View Poll Results: the interwebs will have its own language

Voters
109. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ya rly

    30 27.52%
  • rly no

    79 72.48%
Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Is internet slang becoming its own language

    do you think that in say, 100 years that internet slag could break off and become it's own language, or will it change the English language

  2. #2

  3. #3
    No. At most a dialect.

  4. #4
    No, Grammar Nazis abound keep us safe.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." -Friedrich Nietzsche

  5. #5
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,349
    I never short hand, not on the internet, and not even when typing texts.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord Zhangfei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cola, SC via Devon
    Posts
    4,357
    Doubtful, although I'd argue for a very extreme dialectic form. British internet slang and American often conflicts/doesn't make sense, for example.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

  7. #7
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,725
    Internet slang makes me sick.

    Does it really take that much more effort to type out "you" instead of "u"? Excessive over use of epic, lol, literally and like also pretty much ruined those words for me. Which sucks because they were great words until the average 12 year old learned about them.

  8. #8
    Languages are always evolving. Internet slang could do a lot of things over time.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Languages are always evolving. Internet slang could do a lot of things over time.
    list one positive thing about it.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Excessive over use of epic, lol, literally and like also pretty much ruined those words for me.
    Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayhos View Post
    every video game has gamey aspects to it

  11. #11
    Legendary! muto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Inside a Bubble
    Posts
    6,349
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    list one positive thing about it.
    It helps me to identify lazy people.

  12. #12
    Brewmaster HavelTheRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,324
    I really wouldn't be surprised if abbreviations like lol, gtg, brb eventually made their way into regular English use. But I sincerely hope that the whole text "language" just dies out even though I know it probably never will.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post
    I really wouldn't be surprised if abbreviations like lol, gtg, brb eventually made their way into regular English use. But I sincerely hope that the whole text "language" just dies out even though I know it probably never will.
    and everytime someone says that i will say "what did you say? i didn't understand you"

  14. #14
    Bloodsail Admiral De Lupe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Buildin' a sentry!
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    Languages are always evolving. Internet slang could do a lot of things over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    list one positive thing about it.
    He said things, without indicating positive or negative. Could go either way.

  15. #15
    Pandaren Monk GeordieMagpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    U.K,England, Newcastle
    Posts
    1,832
    lul ofc u nub trolololol swag yolo.



    HOWEVER, on a serious note. No it will not, and I hope to dear god it will not. A dialect of fun for rememberance AT MOST.
    Howay the lads!

  16. #16
    it is becoming a part of everyday language.
    but it's own separate language? no.

  17. #17
    I can't stand people who actually say "lol" in a verbal conversation. If you find it funny, laugh. Little things like that annoy me about it. So it's out of purely selfish reasons that I hope that it doesn't stay prominent long.

  18. #18
    Yeah it is. If you're a faggot.

  19. #19
    Pit Lord aztr0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,351
    Won't be alive to care about it.

  20. #20
    It is already its own language but it is restricted to the Internet, as it is this virtual country we are all citizens off... but no i do not think it will become a main language or even replace english, it will influence it heavily however.

    Language evolves and changes according to how it is used, and who uses it, the more and more public figures and culture starts using internet slang the more common it will become.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •