Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Also what controversy? Luc Montagnier was widely derided.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    That the scientific studies I linked are inconvenient to your claim, isn't a rational reason to dismiss them.
    I was curious who would have to play the "confirmation bias" card first to try to win a stupid debate. I'm glad I was able to hold out longer.

I welcome you to try disprove scientific consensus with real evidence. But I'm not holding my breath.
    18 years of personal experience aside in my own case...

Here's some for other applications of the practice:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9310601
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14734789

and as to my point earlier on how efficacy rates for CH treatments can be very odd and hard to measure:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15455406

That's a diarrhea treatment...

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 05:31 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Schmiggy View Post
    As entertaining as this has been to read, this is going around and around in circles..

He's saying that the drug is producing actual results, therefor isn't a placebo without acknowledging that the actual results could in fact be a result of the placebo effect. You've explained the placebo effect, and I'm not entirely convinced he gets it.. or rather he understands the concepts individually but when he starts to bring it all together the little voice inside his head goes "lalalalalalala not listening not listening!".

If he did however acknowledge the results were purely due to the placebo effect, I'd be genuinely interested in knowing if he continued to receive the same level of benefit as he did before..
    With a placebo effect the results are usually unreliable or inconsistent and very short-lived. It's been effective for months now. I'm also well aware of the placebo effect, I however do not agree in my case that is what is going on as my experience doesn't conform to what would be expected. Your opinion would insinuate that I have some sort of vested interest in this...like I could give a fuck beyond trying to show someone that being skeptical is fine but not to the point where it just becomes ignorance. I'm not advocating that it's all awesome and should be taken at face value because it helped some people, but saying it's 100% bullshit is disingenuous to say the least.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 05:34 AM ----------

Also what controversy? Luc Montagnier was widely derided.
    Shocking, people disagreed. Call the newspapers because that never happens.

Going to bed now, enjoy your circle jerk.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-01-27 at 12:44 PM.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Inform her how homeopathy was invented. By a single german man with some crazy ideas with no single scientific foundation.

Samuel Hahnemann (10 April 1755 – 2 July 1843)

While translating William Cullen's A Treatise on the Materia Medica, Hahnemann encountered the claim that cinchona, the bark of a Peruvian tree, was effective in treating malaria because of its astringency. Hahnemann believed that other astringent substances are not effective against malaria and began to research cinchona's effect on the human body by self-application. Noting that the drug induced malaria-like symptoms in himself, he concluded that it would do so in any healthy individual. This led him to postulate a healing principle: "that which can produce a set of symptoms in a healthy individual, can treat a sick individual who is manifesting a similar set of symptoms."

This principle, like cures like, became the basis for an approach to medicine which he gave the name homeopathy.

Today we know that the in Quinine ((R)-(6-Methoxyquinolin-4-yl)((2S,4S,8R)-8-vinylquinuclidin-2-yl)methanol) in cinchona is the reason it works against malaria (It facilitates the aggregation of cytotoxic heme. Free cytotoxic heme accumulates in the parasites, causing their deaths.).

So he based the whole idea on a wrong assumption. Information und knowledge is power. Don't let her be ignorant and stupid. Tell her that she just reduced the intake of Calories/Joule. It has nothing to do with the water or the homeopathy.

Eat less but more often and healthy food (less burgers, more salads) and moderate exercise is the key to loose weight. It's not so fancy, but definitly cheaper than 150$/month for tap water with some mumbo jumbo name.
    Last edited by Kryos; 2013-01-27 at 12:42 PM.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Your opinion would insinuate that I have some sort of vested interest in this...like I could give a fuck beyond trying to show someone that being skeptical is fine but not to the point where it just becomes ignorance.
    But you do have a vested interest in this. If it were in fact simply a placebo effect, and that what you were ingesting was completely and utterly useless, it would cause you to question the actual results, and likely any future results, thus threatening the chances of continued success with the "treatment".

By refusing to acknowledge that it may be a placebo effect, you can continue to enable it. If it continues to give you positive results, more power to you, although I'd be looking to dig down in your backyard as far as it takes to hit water and convincing myself that it was enriched with special anti migraine minerals.. that way I could get an endless supply for free.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I was curious who would have to play the "confirmation bias" card first to try to win a stupid debate. I'm glad I was able to hold out longer.
    It's funny how you apparently have no idea what confirmation bias even means.

18 years of personal experience
    Is meaningless and unscientific.

(Some of) the same authors two years later: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10391656
    "We conclude that in the study set investigated, there was clear evidence that studies with better methodological quality tended to yield less positive results."

"This study was designed as a feasibility or pilot study rather than a definitive clinical trial". They also used a 10% significance level which is quite improper. Absolutely does not prove that an inert substance has actual medicinal values.

Shocking, people disagreed.
    What's shocking is you disregarding how almost the entire scientific field disagreed.
    Last edited by semaphore; 2013-01-27 at 01:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe XKCD has the appropriate comic:

Seriously, people. Science 101. It's a placebo, and it only treats symptoms, not the root cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    If it motivates her i don't see much reason to tell her that it doesen't make a diffrence. As long as it doesen't go out of hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post

Seriously, people. Science 101. It's a placebo, and it only treats symptoms, not the root cause.
    It doesn't treat anything. There are literally not enough molecules of medicine in a homeopathic "remedy" to have any effect of significance.

It's literally a case of mind over matter - you took something that says it will make you feel better, and you feel better because you believe you should. Not because there's actual medicine going to work; no, you're just drinking an expensive bottle of water.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    If it motivates her i don't see much reason to tell her that it doesen't make a diffrence. As long as it doesen't go out of hand.
    I'd say the more serious question is why the hell are you dating a chick who believes in that crap? Horoscopes are one thing, but homeopathy?
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, 500 calories a day isn't something you should motivate people towards - it's unhealthy as hell and WILL cause health issues.
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    It doesn't treat anything. There are literally not enough molecules of medicine in a homeopathic "remedy" to have any effect of significance.

It's literally a case of mind over matter - you took something that says it will make you feel better, and you feel better because you believe you should. Not because there's actual medicine going to work; no, you're just drinking an expensive bottle of water.
    Yeah yeah, be nitpicky over it if you like. The taking of the medicine induces the placebo effect which results in alleviation of symptoms. Happy?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah yeah, be nitpicky over it if you like. The taking of the medicine induces the placebo effect which results in alleviation of symptoms. Happy?
    They aren't even taking medicine, because there's not enough active ingredients to have an actual effect. It's important to note that

It actually seems pretty out of hand to only have 500 calories... I only eat one meal a day and I'm pretty sure I still get twice that...

Hey I linked that like, 4 pages ago!

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey I linked that like, 4 pages ago!
    I'm lazy. Besides, Master Monroe is a veritable font of wisdom. He deserves credit when due.

Deleted
    Dude, 500 calories a day isn't something you should motivate people towards - it's unhealthy as hell and WILL cause health issues.
    Yes 500 Calories is a bit low. I don't know how much of a problem weight is for his/her wife. I think the lowest you can go was around 900 iirc.
    But with motivating her i meant more something like motivating her to diet.

I'd say the more serious question is why the hell are you dating a chick who believes in that crap? Horoscopes are one thing, but homeopathy?
    Well i can only assume this came after they started dating! People change a lot along the way

10+ Year Old Account
    150 euros per month for ionized water ? Talk about victims of advertisement . Talk TO HER ! It's important that she knows what she's been taking and that she needs or might need to check up on a psychologist .

I'm really disturbed by the unseen traps that exist in today's world .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes 500 Calories is a bit low. I don't know how much of a problem weight is for his/her wife. I think the lowest you can go was around 900 iirc.
    But with motivating her i meant more something like motivating her to diet.

Well i can only assume this came after they started dating! People change a lot along the way
    A bit low? It's literally a quarter of the daily recommended intake. Unless she's very small or has a metabolism which is much more active than normal (in which case she wouldn't be wanting/needing to lose weight anyway), even 1400 calories a day would qualify as "extreme weight loss."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    150 euros per month for ionized water ? Talk about victims of advertisement . Talk TO HER ! It's important that she knows what she's been taking and that she needs or might need to check up on a psychologist .

I'm really disturbed by the unseen traps that exist in today's world .
    Really? After ShakeWeights, Kinoki Pads, Potty Putters, and

-This- is the thing that disturbs you?

Deleted
    A bit low? It's literally a quarter of the daily recommended intake. Unless she's very small or has a metabolism which is much more active than normal (in which case she wouldn't be wanting/needing to lose weight anyway), even 1400 calories a day would qualify as "extreme weight loss."
    Why does 1400 calories counts as extreme weight loss? isn't the calorie intake for women about 1600?

Recommendations

The number of calories a woman needs daily varies according to age. Younger women generally need more calories than older women, as they tend to have more muscle mass and be more active. A woman aged 19 to 30 years needs between 2,000 and 2,400 calories daily. A woman aged 31 to 50 years needs 1,800 to 2,200 calories daily. Women over age 51 need 1,600 to 2,200 calories daily.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...#ixzz2JBLVHIAP
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2013-01-27 at 01:26 PM.

Why does 1400 calories counts as extreme weight loss? isn't the calorie intake for women about 1600?
    Apparently it's like 2000.