Did I just fuck up royally? [ A graphics card issue ]

So yeah, I just changed my graphics card from nvidia gt 220 to an nvidia gtx 460. Everything went fairly well first, the card fit in and everything. When I decided I'd put the old card back in to remove the drivers, and that's when the problems started.

Computer starts up, but there's no video signal and I hear a long beep and two short ones after it. Tried to google around a little but haven't actually seen any solutions. This happens on both cards, so I'm guessing the socket is faulty? What could I do in a case like that? Also I don't think the cards are loose or anything, they don't really budge any more than the 220 did when I tried it before.

Hoping I didn't manage to break two cards in some muppety fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Soilx3 View Post
    So yeah, I just changed my graphics card from nvidia gt 220 to an nvidia gtx 460. Everything went fairly well first, the card fit in and everything. When I decided I'd put the old card back in to remove the drivers, and that's when the problems started.

Computer starts up, but there's no video signal and I hear a long beep and two short ones after it. Tried to google around a little but haven't actually seen any solutions. This happens on both cards, so I'm guessing the socket is faulty? What could I do in a case like that? Also I don't think the cards are loose or anything, they don't really budge any more than the 220 did when I tried it before.

Hoping I didn't manage to break two cards in some muppety fashion.
    I don't know why you put the old card back in to remove the drivers? Put the 460 back in, make sure it's seated correctly and go from there. When you install the drivers, check the little box that says Fresh Install.

If it still starts beeping, most likely you damaged something when taking the 460 out and putting the 220 back in. That or you forgot to connect the power supply to the cards. I never tried turning a computer on without having the cards power connected, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't POST beep.

As for what the 1 long, 2 short beeps mean, look up your mobo manufacturer and look at the manual, it will tell you.

I am no expert but if it was me I would remove the graphics card, use the motherboard VGA and remove all drivers, then do a clean install.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't break them, make sure every cable is connected properly and haven't popped off.

Here's the cables you need to check:

2x4 pin connector on the motherboard
    Power connectors for the GPU's

If they're all plugged in, try to replug them all.

If that doesn't work, try to reset the CMOS
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    Did you plug the power connectors back into the cards?
    Did you do it while the pc was turned on?

Silly questions I know but someone has to ask.

After a quick google search for boot up dash dot dot beeps it only showed things related to power issues, though there were more shor beeps for the google search.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't mention which motherboard you have, look up the beep signals on the manual.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Did you plug the power connectors back into the cards?
    Did you do it while the pc was turned on?

Silly questions I know but someone has to ask.
    I actually didn't plug any power connectors in. My old 220 never had any cables on it, so I figured this one wouldn't need any either? I'm seeing a load of what I assume are power connectors strapped with cable ties, not connecting anywhere, but they never have been connected anywhere so I'm not seeing why should they now. I love noticing what a complete newb I am with stuff like this.

Also, when I boot the computer the fan on the card is spinning so that has to be a good sign, right?

Regarding the beep codes, I can't for the life of me find the manual and got no clue what my mobo is. Everywhere I've googled though says it's a video card issue.

If that doesn't work, try to reset the CMOS
    I watched the video but I don't really see how that could help me considering I can't get any video feed onto the monitor so I guess I wouldn't be able to actually set any of those settings.

I am no expert but if it was me I would remove the graphics card, use the motherboard VGA and remove all drivers, then do a clean install.
    Got no clue what or where is the motherboard VGA.

Very grateful for all of your replies guys.

---------- Post added 2013-01-25 at 05:13 PM ----------

Happy to report everything's working, just had to plug in the power connectors. Smack me on the head please :3

Dude you gotta use the 6 pin power connectors for that video card.from a 220 to a gtx 460 you are look at a card that takes a lot more power to run. I use a GTX 460 as well. You may need a new power supply depending on how many watts it puts out.
    Personal Rig: AMD FX-8350 / Gigabyte Windforce G1-GAMING GTX 980 / 8-GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1600Mhz / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w PSU / Corsair Carbide Air 540 / NZXT Kraken x60