Poll: should shammys be allowed to use swords

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

still no swords for shammys?

do you think its silly that shammys. namely enhan shammys still arn't allowed to use swords. I do, what compounds this is that the only crafted agi wep is a sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would be stupid imo. I don't even understand why they can use fist weapons. Should've been Axes and Maces only ...
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

Might have better luck asking them to implemented an agility mace (or convert the sword to a mace) than getting them to alter the weapon restrictions.

Funny because monks can use all 1 handers, except daggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshne View Post
    Might have better luck asking them to implemented an agility mace (or convert the sword to a mace) than getting them to alter the weapon restrictions.
    a weapon converting npc is actualy not a bad idea. maybe 1k per weapon for weapon 200 - 471, 2k for 472 - 483 and 4k for all 484 and above.

Edit. the skin the weadon uses after being converted can be just a plane un-interesting skin
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2013-01-26 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    Would be stupid imo. I don't even understand why they can use fist weapons. Should've been Axes and Maces only ...
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Shaman_%28Warcraft_III%29

Shaman in Warcraft 3 are wearing some kind of metal claws.

Deleted
    Enhance Only. We still umm... "suffer" because of OLD weapon districtions. I would give away daggers anytime. Anytime! Them are uselesssss...... unless, Blizzard?

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    Enhance Only. We still umm... "suffer" because of OLD weapon districtions. I would give away daggers anytime. Anytime! Them are uselesssss...... unless, Blizzard?
    dagger use to be good for enhan in BC. there was a OP Shammy Dagger spec. now if they made daggers viable for enhan that would be nice too. maybe a passive the buffs the damage while using a dagger.

Edited to correct typos
    Last edited by krunksmash; 2013-01-27 at 05:47 PM.

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind if Blizzard reintroduced agility swords, but it just wouldn't feel right. Enhancement Shamans are, in a way, brutes. We imbue our weapons with the elements and smash our opponents, there are no subtleties involved. While fighting with a mace, axe or fist weapon requires skill, it has a different feel than the graciousness of skilled swordplay.

Fist Weapons fit the same bill as Axes and Maces. They are more ferocious, or gruff, than daggers and swords. Just wouldn't feel right to see those on my fierce totemic warrior.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-01-26 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    I wouldn't mind if Blizzard reintroduced agility swords, but it just wouldn't feel right. Enhancement Shamans are, in a way, brutes. We imbue our weapons with the elements and smash our opponents, there are no subtleties involved. While fighting with a mace, axe or fist weapon requires skill, it has a different feel than the graciousness of skilled swordplay.

Fist Weapons fit the same bill as Axes and Maces. They are more ferocious, or gruff, than daggers and swords. Just wouldn't feel right to see those on my fierce totemic warrior.
    I agree with you. But, you know, my orc doesn't care about the weapon districtions... You give him a sword, He'll imbue it with elemental power and cut off his enemies' limbs.
    Last edited by mmocf2a505393c; 2013-01-26 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorbus View Post
    I agree with you. But, you know, my orc doesn't care about the weapon districtions... You give him a sword, He'll imbue it with elemental power and cut off his enemies' limbs.
    ^^^This. when it comes to killing the enemy blunt or blade it all does the job

10+ Year Old Account
    Weapon restrictions are mostly not lore-based. They're itemization-based. They want most specs to have some restrictions, to force choices in gearing and to prevent EVERY drop being a free-for-all; same reason there's cloth/leather/mail/plate differences that they've tried to enforce. If Shaman could use swords, we'd be able to use almost every weapon in the game, the only other classes with as wide an availability would be Rogues and Warriors.

You also need to recall the lore variations of the class; if you think of your Shaman as a burly elemental warrior type, that's fine, but the Shaman class also includes witch doctor types (see Hex, for instance), and for those, daggers are pretty iconic.

Could they add swords for Shaman? Sure. They could add daggers for Paladins, too. And maces for Mages/Warlocks. They don't, and they have reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tapzer View Post
    Funny because monks can use all 1 handers, except daggers.
    Realistically speaking, the martial artsy monks in real life generally are masters of hand-to-hand combat, including a wide variety of weaponry. It ain't just about throwing punches and kicks.

Shaman, on the other hand, are highly tribal. Swords are too modern and refined for the Shamanistic vibe. Axes are amongst the oldest of weapons because, after the knife, man created something to chop lumber down. Maces are just blunt beating instruments which can be as crude as a rock bound to the end of a stick. Fists are a little iffy, but I'll still let them slide.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 04:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They could add daggers for Paladins, too. And maces for Mages/Warlocks. They don't, and they have reasons.
    It still bothers me a little that Paladins can use Axes. Axes are a bit too... primitive and undignified for them, in my opinion. And for some reason, I don't like Death Knights using Maces. I see them as the time that hacks and slashes, not crushes. Warriors, it's all fair game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

TBH I'd trade daggers for swords.

Meh. You have to put a cap on some weapons. Give shamans swords and they have access to every 1 handed weapon. You can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    TBH I'd trade daggers for swords.
    This has a pretty reaching effect on caster weapon balance. The hybrid casters can use maces/daggers, the pures can use swords/daggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can xmog them next patch so whats it matter

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    It still bothers me a little that Paladins can use Axes. Axes are a bit too... primitive and undignified for them, in my opinion. And for some reason, I don't like Death Knights using Maces. I see them as the time that hacks and slashes, not crushes. Warriors, it's all fair game.
    Bothers me, too, on both accounts. The only Pally race axes fit are Tauren. But I guess it's for some balance reasons. At least that's what I gathered.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Weapon restrictions are mostly not lore-based. They're itemization-based. They want most specs to have some restrictions, to force choices in gearing and to prevent EVERY drop being a free-for-all; same reason there's cloth/leather/mail/plate differences that they've tried to enforce. If Shaman could use swords, we'd be able to use almost every weapon in the game, the only other classes with as wide an availability would be Rogues and Warriors.
    DW monks wouldn't be caught dead with a dagger and therefore aren't limited as all weapon choices for them are sword/axe/mace.

As long as blizzard keeps making the BS weapons agi swords, the limitation is ridiculous and has no argument against it other than "uniqueness over balance". That is the only one. There is no issue with too many weapons as since wrath blizzard as intentionally done things so weapon type is a non-issue outside of a couple outliers, yet we see an agi sword most patches. We don't see str fist weapons most patches (my condolences to dk's in 4.0, though) so dk's aren't in a similar situation either.

Quote Originally Posted by krunksmash View Post
    dagger use to be good for enhan in BC. there are a OP dhammy Dagger spec. now if they made daggers viable for enhan that would be nice too. maybe a passive the buffs the damage while using a dagger.
    Tbh I can imagine swords looking good on an shaman in many cases (esp when you're a troll (which are more axes/swords than maces/fists) or draenei (which are more sword/mace than axe/fists)). I cannot in any way imagine thimough daggers looking good on any shaman, except maybe goblins. Imagine a mighty tauren with two knives. Or a mean green orc? Or a stury dwarf. Not working.
    And daggers were good for maybe 3-5 months (dunno how long it took them to fix down scaling wf/wf (using wf of different ranks to avoid the icd)). Daggers were only ever good because of that exploit. I dont see much of a difference between having a dagger or sword dangling at your side as a caster, you will hardly ever notice it anyways. But it'd be a huge difference in melee.

I voted the "for enh only" option, not because I dont think my caster brothers do not deserve them, but because there is caster weapon balance to consider.
    The only agility melee which is ever left out of a good slow agi weapon is enhance, and that's unbalanced and unfair.

Just like strenght polearms (arms), or agility 2h swords/axes/maces (prior to MoP, since feral couldn't weild swords/axes, and hunters no maces), itemizing into weilding gaps isn't blizzard's style, so I dont get why they make an exception here. I guess 1h swords are to much a centric weapon type to ignore completely, but if that's so, where would be the hurt in making them avaiable to enh shamans? I mean, there'd still be x-mog to still make them look like more primal weapon types, for those not comfortable with the style. Cant be any worse than rogues running around with giant cleavers, right?
    Last edited by Omanley; 2013-01-27 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angoth
    I'm sorry that Blizzard won't just gift wrap awesome in a cup and let you drink your fill.