Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    GW2 - My Concise Opinion

    Having done this a number of times to be met with the 'omg im not reading all that' crap only to then have the same people cry at me because i fail to take the time to explain things, well this is it in a concise and clear manner.

    - Dynamic Events: were supposed to shape the world around you, however, they dont. on repeat every few minutes removes immersion, it also begins to knaw at you and make you realise 'whats the point' in fighting off the centaurs only to have them back at it again in a few minutes. adding to this, they removed simply the middle man of clicking on someone and adding that quest to your log. i prefer the old method because i then pace the world to me, not the other way around. and because of the nature of DE's, the limitations are fairly obvious. the same very very mundane types of quests are used so frequently no matter where you are in the world, again, any other mmo with traditional quest systems are able to mix it up completely because it can then be coded in for you to 'ride on a giants back' or 'take to the skies and bomb the baddies' because its your world that you're changing. and once a quest is done in other mmos, it stays done, ive completed it never to be attempted again.

    - sPVP: esport dreams went down the shitter when all their talk about balancing went out the window and you still have an unbalanced playing field with favourites being the pick of the day. the problem with having people boost to 80 is that anyone can choose or make any class, walk into The Mists and boom off you go. THATS why it will never be an esport because it'll always be the game of 'whats the most overpowered'. i simply cant make a rogue in WoW in 2 minutes, i have to level them up and MAYBE thats why having a system that simply boosts you to max level for competitive play was never a worthwhile thing to do.

    - wvwvw: banking on the DAOC crowd, they thought they could make a mode which would make you feel like you're truly fighting for your server. problem is, you need a four wheel drive to cover the vast and stupid distances the size of the maps have before you to even reach the battles. then its zerg zerg zerg. other games have done this, give better rewards, incentives and reasons to fight, unfortunately, like everything else, gw2 stole the idea and then dumbed it the fuck down so the chimps in the local zoo could pick it up.

    - classes: gw1 did the classes in gw2 far far better with obvious exception to the classes that werent available like the engineer etc. 8 completely customisable skill sets (wait, i hear you say OMG ITS FOR BALANCING PURPOSES) yes, and look back to what i said about spvp. its unbalanced, still is, so this issue of having only 5 to tinker with, 2 which are still locked to a specific role (healing and elite) leaving only 3 truly swappable skills is well, pathetic. using gw1 as the supreme example of how to do it right, what the fuck happened? oh i know, they went for the casualised market. (on a side note, its funny how people rag on WoW for being casual yet defend gw2?) hmmm

    - crafting/trading post: um, yeh its shit. and lets be honest, the way its setup is just sad. every man and his dog throws their garbage onto there like its the universal rubbish dump. and because anet hold the strings on what things can and cannot cost, you find that that gem shop starts to twinkle even more for you to spend (yeh, anet need to make money, but they shouldnt have asked for a box price if they wanted to play 'nerf my own shit' with the playerbase.

    - diminishing returns: in gw1 this existed but not to the nazi levels it is in gw2. and its funny, WHY didnt they have this in the betas? they wait 2 weeks after launch when a bulk of sales have come in to then hit folk with this nerf. what it does is essentially cut down anything that you're trying to farm after say 30 minutes to basically zilch. anet have this real big fear of farming yet they make a game where acquiring money and materials is a fucking chore. good job i say /s

    - world: zones are pathetic. for a 2012 release they couldnt stream the entire world? zones were created to house the dynamic events plain and simple but since every race has every zone so heavily themed in how it looks from one zone to the next, it gets tiresome. christ even in gw1 there was more diversity between the zones than in gw2. they basically made one big land mass and walled it off, not the other way around. each zone in other mmos really feels like its own flavour, but the human zones as an example in gw2 are ALL the same. same bloody mobs, same bloody asthetic look. 6 years and this is all they could do?

    so, theres my thoughts, adding in the fact that they added in ascended gear which goes against all the trashing they did of other mmos so they could get people in the door only to fuck them in the face. anyone defending these kinds of decisions needs help, you're not a gamer, you're a fanboy who will bleed arenanet at any and all costs. you dont market something only to turn your back on it and then expect those people to support it. called false advertising.

    people whine at me for misinformation, and yet GW2's own manifesto is the biggest pile of it this side of the known universe.

    lets hope gw3 goes back to its roots, or at least hires the help back that made it the great game it used to be.

  2. #2
    Do you get paid to make GW2 look bad? Or is something wrong with you? If you don't like it simple do not play the game. Why lurk around the game forums when you hate it so much?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post
    Do you get paid to make GW2 look bad? Or is something wrong with you? If you don't like it simple do not play the game. Why lurk around the game forums when you hate it so much?
    thanks for your well done contribution. i wonder how many thought the gw2 fanboys were being paid to go around and troll wow forums oh wait

    Constructive criticism of the game is fine (like your OP), however insulting others is not. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2013-01-28 at 12:32 AM.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    thanks for your well done contribution. i wonder how many thought the gw2 fanboys were being paid to go around and troll wow forums oh wait
    I am a former WoW player (Quit mid Cata) and have played the game since Vanilla. Wow is a great game but I simply do not have the time for it and GW2 is just perfect for me because its casual friendly, people are nice and I do not have to play everyday. I do not have to play 24/7 to collect PvP gear to be competitive and the same goes for raiding as well.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post
    I am a former WoW player (Quit mid Cata) and have played the game since Vanilla. Wow is a great game but I simply do not have the time for it and GW2 is just perfect for me because its casual friendly, people are nice and I do not have to play everyday. I do not have to play 24/7 to collect PvP gear to be competitive and the same goes for raiding as well.
    i barely raid and yet i play wow nearly every day. i guess i dont feel those chains binding me like some folk do.

  6. #6
    All your posts lost their credibility a long time ago, especially when you said that GW2 graphics looked like a game from the NES console. You have created this thread at least three times and you say the same things same time. Infinite, it's time to move on, at least post something legit besides blind hate.
    Last edited by Exroyal; 2013-01-27 at 11:51 AM.

  7. #7
    InfinteRetro frothing about GW2 again? Must be a day that ends in y.

  8. #8
    I have yet to understand how one person who obviously dislikes game so much , can basically live in forums dedicated to it.

  9. #9
    Just because dynamic events repeat does not mean they dont shape the world around you and does not mean it kills immersion. It actually makes sense. If a centaur tribe wants more territory of course they are going to keep attacking towns until they take them. Name one War where a battle over something was lost and after regrouping and discussing new stratigies they didnt try to attack the same place.

    As far as im concerned if i were an RPer i would love how events spawn and repeat as it would help immerse me in an ever changing world. And a peaceful town one minute and the next minute its overrun by pirates is an ever changeing world.

    As to quests in other MMO's being able to mix it up. Sorry just no. All quests in any type of RPG not just MMO's are Kill this, Find this, Go here, Talk to This. There is nothing else. We play these games because of that even tho ppl say they hate it, i have no idea why when thats what RPG's are, you either get told what to do and you do it or you go explore and do what ever you want, and there is both of this in GW2. You can do personal stories and get told where to go or you can do heart quests and get told what to do or you can explore and do the events you want to do.

    As to the Zones Even WoW doesnt have a 100% seemless world where you can fly between continents and dont give me that they are too far away. Their instance zones are just bigger. But GW2's zones look way better and have alot more polish.

    Pretty sure WoW also has diminishing returns although not on the same things as GW2 its still put in place so ppl cant exploit certain things that werent ment to be exploited. Take what happened on Illum in Swtor for example, ppl exploited kills to get ranked up faster so diminishing returns were put in place. GW2 had ppl running 1 or 2 things over and over again which is not what the game is about, so diminishing returns were put in place so that you could see more of the game and not feel like this is the only optimal way to play.

    Actually thats presicly why it will be an esports is because you can pick up a class and test it right away. Your given a full deck of skills and runes to work with and you just have to practice like you do in any game with a build that you like. Last i checked Esports games dont have levels. Everyone is given the same things and its up to the player to get better. SC2 no one has more power its all about strategy and your build. Ppl who play LoL im pretty sure those games dont have levels and although i think you can buy new characters it doesnt mean those are more powerful than the current. Esports has to do with a level playing field not leveling your toon from 1 to max
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2013-01-27 at 01:08 PM.

  10. #10
    Guys, do what zeek does, counter argument. This is a forum so there are two things that can be happening
    1. Infinite is wrong regarding certain things and doesn't realise it.
    2. Infinite is wrong regarding certain things and knows it but posts deliberatly (aka trolling).

    Either way attacking infinite doesn't help.
    1. If he's wrong prove it (or disprove his claims) so that uneducated people can see/deduce for themselves who is right or wrong.
    2. If he's trolling you're all just being trolled so he's "winning" the internets.

    Reacting the way everyone did before Zeek just makes uninformed people back off or think that we (the mmo-c gw2 forum community) are all blind fanboys.
    edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A90uT...ndex=1#t=4m26s untill 4m45s is a very important sentiment, for both parties involved.
    Last edited by Meledelion; 2013-01-27 at 12:45 PM.

  11. #11
    Pandaren Monk Maarius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Austria (EU)
    Posts
    1,971
    Yeah, he had nothing positive to say about the game since long before release of GW2, one has just look at his post-history.

    I respond to that nonsense, since somebody who doesn't know Infinite might actually believe that...

    - world: zones are pathetic. for a 2012 release they couldnt stream the entire world? zones were created to house the dynamic events plain and simple but since every race has every zone so heavily themed in how it looks from one zone to the next, it gets tiresome. christ even in gw1 there was more diversity between the zones than in gw2. they basically made one big land mass and walled it off, not the other way around. each zone in other mmos really feels like its own flavour, but the human zones as an example in gw2 are ALL the same. same bloody mobs, same bloody asthetic look. 6 years and this is all they could do?
    I don't see any problem, tons of events happen in the zones instead of just enemies standing around waiting to be killed. Areas might be peaceful at one time and raided by hordes of enemies (houses burn, piles of stones block a passage,...) so the world DOES change. You need a lot more processing power to adress this so zones (which are huge btw) need to be closed.

    Zones lack variety? Lol, it seems you don't know the game at all.
    Plains of Ashford
    Diessa Plateau
    Fields of Ruin
    Blazeridge Steppes
    Iron Marches
    Fireheart Rise
    Queensdale
    Kessex Hills
    Gendarran Fields
    Harathi Hinterlands
    Bloodtide Coast
    Caledon Forest
    Metrica Province
    Brisban Wildlands
    Sparkfly Fen
    Mount Maelstrom
    Straits of Devestation
    Malchor's Leap
    Cursed Shore
    Wayfarer Foothills
    Snowden Drifts
    Lornar's Pass
    Dredgehaunt Cliffs
    Timberline Falls
    Frostgorge Sound
    Southsun Cove
    Last edited by Maarius; 2013-01-27 at 01:15 PM.

  12. #12
    The problem in spvp is not that you get to pvp instantly since your char lvl up to max. As far as I understand it those f2p moba stylish games dont have any leveling system, perhaps certain classes as unlocks for cash or ingame currency but that's it. It doesnt effect the viability or popularity of the game.
    However, balance issues is a problem, and it's taking way long to fix... not right things are done, wrong things are done (focus on underwater skill balance), a company afraid or too lazy for hotfixes making bugs stay longer, bugs has been in game since beta and are still there, one map option promoting certain gamestyles making certain classes stronger and some weaker. They have lots of issues that they dont work hard enough to fix. Even with right implementation within this year people will still remember: this is a company that takes way long to fix things and that doesnt communicate to their players... and that is a reputation probably totally unneeded but that will take years for them to get rid of, and as things seems they are more likely to just sustain that rep.

    However, and this is never discussed, there is no incoming competition to GW2 spvp style anytime soon, and any wise company would make use of that situation to seriously add resources and get their shit right. If they do they can manage to get a quite dominating place in the market. I wish I could say that ANet is a wise company, but I think that they will do the wrong priorities, giving spvp just a wee bit attention every now and then and take the easy way out with pve focus like all the other mmos. It's a shame really, but not news. They got everything good in front of them to success and can't complain on anything, if they fail it's simply on their own feet... every other sane company would take use of this opportunity. There is no competition now, but eventually there might be and as soon as that game start smelling launch GW2 burnt all it's chances and have no way to recover in the spvp field. The time is now or never.
    Your lord is under attack! Your lord is under attack!

  13. #13
    @Tea

    When ever you have player vs player there is going to be imbalance. As for the game type making certian classes stronger and others weaker i completely disagree. It makes certain builds stronger and others weak not the classes themselves else everyone would roll just the strong classes. As long as there is a counter for everything you can do its balanced. When something becomes uncounterable then changes need to be made. And just because you dont have the counter to a certain build in your group doesnt mean the game is unbalanced it just means you need to think about what your going to face each match and how to deal with what you come across. Not We cant beat that team because they have so and so running overpowered build number 3 and reserve teammate number 6 is sick today so we dont have faceroll counter to overpowered build number 3.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Having done this a number of times to be met with the 'omg im not reading all that' crap only to then have the same people cry at me because i fail to take the time to explain things, well this is it in a concise and clear manner.

    - Dynamic Events: were supposed to shape the world around you, however, they dont. on repeat every few minutes removes immersion, it also begins to knaw at you and make you realise 'whats the point' in fighting off the centaurs only to have them back at it again in a few minutes. adding to this, they removed simply the middle man of clicking on someone and adding that quest to your log. i prefer the old method because i then pace the world to me, not the other way around. and because of the nature of DE's, the limitations are fairly obvious. the same very very mundane types of quests are used so frequently no matter where you are in the world, again, any other mmo with traditional quest systems are able to mix it up completely because it can then be coded in for you to 'ride on a giants back' or 'take to the skies and bomb the baddies' because its your world that you're changing. and once a quest is done in other mmos, it stays done, ive completed it never to be attempted again.

    - sPVP: esport dreams went down the shitter when all their talk about balancing went out the window and you still have an unbalanced playing field with favourites being the pick of the day. the problem with having people boost to 80 is that anyone can choose or make any class, walk into The Mists and boom off you go. THATS why it will never be an esport because it'll always be the game of 'whats the most overpowered'. i simply cant make a rogue in WoW in 2 minutes, i have to level them up and MAYBE thats why having a system that simply boosts you to max level for competitive play was never a worthwhile thing to do.

    - wvwvw: banking on the DAOC crowd, they thought they could make a mode which would make you feel like you're truly fighting for your server. problem is, you need a four wheel drive to cover the vast and stupid distances the size of the maps have before you to even reach the battles. then its zerg zerg zerg. other games have done this, give better rewards, incentives and reasons to fight, unfortunately, like everything else, gw2 stole the idea and then dumbed it the fuck down so the chimps in the local zoo could pick it up.

    - classes: gw1 did the classes in gw2 far far better with obvious exception to the classes that werent available like the engineer etc. 8 completely customisable skill sets (wait, i hear you say OMG ITS FOR BALANCING PURPOSES) yes, and look back to what i said about spvp. its unbalanced, still is, so this issue of having only 5 to tinker with, 2 which are still locked to a specific role (healing and elite) leaving only 3 truly swappable skills is well, pathetic. using gw1 as the supreme example of how to do it right, what the fuck happened? oh i know, they went for the casualised market. (on a side note, its funny how people rag on WoW for being casual yet defend gw2?) hmmm

    - crafting/trading post: um, yeh its shit. and lets be honest, the way its setup is just sad. every man and his dog throws their garbage onto there like its the universal rubbish dump. and because anet hold the strings on what things can and cannot cost, you find that that gem shop starts to twinkle even more for you to spend (yeh, anet need to make money, but they shouldnt have asked for a box price if they wanted to play 'nerf my own shit' with the playerbase.

    - diminishing returns: in gw1 this existed but not to the nazi levels it is in gw2. and its funny, WHY didnt they have this in the betas? they wait 2 weeks after launch when a bulk of sales have come in to then hit folk with this nerf. what it does is essentially cut down anything that you're trying to farm after say 30 minutes to basically zilch. anet have this real big fear of farming yet they make a game where acquiring money and materials is a fucking chore. good job i say /s

    - world: zones are pathetic. for a 2012 release they couldnt stream the entire world? zones were created to house the dynamic events plain and simple but since every race has every zone so heavily themed in how it looks from one zone to the next, it gets tiresome. christ even in gw1 there was more diversity between the zones than in gw2. they basically made one big land mass and walled it off, not the other way around. each zone in other mmos really feels like its own flavour, but the human zones as an example in gw2 are ALL the same. same bloody mobs, same bloody asthetic look. 6 years and this is all they could do?

    so, theres my thoughts, adding in the fact that they added in ascended gear which goes against all the trashing they did of other mmos so they could get people in the door only to fuck them in the face. anyone defending these kinds of decisions needs help, you're not a gamer, you're a fanboy who will bleed arenanet at any and all costs. you dont market something only to turn your back on it and then expect those people to support it. called false advertising.

    people whine at me for misinformation, and yet GW2's own manifesto is the biggest pile of it this side of the known universe.

    lets hope gw3 goes back to its roots, or at least hires the help back that made it the great game it used to be.
    After reading your post, I have a couple of questions and general remarks.
    Let's start with some general remarks:
    - first of all, you call this a concise opinion. However, it seems to me like your trying to sell your opinion as facts, which is just wrong.
    Just because you're entitled to your own opininion, does not mean that you should disregard everyone else's.
    - second of all, let's talk about the tone of your posts. You're really setting a negative and non-constructive tone in your post, which will likely spread to the rest of the thread. All of the passages I have set out in bold are passages that are unnecessarily harsh and hostile and could have been easily altered or left out. If you continue to write in said tone, I can guarantee you that will get nothing but non-constructive posts back from the majority of the people who post on this forum.
    - Third of all, I want you to take a look at the bold italic part of your post. That right there is what we call a personal attack, and this one came out of no where. Personal attacks aren't exactly the best way to win over a crowd, but a personal attack against 95% of the people that post on this forum, without any incentive (at least in this thread), well, that's just ignorant. That sentence made your post lose any credibility it had and made anyone who backed you up untill then back down. My advice would be: the next time you start thread, leave out the personal attacks, because they will only turn everone against you even more.

    okey, now that is said, let's go into depth on the points you brought up:

    dynamic events: I actually have to agree with you on that one, they do cycle too fast. My question right here would be: what would you do to improve those dynamic events? you already mentioned you prefer the old system of having a questlog, but that system had its own limitations as well (blocks of text that break immersion, no feeling of an actual impending attack). what would yo have in mind as the ideal questing system?

    sPvP: I actually disagree with you on that one. In all my years as an MMO-player I have never found it so easy to try a new tactic or a new build as in GW2. Sure, people might be capable of creating classes on the fly, but just because you play a certain build, doesn't mean that your any good at it. For every class (even the simplest) there's a learning curve and the reason why some players are overpowered might not solely be because of their build. This is just my opinion on it, of course.

    WvWvW: I don't agree with this for several reasons. first of all, you're given all the waypoints when you enter the map, so teleporting around isn't a problem (unless your trying to teleport into a keep that is under assault, but that would make the defensive party to powerfull). second of all, the zones are not much bigger than the PvE zones I've encountered and I've run through those as well. Third of all, and I know that the discussion about this is still active, WvWvW isn't just about Zergs. You can have fun in WvWvW playing as a small group. I have to back you up on the incentives part though.

    classes: I actually have to disagree with you when it comes to classes in GW1 vs. classes in GW2. I genuinly think the classes in GW2 are better than the classes in GW1 for the following reason: Builds in GW1 had less limitations and were therefore more complicated than builds in GW2. Back when I played GW1 (even if it was just for a little while), my biggest gripe with the game was that they gave you access to every skill in the game and then told you to figure out which skills to use how to use them on your own. I was quite young back then, but I still have the same sentiment nowadays. Any game (not just MMO's) should give their players enough guidance to get into the combat system. This doesn't mean that the game has to hold the players hand every step of the way, but at least far enough to get the player interested in the combat system and GW1 never did that for me. GW2 on the other hand did give me that push and made the combat system (and with that the classes) much more interesting to me.

    Crafting/trading post: Here I only have one question for you: why do you think the crafting and trading post system are bad in this game? You say it's sh*t, but the only argument you seem to give is that anyone can post anything at almost any price. Could you please elaborate on your stance about this?

    diminishing returns: all right, I have to admit that it was a bad move of Anet to introduce diminishing returns the way they did. However, I do believe they had a good reason to introduce it, since players and bots everywhere were turning this game into more of a grind than it already was. If you wanted to get rich pre-diminshing returns you either had to be very lucky or you had to grind like the best of them. however, I do agree that Anet could have been a tad more lenient on their anti-grind rules.

    World: Of course they could connect all the zones to each other and made one big, persistent world, but that would probably be too demanding when it comes to loading said world. The reason why this worked in GW1 was because you were alone in the world and the game only had to load the environment and NPC's. Now imagine loading a world filled with hundreds of players, who are all doing their own stuff, on an old computer. It would take ages and that would turn off players who don't have the money to invest in a new computer. Atm, it takes my machine a good minute to load lion's arch, and that's a rather confined zone. Imagine spending that much time (or more) every time you use a waypoint. That is what I call immersion breaking.

    I also disagree with the point you made about the zones being to heavily towards specific races. Of course, there are some zones (usually starter zones) that are themed towards specific races, but that is to be expected, since it's their homeland. However, the majority of the zones is not themed towards 1 races and a lot of zones even have influences of several races in them. When it comes to zone diversity, I sincerely think that this game is about as diverse as any other MMO out there.

    Well, that's my two pence, I hope it helps.
    Accusing someone of breaking the forum rules is backseat moderating.
    Accusing someone of backseat moderating is backseat moderating.
    Therefore, due to its nature, backseat moderating will lead to nothing more than circular discussions.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    1. Dynamic Events: were supposed to shape the world around you, however, they dont. on repeat every few minutes removes immersion, it also begins to knaw at you and make you realise 'whats the point' in fighting off the centaurs only to have them back at it again in a few minutes. adding to this, they removed simply the middle man of clicking on someone and adding that quest to your log. i prefer the old method because i then pace the world to me, not the other way around. and because of the nature of DE's, the limitations are fairly obvious. the same very very mundane types of quests are used so frequently no matter where you are in the world, again, any other mmo with traditional quest systems are able to mix it up completely because it can then be coded in for you to 'ride on a giants back' or 'take to the skies and bomb the baddies' because its your world that you're changing. and once a quest is done in other mmos, it stays done, ive completed it never to be attempted again.

    2. sPVP: esport dreams went down the shitter when all their talk about balancing went out the window and you still have an unbalanced playing field with favourites being the pick of the day. the problem with having people boost to 80 is that anyone can choose or make any class, walk into The Mists and boom off you go. THATS why it will never be an esport because it'll always be the game of 'whats the most overpowered'. i simply cant make a rogue in WoW in 2 minutes, i have to level them up and MAYBE thats why having a system that simply boosts you to max level for competitive play was never a worthwhile thing to do.

    3. wvwvw: banking on the DAOC crowd, they thought they could make a mode which would make you feel like you're truly fighting for your server. problem is, you need a four wheel drive to cover the vast and stupid distances the size of the maps have before you to even reach the battles. then its zerg zerg zerg. other games have done this, give better rewards, incentives and reasons to fight, unfortunately, like everything else, gw2 stole the idea and then dumbed it the fuck down so the chimps in the local zoo could pick it up.

    4. classes: gw1 did the classes in gw2 far far better with obvious exception to the classes that werent available like the engineer etc. 8 completely customisable skill sets (wait, i hear you say OMG ITS FOR BALANCING PURPOSES) yes, and look back to what i said about spvp. its unbalanced, still is, so this issue of having only 5 to tinker with, 2 which are still locked to a specific role (healing and elite) leaving only 3 truly swappable skills is well, pathetic. using gw1 as the supreme example of how to do it right, what the fuck happened? oh i know, they went for the casualised market. (on a side note, its funny how people rag on WoW for being casual yet defend gw2?) hmmm

    5. crafting/trading post: um, yeh its shit. and lets be honest, the way its setup is just sad. every man and his dog throws their garbage onto there like its the universal rubbish dump. and because anet hold the strings on what things can and cannot cost, you find that that gem shop starts to twinkle even more for you to spend (yeh, anet need to make money, but they shouldnt have asked for a box price if they wanted to play 'nerf my own shit' with the playerbase.

    6. diminishing returns: in gw1 this existed but not to the nazi levels it is in gw2. and its funny, WHY didnt they have this in the betas? they wait 2 weeks after launch when a bulk of sales have come in to then hit folk with this nerf. what it does is essentially cut down anything that you're trying to farm after say 30 minutes to basically zilch. anet have this real big fear of farming yet they make a game where acquiring money and materials is a fucking chore. good job i say /s

    7. world: zones are pathetic. for a 2012 release they couldnt stream the entire world? zones were created to house the dynamic events plain and simple but since every race has every zone so heavily themed in how it looks from one zone to the next, it gets tiresome. christ even in gw1 there was more diversity between the zones than in gw2. they basically made one big land mass and walled it off, not the other way around. each zone in other mmos really feels like its own flavour, but the human zones as an example in gw2 are ALL the same. same bloody mobs, same bloody asthetic look. 6 years and this is all they could do?

    8. so, theres my thoughts, adding in the fact that they added in ascended gear which goes against all the trashing they did of other mmos so they could get people in the door only to fuck them in the face. anyone defending these kinds of decisions needs help, you're not a gamer, you're a fanboy who will bleed arenanet at any and all costs. you dont market something only to turn your back on it and then expect those people to support it. called false advertising.
    1. I have to agree, the world doesn't change enough (scale wise) and the things that change change to rapidly. As you stated the perfect example: Centaurs are attacking the village=> defend the village=>Hunt down leader of centaurs=>nothing=> centaurs are attacking the village.
    Let's say you "fail" at defending, now the cycle becomes. Kill the centaurs=>defend the village from reinforcements=hunt down loeader=>nothing=>centaurs are attacking the village.

    An easy way to fix this would be to up the scale and add more events so you rotate throught hem less. For example:
    Centaurs are attacking the village=>defend the village=>Set up defences by gathering X of Y (now the village has walls to help it in the future)=> Escort an architect to the village => centaur threat is still around ->kill leader=> and so on.

    This way the world would actually change as you play. A farm becomes a village which becomes a town and so on.

    2. Although I agree on your conclusion I have to disagree on the reason. Tournament Realm in WoW is a lot more competitive than normal PvP since people can play around with set-ups a lot more (imo TR should be 24/7, where you pay less for the game and can only acces arenas and let's say stormwind/thunderbluff but I digress)
    You're completely ignore experience as a factor. What you're doing is saying that in any FPS game (levels don't exist) person A plays a sniper and person B plays with assault rifles. B keeps killing A so A decides to change to an assault rifle. Now that he has the same weapon all of a sudden he'll be on equal footing.

    Imo the problem lies in lack of leaderboards, meaningful ranks, game modes, spectator mode and the lack of fixing clearly broken mechanics (thief stealth),...

    3. This is not true. As many videos have been linked with 5v40 and the 5man team winning it is clear this isn't the case. Another note would be that taking points is a lot easier if you're splitting off into two(or more) groups so that you can attack from two sides.
    Look at it as a massive domination game, what is more effective running with your group of 5 to every single point and pulverising any lower amount of people or running in smaller groups and capping more while evading the big group due to mobility?

