Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
1
2
  1. #21
    Herald of the Titans Adramalech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    Your understand of basic english is flawed. The lack of "the" does not mean it cannot be a title. There is also no evidence it is not a title.

    Blizz source Quest: Hands of the enemy.
    http://www.wowhead.com/quest=6824/hands-of-the-enemy

    "We want these captains in the Molten Core destroyed: Lucifron, Sulfuron, Gehennas and Shazzrah. Kill them and bring me their hands!"
    There, an official source. His name is Sulfuron then.

    I have no problems in admitting when I'm wrong, and I am now. But without the evidence you posted now, it was nothing more than hollow claims. NOW it means something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    @ everyone claiming Sulfuron is the NPC. In the context Ragnaros uses the phrase "Taste the flames of sulfuron!" it would make no sense at all for him to be talking about one of his lieutenants who is, at the time, dead.
    In the case of Ragnaros' quote, he probably refers to the flames of Sulfuron Keep/Spire. Although Firelands only came many years after Molten Core, they had already given a name to Ragnaros' "throne" in the Firelands at the time. So if I had to bet on something, it'd be that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

  2. #22
    Brewmaster Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,274
    Again, as I said in an earlier post, Sulfuron is an element, presumably a metal http://www.wowwiki.com/Sulfuron_Ingot, or else Ingots of it would not be able to be made. I strongly believe that is what he is talking about.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Adramalech View Post
    In the case of Ragnaros' quote, he probably refers to the flames of Sulfuron Keep/Spire. Although Firelands only came many years after Molten Core, they had already given a name to Ragnaros' "throne" in the Firelands at the time. So if I had to bet on something, it'd be that.
    That is probable. But is it also possible that, since Flamewalkers are a type of fire elemental, they are simply returned to the fire realm, like Rag was, when slain.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    That is probable. But is it also possible that, since Flamewalkers are a type of fire elemental, they are simply returned to the fire realm, like Rag was, when slain.
    It still doesn't make sense because that implies that the flames of the Firelord's lieutenant are worth calling upon when you are the Firelord
    Which they obviously aren't

    It's the part of the Firelands where his house is, this is already confirmed if you just look at the map of the Firelands >_>

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It's the part of the Firelands where his house is, this is already confirmed if you just look at the map of the Firelands >_>
    No, that is Sulfuron Spire. It is confirmed "Sulfuron" is the name of a "captain" in MC, if you just read the quest Hands of the Enemy.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    It still doesn't make sense because that implies that the flames of the Firelord's lieutenant are worth calling upon when you are the Firelord
    Which they obviously aren't

    It's the part of the Firelands where his house is, this is already confirmed if you just look at the map of the Firelands >_>
    It's called Sulfuron spire, not Sulfuron.

  7. #27
    Herald of the Titans Adramalech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,741
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    That is probable. But is it also possible that, since Flamewalkers are a type of fire elemental, they are simply returned to the fire realm, like Rag was, when slain.
    I'd say that they are returned too. Lore on flamewakers is kinda foggy. Blizzard says they're elementals despite being classified as humanoids, but unlike Geddon and Garr, none of the flamewaker lieutenants returned. However, I don't honestly think the boss Sulfuron Harbinger and the quote "Taste the flames of Sulfuron!" are related at all. One is a name, the other is refering to something like a place, or a material like Schattenlied said.

    Two things can share a name without being the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by openair View Post
    No, that is Sulfuron Spire. It is confirmed "Sulfuron" is the name of a "captain" in MC, if you just read the quest Hands of the Enemy.
    So he named his house after one of his captains, rather than after the area it was built on, and then decides to use his captain's inferior power over his own in battle?
    Forgive me for being extremely sceptical of this.

  9. #29
    Brewmaster Schattenlied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    1,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    So he named his house after one of his captains, rather than after the area it was built on, and then decides to use his captain's inferior power over his own in battle?
    Forgive me for being extremely sceptical of this.
    I would assume it's called the Sulfuron spire because it is made of the material Sulfuron, not because of the place it stands. Makes more sense to me.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    I would assume it's called the Sulfuron spire because it is made of the material Sulfuron, not because of the place it stands. Makes more sense to me.
    Or maybe it's not made of Sulfuron, and it's an image, like for example (That's the only example i found in my head) Margaret Thatcher who's offtenly called the "Iron lady" even if she's not made of iron (lol).
    It would explain why one of Ragnaros lieutnants is called Sulfuron Harbinger, he's not made of Sulfuron, but it's a title, exactly like the "Iron lady".
    But it still doesn't fit with the quote "Taste the flames of Sulfuron" :/

  11. #31
    Sulfuron as a material also works but I feel like the quote parses better as "Taste these flames, fresh from the Firelands" than "Taste these flames... from my hammer"

  12. #32
    Btw the ingots are not obviously called after what they are made of, maybe it is a kind of controlled designation of origin, but i doubt about this hypothesis.

  13. #33
    Pandaren Monk docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    1,988
    He's most likely talking about his weapon, the Sulfuron Hammer.

    Words to live by.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    He's most likely talking about his weapon, the Sulfuron Hammer.
    Except that's not his weapon.
    I will not move when Flame Wreath is cast or the raid blows up...

  15. #35
    Pandaren Monk docterfreeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Finding a stranger in the alps.
    Posts
    1,988
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaese View Post
    Except that's not his weapon.
    Sulfuron, Sulfuras, same thing.

    Words to live by.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Sulfuron, Sulfuras, same thing.
    Nope, the sulfuron hammer is a replica of Ragnaros hammer, and you have to "infuse" it with the Eye of Sulfuras to make something which look like the original.

  17. #37
    It would be interesting if Sulfuron was the Fire Lord before Ragnaros. After defeating heroic Ragnaros, it is said that another elemental will rise to power and become the next Elemental Lord of Fire, so they have to keep watch over the Firelands. So it is not completely impossible for Ragnaros to not have been the original Fire Lord.

  18. #38
    I have some ideas...

    Sulfuron could be the name of an element or even the name of the lava and fire that flows through the Firelands. This is supported by things like Sulfuron Ingot and Sulfuron Hammer.

    Sulfuron could also be the actual name of the Firelands itself. Hell, Sulfuron could be the primordial name which translates into "Firelands". This can be thought of when Ragnaros states "Taste the flames of Sulfuron" as another way of saying "Taste the flames of the Firelands". This could also extend to "Sulfuron Harbinger", which could alternatively read as "Firelands Harbinger".

    Lastly, as Twilight Cultist has said before, Sulfuron could be the name of the previous Firelord who is venerated by all Fire Elementals. However in current lore there has only ever been the main four elemental lords though I guess they could expand on their history as they're doing with the Aspects at the moment.

  19. #39
    You know.. it could be both. It's not exactly a stretch for Sulfuron to be both a name and a place. It's like somebody being born on Solomon Islands, being named Solomon and eventually attaining a rank specific to that location.

    That also allows for someone to be refered to as a "Sulfuron Harbringer" while also having the name "Sulfuron."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...d_after_people

    Hell, it could even be a thing too. Sulfuron Ingots forged by the Forgemaster, Sulfuron (Who also happens to be a Sulfuron Harbringer) on the Sulfuron Peninsula!
    Last edited by Lothrik; 2013-01-27 at 04:40 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •