Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Angry Races... slowly being ruined? (Be warned, whining within)

WC3: Night elves! They're this ancient, ten thousand year old race and friends to the ancient powers of nature! Blessed children of a powerful goddess.

Wow nelfs: tauren, trolls, mogu, pandaren, mantid, nerubian, qiraji, Jinyu, saurok, - all over ten thousand years old easily. Mountain giants and such don't actually give a care about the night elves, oh, and not only is your goddess not even a goddess, this other race knows her better than you. Oh, and your racial leader, malfurion? He thinks you taking issue with the orcs cutting down your forest and forsaken assasinating druids in their sleep is petty. And all your gods agree.

WC31-3: Humans! Seven powerful kingdoms spread across the world, with differing political affiliations and histories.

Humans!: Only stormwind matters, gilneas is empty / most of its people in darnassus and such, Dalaran's neutral, Kul'tiras isn't even ingame. Stormwind has no culture or specialty of its own.

WC3: Orcs: Race of noble savages corrupted but working to overcome their past.

Wow: Garrosh lol (Oh, and Thrall partnered up with the forsaken, killed a dwarf expedition in 1k needles, and left the warsong in Ashenvale)

WC1-3 Trolls: Ancient race looking to get back in power / lone tribe looking to get back in power

WoW: Lol pretty soon the Darkspear will be the only trolls left, the Revantusk won't ever do anything important, and all the other tribes are dying off, even Zandalar.

WC3 Tauren: Strong nomads that like peace

WoW: So pacifistic they'll ignore the quillboar murdering their people and give them water.

WC3 Goblins: I laugh in the face of danger!

WoW goblins: Your leader planned to sell you and thrall put him back in power. He's nowhere ingame.

Gnomes: lol

Dwarves WC3: Ancient titan made race looking into their heritage

Wow dwarves: Council of three hammers doesn't matter, Brann "Which wire will destroy the world and which saves it?" Bronzebeard is the most prevalent character.

Worgen: Not in wc3 but in Vanilla wow they were this otherworldly feral race, and in Cata's opening they were people struggling with their curse... only then their story dropped off forever.

Draenei WC3: Master assasins of a race nearly wiped out by the Orcs

Draenei Wow: Really eredar, never do much of anything except wait for the legion expac, morally perfect and nigh immortal, know the light better than humans and -apparently- know Elune better than the people that've worshipped her for 10k years. I don't see why anyone would like this absurdness, why bother being any other race when the Draenei do it better? (Huge arcane tradition too!)

WC3 Forsaken: What joy is there in this curse?

Wow Forsaken: Being undead is suddenly GREAT for no reason.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not be a draenei? Well, I despise holy roller races, so there's that. If there's any race that has suffered the most from the WC3 to WoW transition, it's the night elves. They used to be great, now they're just bumbling morons who apparently never learn ANYTHING in their thousand year lifespans. Also, their leader is a complete ditz who can't do anything without groveling and begging for Elune to help her.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-01-26 at 04:48 AM.

Pretty much the only races that don't suck from a story standpoint are Blood Elves and Pandaren.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, this is where the magic comes out of wow when the races lose there sense of mystery and just become like any other kind of race or person you know in real life, boring, shallow, selfish and greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Yes, this is where the magic comes out of wow when the races lose there sense of mystery and just become like any other kind of race or person you know in real life, boring, shallow, selfish and greedy.
    Don't forget painfully stupid

Master assassins?
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Night. Elf. Mages.

This was the most ass backwards thing they ever did in this game.

Apparently blizzard has never read their own books and don't understand that Night Elves hate ALL THING ARCANE.

Magic is the only reason we even HAVE two elf races.

After the sundering the night elves abhor all things magical, and swear it off forever.

And lets not forget that the night elves have proven they can hold a grudge for thousands of years (ie: Illidan).

But then Cata hits and its all, meh... lets just mess with magic again even though we almost destroyed the world with it before.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Master assassins?
    Draenei in WC3 were master assasins that could move while stealthed and could be stealthed permanently, they were used by Illidan and Kael to wipe out Magtheridon's defense-crystals and they all looked like "Lost one" draenei do now, even Akama, who got retconned to the broken.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Night. Elf. Mages.

Apparently blizzard has never read their own books and don't understand that Night Elves hate ALL THING ARCANE.

After the sundering the night elves abhor all things magical, and swear it off forever.

And lets not forget that the night elves have proven they can hold a grudge for thousands of years (ie: Illidan).

But then Cata hits and its all, meh... lets just mess with magic again even though we almost destroyed the world with it before.
    I don't even have that much of an issue with that, I just wish they'd handled it differently.

Sure, bring the Highborne from Shen'dralar back, but have the watchers and wardens keep an eye on them 24/7 treat them like second class citizens with tons of restrictions on what they can/can't do and actually play up the difference in how the night elves and the rest of the Alliance view magic, have the Night elves comment on DALARAN for example. Have some actual internal conflict rather than relying on "we have to stop the Horde/Scourge/legion/axis of awful!"
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage View Post
    Night. Elf. Mages.

Actually the ones who nearly destroyed the world are the ones whom make up the other "elf race", the one that was exiled for not being able to control themselves. Night Elf Mages have existed in WoW in Dire Maul. They did a poor job explaining what was done to convince Tyrande to let them back in, especially these particularly extremist elves, but, if you did the Alliance quests early on, back in Wrath, the Kirin Tor had to have played a role. It's hardly the most ass backwards thing in game. Actually it's something that makes plenty of sense given that every single one of their allies wield the Arcane, and most wield fel magic, without incident. What makes less sense is why Orcs allow Warlocks to practise inside Orgrimmar...

10+ Year Old Account
    The hell....
    Shall I be dramatic and say "You haven't heard the last of me,"?

LIFE

(L)ive, (I)nfluence, (F)ight, (E)njoy

Quote Originally Posted by Duito View Post
    The hell....
    Not sure how to help you if you don't give me more to work with.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW races are not mindless drones who all subscribe to a unified belief, they have different opinions. A night elf mage isn't farfetched in the slightest, just as playable orc warlocks aren't either.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-01-26 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    WoW races are not mindless drones who all subscribe to a unified belief, they have different opinions. A night elf mage isn't farfetched in the slightest, just as playable orc warlocks aren't either.
    Well, it's kind of weird for them to be in the Horde since Thrall banned them in WC3 and it's not really explained why he let them back in, there's a throwaway line in their quests about being 'necessary' or something like that but there's no real reason given as to why Thrall thinks they're necessary, and the guy who proclaims it's his job to show Thrall that the only warlocks in the Horde are good warlocks... is an evil warlock working for the Legion (Neeru Fireblade)

Again, not all of the story decisions are bad in and of themselves... but the way they're handled and executed is -awful-.
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    Master assassins?
    Yes, the Broken in WC3 were like dark templars in starcraft. Was wicked overpowered.

Which when playing the game i found a little bit lazy from blizzard as the broken even look kind of like protoss.

