Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566

    Is Facebook becoming irrelevant and having same fate as Myspace?

    It might have millions of users registered (or users however they count them) but I see it slowly becoming irrelevant compared to what it used to be, at least.

    -Zynga is removing ton of games from facebook and getting lay-offs. Zynga, the king of FB games? I mean sure, most of the games werent great but it had millions of users. I guess at least FB gaming is becoming irrelevant (thank godness)
    -They are adding tons of new, and odd, ways to get money from even regular users. Pay us to promote your post - otherwise it will be hidden from 80% of page followers.
    -They are even planning on adding 0.99 dollar fee for the luxury to send message directly to someones, who isnt your friend, inbox.. not their "other box" (Its currently 100 dollars "to reduce spam on test phase")

    And many more other things relating to stuff like this and others

    As for personal experiences

    Twitter was never "the thing" over here. So I didnt see point to it. But once I started using it, it felt much better. Got more replies than in FB, send more messages than FB and just generally followed more people (not compared to pages yet)

    When I go to FB's frontpage it just screams of apathy from actual users. Hardly anyone posts statuses anymore. And I hardly see comments or likes on them that much.
    Pages use their twitter feed's or other social media feeds more actively than FB.

    Only things I see is page spam and adverts, this is where it have become then huh?

    I dont see anyone leaving it yet (where would they go, google+? haha) and since FB is easy to understand for older folks. Maybe people will stop using it but leave their profile there like on myspace and move on once theres proper site to move into.
    Last edited by Iceleaf; 2013-01-27 at 02:22 AM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,574
    Zynga is removing their shit because most of it was blatant copying of other games. It has nothing to do with Facebook popularity.

  3. #3
    For something to become irrelevant, that would imply it was ever relevant.

  4. #4
    Nothing lasts forever. At some point everything will become irrelavant and new things will replace them.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans -Ethos-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    2,644
    Facebook is stagnant, there are few ways for them to innovate, people are less trusting of it because of the security concerns, but its still far from the fate of Myspace.

    5069-5224-8275 Pokemon Friend Safari - Ice: Lapras / Snorunt / Sneasel

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Zynga is removing their shit because most of it was blatant copying of other games. It has nothing to do with Facebook popularity.
    ^Something along these lines, 50-60% of their games is just a copy&paste of their other games with the difference being changing the graphics.

  7. #7
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by N-7 View Post
    Zynga is removing their shit because most of it was blatant copying of other games. It has nothing to do with Facebook popularity.
    Did mafia wars 2 do that? I dont know. And like I said, seems to be more of FB gaming thing not fb itself. Just wanted to bring it up as part of the idea.

    Besides, when did they give a damn for copying stuff? Then again, maybe if they got sued then sure. I dont see them closing down thatVille or mafia wars 2 because "oh yeah we copied oops" :P
    Their stock prices did plummet a lot so thats the "official" (sorta rumored) reason.
    Last edited by Iceleaf; 2013-01-27 at 01:20 AM.

  8. #8
    The Insane smrund's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In the state of Denial.
    Posts
    15,503
    Anyone who really gives a shit about Facebook, probably is someone whose opinion doesn't count for much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    People in cars cause accidents. Accidents in cars cause people.
    Sometimes life gives you lemons, other times life gives you boobies. Life is always better with more boobies.
    Blizzard removed my subscription from WoD's features, it'll be added sometime later.
    And thus I give you: MALE contraception!

  9. #9
    Myspace, all we had at the end was band music spamming or any other artistic spams.

    Now all I see in facebook are cute cats, posting about some random shitty quotes, duck faces and popular meme

  10. #10
    I dont think facebook will die out anytime soon, but for sure it won't last another 10-20 years

  11. #11
    people still post non stop on mine, its pretty annoying... I hope fb dies, and every other site like it.

  12. #12
    I see a lot of people using it less. Then you have those few that spam it.

    I see it dropping in use but not dieing for awhile

  13. #13
    Stood in the Fire Confucius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    435
    in short answer, yes. All social networking sites have a lifespan. And the length of that lifespan is dictated by having a fresh new alternative. myspace died to facebook, facebook will die to something else that is not yet out there. Same goes for twitter. Someone will come up with a new hip form of instant messaging to the masses and people will flock to that.

  14. #14
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    Someone will come up with a new hip form of instant messaging to the masses and people will flock to that.
    R.I.P. MSN messenger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Myspace, all we had at the end was band music spamming or any other artistic spams.

    Now all I see in facebook are cute cats, posting about some random shitty quotes, duck faces and popular meme
    Yeah, true. But if you aint there, people suddenly become unable to know what you are up to and wont get any contact with you when somethings up. Its like we need device what you can carry around and be talk to someone thro space with it and then send messages and receive them with same method. Science, get on it.

    At same time, people want to know about your day or organise events and get-togethers - but they dont want to make effort anymore to, idk - ask, and just wait for FB status change or event pop up.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    -Zynga is removing ton of games from facebook and getting lay-offs. Zynga, the king of FB games? I mean sure, most of the games werent great but it had millions of users. I guess at least FB gaming is becoming irrelevant (thank godness)
    Zynga is not Facebook, any special treatment they may have received ended with the contract they had.

    And if the numerous game invites I get a day are any indication, gaming is not slowing down at all on Facebook. If anything, it is speeding up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    -They are adding tons of new, and odd, ways to get money from even regular users. Pay us to promote your post - otherwise it will be hidden from 80% of page followers.
    That's simply untrue. The sponsored post is a tool that businesses can use to make sure everyone sees a post. If you don't elect to sponsor your post, then it behaves the same way it always has.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    -They are even planning on adding 0.99 dollar fee for the luxury to send message directly to someones inbox, not their "other box" (which is currently 100 dollars "to reduce spam on test phase")
    The fee for messages is only for people who are not your friends... Atm, if you try to send a message to someone who you're not friends with, it won't send. You will never have to pay to send messages to people on your friends list (or even friends of friends, I believe).

    Facebook may be evolving (possibly for the worse), but I don't think it is becoming irrelevant.

    As for spam, and lack of statuses, I think that's on you... Facebook gives you the tools so you can stop that (only show Status Updates and Photos, for example)... My Facebook feed is almost nothing but statuses and photos.

  16. #16
    Facebook has always been irrelevant to me as well as myspace. Better question is why do you care?

  17. #17
    I sure hope so, Facebook is a disease that ruin people's lives. Facebook was created to manipulate you.
    It takes up most of your time, poeople spend several hours everyday looking at their phone to stay connected to facebook. Zombies man, zombies..
    I hope it dies a painful death.

  18. #18
    have never used facebook and i never will.

  19. #19
    Epic! Iceleaf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Santa Destroy
    Posts
    1,566
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Facebook has always been irrelevant to me as well as myspace. Better question is why do you care?
    Conversation, theories, opinions. I like em. And I am not sorry :P

    edit:

    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    That's simply untrue. The sponsored post is a tool that businesses can use to make sure everyone sees a post. If you don't elect to sponsor your post, then it behaves the same way it always has.
    Lot of pages had status saying that "if you dont add us to interest list the statuses show only to random people out of everyone following/liking us unless we promote our post".

    The fee for messages is only for people who are not your friends... Atm, if you try to send a message to someone who you're not friends with, it won't send. You will never have to pay to send messages to people on your friends list (or even friends of friends, I believe).
    Doh, forgot to add "someomeone who is non-friend". But still. 0.99 directly instead of "other" box? Maan.

    Facebook may be evolving (possibly for the worse), but I don't think it is becoming irrelevant.
    Going for worse yeah. Irrelevant? Sorta. Like I said earlier, people expect you to be there to contact you - but dont actually use it anytime else.

    As for spam, and lack of statuses, I think that's on you... Facebook gives you the tools so you can stop that (only show Status Updates and Photos, for example)... My Facebook feed is almost nothing but statuses and photos.
    Maybe, thus personal experiences part. I dont want to go on saying its on everyone. But it certainly has dropped over time thats for sure. Pages and photo spam has replaced actual statuses (or hidden message chatting).
    Last edited by Iceleaf; 2013-01-27 at 02:21 AM.

  20. #20
    The Lightbringer N-7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,574
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceleaf View Post
    Did mafia wars 2 do that? I dont know. And like I said, seems to be more of FB gaming thing not fb itself. Just wanted to bring it up as part of the idea.

    Besides, when did they give a damn for copying stuff? Then again, maybe if they got sued then sure. I dont see them closing down thatVille or mafia wars 2 because "oh yeah we copied oops" :P
    Their stock prices did plummet a lot so thats the "official" (sorta rumored) reason.
    When EA hauled their ass into court for copying the Sims and bunch of other games. I remember it being a class lawsuit against them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •