Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    There are a lot of videos of this kind, most of them don't accomplish their "goals", I don't see why this one will be able to do it.

I dunno, they actually have a file and are distributing it. I hope this does start a movement. There is so much with the US government, but its not like we are the only corrupt government. One step at a time I suppose.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 07:23 PM ----------

But the file could just be nothing, and a virus. Wouldn't that be hilarious!? All those people downloading it :P Although I support what annoy is trying to do, I'm not downloading that file. I don't want the government busting my door down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkusagi View Post
    I dunno, they actually have a file and are distributing it. I hope this does start a movement. There is so much with the US government, but its not like we are the only corrupt government. One step at a time I suppose.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 07:23 PM ----------

But the file could just be nothing, and a virus. Wouldn't that be hilarious!? All those people downloading it :P Although I support what annoy is trying to do, I'm not downloading that file. I don't want the government busting my door down.
    The ultimate decision makers are the people, regardless of country. The people always give consent, or not, to be governed. Some just don't take that concept seriously enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reeeealllllly bad metaphor.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what to think of this. I feel like two sides are trying to make me choose for them, while both are arguing with fear speeches. For now, I guess I'll just go with my own idea: get back to my homework.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Then there sure as hell aren't very many of them. Occupy Wall street is actually a perfect example, in that it was a leaderless, largely aimless crusade against general badness. Which is why it fizzled out. People like to feel like they're a part of something, but unless they have once central voice and one central drive provided by charismatic, well known individuals, they'll eventually lose interest. Anonymous isn't generating either of those things. Occupy Wall Street isn't a manifested failure of protests, it's a manifested failure of leaderless, decentralized movements.
    And this. They have no leader(s), no central group, nothing organized really. It's just random blobs of people doing random things and calling it justice. I can appreciate that they mean well, but really at this point, they're just handing internet rights to the US government with that terrible metaphor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I never said protests didn't work at a fundamental level?
    You likened physical protesting to a particular physical protest that utterly failed. If you weren't saying that it's a failure then what were you trying to say? I never mentioned anything about OWS, so that example seems to be in the context of protests not being successful.

Deleted
    can someone do a TL/Dr, should i be concerned about anything?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    can someone do a TL/Dr, should i be concerned about anything?
    just another "i'll believe it when i see it" moment from anon. i think that's a pretty good nutshell analysis if i say so myself
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Good on them i hope they can force change. how is it right that the can destroy someones life for doing something that millions of people do on a daily basis without even batting an eyelid.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, historically, people have proven that they deserve the right to live freely, by demonstrating that they have the capability to do so. The capability to cooperate with their fellow man, to overcome their differences, to look past oppressive dogma and come together for noble causes.

On occasion, violence to protect these comings together has been necessary, but on the whole, violence to force these comings together, collective actions against other groups has generally backfired because those groups in power are bigger, stronger, faster and more powerful to such a degree that your tiny little attack on one tiny little website mean nothing...except to give them justification to hunt you down and destroy you.

These sorts of actions do no bring people together, they do not engender hope and trust in the hearts and minds of others. They instill fear, though usually not in their target, usually it is in the minds of people they originally wished to have on their side.

And I really want to know how Anon thinks holding a secret council with their own members and deciding what's best for the internet as a whole is somehow "freedom".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that the Anonymous organization does itself a great disservice by using that "V" motif and looking like terrorist videos. I think a lot more people would take them seriously if they just remained anonymous and simply said what they were gonna do and did it instead of being so dramatic. I think many people oppose their presentation more so than their goals.

Then again, who do you turn to? Every single voice of reason has a million critics. We have had tons of people try less theatrical approaches with no success. We see how the general public views mass protest with the OWSM.

There is no ideal way to subvert the establishment.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    Did you read my post? I'm not sure where I said any of that. My point was that I don't think the military would fight US citizens. I never said anything about killing anyone, nor did I say anything about half the shit you're flying off the handle about. Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?
    Then why would you need weapons if you're confident that the military would side with you anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    And I really want to know how Anon thinks holding a secret council with their own members and deciding what's best for the internet as a whole is somehow "freedom".
    I also have issues with this. Again, I don't think they have the capability to truly harm or bully the government, at least not as a whole, but they have proven before that civilian groups are fair game. Thus far, they have used that power for "good", such as wielding it against the extremists of Westboro church, but I'm sure some would take issue with them limiting the free speech of even that group, and who's to say whom else might be effected, should they disagree with the viewpoints of other groups or prominent individuals. At what point do they become as tyrannical as that which they supposedly fight against? A sort of "Who watches the Watchers?" kind of question.
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xcentrik View Post
    Good on them i hope they can force change. how is it right that the can destroy someones life for doing something that millions of people do on a daily basis without even batting an eyelid.
    there is a difference between stealing music and stealing research papers that being said i still dont see how he was a martyr if he had gone to jail... maybe as it is not at all
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like they're just blowing more hot air, there'll be no results and it will just die down like every other one of their "attacks". To me it seems like they're convinced that hacking a .gov website means something and then adding a bluff (Which they probably do not have) will get them what they want. I mean I support their cause but the method of which they're doing it? Not so much, it's not going to get results.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-01-27 at 03:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Apparently they'll be leaking portions of it to different outlets.

I personally don't believe a word of it.

Regardless, they'll have hell to pay soon.
    No they wont. A couple idiots will though who helped them might though.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    While you can argue all you like about whether this is right or wrong, just do some research first. Regardless of what you believe no sane person is going to support someone having a maximum of 50 years and 4 years sentencing (I believe the term is shoot high aim low?) to practically force him to go to prison. MIT said they weren't even happy with the 6 months +fine offer.

We are talking about a man, who along with building a lot of great things online - was sharing public information. Read that to yourself, sharing. public. information. You should not be prosecuted for that. I don't necessarily agree with the complete abolishment of breaking ToU = a felony, but I certainly believe some changes in severity and defining of boundaries would be useful.
    I think he should have done at least 10 years in prison. It's not public information... we didn't pay for research for the whole world (including our enemies) to see. How hard is that to understand>?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 08:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Who are their innocent victims of the past? Right now people are grasping for anything that may promote change. Look at Obama. People put him in hoping for change and it turns out that he is not much different than Bush.

The amount of people that want to maintain status quo are dwindling fast. There are some that always will follow blindly, but I think more and more types of people are looking for positive change and not more of the same.
    hahah yeah I love OBama, he be continuing the good policies of bush, like drone killing. He got my vote...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I think he should have done at least 10 years in prison. It's not public information... we didn't pay for research for the whole world (including our enemies) to see. How hard is that to understand>?

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 08:16 PM ----------

hahah yeah I love OBama, he be continuing the good policies of bush, like drone killing. He got my vote...
    That kind of attitude is why we still have countries to begin with and are not just Humans.

If everyone in the world could get over themselves, their past, their religion we could be colonizing the solar system by 2100.
    Last edited by This name sucks; 2013-01-27 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post

Do you know what JSTOR is?