Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    My son was suffering from Bells Palsy and after we had used the prescription with no positive results we decided to try out Acupuncture because we had heard positive things with it in regards to Bells Palsy. We had no expectations from the treatment but in my sons first session we seen improvemnt within 20 mins. After 4 treatments, once a week, he was completely cured. Take from that what you will, there is more to it than placebo effect. Check out You Tube and you will see others with positive results from using it.
    If you think an anecdotes shows there's more going on than a placebo effect, you don't know what a placebo is.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I take nothing from it.

    Tell me how being stabbed can "cure" a nervous disorder.
    Why would i waste my time trying to convince you? Look it up yourself, I was answering the OP.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 01:38 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you think an anecdotes shows there's more going on than a placebo effect, you don't know what a placebo is.

    And you apparently know everything...

  3. #23
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    Why would i waste my time trying to convince you? Look it up yourself, I was answering the OP.
    I just did, the best known treatment for the disorder is adminstration of steroids. And even then it can take up to 6 months for it to be reasonably resolved.

    If you're going to spew bullshit like acupuncture can fix a nervous disorder, you better be able to support that better than "WELL THIS ONE TIME...."

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 06:41 PM ----------

    A placebo is a simulated or otherwise medically ineffectual treatment for a disease or other medical condition intended to deceive the recipient. Sometimes patients given a placebo treatment will have a perceived or actual improvement in a medical condition, a phenomenon commonly called the placebo effect.

  4. #24
    Brewmaster Roxinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,422
    had it done a few times on my ankles after spraining them bot quite a few times and after it they got stronger my mom ended up shattering her rotator cuff and had to do PT ended up going to for Acupuncture and he mobility improved much faster doing that then the pt it honestly all depends on who you go to my family always went to this asian lady named eva who actually studied this most of her life

  5. #25
    so looking something up on wikipedia is better evidence than someones personal experience? wow.. and if you did look it up you would see that I am not the only one that has had positive results from using it

  6. #26
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    so looking something up on wikipedia is better evidence than someones personal experience? wow.. and if you did look it up you would see that I am not the only one that has had positive results from using it
    Ok, I'm done.

    This thread just got way too stupid for me. Go stab yourself some more please.

    Infracted.
    Last edited by Majad; 2013-01-27 at 04:18 PM.

  7. #27
    Brewmaster Roxinius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Ok, I'm done.

    This thread just got way too stupid for me. Go stab yourself some more please.
    spoken like someone closed minded and has no clue what they are talking about

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Ok, I'm done.

    This thread just got way too stupid for me. Go stab yourself some more please.
    What a nice guy you are... see ya around champ.

  9. #29
    Why has Methanar not been infracted by this point when people get infracted for much less? He's being an ass to someone with a personal story, actual experience, assuming he knows better because his source of all knowledge is google...

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    I just did, the best known treatment for the disorder is adminstration of steroids. And even then it can take up to 6 months for it to be reasonably resolved.
    I'd rather stab myself with needles then be on some fucking steroids for half a year tbh.

    and why so angry? freakin relax, the guy said it worked for his kid, maybe it did? placebo or not, who cares?

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    My son was suffering from Bells Palsy and after we had used the prescription with no positive results we decided to try out Acupuncture because we had heard positive things with it in regards to Bells Palsy. We had no expectations from the treatment but in my sons first session we seen improvemnt within 20 mins. After 4 treatments, once a week, he was completely cured. Take from that what you will, there is more to it than placebo effect. Check out You Tube and you will see others with positive results from using it.

    Im sorry did you say he was completely cured from bells paulsy?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    And you apparently know everything...
    That's pretty much the worst retort in existence. I don't know everything, but I do know how clinical trials work, and I understand the placebo effect. If you think saying, "it worked for me!" refutes the placebo effect, you clearly do not.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 01:50 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Ondonnick View Post
    so looking something up on wikipedia is better evidence than someones personal experience? wow.. and if you did look it up you would see that I am not the only one that has had positive results from using it
    Randomized clinical trials are better evidence than personal experience, yes.

  13. #33
    Had it for TMJ problems in combination with massage therapy and a bite plate about 1/2 a year or so ago. Don't know which one (or if all of them) worked but my problems are gone so I would say it can help certain things. Felt nice too, I don't mind needles but you don't even feel them.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Im sorry did you say he was completely cured from bells paulsy?
    Yes, completely cured with no signs of it within 1 month of starting treatment. I can't say everyone would have the same reaction, he is young and kids recover quicker, but I would recommend it to everyone who asks.

  15. #35
    I've had it done twice. One was at a music festival. My allergies were killing me and as I was walking by the tent the guy said he could help, figured what the hell. He put one basically in my nose and one up between my eyes. My sinuses drained the rest of the day and my headache lessened. It worked suprisingly well.

    The second was after I had shoulder reconstruction surgery. I was going to a "full service" physical therapy place(excercise, massage, sauna and alternative medicines). They suggested acupuncture after my workouts. I would usually get 6-8 needles in and around my shoulder. While they did help, it wasn't nearly as effective as a steam or massage.

    Edit: As for the bells paulsy my fiance had it at one point. The doctor told her to just wait it out and see what happened. Three weeks later, much to my dismay she could use her whole face again. So it does tend to just go away after awhile.
    Last edited by Faithbreaker; 2013-01-26 at 07:02 PM.

  16. #36
    Banned This name sucks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    A basement in Canada
    Posts
    2,726
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithbreaker View Post
    I've had it done twice. One was at a music festival. My allergies were killing me and as I was walking by the tent the guy said he could help, figured what the hell. He put one basically in my nose and one up between my eyes. My sinuses drained the rest of the day and my headache lessened. It worked suprisingly well.

    The second was after I had shoulder reconstruction surgery. I was going to a "full service" physical therapy place(excercise, massage, sauna and alternative medicines). They suggested acupuncture after my workouts. I would usually get 6-8 needles in and around my shoulder. While they did help, it wasn't nearly as effective as a steam or massage.
    You know, there is a reason its called alternative medicine. If it worked it would just be called medicine the same way steroids, pennicilin and morphine are all categorized as medicine even though they are all very different.

    Its more of an aternative to medicine

  17. #37
    There is nothing positive to be gained from Acupuncture unless you consider Hepatitis C a positive thing.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolo View Post
    There is nothing positive to be gained from Acupuncture unless you consider Hepatitis C a positive thing.
    I'm curious how you get Hep C from an individually packed, sterile, disposible needle.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Randomized clinical trials are better evidence than personal experience, yes.
    Until you need the treatment, then you wont care what clinical trials the treatment has had. After trying what was recommended and it not working I am pretty sure you would seek alternative treatments instead of just sitting there doing nothing.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 02:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    You know, there is a reason its called alternative medicine. If it worked it would just be called medicine the same way steroids, pennicilin and morphine are all categorized as medicine even though they are all very different.

    Its more of an aternative to medicine
    No, they call it alternative medicine because of people like you

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    That's pretty much the worst retort in existence. I don't know everything, but I do know how clinical trials work, and I understand the placebo effect. If you think saying, "it worked for me!" refutes the placebo effect, you clearly do not.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 01:50 PM ----------



    Randomized clinical trials are better evidence than personal experience, yes.
    Also there are clinical trials that do show acupuncture working. One of the bigger ones was with women recovering from breast cancer surgery.

    Also the US military teaches and uses "battlefield acupuncture".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •