Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilostromrage View Post
    1 good reason to not dump radioactive waste in the ocean... Godzilla. We dont need more godzillas.
    Another reason we dump it on the moon, atleast if a Godzilla spawns there he won't be able to kill any japanese people.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

I knew this sounded too good to be true...
    We cannot do this because the Earth is hollow... duh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollow_Earth

Deleted
    Because of Godzilla and stuff.. isn't it obvious?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post

If it's on Wikipedia then it must be true!

Deleted
    Because we've all seen Godzilla.

You probably could just dispose of all radioactive material in the deep ocean and not have any ill effects worldwide. Just like the radioactivity that was set off (many times) at Bikini Atol.

But reality is such that even though you could, and could safely, you would never convince people it was safe.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    no it wont but there are already engineering concepts to drill quite far down into the mantle and pump out oil why could we find a nice vien of magma or slow moving earth thats going in a downwords direction very slowly and just pump down the radioactive material into a part of the crust that isnt going anywhere geologicly for a couple hundred thousand years
    A radioactive junk shot?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I say send it to that great big incinerator in the sky!
    I honestly wonder what would happen if we started sending shit... especially radioactive garbage towards the sun. >_>
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    You probably could just dispose of all radioactive material in the deep ocean and not have any ill effects worldwide. Just like the radioactivity that was set off (many times) at Bikini Atol.

But reality is such that even though you could, and could safely, you would never convince people it was safe.
    That is what I hate, the media has turned public opinion so hostile towards anything at all nuclear to the point where people think living within miles of a nuclear plant can give you cancer. Nuclear energy gets an extremely undeserved bad rap. The disaster at Chernobyl sure fed the fire and is a good example of why third world countries shouldn't be messing around with nuclear energy.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I honestly wonder what would happen if we started sending shit... especially radioactive garbage towards the sun. >_>
    Probably go off-target and we'll end up nuking some planet and be at war in 5,000 years with the populace! Maybe. Possibly. Probably not. The sun is really far away, but I think the risk is that the craft crashing back to Earth would be a huge disaster, if it were loaded with radioactive material.

What we should do is create a genetically engineered dinosaur that eats radiation. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that.
    Last edited by Theodon; 2013-01-26 at 09:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda good plan, laets add 2 more options!
    1: shoot it out in space, and let it collide in some asteroids or something.
    2: Drop it in a active vulcano and put a lid on it^^
    I'm a stranger, I'm a changer.
    And I'm danger... maybe...

http://youtu.be/dNEtnyAm6S4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because a wind powered car is hard to build and a geothermal powered car is going to be... well... stationary
    All fair game. But I'm not entirely sure a nuclear powered car is a very good idea either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Why not just dump it in space, on the moon!
    Rockets tend to blow up once in a while. Not that weird considering the only major difference between a bomb and a rocket is pretty much that the blast gets directed. A rocket loaded with nuclear material blowing up in the atmosphere with far traveling winds is a 'good' way to spread that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because a wind powered car is hard to build and a geothermal powered car is going to be... well... stationary
    I dont see nuclear cars happening either. However if we can tap in the huge power that the earth and sun produce we can have an abundance of power. Stuff like that can be transformed into other usable carriers like hydrogen or just plain electricity.

Anyway the problem with most materials is that you want it to do something it doesn't want. Storage of hazardous materials is tricky because it's containment might fail out of age or from disasters. Hell the substance itself may be the cause of degradation. As of know we don't exactly have the technique to throw something into the earths core. A volcano usually spews it out... hell any hole in the earth would spew it out, man made or not.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

lol what the hell did I just read...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The chance of radiating the already terrifying sea-creatures (not to mention, do you really want the Kraken to grow legs?) irks me so much that I might not sleep tonight. Thanks!
    Also known as Faulchu

Quote Originally Posted by bekilrwale View Post
    That is what I hate, the media has turned public opinion so hostile towards anything at all nuclear to the point where people think living within miles of a nuclear plant can give you cancer. Nuclear energy gets an extremely undeserved bad rap. The disaster at Chernobyl sure fed the fire and is a good example of why third world countries shouldn't be messing around with nuclear energy.
    Honestly, I don't blame the media.

It wasn't the media that created the issue where I live where a nuclear power plant was scrapped just as it was to go online and then the company (LILCO) was bailed out by our current governor's father and a really bad entity (LIPA) was created to carry over the debt and subsequently be attacked by the governor who created it's son when it failed during hurricane Sandy. All I get out of the deal is highest electrical rates in the country and 12 days without power.

It's not necessarily a media fueled fear your dealing with.

It's a kid's being born with two heads and people dying from cancer fear, one that while being rare is real.

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    The chance of radiating the already terrifying sea-creatures (not to mention, do you really want the Kraken to grow legs?) irks me so much that I might not sleep tonight. Thanks!
    Read about Bikini Atol and all the crazy nuclear test the US government did there. None of the radiation is left in the local ocean at all.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Horace View Post
    Or how about a giant Promachoteuthis Sulcu, AKA the squid with teeth, or a Deepsea Hatchet fish, AKA WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?!

If there is even the slightest chance that they will become mutated and grow massive, I vote no on putting it underthe ocean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Why can't we just use geothermal and other sources of renewable, clean energy thereby eliminating the need to create and dump such hazardous wastes?
    Because they both suck due to needing certain conditions like wind or sun and are too expensive

---------- Post added 2013-01-26 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by helheim View Post

nuclear power isn't terrible in and of itself, people are simply afraid of what they don't understand. it doesn't help that the nuclear power industry hasn't done much to update their systems and methodology from the 70s and 80s either.
    Thats because the damn government makes it too expensive or impossible to do so by issuing asinine regulations that make it virtually impossible to build a new nuclear plant

Quote Originally Posted by zalmatra View Post
    no it wont but there are already engineering concepts to drill quite far down into the mantle and pump out oil why could we find a nice vien of magma or slow moving earth thats going in a downwords direction very slowly and just pump down the radioactive material into a part of the crust that isnt going anywhere geologicly for a couple hundred thousand years
    It sounds nice on paper, but could you imagine the chaos that'd happen when people dumped enough radioactive materials down there? How about a radioactive volcanic eruption, releasing radioactive gas into the air, that would spread far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    It's just too bad that we don't have any form of technology that can store the energy we get from geothermal- and wind-powerplants in a portable format. I theorise that it could take the form of a portable box of something like that. perhaps with some kind of connectors that allowed you to transfer energy in and out of it. I know the idea sounds a bit batty, but I think it could really work! Hey...maybe we should name it after the batty-ness of the idea...battery or something like that?
    Yes, but this theoretical concept needs to reach a certain efficiency before they will catch the eye of the majority of the market.