Need Help, Grid Questions

http://i.imgur.com/ch2KTBk.jpg

I'm trying to make my own UI for the first time, I've tried in the past but I usually just get too frustrated and give up. For some reason my grid has a weird see through rectangle around it that I can't figure out how to disable, to just have the entire square be the unit frame, because of that opaque outline, everything I assign to the corners goes outside of my heal frame, which brings me to my next question. I've been messing around with it showing my riptide and earth shield but I can't get it to display durations. I downloaded an additional add on for the icon, but it's either a small purple square or the riptide icon with no duration.

I'm also not set on grid but I started to try vuhdo and I didn't like it.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 04:42 AM ----------

Ah, well I figured half of it out. It was 'Spacing' set at 1, put to 0 and it's gone, now I just need to figure out this Riptide duration and Earth shield stacks and I should be good to move on to the next add on!

Quote Originally Posted by tordenflesk View Post
    GridStatusHots
    I downloaded it, and I read people saying to enable an option called "show duration" but I cannot find that anywhere. This is by far the most frustrating part of setting up a UI, I don't understand while so many frames want to display HoTs and stuffs as color circles -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Larsoney View Post
    For some reason my grid has a weird see through rectangle around it that I can't figure out how to disable, to just have the entire square be the unit frame
    Its the background pane. Its been awhile since I've used grid but you can either turn it off directly or adjust the thickness (how much it protrudes past the unit frames).

I downloaded it, and I read people saying to enable an option called "show duration" but I cannot find that anywhere. This is by far the most frustrating part of setting up a UI, I don't understand while so many frames want to display HoTs and stuffs as color circles -_-
    There are three types of indicators in grid: icon, colored square and text. To get the duration to show up as a number, you need to activate the 'hot' in a text based indicator (eg. SideText, CornerText addons). In addition, I think you have to activate the 'duration' in StatusHots options which should be a couple tabs over. In that tab, there should be a scroll pane on the left and click on the category named 'My:<HoT>'. In that pane, you should be able to modify a lot of things like changing color based duration or charges.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-01-26 at 05:26 AM.

Hmm well I got it to display text only, which isn't exactly what I wanted but I'll settle after going through all this trouble. Still a little apprenhensive about grid but we'll see how it goes. Had another question, when I had Grid set up for a 5 man, I had my 5 players in a neat line, I was hoping when more people joined it would stack upward, but when I joined a group to see they stacked downward blocking my action bars, I even have horizontal groups or whatever it's called enabled.

Spacing defines the transparent 'border/background' of grid. Demonstrated the effect of 'spacing' option by setting it to 25.

Duration via Status Hots. First you need a Text based indicator. Here, I've used GridIndicatorCornerText with a fix so it doesn't mess up grip Grid's options pane.

First, you must enable the 'My Hots' that you'd like to use:

Next you must enable the hot in the correct indicator location:

Had another question, when I had Grid set up for a 5 man, I had my 5 players in a neat line, I was hoping when more people joined it would stack upward, but when I joined a group to see they stacked downward blocking my action bars, I even have horizontal groups or whatever it's called enabled.
    I don't have access to a BG on PTR so I can't test the following setting, but one of them should get you what you want. Switching 'Top' to 'Bottom' should get you what you want. I think.

Amazing, thank you so much. Found the reason I couldn't enable text/duration was because I had to enable "advanced" setting first. Thank you again for you pictures and easy to follow instructions, will try it asap!