Of course it's far fetched for those options to be playable. It's like the human shaman, the gnome druid or the undead paladin. Sure; they exist within Azeroth... But it's so incredibly unlikely that a member of one of those races would take up such an occupation that there's nearly none of them around... Far too little of them to justify having them as playable options.
    If you dó go that route, then you'll have to allow all races to have access to all classes. It's not something I'm personally against; one of my greatest wishes for playable options since Vanilla was an Orc Druid, but it's definitely not within the design philosophy of the game to do something like this. They want the races to feel different as well as look different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Of course it's far fetched for those options to be playable.
    I don't see how someone breaking from the norms of their society and pursuing a shunned path of life is farfetched at all. In fact, it's an incredibly common plot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    They want the races to feel different as well as look different.
    Races can feel different with classes overlapping, with few exceptions, namely Druids. I don't buy that Blizzard cares for this though. Not when they keep hinting at homogenising the lore (or in some cases, doing just that). It'd be nice if, in lore, Sunwalkers power was in the school of fire and nature damage, like Sunfire and Wrath spells for Druids, instead they are wielding the Light? That's just stupid and makes Sunwalkers seem completely incredible, when they could've been perfectly explained with their spells dealing fire and nature damage, as its drawn from the Sun, which is supposed to be different from "the Light". They establish that paladins must *always* wield the Light.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Races can feel different with classes overlapping, with few exceptions, namely Druids. I don't buy that Blizzard cares for this though. Not when they keep hinting at homogenising the lore (or in some cases, doing just that). It'd be nice if, in lore, Sunwalkers power was in the school of fire and nature damage, like Sunfire and Wrath spells for Druids, instead they are wielding the Light? That's just stupid and makes Sunwalkers seem completely incredible, when they could've been perfectly explained with their spells dealing fire and nature damage, as its drawn from the Sun, which is supposed to be different from "the Light". They establish that paladins must *always* wield the Light.
    I think they want the sunwalkers true source of a power to be ambiguous for story reasons. They claim it's from An'she, but other claim they are just interpreting the holy light in that fashion, so people can discuss it. A lot of it is just game mechanics too. If they truly cared about making the races fit with their class they would have made night elf priest spells silvery white and shit like that... which I really wish they would do.
    Last edited by Loaf Lord; 2013-01-26 at 05:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    WC31-3: Humans! Seven powerful kingdoms spread across the world, with differing political affiliations and histories.

Humans!: Only stormwind matters, gilneas is empty / most of its people in darnassus and such, Dalaran's neutral, Kul'tiras isn't even ingame. Stormwind has no culture or specialty of its own.
    Stormwind is the only one that matters because Stormwind (which has a distinct culture; that it's the typical medieval-like culture does not mean it's not there) was the largest of the human kingdoms within the Alliance that survived. Gilneas sealed itself off, and then suffered a loss at the hands of the Forsaken. The region is a battleground. Meanwhile, Stromgarde, Lordaeron, and Alterac were all destroyed. In Warcraft 2 or 3.

I could pick at more of them, but I don't really have a reason to. The fact that you felt the need to flavor half of your arguments with "lol" makes them pretty laughable, I'd say.

I think they want the sunwalkers true source of a power to be ambiguos for story reasons. They claim it's from An'she, but other claim they are just interpreting the holy light in that fashion, so people can discuss it. A lot of it is just game mechanics too.
    Has nothing to do with game mechanics, I specifically spelled out "lore" for a reason, as in, its not relevant to game mechanics. Night Elf Priest players deal holy damage with their spells, Night Elf Priest NPCs deal Arcane. The reasons have been laid out; holy has no resistances, arcane does, night elf priests would be disadvantaged dealing arcane damage so they don't. Lorewise, the school is Arcane (ironic right?). An'she is/should've been tangible, but they scrap it and flatout state it's the Light. So what makes a Sunwalker special? There is nothing special about them at all. Rather than say they picked it up from the Argent Crusade following Wrath (which was perfectly believable and acceptable) they go out on a limb trying to make it a unique thing to Tauren, then recant and just say "lol its actually the Light, sry for confusion". Horrible implementation. They retconned the history of tauren druids in a similar manner. They were *supposed* to have been inspired by the might of nature Night Elf Druids wielded in the third war and went to study with them, all of a sudden they end up the first druids? okay...

If they truly cared about making the races fit with their class they would have made night elf priest spells silvery and shit like that.
    Blizzard assumes, and rightfully so, that people are complete simpletons and wouldn't recognise that a silvery night elf priestess healing spell is no different from a human priests gold one, and some halfwit with a youtube channel would post videos "proving" one is better than the other. Which is why they didn't do it. Seeing as how Locks are getting green fire in 5.2 though, things may change, though with respect to this particular example, Blizzard doesn't give a flying fuck about Night Elf lore and won't waste their time on such a thing.