Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Epic! Duncanîdaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagseey View Post
    Spartacus would've killed Egyptian aswell if the soldiers hadn't come.

    Man i miss Egyptian, he was such a beast, shame Caesar isn't like that.
    Yes spartacus would have, he easily handled the Egyptian. We also did not get to see Gannicus beginning his training like we saw Spartacus, everyone is a noob at some point. Gannicus and Spartacus were both trained by Oenomaus and were shit(in comparison to gladiators) at fighting before they got trained. Gannicus was clearly beneath Oenomaus at one point as shown in the fact Oenomaus was chosen to fight Thoekoles, not Gannicus who was in the ludis at the time as well. There is nothing one can say that clearly put Spartacus above Gannicus or vice versa. Might as well just flip a coin on who would win in a fight, I honestly think they'd both come out dieing.

    I thought the Egyptian was going to be Cestus when they first introduced him and get him to switch sides. Alas, it did not happen though . He was definitely beast. I guess we still have Saxa, the female version at least.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

  2. #102
    Actually Gannicus did beat Oenomaus but I admit the later was hand chained. Thing is that Gannicus has double the experience of Spartacus and had won his freedom when Sparty was a kinky lover.
    I agree though, Saxa FTW!

  3. #103
    Then why were they evenly matched with sword? Gannicus is nice unarmed I won't deny it, but who did a nice take down on him unarmed? And don't act like Gannicus was bs'n he sure seemed serious. I admit Gannicus has Gohans secret power, Oenomaus/Android 16, but c'mon Gannicus was looking silly before that. Spartacus embarrassed the Egyptian, he just looked from the flat of his back, like "damn bruce lee".

    It's like you think Spartacus hasn't improved since taking the test of the brotherhood. We don't even know how long Batiatus had Gannicus. Spartacus improved a lot, how did Gannicus beat Crixus at his prime in skill? All those guys they show crixus killing to cement his legacy, were after.

    As for those featless champions they're just that featless. Tell me who they beat? They found the Egyptian in a hole literally and how many gladiators did he kill. Not to mention Vetius excluded people from the games at the important times for a reason, or his sponso Tullius did. Can we say fixed.
    Last edited by The Lottery; 2013-03-13 at 08:50 PM.

  4. #104
    Spartacus is the main character, hence he is supposed to be boosted by script, hence the relevant script line of matched by sword. I merely describe what I see when I say that Gannicus has shown the most skills in fighting overall and I just like his attitude of sex, drink and killing till his own death without being a brute.
    I said myself that Spartacus has improved a lot at last season. Those guys that you claim featless must have killed someone to be called champions of the perspective houses. Spartacus has been lucky but Gannicus provokes his luck, that's how it is shown.

  5. #105
    Epic! Duncanîdaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,636
    Let's get away from the whole Spartacus Vs Gannicus thing. Honestly it could be debated to no end for days. There's arguable points for either character. Lets just agree they are both badass widow makers that no one but the other could touch one on one.

    New preview clip from episode 7 came out. SPOILERS BELOW.


    What do you think this means? Could we possibly see Spartacus Vs Crassus next episode? He was trained by a former arena champion of Rome for months if not years afterall. They are least are going to have some heated words it seems.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 08:43 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Don't worry, they went out of their way to make Navia the most hateable character possible.
    They really did. I've never scene a character do such a 180 in like 3-4 episodes before. Went from cheering for her in the last episode of vengeance to hating her with a passion by episode 3 of the new season. I do understand her character though and why she is like she is after so much shit as well as how they are trying to show how love can also have a self-destructive side with Crixus as well as be a source of inspiration(like it is for Spartacus).
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-03-14 at 12:46 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    Let's get away from the whole Spartacus Vs Gannicus thing. Honestly it could be debated to no end for days. There's arguable points for either character. Lets just agree they are both badass widow makers that no one but the other could touch one on one.

    New preview clip from episode 7 came out. SPOILERS BELOW.


    What do you think this means? Could we possibly see Spartacus Vs Crassus next episode? He was trained by a former arena champion of Rome for months if not years afterall. They are least are going to have some heated words it seems.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-13 at 08:43 PM ----------



    They really did. I've never scene a character do such a 180 in like 3-4 episodes before. Went from cheering for her in the last episode of vengeance to hating her with a passion by episode 3 of the new season. I do understand her character though and why she is like she is after so much shit as well as how they are trying to show how love can also have a self-destructive side with Crixus as well as be a source of inspiration(like it is for Spartacus).

    Totally Agree regarding Naevia.. cheering at the end of vengeance as that snake finally got what was coming to him... and now I want her to be dumped in the sea.

    regarding the video, I think this is becoming a chess game now. they are simply trying to outplay one another. I don't think we will see a huge epic battle. there will be tricks played.. flanks taken.. etc..

    its all smoke and mirrors.

  7. #107
    Epic! Duncanîdaho's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Raldazzar View Post
    Totally Agree regarding Naevia.. cheering at the end of vengeance as that snake finally got what was coming to him... and now I want her to be dumped in the sea.

    regarding the video, I think this is becoming a chess game now. they are simply trying to outplay one another. I don't think we will see a huge epic battle. there will be tricks played.. flanks taken.. etc..

    its all smoke and mirrors.
    I just hope Spartacus at least gets some shots in before the end on Crassus. Fight and tactics wise. So far Crassus has been completely schooling him and it is kind of depressing for me haha. Spartacus has got to start taking advantage of his greed somehow or he's fucked. At least give Spartacus one more small victory before the end. I guess the season is called War of the damned for a reason though.

    You can't really say the city was a victory for him considering it just set him up for this. Probably would have been better off staying mobile, especially in a geographic area such as Italy.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-03-14 at 08:27 PM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    Spartacus is the main character, hence he is supposed to be boosted by script, hence the relevant script line of matched by sword. I merely describe what I see when I say that Gannicus has shown the most skills in fighting overall and I just like his attitude of sex, drink and killing till his own death without being a brute.
    I said myself that Spartacus has improved a lot at last season. Those guys that you claim featless must have killed someone to be called champions of the perspective houses. Spartacus has been lucky but Gannicus provokes his luck, that's how it is shown.
    I'm sorry but you have to explain how Spartacus is boosted by the script, when Gannicus fights are just as scripted. Champions of what houses, and how am I claiming they're featless, when you can't tell me anything they've done. Oh they're house champion, well what if their Ludus simply sucked? I just don't see these better overall skills you talk about. I mean in some ways his combat style is comical. I know the Greeks had Pankration. But how a Celt like Gannicus does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at times is hilarious to me. I mean really? Unless Gannicus invented BJJ then phuck it he is the best.

  9. #109
    I merely expressed my admiration about a character in a tv series and you took it seriously.. I am not going to argue about 'who is more badass'..
    Spartacus is the main hero of the series and being overshadowed by a secondary character, just cannot happen - although Gannicus isnt the typical secondary hero since he had a season devoted to him. Obvioulsy the script and scenario must elevate Spartacus, that's how that line of ' we are equal of sword' came.I can't tell you what feats his opponents had since it wasn't shown but I can tell you that they did kill people hence they are called champions ( title not be taken lightly at that time), for example that guy that Gannicus killed blindfolded was 'his equivalent' of a rival house.

    My admiration for the character comes from how he is portrayed as a man who understood the meaning of his life. He experiences any joy he can in a troublesome era without becoming a bloodlust brute, he has attitude towards death and plays the game with his own rules maintaining his personality rather than being a sheep.

    On top of that, when it comes to how the creators showed his combat skills, he is the only gladiator so far that has proven unarmed skills hence my comment of the historical Pankration which in modern terms was something like Muay Boran and Ju Jitsu together and it was in fact used by gladiators. Pankration was as old as Hercules mythology.

    Anyway, when it came to combat choreography, Gannicus was just amazing instead of Spartacus that was the typical -at least in first season- guy of ' I get beaten like Rocky Balboa and then I get up and somehow I kill you'. Gannicus on the other hand is the guy that when draws swords people just die. He just has the full package. He rushes alone in Roman convoys, he punches opponents to death, he beats Oenomaus, he comes out the last man standing from a free for all match, he stays back alone to hold infinite amount of Romans to save Spartacus and he simply kills the mightiest opponents in the series such as that beast in season 2 or the Egyptian. Did I mention that when he feels like it he spanks Crixus. That Crixus whom Spartacus never got to defeat... Yes, I know Spartacus has become super saya now and he had to since it wouldn't make sence to be as mediocre fighter as in season 1.

    He is just the better overall warrior and that's how many fans demanded his return. Him being clearly better than Spartacus like defeating him in their combat would cause balance problems to the scenario.
    Last edited by catablitz; 2013-03-15 at 06:59 PM.

  10. #110
    Warchief Protoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland, US
    Posts
    2,160
    I love this series....the characters, dialogue, and action are all just amazing.....sucks its the last season but it has been very entertaining.

  11. #111
    Stood in the Fire sinilaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    390
    At least we all know how it ends...

  12. #112
    Ok, so last night was great imo!

    Was amazingly satisfying to see sparty smile down @ crassus with a look of 'hah! outplayed.'

    looking forward to the next episode now.

  13. #113
    Yea, great episode! There are so many things to be shown yet, so I suspect the last episodes to be overwhelming with events.

  14. #114
    I am Murloc! Baracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,235
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    Yes, I know Spartacus has become super saya now...
    This made me lol I love Spartacus
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

  15. #115
    I really hope they won't end it like the gladiator movie where the main character is dying and is then shown running across the field to meet he wife. Since it's not clear that the historical Spartacus really died I still have hope that they get to live and flee to another country, Well, hopefully at least Spartacus with the roman woman (if she dies too, it would be too much already) and Gannicus as well. He was already free and joined the rebellion out of free will not of necessity like the escaped slaves so death as a reward for that would be too dark.

    Crixus and Naevia will probably die though. I just can't see it ending well for them. I wish they didn't but even if they let some of the main characters live, these two seem like the prime candidates to die horribly on a roman cross for dramatic effect.

  16. #116
    I'd like to see Gannicus, saxa, sparty and laeta all escape to another island. and then have a lovely romanesque orgy. xD

    Saxa and laeta.. oh my.. so sexy.

  17. #117
    man when i saw the spear go into naevia i was soo hoping she'd die! its nice to see sparty get a victory before the show comes to its final end.

  18. #118
    Did you notice how Gannicus was laughing when he and Agron pulled Spartacus away from Crixus (when the last two were fighting)?

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by catablitz View Post
    I merely expressed my admiration about a character in a tv series and you took it seriously.. I am not going to argue about 'who is more badass'..
    Spartacus is the main hero of the series and being overshadowed by a secondary character, just cannot happen - although Gannicus isnt the typical secondary hero since he had a season devoted to him. Obvioulsy the script and scenario must elevate Spartacus, that's how that line of ' we are equal of sword' came.I can't tell you what feats his opponents had since it wasn't shown but I can tell you that they did kill people hence they are called champions ( title not be taken lightly at that time), for example that guy that Gannicus killed blindfolded was 'his equivalent' of a rival house.

    My admiration for the character comes from how he is portrayed as a man who understood the meaning of his life. He experiences any joy he can in a troublesome era without becoming a bloodlust brute, he has attitude towards death and plays the game with his own rules maintaining his personality rather than being a sheep.

    On top of that, when it comes to how the creators showed his combat skills, he is the only gladiator so far that has proven unarmed skills hence my comment of the historical Pankration which in modern terms was something like Muay Boran and Ju Jitsu together and it was in fact used by gladiators. Pankration was as old as Hercules mythology.

    Anyway, when it came to combat choreography, Gannicus was just amazing instead of Spartacus that was the typical -at least in first season- guy of ' I get beaten like Rocky Balboa and then I get up and somehow I kill you'. Gannicus on the other hand is the guy that when draws swords people just die. He just has the full package. He rushes alone in Roman convoys, he punches opponents to death, he beats Oenomaus, he comes out the last man standing from a free for all match, he stays back alone to hold infinite amount of Romans to save Spartacus and he simply kills the mightiest opponents in the series such as that beast in season 2 or the Egyptian. Did I mention that when he feels like it he spanks Crixus. That Crixus whom Spartacus never got to defeat... Yes, I know Spartacus has become super saya now and he had to since it wouldn't make sence to be as mediocre fighter as in season 1.

    He is just the better overall warrior and that's how many fans demanded his return. Him being clearly better than Spartacus like defeating him in their combat would cause balance problems to the scenario.
    I don't understand why you are so hostile about the discussion. I already brought up Pankration, and no Pankration isn't Jiu Jitsu in any regards other than forearm chokes and armbars. Modern Pankration, isn't ancient Pankration, there is no Kimura or rubber guard in Pankration. If you look at art depicting ancient pankration, it is a mixture of striking and wrestling. And yes I know Herakles used Pankration to defeat the Nymeon Lion. I respect your argument but c'mon. Pankration it's self has evolved, I mean Gannicus has a romanticized version of it. Yet to me it breaks immersion, and is unbelievable. I'm sorry.

  20. #120
    Look I don't think a more fairly done breakdown of Sparty and Gannicus could be done.

    Spartacus has shown the fastest progression of skills, he is equal in to Gannicus sword to sword, which Gannicus admits. Yet he learned the two sword style much, MUCH later than Gannicus. He is better with a spear, he is a better tactician. Gannicus is better hand to hand. Gannicus is the better fancier gladiator, Spartacus is the better warrior/soldier/general.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •