1. #1

    Can my PSU handle future upgrades?

    I am planning on upgrading once the next gen of i7s and nvidia GPU are released.

    Right now i am using a HX 650.

    To be specific I want to get a 6core i7 and SLI 780s as well as an H100i. I also currently have 2 HDD and 1 SSD.

    Will that PSU be enough for that hardware?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer CheezusCrust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nuuk, Greenland
    Posts
    3,279
    Why do you want a 6core i7?

    We don't have any power consumption statistics on the 780 yet, so we wouldn't be able to tell.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Why do you want a 6core i7?

    We don't have any power consumption statistics on the 780 yet, so we wouldn't be able to tell.
    Streaming, video editing and gaming.

  4. #4
    Depends how old it is, it should be ok, as long as you don't OC your CPU.

    BUT isn't 850w better for dual GPU?

  5. #5
    The reason i am asking is because I want to start looking for an 850 on sale sometime between now and then if it looks like I should upgrade.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by defer09 View Post
    Streaming, video editing and gaming.
    Totally off topic and I apologise, but I've noticed a lot of people wanting overkill parts for "streaming and video editing", is there really that many people who stream on twitch.tv, and have a youtube channel? How many viewers do they really get?

    But anyway, if that's what he wants let him get it. Plus I can't imagine the next gen GPU's being radically different in power usage.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    Totally off topic and I apologise, but I've noticed a lot of people wanting overkill parts for "streaming and video editing", is there really that many people who stream on twitch.tv, and have a youtube channel? How many viewers do they really get?

    But anyway, if that's what he wants let him get it. Plus I can't imagine the next gen GPU's being radically different in power usage.
    I know it is probably overkill for me but I have the money and I would rather be safe then sorry. I don't want to regret my purchases and I know I wont if I go higher then needed.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by defer09 View Post
    I know it is probably overkill for me but I have the money and I would rather be safe then sorry. I don't want to regret my purchases and I know I wont if I go higher then needed.
    Hey if you've got the cash to spare, who gives a shit mate! Rock out with your cock out!! lol. You'll be the envy of a lot of MMO-C'ers.

    And if money is not an issue, go for an 850 that way you're covering your back.

    Good luck and enjoy! :-D

  9. #9
    High quality PSU but not knowing what power consumption you're looking at for 2x780 + 6-core i7 I cannot tell you for sure. My guess though: Since that would be tight with the 680 today I am guessing no, you can't upgrade with that PSU.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •