Page 1 of 11
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Have you tried acupuncture?

    Did it for a while because my doctor recommended it to me to relax me and help stimulate my appetite. Didnt really notice any change and wonder if anyone else has tried it and what their results were and why they decided to try it.

  2. #2
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,725
    Being punctured by sharp metal is usually a good thing to avoid.

  3. #3
    Old God Grizzly Willy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Posts
    10,210
    I want to know what kind of doctor recommends pseudoscience.

  4. #4

  5. #5

  6. #6
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    I want to know what kind of doctor recommends pseudoscience.
    This kind!



    Sorry, couldn't resist.

  7. #7
    The Patient Cuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Finland (North from Darnassus)
    Posts
    319
    I'd really love to try, never done it though.

    I was surprised the reaction of many here, I didn't expect people to be so... doubtful?
    I consider acupuncture in the same category with sauna, swimming in a pool of freezing water, drinking tea and whatnot. Propably no scientific proof, but if it feels good then what the hell, why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

  8. #8
    The Lightbringer Alceus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wolf's' Den
    Posts
    3,640
    Did it but without metal needles, they used those special plastic ones.
    It was damn relaxing
    Frostwolf clan is best clan!
    Tauren Shaman - Pandaren Monk

  9. #9
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,740
    I have tried it, it made no difference to me. Maybe it was because I was so sceptical and the placebo effect did not work on me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  10. #10
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    I'd really love to try, never done it though.

    I was surprised the reaction of many here, I didn't expect people to be so... doubtful?
    I consider acupuncture in the same category with sauna, swimming in a pool of freezing water, drinking tea and whatnot. Propably no scientific proof, but if it feels good then what the hell, why not.
    Except tea is actually relaxing for a reason, the same way coffee gives you energy for a reason (caffeine). Being punctured with shrapnel on the other hand probably does very little that is positive.

  11. #11
    Legendary! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    6,103
    havent tried acupuncture, but i use pressure points sometimes to help with my sinuses. works.

  12. #12
    The Patient Cuppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Finland (North from Darnassus)
    Posts
    319
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Except tea is actually relaxing for a reason, the same way coffee gives you energy for a reason (caffeine). Being punctured with shrapnel on the other hand probably does very little that is positive.
    There is caffeine in tea aswell.
    But yeah, pseudoscience or not, still would want to try
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

  13. #13
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    I was surprised the reaction of many here, I didn't expect people to be so... doubtful?
    Well, that's because (as Grokan noted above) it's pseudoscience. Most people have figured out that bloodletting has no scientific value, why not acupuncture as well?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    I consider acupuncture in the same category with sauna, swimming in a pool of freezing water, drinking tea and whatnot. Propably no scientific proof, but if it feels good then what the hell, why not.
    I'm sure there are cheaper means of administering a placebo which don't involve needles and the associated risks.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Did it for a while because my doctor recommended it to me to relax me and help stimulate my appetite. Didnt really notice any change and wonder if anyone else has tried it and what their results were and why they decided to try it.
    I have tried it and it is worthless.
    http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg
    NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  15. #15
    I tried it, but I had it done when I had no issues for it to resolve. I was also skeptical that it would do anything to begin with. So I didn't notice anything. I think there's probably some placebo effect that works for some people.

  16. #16
    Your doctor is an idiot, acupuncture is no more effective than a placebo, and carries some mild risks. He should have just given you sugar pills and told you they were magic beans instead.

  17. #17
    Moderator Remilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Avatar:ぺこ
    Posts
    8,072
    Tried it, did nothing, don't want to do it again.

  18. #18
    My mom is all new-agey and shit so I did for about 4 months as a kid, along with a whole lot of other colossal wastes of money that had no effect on my health.

  19. #19
    My son was suffering from Bells Palsy and after we had used the prescription with no positive results we decided to try out Acupuncture because we had heard positive things with it in regards to Bells Palsy. We had no expectations from the treatment but in my sons first session we seen improvemnt within 20 mins. After 4 treatments, once a week, he was completely cured. Take from that what you will, there is more to it than placebo effect. Check out You Tube and you will see others with positive results from using it.

  20. #20
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    My son was suffering from Bells Palsy and after we had used the prescription with no positive results we decided to try out Acupuncture because we had heard positive things with it in regards to Bells Palsy. We had no expectations from the treatment but in my sons first session we seen improvemnt within 20 mins. After 4 treatments, once a week, he was completely cured. Take from that what you will, there is more to it than placebo effect. Check out You Tube and you will see others with positive results from using it.
    I take nothing from it.

    Tell me how being stabbed can "cure" a nervous disorder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •