Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Don't tell her.

If you can buy her some fake solution lol.

Tell her that the money you'd be saving could pay for a vacation next year if she can diet without the homeopathic remedy
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Starving the body screws it up just as much as gorging on crap.

Sit her down and tell her, all she needs is a decent diet and like 4 hours of exercise a week.

500 calories a day is by no means remotely healthy. You need to tell her that it's bad for her health. Also, if you disagree with it then don't pay for it. If she really wants to continue that bogus diet (which as soon as she loses her weight and stops these drops, she's going to gain it right back by intaking a normal amount of calories), then SHE can pay for it herself. Moderation, diet changes that are reasonable (like cutting out soda or sugars), and exercise is the way to go.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

15+ Year Old Account
    Is your partner overweight? If no, tell her to stop the ridiculous diet and she looks fine. If yes, tell her the truth and suggest other alternatives. Walking 1-5 miles a day is what got me started on my significant weight loss. I still ate what I wanted but started making sure I walked every day. Also, the easiest way to get someone to exercise is to do it with them.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Aleros View Post
    Is your partner overweight? If no, tell her to stop the ridiculous diet and she looks fine. If yes, tell her the truth and suggest other alternatives. Walking 1-5 miles a day is what got me started on my significant weight loss. I still ate what I wanted but started making sure I walked every day. Also, the easiest way to get someone to exercise is to do it with them.
    If you tell a fat person they can eat A instead of B and not need to exercise as much, they'll choose B. Then again, they have no self control and will cheat the diet anyways :\

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iggie View Post
    If you tell a fat person they can eat A instead of B and not need to exercise as much, they'll choose B. Then again, they have no self control and will cheat the diet anyways :\
    Why would a fat person choose the path that requires them to workout more??? They'd choose A...
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

500 calories per day is not sustainable in the long run, meaning the MOMENT she comes off that diet she will pile back on most of the weight as her body will panic store everything she eats for a while.

There has been a lot of studies that show most sudden diets give no long term weight loss, as they are not sustainable, and the people that do them want a 6 week magic solution rather than an actual lifestyle eating change which will work.

Apart from the placebo effect of homeopathy its totally pointless, a tiny bit of something diluted to a millionth strength, well thats going to do nothing unless you fool yourself into thinking it will, and that could be accomplished with a lucky stone out the garden, jesus, or a fish taco if you believe it enough :<

10+ Year Old Account
    It's an unhealthy diet mixed with an idiotic regime. If it was a good diet then I'd suggest keeping schtum - or informing her in scientific terms that homeopathy doesn't work (and bring information so it's not what you say vs what her friends say,) but letting her use it if it's creating a positive psychological effect. However, she's just doing damage to herself through ignorance so you should certainly emphasise your worry and love for her while strongly encouraging her to get off it.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

It's wrong to let anyone believe in homeopathic remedies, they do not work.

The placebo effect is only thing to consider, but I think the reality of it is it's not very effective on weight loss.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    Tell her the truth, but that is just me, I hate seeing people live in such illusion.

Tell her the facts, and alternatives method of dieting, no point breaking the bad news to her if you haven't got an alternative ready for her.
    And with this, download and install "MyFitnessPal" onto her phone. Maybe get it for your phone too, just to make it like a team effort, even though you, OP, may not need to lose weight, you could at least use it to help make this like a team effort of only taking in a specific amount of calories per day.

This app also SERIOUSLY teaches portion control, as well. I've lost 23 pounds thanks to it. 262 down to 239 as a 6 foot 2 inches individual.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Are you concerned for her health, her weight loss, your wallet (Why isn't she paying for her own diet stuff?), or do you just hate that she is wrong and feel the need to correct her? It doesn't seem like her health is of concern to you because you would happily let her starve herself without the homeopathy. You also clearly want her on the diet enough that you're paying for this. But you seem to take satisfaction in "shooting her down" as you say, so perhaps it could be quite enjoyable for you to demonstrate to her how ignorant you think she's being.

That said, you could get involved with her process, jog/train with her, work on setting up decent meals together and ultimately showing her that she can do this, first with the stupid homeopathic meds, then show her that she did this all on her own and never needed them in the first place.

It all depends on what your priorities are in this situation.

500 calories seems drastic... but thats besides the point.

I would tell.

If she, or someone in family or friends deals with a health issue in the future, I would not like it if she went around suggesting useless pricey BS instead of medicine that actually works. It's hurtful in the long run to believe that homeopathy works.

Confront her now imho.

Eating 500 calories will just mess her body up, so when she starts to eat a normal 1500cal diet she'll gain lots of weight because her body got into a 'must store energy for 500cal starvation' mode.

Then, at some point, when she gains weight you'll say 'i told you so/i knew it wouldnt work' and you'll have a major shit storm. Take the 150$ and go see a dietician or at least confornt her co-workers. Any idiot who thinks eating 500cal is good, probably doesnt know shit about counting calories and cheats (a lot)
    Last edited by phenix; 2013-01-26 at 09:12 PM.

You know what makes you lose weight? EXERCISE! Burn more calories than you take in, a lot more and you will lose weight. It's actually very simple...

Deleted
    tell her, and then insist she re-enrolls in primary school to get the education she obviously missed out on.

I continue to be staggered that otherwise inteligent and educated people fall for this farce.

Also, tell her starvation diets are incredibly bad for her, and will not result in permenant weight loss. She needs to eat a balanced, healthy diet, and do an appropriate amount of exercise.
    Tell her to use the money she saves from not buying small vials of tap water at an extortionate price, to get herself a gym membership.

Incidentally, one of the damaging impacts of a starvation diet is cognitive impairment, which may explain the willingness to believe the bullshit claims homeopathy makes.

Diets do not work. Honestly. They may result in short term weight loss, but unless you adopt them as a lifestyle, which is usually incredibly unhealthy, you wont keep weight off. And the side effects of some diets, like starvation diets, can be quite serious.
    The only way to lose weight and keep it off is to live a lifestyle that results in burning off more calories than you consume. She needs to adopt a healthy diet, with proper portion control, which is enjoyable enought to maintain. And do enough exercise to stabilise her weight at a level she is happy with.
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2013-01-26 at 09:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you could ask her to look into paleo diet, most people lose weight on that. Just meat, fat, fruits, and vegetables. Good stuff

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Make her watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit season 1 episode 2.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Janaa View Post
    The general consensus seems to be that I should tell, though, mainly due to the negative effects of a starvation diet.
    It's certainly the most ethical choice (and honesty in a relationship is the best policy here anyway). She has to understand that fad diets and snake oil remedies aren't the way to accomplish her weight loss goal.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Make her watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit season 1 episode 2.
    This.

Also I thought in capitalism the main role of government is to prevent fraud. How is it that the prisons aren't full of these 'new age' grifters?