Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Tell her, even if it pisses her off, it's for her own good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    Why does 1400 calories counts as extreme weight loss? isn't the calorie intake for women about 1600?
    2000 is considered the gold standard for a man or woman of average size. Obviously, that's by the FDA though, and they're the ones that graced us with the phenomenally useless "food pyramid" for 30+ years, too.

You don't need to drastically reduce your calorie intake to lose weight. Even 200 calories will result in substantial weight loss over time, especially if you pair it with increased activity.

Honestly, it's not good for your health to lose more than a kilo or two a week, and two kilos might even be pushing it.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    Apparently it's like 2000.
    It seems like its depending on age as i see it on several websites. And well with us not knowing how old his wife is makes things a bit more difficult.
    But yes 500 is low.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    2000 is considered the gold standard for a man or woman of average size. Obviously, that's by the FDA though, and they're the ones that graced us with the phenomenally useless "food pyramid" for 30+ years, too.

You don't need to drastically reduce your calorie intake to lose weight. Even 200 calories will result in substantial weight loss over time, especially if you pair it with increased activity.

Honestly, it's not good for your health to lose more than a kilo or two a week, and two kilos might even be pushing it.
    You don't have to cut back large ammounts of calories to lose weight but it makes you lose weight much faster.
    While you need your avg amount of calories a day, as far as i know it also depends on what you do no?
    2000 calories isn't going to do you any good if you sit on you chair or lay in bed all day. But i guess it isn't like that with his wife.
    Last edited by mmoc0efa2cff2a; 2013-01-27 at 01:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Really? After ShakeWeights, Kinoki Pads, Potty Putters, and

-This- is the thing that disturbs you?
    FIFTY FIVE DOLLARS !?!? FOR A DICK LIKE CUSHION ? HMMM

Seriously people are just dumb . I heard some people payed some 500 dollars for the new iphone ...

By the way Suggested Dailty Intake of calories is 2000 for adults . Most diets suggest a balanced food intake of around 1250-1500 calories for a slight weight loss which will not lead into gaining that weight again .
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    By the way Suggested Dailty Intake of calories is 2000 for female adults . Most diets suggest a balanced food intake of around 1250-1500 calories for a slight weight loss which will not lead into gaining that weight again .
    Just to be more precise. And in any case, like someone said, it's better to reduce your calorie intake by like 200 and couple it with exercise, than to reduce it by 500-750 with no exercise.
    But people don't like to exercise, for some strange reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    Just to be more precise. And in any case, like someone said, it's better to reduce your calorie intake by like 200 and couple it with exercise, than to reduce it by 500-750 with no exercise.
    Because they have the idea that it's inconvenient. I'm still working on making it a habit for me, but since starting it I've noticed that 45 minutes a day really isn't that inconvenient.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

I'm not sure how this thread turned into semaphore attacking everyone regarding stuff that wasn't even the gist of the thread.

But, with weight loss... there is doubtful to be any placebo effect. Weight loss is nothing but balancing calories in versus calories out. Positive thinking isn't going to somehow magically change that equation.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by ichime View Post
    Sweating is like, totally annoying

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I'm not sure how this thread turned into semaphore attacking everyone regarding stuff that wasn't even the gist of the thread.
    I'm not sure how two people equals "everyone" and talking about homeopathy isn't "even the gist of the thread" titled "homeopathy". Then I realised you're oblivionx and this kind of baseless bashing is all you can muster.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I'm not sure how two people equals "everyone" and talking about homeopathy isn't "even the gist of the thread" titled "homeopathy". Then I realised you're oblivionx and this kind of baseless bashing is all you can muster.
    Any thread you're in is you attacking people throughout.

Give it a rest already angry guy.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

You should tell her that starvation diets actually have the opposite effect that she wants and will cause her to gain weight (whether she feels hungry or not) since it causes the body to go in to starvation mode and will begin to store up fat to use as energy if the food source runs dry (her body doesn't know she is doing it on purpose). You need to have 3 healthy meals a day and there should be a small snack between each one. Even just skipping breakfast can cause you to gain weight (or not lose as much as you can).

The 2000 calorie diet is based on the fact that, that is how much the avg. person will burn throughout the day just breathing and walking around. Obviously the more active you are the more you should eat especially if you exercise and work out you need to be eating a LOT more (depending on how much you could need 4-5 meals a day).

I would tell her as soon as possible because not eating enough isn't just a waste of time it is very unhealthy and will just make losing weight that much harder after she realizes it!!

Positive thinking isn't going to somehow magically change that equation.
    But stress has been proven to be a contributing factor in weight gain.

Deleted
    Warning: Be more civil please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    But stress has been proven to be a contributing factor in weight gain.
    I just don't think it could possible have a notable effect over the long haul.

How does stress affect calories in versus calories out? When you are stressed you don't exercise or you eat more?

you need to tell her without discouraging her... idk or just let the placebo wear out, shell notice its not working after a while

How does stress affect calories in versus calories out? When you are stressed you don't exercise or you eat more?
    Precisely. When stressed many unintentionally turn to "comfort foods" and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Precisely.
    Not a nutritionist but stress probably makes your body absorb nutrients better too.

I just don't think it could possible have a notable effect over the long haul.

stress changes your behaviour towards feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    stress changes your behaviour towards feeding
    That makes the argument that the placebo effect markedly reduces stress.

It's an argument and a solid one.

I doubt in practice it would yield much in the scope of actual weight loss though.

To the original point, it's the 500 calorie a day faminefest causing weight loss. Removing the effect of placebo isn't going to make the weight loss disappear with that extreme.

Oddly enough, "what works works" has merit though.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You need to tell your partner the truth. Starvation diets are very, VERY dangerous.

Make sure to remind them you don't want to stop them from losing weight and encourage them and tell them you're proud of them that they are wanting to lose weight. Wanting to actually do it is half the battle. Maybe even do some poking around yourself to find a few alternatives so that when you "take away" their current method, you have some suggestions to offer. Since you're a scientist, it shouldn't be to hard for you to find a diet or two for your partner.

Good luck!
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

That makes the argument that the placebo effect markedly reduces stress.

It's an argument and a solid one.

I doubt in practice it would yield much in the scope of actual weight loss though.

To the original point, it's the 500 calorie a day faminefest causing weight loss. Removing the effect of placebo isn't going to make the weight loss disappear with that extreme.

Oddly enough, "what works works" has merit though.
    I know 'placebo is a placebo' after all, but I have seen people enduring hunger and getting used to eating less because they thought it was some medicines doing. Sometimes we have to let people handle it themselves.