    4. You can't say there are only 3skills to tinker with due to disregarding the healing and elite skill, you also can't say that your weapon skills don't add diversity.
    For the first part if elites and healing skills aren't important then why do some people run RaO while others run Entangle and others run the Spirit? Same goes for thief, I've seen all three of their elites being used in sPvP. So there clearly is a way of adapting your elite.
    Healing skills have the same mechanic. Elementalists used to run with Glyph of Elemental Harmony, while people now are gravitating towards the signet. Same for warriors, you have those who use the signet and others who use mending or healing surge.
    Now for weaponskills not adding diversity, there are lots of types of thieves there's the dd BS build, dd DB, sp PW, sp venom share,...

    Granted there was more diversity in GW1 but that doesn't make this game "static" all of a sudden. It's like saying 10/10 is good and anything below that is bad.

    5. I have no clue what you're on about here... A-net has no hand in TP-prices, they only control the gemshop. Also I am sitting on 300g atm have transfered quite some gold into the gem-shop to get more character slots etc. And I've never used real money to obtain my "wealth".

    6. DR was/is pretty harsh in GW1, I don't know if you were around before the afc but the difference is huge. They've made it stricter and stricter further down to the point where farming for longer than 1h in any area isn't worth it. The reason (most) people would still farm there would be due to DR still being up on another zone. In GW2 I've farmed events for up to 3H and still would get 3rares/event (grouped +mf gear).

    7.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Snip
    8. Yes ascended gear was a slap in the face. However it's not that big of a deal, as long as a-net doesn't add any other tier after ascended they still hold their promise.
    The reason ascended gear was such a hard blow was due to bad communication (something which a-net/GW2 suffers from), they had planned to implement this from start (they've worked for a long time on fotm) but didn't release this info soon enough.

  16. #16
    Scarab Lord Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Finlanders
    Posts
    4,826
    If you look very closely at InfiniteRetro's post, you can see that he is biased.

    http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=49544321
    Just look at the threads he has made. xD
    Heyoo!

  17. #17
    Nest, you're not helping. As I've said before go for what he says not for who he is. You're just coming across as a fanboy to anyone who isn't informed/a regular on this part of mmo-c (and I doubt new people will care enough to check posting history...)

    It would help a lot if everyone who didn't contribute in any way shape or form, be it to agree or disagree with the OP would delete their post.

  18. #18
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    369
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    Zones lack variety? Lol, it seems you don't know the game at all.
    While I don't fully agree with him, I think he does have a point: In Queensdale, Kessex Hills, Gendarran Fields, and Harathi Hinterlands you keep fighting centaurs (and to a lesser degree bandits and pirates). Now, a consistent storyline (rather than a patchwork of unrelated zones) is not necessarily a bad thing, but the centaurs/bandits/pirates are awfully generic (i.e., boring) baddies. And if you follow the zones for the human storyline, you'll actually hit level 45 and will still be fighting centaurs, same as you did in your tutorial.

    Luckily, there are plenty of other areas of the game that do not have this problem (for example, the Charr zones have a delightful amount of variety, despite a consistent look and feel), but these days I do frequently avoid the human/centaur areas for just this reason.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    Now, a consistent storyline (rather than a patchwork of unrelated zones) is not necessarily a bad thing, but the centaurs/bandits/pirates are awfully generic (i.e., boring) baddies. And if you follow the zones for the human storyline, you'll actually hit level 45 and will still be fighting centaurs, same as you did in your tutorial.

    Luckily, there are plenty of other areas of the game that do not have this problem (for example, the Charr zones have a delightful amount of variety, despite a consistent look and feel), but these days I do frequently avoid the human/centaur areas for just this reason.
    This is not a problem with zones, this is a problem with Foes. The issue is that bandits/centaurs/pirates can be identified as 2-3 professions (war, ranger, ele).
    The reason these are pretty bland in comparison to others is due to all those zones being low level and thus their skills/ai are rather simplistic.
    if you look at the World-Map this stands out. The Charr homelands go from 1 to 70. The Norn homelands also go from 1 to 80! And the Sylvari/Asura zones go from 1 to 25 and then from 45-60 (with a smooth transition to 70 thanks to mount maelstrom).

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    Having done this a number of times to be met with the 'omg im not reading all that' crap only to then have the same people cry at me because i fail to take the time to explain things, well this is it in a concise and clear manner.

    - Dynamic Events: were supposed to shape the world around you, however, they dont. on repeat every few minutes removes immersion, it also begins to knaw at you and make you realise 'whats the point' in fighting off the centaurs only to have them back at it again in a few minutes. adding to this, they removed simply the middle man of clicking on someone and adding that quest to your log. i prefer the old method because i then pace the world to me, not the other way around. and because of the nature of DE's, the limitations are fairly obvious. the same very very mundane types of quests are used so frequently no matter where you are in the world, again, any other mmo with traditional quest systems are able to mix it up completely because it can then be coded in for you to 'ride on a giants back' or 'take to the skies and bomb the baddies' because its your world that you're changing. and once a quest is done in other mmos, it stays done, ive completed it never to be attempted again.

    - sPVP: esport dreams went down the shitter when all their talk about balancing went out the window and you still have an unbalanced playing field with favourites being the pick of the day. the problem with having people boost to 80 is that anyone can choose or make any class, walk into The Mists and boom off you go. THATS why it will never be an esport because it'll always be the game of 'whats the most overpowered'. i simply cant make a rogue in WoW in 2 minutes, i have to level them up and MAYBE thats why having a system that simply boosts you to max level for competitive play was never a worthwhile thing to do.

    - wvwvw: banking on the DAOC crowd, they thought they could make a mode which would make you feel like you're truly fighting for your server. problem is, you need a four wheel drive to cover the vast and stupid distances the size of the maps have before you to even reach the battles. then its zerg zerg zerg. other games have done this, give better rewards, incentives and reasons to fight, unfortunately, like everything else, gw2 stole the idea and then dumbed it the fuck down so the chimps in the local zoo could pick it up.

    - classes: gw1 did the classes in gw2 far far better with obvious exception to the classes that werent available like the engineer etc. 8 completely customisable skill sets (wait, i hear you say OMG ITS FOR BALANCING PURPOSES) yes, and look back to what i said about spvp. its unbalanced, still is, so this issue of having only 5 to tinker with, 2 which are still locked to a specific role (healing and elite) leaving only 3 truly swappable skills is well, pathetic. using gw1 as the supreme example of how to do it right, what the fuck happened? oh i know, they went for the casualised market. (on a side note, its funny how people rag on WoW for being casual yet defend gw2?) hmmm

    - crafting/trading post: um, yeh its shit. and lets be honest, the way its setup is just sad. every man and his dog throws their garbage onto there like its the universal rubbish dump. and because anet hold the strings on what things can and cannot cost, you find that that gem shop starts to twinkle even more for you to spend (yeh, anet need to make money, but they shouldnt have asked for a box price if they wanted to play 'nerf my own shit' with the playerbase.

    - diminishing returns: in gw1 this existed but not to the nazi levels it is in gw2. and its funny, WHY didnt they have this in the betas? they wait 2 weeks after launch when a bulk of sales have come in to then hit folk with this nerf. what it does is essentially cut down anything that you're trying to farm after say 30 minutes to basically zilch. anet have this real big fear of farming yet they make a game where acquiring money and materials is a fucking chore. good job i say /s

    - world: zones are pathetic. for a 2012 release they couldnt stream the entire world? zones were created to house the dynamic events plain and simple but since every race has every zone so heavily themed in how it looks from one zone to the next, it gets tiresome. christ even in gw1 there was more diversity between the zones than in gw2. they basically made one big land mass and walled it off, not the other way around. each zone in other mmos really feels like its own flavour, but the human zones as an example in gw2 are ALL the same. same bloody mobs, same bloody asthetic look. 6 years and this is all they could do?

    so, theres my thoughts, adding in the fact that they added in ascended gear which goes against all the trashing they did of other mmos so they could get people in the door only to fuck them in the face. anyone defending these kinds of decisions needs help, you're not a gamer, you're a fanboy who will bleed arenanet at any and all costs. you dont market something only to turn your back on it and then expect those people to support it. called false advertising.

    people whine at me for misinformation, and yet GW2's own manifesto is the biggest pile of it this side of the known universe.

    lets hope gw3 goes back to its roots, or at least hires the help back that made it the great game it used to be.
    I stopped playing GW2, but I don't see it as negative as you do.

    Five things that ruined it for me:

    1. Empty world, the land mass is huge but their server capacity is low, so there were very few people across that huge land mass. I like my mmo social and crowded.

    2. Loading between zones. The world should have been a single giant zone. Overflow server is not for me either.

    3. Lack of immersion: Character and camera movement didn't feel as natural as wow. I got used to GW2 for a while, but still i would not achieve full immersion because of the artificial feel of the character and camera movement. Music was also subpar.

    4. I like to play healers.

    5. No raids. And they defended that adamantly, that was a big put-off. If they said they could do end game content in a year or so, I could have stuck with GW2. But they were very firm on no raids approach, which left me no hope and no choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •