Deleted

Two different Graphic Cards in One Computer?

Hello Champions,

I have a question regarding my computer and some graphiccards i have.

My Computer has two PCI-E 16x Slots. In the top slot i have a Radeon 7750. The Cooler is a bit to big ... so the second PCI-E slot is blocked. Will it make any difference if i put the card in the top or lower slot?

i have also an 9800pro. lets say i put this one in the top pci slot and the 7750 in the lower slot .... will crossfire or something take use of it? will i see any improvement? or maybe put windows aero on my 9800pro and running games on the 7750?

is there any possibility to make use of both cards?

You can't combine the cards like that. 7750 can only be crossfired with another 7750 or a 7770. That 9800pro is over 10 years old. Put it back in the basement where it belongs.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    You can't combine the cards like that. 7750 can only be crossfired with another 7750 or a 7770. That 9800pro is over 10 years old. Put it back in the basement where it belongs.
    Pretty much this, you can do SLI (having 2 cards) if the cards are basically the same model (or same series depending)

Quote Originally Posted by totmachor View Post
    Hello Champions,

I have a question regarding my computer and some graphiccards i have.

My Computer has two PCI-E 16x Slots. In the top slot i have a Radeon 7750. The Cooler is a bit to big ... so the second PCI-E slot is blocked. Will it make any difference if i put the card in the top or lower slot?

i have also an 9800pro. lets say i put this one in the top pci slot and the 7750 in the lower slot .... will crossfire or something take use of it? will i see any improvement? or maybe put windows aero on my 9800pro and running games on the 7750?

is there any possibility to make use of both cards?
    This Chart here will tell you -----> http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImage...hart_1618W.jpg

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Pretty much this, you can do SLI (having 2 cards) if the cards are basically the same model (or same series depending)
    SLI being the term for two or more NVidia cards specifically, and CrossfireX being the term for two or more AMD cards.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

15+ Year Old Account
    Two ati can not be used together unless in crossfire. Though I have heard people using nvidia or phyx cards with other graphics cards, also some people use virtu to use a graphics card and a internal gpu.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    Two ati can not be used together unless in crossfire. Though I have heard people using nvidia or phyx cards with other graphics cards, also some people use virtu to use a graphics card and a internal gpu.
    Just FYI, ATi no longer exists, some years ago they were bought out by AMD, and now the GPUs are all sold under the branding of "AMD Radeon HD."
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    WTF?!?! i only realise that now ... i remember having a x1950pro .... where did it go? why the fuck is it a 9800pro now? awwwww crap!

lets say i wont use it for crossfire ... maybe for physix or anything else ... i remember from work, where we have two graphic cards in one pc .... one normal for windows and one for medical pictures ... completely different cards working perfectly together.

WTF?!?! i only realise that now ... i remember having a x1950pro .... where did it go? why the fuck is it a 9800pro now? awwwww crap!

lets say i wont use it for crossfire ... maybe for physix or anything else ... i remember from work, where we have two graphic cards in one pc .... one normal for windows and one for medical pictures ... completely different cards working perfectly together.
    AMD cards can't run PhysX, that is for Nvidia only.

Also what you are talking about isn't working together and it probably isn't gaming cards for the consumer market, more likely they are Quadro, Tesla or FirePro cards for professional computing.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    AMD cards can't run PhysX, that is for Nvidia only.

Also what you are talking about isn't working together and it probably isn't gaming cards for the consumer market, more likely they are Quadro, Tesla or FirePro cards for professional computing.
    yes, the medical card is a firepro. but: ati/amd can run physix ...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Just FYI, ATi no longer exists, some years ago they were bought out by AMD, and now the GPUs are all sold under the branding of "AMD Radeon HD."
    Well, until about 2010, Radeon cards were still sold under the ATi brand. It's only been in the past couple of years that AMD retired that name altogether. My Sapphire Radeon HD 5850 I got for Christmas in 2009 is still branded as an ATi card. It was shortly after that (I think still in the HD 5000 series) that the ATi branding stopped.

yes, the medical card is a firepro. but: ati/amd can run physix ...
    I believe that AMD might be able to run PhysX when it is offloaded on the CPU. And I read somewhere about a patch that could enable PhysX for AMD cards, but natively it is still limited to Nvidia GPUs.

I believe that AMD might be able to run PhysX when it is offloaded on the CPU. And I read somewhere about a patch that could enable PhysX for AMD cards, but natively it is still limited to Nvidia GPUs.
    They do support CPU offloading of PhysX, it works in Borderlands 2 with my 7850 card. It will, however, lag your entire computer to hell if it has to process too many PhysX objects at once. When it gets really heavy, my FPS drops to 25-30 on a 4.6 GHz i5-2500K.

So yeah, you can do it, but make sure your processor can handle it.

Aight..

I had a Radeon 9800 Pro back in the days. Here's a flashing revelation: It's an AGP card. One of the last high-end AGP cards.

Even if you really wanted, you can't fit it in your computer. AGP is not the same as PCI slot. I can't exactly recall how it went, but I think 9800 pro was released around 2003 and the whole AGP thing started to die off somewhere close to 2005. There were some random motherboards (asrock made few at least) that had bot AGP and PCI-E slots, but you simply wont find AGP in todays boards.
    Last edited by Thes; 2013-01-27 at 12:46 AM.

Dual screen setup without CF.

Some dude put a Radeon and a GeForce card together in the same rig to power two screens (1 screen per card). This doesn't work in full screen games though, the game would show up on 1 screen and the other would display the desktop IIRC. He said that you could move windows between the two screens but there was a short lag since everything had to be re-rendered by the other card.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Eh, I know I just used ati because he said he had a 9800pro which made me think of ati instead of amd. Apples and Apples.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Well yeah, you can stick however many different cards in the computer that you want to. But if you want them to work on the same thing, they need connecting with SLI or crossfire. Does a 7750 even support crossfire?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Well yeah, you can stick however many different cards in the computer that you want to. But if you want them to work on the same thing, they need connecting with SLI or crossfire. Does a 7750 even support crossfire?
    Yeah you can run it in a 2way Crossfire setup with another 7750 or 7770.