Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galluk View Post
    It's not really that. It's more that Aids is fairly preventable in most cases. More like, the government announcing a new, trillion dollar research project to treat people from burns from putting their hands into fire, when the solution is, stop putting your hands into fire.
    A majority of health problems are preventable. There are groups of hunter-gatherers with NO cancer/heart disease/diabetes/HIV/insert health issue here

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I also find it ridiculous to claim that we shouldn't spend money on curing X until we find out how to cure Y.

Why not do both, if possible? And it is possible. If we wait until we find a cure for cancer before looking for a cure for AIDS, then we'll be waiting a long time.
    Exactly. Its like he thinks theres a set of rooms in a line, one room for researching cancer, the next room for researching HIV and there all sharing funding. Then one day one room gets more funding for it and told to find a cure quicker, so they work more on it while the other room takes a break.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Exactly. Its like he thinks theres a set of rooms in a line, one room for researching cancer, the next room for researching HIV and there all sharing funding. Then one day one room gets more funding for it and told to find a cure quicker, so they work more on it while the other room takes a break.
    Also, imo it'll be a virus that cures cancer. So the more we know...

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post

10chars.
    fair enough, im 31

When i was younger, AIDS was CONSTANTLY talked about, eveyday....like it was the god damned bubonic plauge or something. I used to ask the same questions back then.

If HIV is largely a preventable disease, why are we as a society spending so much money to cure something that is much easier prevented? There are many other diseases that kill randomly, and more people that didn't recieve even a 1/4 of the attention that AIDS got. Frankly as a teen i got tired of hearing about it all the time.

Take malaria for example. Malaria is found in 500 million people (!) and is caused by a protozoa spread by the female of the Anopheles mosquito. 300 million of these cases are severe. In the east African villages, children are bitten by the Anopheles mosquitoes carrying malaria 50-80 times a month.

1.5 million peple die a month from that diesase...when was the last time we had a telethon to cure malaria?

Or we can look at TB. Tuberculosis is caused by the Koch bacterium. It is as old as the humankind. TBC was found even in mummies coming from the ancient Egypt and Peru. 2 million people die annually of tuberculosis. About 150 million people are estimated to have died of TBC since 1914.

One third of the people carry the Koch bacterium, which spreads through the air and affects all the body, especially the lungs. It induces prolonged coughing, fever, shivering, bloody expectoration, weight loss, sweating, tiresome, and glossy eyes.

It infects one third of the world population and each year another new 8 million cases appear. Each second a person dies of tuberculosis. It is more aggressive in women and persons between 15 and 45 years old. Mutant strains are resistant to almost all drugs and kill about 50 % of the patients.

I think curing either one of these diseases should be more of a priority than AIDS.

I didn't learn about how deadly TB as untill I joined the army and was briefed on how deadly it is before i deployed to Iraq.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by galluk View Post
    It's not really that. It's more that Aids is fairly preventable in most cases. More like, the government announcing a new, trillion dollar research project to treat people from burns from putting their hands into fire, when the solution is, stop putting your hands into fire.
    Your not even listening and this is getting ridiculous. I've told you enough times, people in starving third world countries suffer from HIV and end up having children with the disease. It passes it, it can't be prevented, and these people can't even get medication to live a life where a simple cold can kill them.

I do not understand what is wrong with you people. Someone finds a possible cure or aid to allow people having this disease to live a normal happy life, and YOUR reaction is 'oh its not that important, theres more pressing things that should be seen to'.

I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you have HIV.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-01-26 at 04:26 AM.

This is such great news. I grew up learning about the HIV/AID's virus and how awful it truly is. There was one story in particularly that really ripped my heart out when I was younger.

A married couple that cheated on each other so much they both contracted the disease but neither knew where it came from. The woman gave birth to a baby girl before they knew they had the virus. Both parents died, and the girl died around 5-6 years old of age. Her grandmother was taking care of her until her dying day. It was so sad. Some of the elements of it however that I have told may not be completely true as its been YEARS since I've watched the story on the news. But it really broke my heart. It really pulls on my heart strings when young children never get a chance and die from some kind of disease or cancer and suffer.

This discovery may stop thousands of kids suffering and dying horrible deaths from being born with HIV.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are groups working to cure malaria and TB. And maybe you're right that those diseases need more attention than they are currently getting. But I still don't think we should stop trying to cure one to focus on the other.
    Putin khuliyo

I came across an theory with a friend. This theory is pretty much "Why would they find a cure, if they are making a killing off the treatment?". Sad but true, I don't think they will ever find the cure for AIDS or even Cancer.
    "Yes, I'm one of those GW2 fan boys who quit WoW and never even played GW1."[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    There are groups working to cure malaria and TB. And maybe you're right that those diseases need more attention than they are currently getting. But I still don't think we should stop trying to cure one to focus on the other.
    I agree with ya, im not saying a cure shouldn't be found.

I just think the amount of resources spent to cure AIDS and the amount of attention it has gotten compared to other more deadly and transmittable illnesses is crazy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmazingFeedz View Post
    I came across an theory with a friend. This theory is pretty much "Why would they find a cure, if they are making a killing off the treatment?". Sad but true, I don't think they will ever find the cure for AIDS or even Cancer.
    Not only pharma companies are working on these diseases. You have a lot of university or institution researchers looking for cures. And a cure would instantly make anyone massively rich and more importantly (to scientists), famous.

From my experience, any science breakthrough articles in mainstream news is over hyped.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Not only pharma companies are working on these diseases. You have a lot of university or institution researchers looking for cures. And a cure would instantly make anyone massively rich and more importantly (to scientists), famous.
    I guess some form of incentive is better than none though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I agree with ya, im not saying a cure shouldn't be found.

I just think the amount of resources spent to cure AIDS and the amount of attention it has gotten compared to other more deadly and transmittable illnesses is crazy.
    You are vastly oversimplifying this. You seem to believe because they find a possible cure for one thing that means because they haven't found a cure for another that there must obviously be more funding into that research. You know how ridiculous that sounds?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    From my experience, any science breakthrough articles in mainstream news is over hyped.
    Yeah this too. This isn't a cure at all, btw, not even close, and neither would it allow patients to stop taking drugs with a simple infusion

Its kind of irriating to me that so much money has been poured into curing a preventable diesease.
    People can also be born with it, accidental contact with someones blood that has it, you can still obtain it while wearing a condom. So unless you isolate yourself 100% from any human contact its not preventable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Yeah this too. This isn't a cure at all, btw, not even close, and neither would it allow patients to stop taking drugs with a simple infusion
    yep, its still a case of doing having medication, but it would stop people with the disease needing to take daily doses of pills just to keep themselves alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Your not even listening and this is getting ridiculous. I've told you enough times, people in starving third world countries suffer from HIV and end up having children with the disease. It passes it, it can't be prevented, and these people can't even get medication to live a life where a simple cold can kill them.

I do not understand what is wrong with you people. Someone finds a possible cure or aid to allow people having this disease to live a normal happy life, and YOUR reaction is 'oh its not that important, theres more pressing things that should be seen to'.

I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you have HIV.
    How will people in third world countries afford the new medicine?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 12:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    People can also be born with it, accidental contact with someones blood that has it, you can still obtain it while wearing a condom. So unless you isolate yourself 100% from any human contact its not preventable.
    very very rare for people to be born with it (tear in the fetus will be necessary) and why the hell person with HIV have kids? Healthcare workers get it with accidental contact (normal people don't get it unless oral sex is considered accidental contact) Again, condom has to break for it to happen (what is the actual percentage of condom breaking, maybe we should fix that issue)

10+ Year Old Account
    Its kind of irriating to me that so much money has been poured into curing a preventable diesease.
    And what about medical personal who get stuck by junkies? That's completely avoidable I guess also?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    How will people in third world countries afford the new medicine?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 12:42 AM ----------

very very rare for people to be born with it (tear in the fetus will be necessary) and why the hell person with HIV have kids? Healthcare workers get it with accidental contact (normal people don't get it unless oral sex is considered accidental contact) Again, condom has to break for it to happen (what is the actual percentage of condom breaking, maybe we should fix that issue)
    so your saying healthcare workers dont matter.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    It's not all that tin-foil hatty, I'm afraid. It's also by no means a conspiracy. It's rather common practice in medicine for all sorts of conditions.
    Okay, source? If it's so common, and happens to "all sorts" of conditions, it should be no problem finding one.