View Poll Results: Would you go to a gaming lounge?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 15.38%
  • No

    33 63.46%
  • Maybe

    11 21.15%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,171
    I had to look up the prices of console games in the USA, but it seems to me that for 6 hours playing in that place, you can buy your own copy of the game and play it as long as you like. Without having to pay that $5 monthly charge to play it online either.

  2. #22
    Legendary! Blueobelisk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    6,385
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I had to look up the prices of console games in the USA, but it seems to me that for 6 hours playing in that place, you can buy your own copy of the game and play it as long as you like. Without having to pay that $5 monthly charge to play it online either.
    To put it in perspective, a PS3 costs $250-$300, and the new games all cost $60. Old games cost $20.

  3. #23
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    728
    too expensive with those prices its a ripoff. And besides with the internet speeds now a days, they are just to late with it.
    Do not worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older it will avoid you.
    Joey Adams

  4. #24
    Brewmaster Phookah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Zebes, SR-21
    Posts
    1,433
    I actually had the equivalent of one of these in the town I lived in... It didn't last long.
    While they are really neat (super comfortable chairs/couches/beanbags, usually a juice/coffee style bar) they just are too expensive for anyone who is an active gamer (i.e playing something for an hour-2 a day). Personally I thought it was cool for the tournaments offered, but the everyday business model just isn't the greatest.
    "If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light"
    they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."

  5. #25
    Personally, it's not for me. But around 2003/2004 I knew a guy who owned a gaming store (MTG etc) and he had about 8 TVs set up with Xboxes and kids would play Halo there all day every day all week. He probably made a killing.

    This was all swell and dandy until one of the local Gamestops told a Bungie and Xbox rep that the guy was doing this (apparently you need a license to do this). Needless to say, they were not happy.

  6. #26
    If they're able to get the customers then yea, it'll be a very sustainable business. Why? Because these prices are absurd and they'll make tons of money with low upkeep costs.

  7. #27
    That's far too expensive. $10 for a day's pass, and make up some profit by hiking up food/drink prices on site.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  8. #28
    The Patient Arainie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    254
    It sounds extremely expensive in my opinion. In Sweden our gaming lounges / internet (gaming) cafés charge around $3-4 an hour, and have offers such as $10 for 5 hours gaming. The good ones are generally equiped with both console and modern pc gaming stations with hundreds of games.

  9. #29
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,171
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    To put it in perspective, a PS3 costs $250-$300, and the new games all cost $60. Old games cost $20.
    Sounds to me like only an idiot would pay the prices being charged at that gaming lounge then.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 04:08 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by HungryHippo View Post
    Yes, i can see it working as its main demographics would mainly be younger kids either without money or coming home ftom school etc etc. used to have a internet cafe on the way home from school in my Highschool days was always packed with students playing 1.6 lan, good times, untill the other shops pentitioned it to close down as they thought it was stealing business from them :| apart from that great idea just probs not everyones cup o tea.
    At $10 an hour, I don't think these kids have no money. They are paying more to play a console than most earn minimum wage.

  10. #30
    Seems like a very unsustainable business. That kind of thing is something you include inside a bar or some other such place and for much cheaper.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  11. #31
    Mechagnome Raidboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Outlands
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    It sounds extremely expensive in my opinion. In Sweden our gaming lounges / internet (gaming) cafés charge around $3-4 an hour, and have offers such as $10 for 5 hours gaming. The good ones are generally equiped with both console and modern pc gaming stations with hundreds of games.
    This model seems like it would be much more sustainable than just console games. How many different stations or desks did they have?

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    No, i got my own xbox, ps3 and pc. I dont like sharing those with others.

    Sums it up nicely

  13. #33
    Mechagnome Raidboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Outlands
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Seems like a very unsustainable business. That kind of thing is something you include inside a bar or some other such place and for much cheaper.
    When I orginally heard of this place opening I thought that something like this attached to bar would be awesome, but then your cutting off the under 21 crowd which might be the majority of the business.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    When I orginally heard of this place opening I thought that something like this attached to bar would be awesome, but then your cutting off the under 21 crowd which might be the majority of the business.
    That'd depend on local law, wouldn't it? It'd take more paperwork to set up and more money to operate, but I'm pretty sure you could finagle something with both a bar and the games.

    Alternatively, you could go ahead and flip the equation; make it a bar-with-games rather than a games-with-bar, and drop the underage patronage.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

  15. #35
    Herald of the Titans Humbugged's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    A state of madness
    Posts
    2,832
    Imagine playing WoW.

    Now imagine playing WoW while a young kid peers over your shoulder asking you what each and every one of your buttons do over and over again.

    Thats a gaming lounge in a nutshell.
    Proud defender of Animal Rights, vegetarian, donor + volunteer
    "It is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done" - Harriet Beecher Stowe

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidbozz View Post
    When I orginally heard of this place opening I thought that something like this attached to bar would be awesome, but then your cutting off the under 21 crowd which might be the majority of the business.

    Cafe/Bar's exist all over the place, having underage people in an establishment doesn't mean you won't be granted an alcohol licence, just means you'll probably be inspected more to ensure you're not selling to them


    *edit* Still a bad idea though

  17. #37
    Mechagnome Raidboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Outlands
    Posts
    734
    Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    Cafe/Bar's exist all over the place, having underage people in an establishment doesn't mean you won't be granted an alcohol licence, just means you'll probably be inspected more to ensure you're not selling to them


    *edit* Still a bad idea though
    Not many parents are going to drop their kid off in a bar that has games for a few hours.

  18. #38
    I'd go, I think the point of this place is to test out the games you might want to buy, it says that on one of their pages, instead of buying a game u might not like in the end, u can test it out b4 u buy it, doesn't seem like a bad idea

  19. #39
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,171
    Quote Originally Posted by bfilch View Post
    I'd go, I think the point of this place is to test out the games you might want to buy, it says that on one of their pages, instead of buying a game u might not like in the end, u can test it out b4 u buy it, doesn't seem like a bad idea
    Thats why I torrent, if the game is good I buy it, if it is shit then I keep my money. Not that I am suggesting others torrent of course.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Telila View Post
    Cafe/Bar's exist all over the place, having underage people in an establishment doesn't mean you won't be granted an alcohol licence, just means you'll probably be inspected more to ensure you're not selling to them


    *edit* Still a bad idea though
    Well if someone underage gets a drink and gets caught drunk the local government will make your life hell even if you didn't sell it to them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •