I checked the mods look at the post when it was reported. Threads can go for a while with out being reported. Works the same way here. Also end of Nov to Dec 12 is months? interesting. Nice edit lol not playing wow =/= posting on mmo champ right?

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 05:47 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yig View Post
    I'm not sure why, but WOW entertained me and stimulated me in a way no other leisurely activity ever has, it's right up there with international travel, drawing, and reading books. When I end up bored of the game, I still have an insatiable urge to play the game, and this urge cannot be satisfied. So I stop playing until new things come to the game or until I appreciate things in a fresh new way.

I have a question for you OP, I've never understood people who feel the need to not only tell other people they are no longer playing a game, but who keep tabs with the fan communities after they've cut the activity out of their life.

I can understand an old hobby you sometimes keep tabs on or feel interested in, but what's up with telling other people you aren't playing anymore and why?

When I feel a game isn't to my liking, I do something I like instead. It seems a strange quirk of WOW's community that people persist in taking part in the community when they claim they are over the game or have no attachment to it. I would think at the least you once enjoyed the game and perhaps blame certain changes for the loss of that enjoyment which you now enjoy discussing, or you're waiting to check out the game with further changes.

I was asking if others had the same experience as I did when quit. You kinda have to tell others your experience to find out if theirs is the same as for keeping tabs on wow seeing if things changes in a way to make me want to come back.
    Last edited by But I Hate You All; 2013-01-26 at 02:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't consider playing a game as a marriage as some seem to do. It seems quiting for some is like some painful divorce. If you stick to one game only you're doing yourself a dis-service since there are so many good games out there to mess around with. You don't need to lock into a game for 6 years. I dropped wow 2 years ago and for the most part I've booked marked the forums page here since the main page is mostly wow news and doesn't interest me anymore. I enjoy the off topic video game discussions and I'm currently immersed in Path of Exile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    as if there is some urge to come back
    Not really, but life changes. I quit WoW without any intention to come back, then broke my ankle almost a year later. Living alone, on the top floor, without an elevator, made it hard to go out, so I needed a timesink. Enter WoW, again.

The game itself changes too, offering new opportunities.

Maybe you'll feel like coming back when the next expansion is announced, or when some friends start playing. Maybe something will happen in your own life, that will make you want to play again. Or maybe not, who knows what will happen in life or with the game.

I don't understand how playing WoW = you can't play any other game and must invest 50 hours a week to wow. I have to quit WoW in order to play other games?

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I don't consider playing a game as a marriage as some seem to do. It seems quiting for some is like some painful divorce. If you stick to one game only you're doing yourself a dis-service since there are so many good games out there to mess around with. You don't need to lock into a game for 6 years. I dropped wow 2 years ago and for the most part I've booked marked the forums page here since the main page is mostly wow news and doesn't interest me anymore. I enjoy the off topic video game discussions and I'm currently immersed in Path of Exile.
    Checking out other games to see the features they have or make you appreciate the ones you normal game has is a good idea as long as you have the time and money to do so. If you don't have the time you can side step some of that with all the beta testing/stress tests new games do. I know for myself there are dozens of games I know I would love, I just don't have the time to play much if any of them.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    The only withdrawals I feel are finding a game that I could spend that much time with... I find myself bored. But I'd rather be bored than frustrated playing a game I no longer enjoy.

My brother and I had separate accounts for vanilla, BC, and wotlk. We started combining the accounts at the start of cata by the end we had all characters on one account. We tag teamed leveling a monk, and getting to what you could do end game we were really disappointed. I really thought that maybe I'd just spend the time leveling some if not all our characters to 90 while I waited for the developers to stop being so indignant... But even with the new patch I'm not excited I do believe this is the end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Checking out other games to see the features they have or make you appreciate the ones you normal game has is a good idea as long as you have the time and money to do so. If you don't have the time you can side step some of that with all the beta testing/stress tests new games do. I know for myself there are dozens of games I know I would love, I just don't have the time to play much if any of them.
    Yeah that's a huge problem for me as well finding the time for all of them. My steam library is full of unplayed/uninstalled games. (Damm you Steam sales). Fortunately for me PoE is a f2p game that seems well done from a Indie developer so I've got some love for the dedication they put into the game. I can drop It when I want no risk. Beta testing games will give a you a good feel for a game you might like with no cost associated so yeah that's another win.

these days i quit on and off but during vanilla, when i loved the game so much, loved my guild and loved raiding quitting (as in taking a break) was kinda hard. It felt fucking weird, like my best friend moved to another country or something, empty, dunno ;p I probably missed the guys more then I missed the actual game though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    The only withdrawals I feel are finding a game that I could spend that much time with... I find myself bored. But I'd rather be bored than frustrated playing a game I no longer enjoy.
    Agreed. I never knew how much free time I had lol till I stopped playing wow.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Used to quit 2 or 3 times a year and always had the urge to come back. But this time, I have no desire to come back. Don't know why really because it's a really good expansion. Guess I just devolved into one of those types that like the adventure of new xpacs. Dont have the time or patience for end game anymore.
    Operation Red Wing

10+ Year Old Account
    I quit in July 2011 when my sub ended, I simply got bored of doing the same thing over and over again.

If you did not PvP often with a reliable arena team and didn't need gold, your day consisted of doing the daily heroic and then basically afking until raid time if there even was a raid that day. On the off chance that I might need food or pot I'd do maybe an hour or two of farming mats to get myself ready for the next couple of raids. I've been back a few times on free week offers but have never felt as though I am missing anything and so usually do not even play for the full week before I go back to whatever game I was on before.

I wish I wasn't bored of the game, I really do. I had a massive amount of fun and will always look back on my game time as a positive experience but good things do not last forever. Perhaps Blizzard will introduce something in Expansion V that will make me want to play again, and I sort of hope that they do, but until then I'm waiting on Titan and other MMOs.

I quit and come back whenever there's something interesting to do, like a new expansion. I try to stay somewhat current with WoW news because I think this is a game I would LIKE to enjoy again, but I feel somewhat disturbed by the current game design philosophy and may not bother with future expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    I quit in July 2011 when my sub ended, I simply got bored of doing the same thing over and over again.

If you did not PvP often with a reliable arena team and didn't need gold, your day consisted of doing the daily heroic and then basically afking until raid time if there even was a raid that day. On the off chance that I might need food or pot I'd do maybe an hour or two of farming mats to get myself ready for the next couple of raids. I've been back a few times on free week offers but have never felt as though I am missing anything and so usually do not even play for the full week before I go back to whatever game I was on before.

I wish I wasn't bored of the game, I really do. I had a massive amount of fun and will always look back on my game time as a positive experience but good things do not last forever. Perhaps Blizzard will introduce something in Expansion V that will make me want to play again, and I sort of hope that they do, but until then I'm waiting on Titan and other MMOs.
    The game is what you make of it. Sounds like its a good thing you arent playing anymore. Nothing should feel forced when you are playing a game.

Like many people do, they watch tv a lot. I don't watch tv, but if not, I don't really have anything else to pass the time, so I play WoW. It's still enjoyable to me after all these years, so I continue playing.

I've never quit WoW only to go crawling back to it because there was nothing else to "fill the void."

I did take a break from WoW two years ago; the first several months of Cata were torturous for me as a healer. I decided I'd take 45~55 day break, sorted through my in game mail, and stopped playing when my subscription wore out.

I didn't miss WoW during my break. At all. There was always something else available to occupy me. Books, catching up on old shows, picking up a new hobby or two, going out with friends, or just going into the backyard with my dogs for a while all filled up my "free" time quite handily. I actually dreaded re-subbing a bit as it would mean I'd have to pay attention and work to catch up to my guild mates to participate in guild stuff - which, I should mention, weren't hard or super annoying, but the idea of them was... I guess I'd say it felt heavy.

The experience showed me what my life would be like without WoW, without a game like WoW. That life was pretty darn good, relaxing, and pleasant. I didn't completely drop the game because it wasn't my intention to drop the game. I'd told my husband and my guild that I'd be taking a limited break, and I don't like breaking my word.

I'd have a harder time claiming to quit WoW and going back anyway, because of my issues with breaking my word. >_<

I quit mostly because I didn't like the CRZ and the changes that they have made to WoW since I started playing in WotLK. I don't really miss it now. Lately I've been playing TES games 3-5 and waiting for ESO to come out.

If WoW comes out with another expansion I do like and they fix the problems caused by CRZ, I might come back to the game. I have no regrets about playing WoW at all. And I don't "hate" WoW. I think it was a great game. It's getting into its senior years now but you know you gotta respect a game that has been top dog in its field for so many years. I give props to Blizz for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    Also the fact that you created an MMO-Champ account after leaving WoW really goes to show that maybe you're not over WoW yet and you have still have a ways to go.
    For what it's worth, I quit nearly a full year ago but I remain active here at MMO-Champ for a number of reasons:
    1) Despite not playing, or even remotely feeling the urge to play, I like to keep up to date with the games progressions in the event that some new and interesting feature comes along that may encourage me to resubscribe.
    2) MMO-Champ isn't strictly about WoW, there are a number of other sections of the forums dedicated to different games and other things.

If that's not enough for you to demonstrate that people can be over WoW in either its present or future state, I was convinced by a friend to download MoP and test it out with the 10 day free trial - I downloaded the full 22GB (I'd uninstalled the game a long time ago, naturally), tried it out for about 2-3 hours before uninstalling it because I just wasn't getting any enjoyment out of it. It felt forced for me.

So just as I do with many other games I don't play, I keep up to date with the news regarding them because their evolution/development interests me.