1. #1

    Flamboyant Gays vs The Average Homosexual Male.


    Pictured: Flamboyant gay TV host Carson Kressley vs gay TV host Kyan Douglas.

    I'm a straight male, and looking from the outside in, I can see at least part of the reason why homophobia still exists. I have absolutely 0 problem with anyone's sexuality, whether gay, straight, asexual etc. In fact I really don't care. But there are certain behavioural and personality traits often associated with gay males that are slightly off-putting. These stereotypes might not necessarily be true, but I feel the media has done an effective job of solidifying these stereotypes in our minds. If they are indeed only stereotypes.

    I am speaking of flamboyance. The overly enthusiastic gay man with a smile from ear to ear that is flailing his arms around and speaking in a high pitched voice. The guy that goes on about how "fabolous" everyone looks and is likely to be carrying a pink man purse. The guy wearing open toe sandals and giggling loudly. I don't like that guy. That guy is annoying. More importantly, that guy is annoying whether he was gay or straight.

    Now my point is that this stereotypical gay man is what most people believe a gay man to be. As I do not have any experience to speak of with the gay community, I can neither confirm nor deny this stereotype. But for some reason I just don't think that MOST gay people are actually like this. I'm not sure if this theory is valid or not, but I feel like there is possibly a very small and loud minority of gay men that are ruining it for all of the others. People don't hate them because they're gay, people hate them because they're annoying. But soon the lines blur and the hate for those annoying flamboyant INDIVIDUALS, becomes hate for all gay people at large, including the non-annoying ones.

    -Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Legendary! Raiju's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    6,993
    I think you're going to get a lot of anecdotal evidence, but I'll add mine:

    I know a straight friend who could be described as flamboyant, but I also know quite a few gay friends who are. The gay people who are flamboyant just about outnumber the ones who aren't.

    Yes, I find that personality type annoying too. I don't talk to those people that much these days.

  3. #3
    The Insane Bakis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    15,927
    Thoughts? I got one, anyone wasting their time caring about how others dress or act are generally insecure of themselves.
    Basically it is there loss.

  4. #4
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,057
    What's up with all the sexuality threads today.

    OT: I agree with you.

  5. #5
    Extreme portion of a population vs. Normal, Generalized portion of a population

    You'd be better off comparing them to all the mysogenistic rap videos which always feature women dressed in nothing and talking to them as "bitches". That's essentially just one of the many flamboyant straight types. And they're always shoving it right in my face. Can't watch a music video, can't go to a concert, heck it's in the high schools too.

  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Vellerix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cheshire, England
    Posts
    3,403
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Extreme portion of a population vs. Normal, Generalized portion of a population
    This pretty much covers it.

    What you have just desribed happens with everything, nationality, race, sexuality, everything. Unfortunately you can never get people to stop making generalizations since it seems to be something human minds do all by themselves.

  7. #7
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Extreme portion of a population vs. Normal, Generalized portion of a population

    You'd be better off comparing them to all the mysogenistic rap videos which always feature women dressed in nothing and talking to them as "bitches". That's essentially just one of the many flamboyant straight types. And they're always shoving it right in my face. Can't watch a music video, can't go to a concert, heck it's in the high schools too.
    You don't understand the term flamboyant. I get your point but flamboyant is the wrong word for what you're trying to say.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    What's up with all the sexuality threads today.

    OT: I agree with you.
    I think it is a case of sexuality threads are normally closed fairly quickly but, for whatever reason, they are fostering more discussion than they usually get, so people are opening similar threads they have had curiosity in while the 'atmosphere' is conducive.

    OT: I pretty much agree with what you have said in regards to the false equivalency between gay and flamboyant in the media, one of my pet peeves actually. Shows are getting better at portraying gay 'lifestyles' more realistically, certainly doing a better job than in the 90's.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    You don't understand the term flamboyant. I get your point but flamboyant is the wrong word for what you're trying to say.
    Flamboyant is often used for gays only, but I think it's someone who really flaunts their sexuality/emotions and who shows a lot of moving around. You can see this in the straight women and even the men (shaking their ass, doing that rap thing where they move their hands in a cross).

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You'd be better off comparing them to all the mysogenistic rap videos which always feature women dressed in nothing and talking to them as "bitches". That's essentially just one of the many flamboyant straight types. And they're always shoving it right in my face. Can't watch a music video, can't go to a concert, heck it's in the high schools too.
    I don't think you understand the definition of the word 'flamboyant'.
    In fact it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to bash rap music. Go start a thread, your post has no relevance here...

    Also, I don't see anything wrong with scantily clad women in music videos. Those women choose to be in those videos, people choose to watch those videos, and women choose to repeat those lyrics over and over. I only see a few very loud annoying women getting mad about misogynistic lyrics, and they are predominantly ugly.

    Most women are more likely to be happily listening to those songs on their MP3s.

  11. #11
    The Lightbringer Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    3,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    Flamboyant is often used for gays only, but I think it's someone who really flaunts their sexuality/emotions and who shows a lot of moving around. You can see this in the straight women and even the men (shaking their ass, doing that rap thing where they move their hands in a cross).
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flamboyant

    Flamboyant doesn't mean that somebody is showing their sexuality, it means that you are... well flamboyant.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I don't think you understand the definition of the word 'flamboyant'.
    In fact it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to bash rap music. Go start a thread, your post has no relevance here...

    Also, I don't see anything wrong with scantily clad women in music videos. Those women choose to be in those videos, people choose to watch those videos, and women choose to repeat those lyrics over and over. I only see a few very loud annoying women getting mad about misogynistic lyrics, and they are predominantly ugly.

    Most women are more likely to be happily listening to those songs on their MP3s.
    It doesn't just affect rap music. Could be rock and roll, hip hop, pop. It's all over mainstream culture in fact. They keep trying to shove their sexuality in my face but they should just keep it to themselves.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMechatronGamer View Post
    I don't think you understand the definition of the word 'flamboyant'.
    In fact it seems like you're just looking for an excuse to bash rap music. Go start a thread, your post has no relevance here...

    Also, I don't see anything wrong with scantily clad women in music videos. Those women choose to be in those videos, people choose to watch those videos, and women choose to repeat those lyrics over and over. I only see a few very loud annoying women getting mad about misogynistic lyrics, and they are predominantly ugly.

    Most women are more likely to be happily listening to those songs on their MP3s.
    Definition of flamboyant
    adjective

    1(of a person or their behaviour) tending to attract attention because of their exuberance, confidence, and stylishness: the band’s flamboyant lead singer
    bright, colourful, and very noticeable: a flamboyant bow tie


    Their use of the word seems appropriate, and you seem a little tense, chill out...

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    It doesn't just affect rap music. Could be rock and roll, hip hop, pop. It's all over mainstream culture in fact. They keep trying to shove their sexuality in my face but they should just keep it to themselves.
    I have no problem with people displaying their sexuality. I think the whole taboo around sex and sexuality has caused STIs and unwanted pregnancies to skyrocket. In a modern society sexuality is healthy and I see no reason to censor it. It's just sex.

  15. #15
    The Unstoppable Force RICH816's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Portsmouth, UK
    Posts
    22,397
    Most gay men act straight and HATE the stereotypical camp gays. I bet every single person in on this forum knows a gay man that they don't know about because they act straight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post
    I do sympathize with these so called terrorist organisations. As far as I'm concerned, at least they are fighting for something they believe in, and for what they see to be the greater good. They're not fighting to line the pockets of statesmen, governors and oil barons. I wish we could the same about the people on this side of the planet.
    Hobbes talking about Al Qaeda and ISIS.

  16. #16
    Shoving their sexuality down your throat ?
    May be you are upset about gays because you chugg dong all day and can't let it out

  17. #17
    Fluffy Kitten Baiyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    York, Blighty
    Posts
    5,129
    To quote Myrrar closing a thread from earlier today based on the subject of sexuality:

    Quote Originally Posted by Myrrar View Post
    Sexuality threads don't go very long before everyone's flaming everyone else, which is why they aren't allowed. Closing.
    Closing this one too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •