Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,782

    Wild Dolphin asks Divers for help

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21176914

    A wild dolphin caught in a fishing line comes to divers and allows them to remove a fishing line caught in its fins which would have killed it.
    Simply amazing. How anyone can think that animal's are not intelligent is beyond me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  2. #2
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,907
    Never trust an animal that grins all the time, it is up to something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  3. #3
    if it wasn't for us, i'd say dolphins would eventually become full on sentient. but, i doubt they will get the same chance we got :/

  4. #4
    A rare pink kind of dolphin actually has 40% more brain mass than humans.
    Prey on the weak and you will survive, prey on the strong and you will live.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Howard Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    4,137
    Go home dolphin, you are drunk.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

    "This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

  6. #6
    Immortal Sigma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Just outside of Wigan, England.
    Posts
    7,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    if it wasn't for us, i'd say dolphins would eventually become full on sentient. but, i doubt they will get the same chance we got :/
    After seeing a wild animal behave like this, IE asking another species for help, and more importantly knowing that the divers where helping it and moving in a way to allow the diver to help it it makes me believe that we do not credit them with enough intelligence. It would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that they are "as sentient" as we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    Sigma : Super Intelligent Giant Moldy Anchovy

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord JfmC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Antwerp City
    Posts
    4,399
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Never trust an animal that grins all the time, it is up to something.
    Dolphins can be pretty mean and drown humans, the sickest part is that they will keep smiling while murdering :S
    I love dolphins!
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    I'm proud to be xenophobic.
    Quote Originally Posted by qu1rex View Post
    Leaving the EU would not in any way pose a negative impact on the UK's economy or means/ability to trade with countries within the EU.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    After seeing a wild animal behave like this, IE asking another species for help, and more importantly knowing that the divers where helping it and moving in a way to allow the diver to help it it makes me believe that we do not credit them with enough intelligence. It would not surprise me in the slightest to find out that they are "as sentient" as we are.
    it's possible they are slightly sentient. i mean, they speak to each other with what seems to be language, they do things like this quite frequently. perhaps they are at the level we were just before caveman days. what i meant though, they could have gone on to be what we are now. but because humans are the way we are... i doubt they will get the chance to do so.

  9. #9
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    if it wasn't for us, i'd say dolphins would eventually become full on sentient. but, i doubt they will get the same chance we got :/

    I have the radical idea that dolphins should be considered sentient and given protective rights, along with many of the great apes.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 03:10 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    it's possible they are slightly sentient. i mean, they speak to each other with what seems to be language, they do things like this quite frequently. perhaps they are at the level we were just before caveman days. what i meant though, they could have gone on to be what we are now. but because humans are the way we are... i doubt they will get the chance to do so.
    You should see this video. A whale shows clear understanding of what's going on and obviously shows gratitude to being freed.


  10. #10
    That's pretty cool.

    Dolphins be smart, yo.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    Q: But who are the forum QQers going to QQ at now?
    A: They'll find another name and still miss the point that Blizzard designs as a collective.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord UnifiedDivide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    4,158
    That was pretty awesome!

    It's stuff like this that always makes me a little sad that it's also my species that tends to kill them... Hell, this one would have died if it hadn't sought out help. We are givers and takers of life it seems. Ah, Humans...

    Sometimes updated...

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    if it wasn't for us, i'd say dolphins would eventually become full on sentient. but, i doubt they will get the same chance we got :/
    I really have no idea what you're driving at.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 09:27 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    I have the radical idea that dolphins should be considered sentient and given protective rights, along with many of the great apes.
    I think this is increasingly becoming a non-radical idea. I'm generally inclined to agree with it.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    it's possible they are slightly sentient. i mean, they speak to each other with what seems to be language, they do things like this quite frequently. perhaps they are at the level we were just before caveman days. what i meant though, they could have gone on to be what we are now. but because humans are the way we are... i doubt they will get the chance to do so.
    The problem that dolphins have with evolving in a similar way to humans are mainly the fact that they have no hands. They can not use tools.
    The human opposable thumb is what let us really progress beyond any other animals. We could make more and more advanced tools, which meant that higher and higher intelligence was needed to invent, create and use those tools. The tools also gave a HUGE advantage to the smartest individuals and groups, meaning that our evolution was very focused.

  14. #14
    Elemental Lord Noomz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    In my head, where crazy happens.
    Posts
    8,749
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I really have no idea what you're driving at.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 09:27 AM ----------



    I think this is increasingly becoming a non-radical idea. I'm generally inclined to agree with it.
    Even if neither species does half of the things we get up to, they are still emotional, social and intelligent beings. They feel joy, they are great learners (apes can be taught sign language), there's even a chimp that can "make" a fire and knows that cooking things with it. So even if they don't build cities or anything like that, they're definetly deserving of protection and rights like humans are.

    Here's the chimp and his use of fire. He actually uses a lighter, all on his own. Ofcourse he has been taught after having shown interest in it, but he keeps on doing it on his own volition.


    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 04:18 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The problem that dolphins have with evolving in a similar way to humans are mainly the fact that they have no hands. They can not use tools.
    The human opposable thumb is what let us really progress beyond any other animals. We could make more and more advanced tools, which meant that higher and higher intelligence was needed to invent, create and use those tools. The tools also gave a HUGE advantage to the smartest individuals and groups, meaning that our evolution was very focused.
    Though dolphins (Porpoises) use their brain for different things, like sonar, something we're incapable of. I don't think dolphins and apes are less worthy of respect just because they can't make tools. They're clearly superior to us in other aspects.
    But you're right, our evolution became very focused once we started making tools. The evolution of dolphins is completely different, as you say.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2013-01-24 at 03:19 PM.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    A rare pink kind of dolphin actually has 40% more brain mass than humans.
    Brain mass, hovever, isn't indicative of inteelignece/sentience. First of all, a larger body requires more brain capacity simply to run all the non-concious processes of the body. Secondly, human brain is close to an optimum size in terms of the kind of brains that have evolved on this planet. Larger brains suffer from more lag and signal decay as the distances of communication between nerve ends in the brain grow, and simply putting more nerve endings into the same space would make the brain incredibly vulnerable to physical trauma, to the point where simply banging your head to that cupboard door could cause massive, permanent brain damage. It's why brain/body mass ration hasn't been a concistent indicator of relative intelligence levels, and blue whale isn't the smartest thing on the planet.

  16. #16
    Moderator Anakso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    4,699
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Dolphins can be pretty mean and drown humans, the sickest part is that they will keep smiling while murdering :S
    I love dolphins!
    Not all dolphins, just the evil ones. Don't stereotype!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by kivipää View Post
    Brain mass, hovever, isn't indicative of inteelignece/sentience. First of all, a larger body requires more brain capacity simply to run all the non-concious processes of the body. Secondly, human brain is close to an optimum size in terms of the kind of brains that have evolved on this planet. Larger brains suffer from more lag and signal decay as the distances of communication between nerve ends in the brain grow, and simply putting more nerve endings into the same space would make the brain incredibly vulnerable to physical trauma, to the point where simply banging your head to that cupboard door could cause massive, permanent brain damage. It's why brain/body mass ration hasn't been a concistent indicator of relative intelligence levels, and blue whale isn't the smartest thing on the planet.
    I know that but it has been proven dophins have their own language, chitchat, have sex for pleasure and are really smart.
    Prey on the weak and you will survive, prey on the strong and you will live.

  18. #18
    Is it wrong I like animals more than people?
    http://i5.minus.com/iT9gBOC94PbmU.jpg
    NON SINE DIIS ANIMOSUS INFANS
    Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Accessibility, ownership, availability; these are all essentially the same thing.

  19. #19
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimfrost View Post
    A rare pink kind of dolphin actually has 40% more brain mass than humans.
    Yes, but they are also endangered and only live, as far as I remember, in the Amazon River.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-24 at 06:02 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Is it wrong I like animals more than people?
    No, not at all.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Yes, but they are also endangered and only live, as far as I remember, in the Amazon River.
    They do sound delicious...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •