Page 1 of 35
... LastLast

Walmart hiring policy change.....

I work at Walmart, one of my managers I am on a social basis just told me of a disturbing policy change the higher ups are talking about implementing.

As of a few years ago we already no longer hire full time employees at all unless they are retired military in which case we slingshot them to salaried positions if they can.

Since the Affordable Healthcare Act we they now talking about instituting a new one.

If put into effect, all civilians will only longer be hired on a temporary basis and just cycled out and rehired for a new season as needed. The exception to this are retired military who are to be offered permanent full time positions.

So, the only way to work a position for the company where they would actually be required to offer benefits are to be someone who doesn't need them so Walmart can mooch off tricare since it will not be able to mooch off Medicare and Medicaid so much anymore......

God this company makes me sick but I have no choice but to work here till another job comes along which is limited due to a back injury I sustained in basic which I am currently dealing with the Department of Veteran Affairs for to get the VA Hospital to look at it.

Can't Walmart get sued for a change like this or something? I am not a lawyer but I really hope so cause as it stands now, they are already one of the most taxpayer subsidized private company I have ever seen that is this destructive to the american economy and the american worker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Glad something like this is illegal in my country.

Also the the thing with retired military is plain unfair (and would be illegal too I think, but not sure).
    Last edited by Tokru; 2013-01-25 at 08:46 PM.

Deleted
    I'd rather see those in need being reintergrated into civvy street, it may be unfair but thats life. It's also america, so yeah... you pretty much get fisted for working

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'd rather see those in need being reintergrated into civvy street, it may be unfair but thats life. It's also america, so yeah... you pretty much get fisted for working
    They aren't getting hired out of a sense of patriotism, they are getting hired to avoid paying benefits and mooch off tricare. If they made a law where tricare no longer provided benefits while they were employed at a company were they qualified for them, you would see Walmart cutting them as fast as they could.

10+ Year Old Account
    You KNEW this is coming, as soon as that act got passed, many people saw that coming, that is why many company warned their employee not the vote for it or it could be consequences.

The bill got passed, company need to do what they can to look after their bottom line, hence your situation.

Blame the government.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maximising profits usually trumps being nice in a capitalist society, I'm afraid. As much as I support Obama, the way the healthcare system is implemented lead to this, nothing else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    They aren't getting hired out of a sense of patriotism, they are getting hired to avoid paying benefits and mooch off tricare. If they made a law where tricare no longer provided benefits while they were employed at a company were they qualified for them, you would see Walmart cutting them as fast as they could.
    Be that as it is, there'll still doing an invaluable service for reintergrating members of the armed forces back into civvy. Alot of those men and women crack when they come back from war, and this eases them into it slowly.

I understand your pov that its simply a policy of whos cheaper to hire, but it doesnt lessen the job value itself - or the fact the employers could go a whole lot lower in hiring people.

Eitherway, it's walmart... It's a shite job all around for people, so why sweat it?

Only way to fight it is by not working there. Free market + lots of population sort of gravitate toward slavery (not the force kind, but walmart kind). It is also impossible to form an union because Walmart will simply close that shop and open another one somewhere else.

So as long as people are willing to work at Walmart for whatever reason (maybe out of desperation), this would continue and there isn't much people can do about it unless governments get more invasive on thier policies.

I have worked at a place like this before and I basically stop caring about the company. So next time when you see someone stealing something at Walmart, just keep on walking and chill.
    their moving their table over their
    they're moving they're table over they're
    there moving there table over there

Quote Originally Posted by Grym View Post
    You KNEW this is coming, as soon as that act got passed, many people saw that coming, that is why many company warned their employee not the vote for it or it could be consequences.

The bill got passed, company need to do what they can to look after their bottom line, hence your situation.

Blame the government.
    So long story short, the US companies are not capable of competing against European companies who are forced to offer better than this. Gotcha.

The bill got passed, that isn't the problem. The problem is the WAY the bill got passed. If they had changed the bill to be something similar to the Canadian style where it was all paid for directly through taxes without the need for insurance companies and they couldn't dodge it, this wouldn't be an issue. They are still making money, they just want to make it at the expense of its own people.

This and the fact they only ever seem to have 2 cashier stands open is why I never shop at WalMart anymore. "Cool story" I know.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet another good reason for me not to shop at Wal-Mart.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yet another good reason for me not to shop at Wal-Mart.
    Target is superior anyway. I don't feel like I'm going to turn a corner and see someone cooking meth in the aisle there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Target is superior anyway. I don't feel like I'm going to turn a corner and see someone cooking meth in the aisle there.
    lol Target is coming to Canada now, replacing all the Zellers stores. I can already imagine myself not going there either because that's the last thing we need in this country is another fat discounting department chain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Yeah, I live in one of these yuppie-esque neighborhoods that wouldn't be caught dead with a Wal-Mart in it. We do have a Target, and it is better, but I'd still rather frequent an independent store when I have the ability.

Hello, reasons I won't shop at Walmart? Yeah... I know we've been seeing more of each other lately and I get to know you more and more, but you're just getting so big I need you to slow down.

(More) On Topic: Yeah, not surprised. My company was talking about dropping everyone below 32 hours to make sure no one is full time to get those benefits. Luckily, I'm not involved in that "Everyone gets knocked down to 32 hours" part nor any of my fellow immediate workers, but everyone else in the company is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Can't Walmart get sued for a change like this or something?
    Can i sue you for not hiring me to do work around your house?

The 29.5 hourly work week is something a lot of companies are doing, not just wal mart.

Instead of bashing walmart you may wanna bash the policy that made them change. Swallow your pride and address the problem, not the result.

I bought a foodsaver and a case of beer at walmart a few days ago, it was a great shopping experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, I live in one of these yuppie-esque neighborhoods that wouldn't be caught dead with a Wal-Mart in it. We do have a Target, and it is better, but I'd still rather frequent an independent store when I have the ability.
    If you don't shop at a Wal-Mart...how do you know Target is better?

Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    Be that as it is, there'll still doing an invaluable service for reintergrating members of the armed forces back into civvy. Alot of those men and women crack when they come back from war, and this eases them into it slowly.

I understand your pov that its simply a policy of whos cheaper to hire, but it doesnt lessen the job value itself - or the fact the employers could go a whole lot lower in hiring people.

Eitherway, it's walmart... It's a shite job all around for people, so why sweat it?
    I know it's Walmart, I sweat it cause many people work there cause the job market is shit and we literally have no options. We jump ship the second we get an option to but many of us are stuck there literally for years before that happens and have had to put up with this bull over and over again when it should be illegal.

And you don't care that our servicemen are being exploited to mooch off taxpayer money? They aren't talking about hiring people who put in 4 or 8 years and then left, they are talking about hiring the ones who put in 20 years and retired with healthcare for life from them. They have no desire of helping our military return to the workforce as a whole. Trust me, it does lessen the job value in the eyes of many.

A decade or so back, Walmart was seen as a decent job where you could actually make a decent living if you stuck with it, now it is seen as just a slight step up from working at the carwash. Claiming you are a manager at a Walmart holds about as much respect as saying your are district manager of a laundry mat.

I think they need to implement a new change where Tricare no longer provides benefits to any service man if the job they are currently working at is required to provide it anyways. That way companies can not exploit them for cheap labor like they used to with illegal immigrants back in the day. The American people deserve better than that and our serviceman deserve more respect than to be seen as cheap labor and nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Is shopping in Walmart a prerequisite for knowing it's shit? You can step into a Walmart without being a shopper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Because I have shopped at Wal-Mart before? Doesn't mean I do now.