Page 23 of 56 FirstFirst ...
13
21
22
23
24
25
33
... LastLast
  1. #441
    I like whoever I want, just as I dislike whom I want to.
    If people don't like what I don't like, why would I care? However I will not dislike you for disliking what I don't like.

  2. #442
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSerialSniper View Post
    What you just described is not racism, but prejudice. Being racist is terrible and alot of people do not realize the difference between the two, it is a HUGE difference.

    Prejudice is unavoidable from what I have seen as most races are good at sticking towards their stereotypes thus legitimizing prejudice towards them. Prejudice does not have to be negative or positive. It is just prejudging people based on their race which I am sure most people do.
    Everyone does it. I feel our minds are actively taking what we have learned (a function of intelligence) and trying to apply it to people we meet. Having prejudice does not make you a bad person - it's the sum of what you know and it's your brain trying to apply it. It all comes down to how you treat people, mainly, kindness and respect.

  3. #443
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    We are sophisticated racists.
    I think part of what makes something racist is if its devoid of rational merit.

    "Black people are inferior" vs "Black people have a higher occurance of sickle cell"

    I think if you're applying that to cultural analysis and staying out of judging cultures based on personal preference you're fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  4. #444
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    I'm not saying it's genetically programmed into them (I surely hope no-one thinks that? lol) but to say blacks doesn't commit more murders than white people is ignoring facts. To say whites don't commit more pedophiliac (yea I made it up) acts is once again, ignoring the facts.

    I hope you don't think I was implying if you are black you will inherently commit a murder compared to a white person. I'm simply saying statistically speaking black people commit more murders than white people, etc.

    Slightly off-topic. I think its quite honestly hilarious how a black person can call another black "nigga" but if a white person did it, it's a whole different story.

    I also think it's hilarious how a black person will call another black person "brotha" or "cuz". I guess it's just cultures, but still.

    Man, when I read text of how I feel about these things I really am racist I guess... :-/
    You know that what you are saying is a statically impossible right? There are more white people than blacks and white people do murder people so therefore white people commit the most murders. In fact a white person has a higher chance of being murdered by another white person than they do a black person.

    And what is with the obsession that some non-blacks have with being able to call black people "nigga". The word is not positive and just because some black use it in a positive way does not mean that all black people see it as a positive word.

  5. #445
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think part of what makes something racist is if its devoid of rational merit.

    "Black people are inferior" vs "Black people have a higher occurance of sickle cell"

    I think if you're applying that to cultural analysis and staying out of judging cultures based on personal preference you're fine.
    I disagree; scientific racism. Technically speaking, you can rationalise almost anything.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  6. #446
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    We are sophisticated racists.
    http://youtu.be/kg6CTFwOalc?t=29s

    Move on up to class warfare!

  7. #447
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I disagree; scientific racism. Technically speaking, you can rationalise almost anything.
    I don't see how you've actually addressed what I said. Just because you can call something rational doesn't mean it is so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  8. #448
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I disagree; scientific racism. Technically speaking, you can rationalise almost anything.
    One of the few times I agree with Wells. If a certain race happens to have more of A than B, then it's just a fact. Saying Mexicans are more likely to be born with dark-colored hair isn't racist.

  9. #449
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    The Emerald City
    Posts
    18,385
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I don't see how you've actually addressed what I said. Just because you can call something rational doesn't mean it is so.
    I meant in that it is possible to be both 'rational' and racist'. The delineating factor as to whether it is racist is whether or not one believes in inherent inferiority by virtue of the race.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  10. #450
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    You know that what you are saying is a statically impossible right? There are more white people than blacks and white people do murder people so therefore white people commit the most murders. In fact a white person has a higher chance of being murdered by another white person than they do a black person.

    And what is with the obsession that some non-blacks have with being able to call black people "nigga". The word is not positive and just because some black use it in a positive way does not mean that all black people see it as a positive word.
    1.) Just because you have (yea example numbers) 100 white people and 50 black people... are you really dumb enough to think you can't only have 1 white person murder someone, but 2 black people making black people statistically commit more murder than white people?

    2.) It's not an obsession, it's the fact that black people (as a whole) are apt to use the work brotha, nigga, etc to each other.

  11. #451
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    One of the few times I agree with Wells. If a certain race happens to have more of A than B, then it's just a fact. Saying Mexicans are more likely to be born with dark-colored hair isn't racist.
    A lot of people will mix up recognizing statistical fact with racism, which I think hinges largely on how that data is extrapolated.

    Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those right wing people who place the reverse racism card any time someone calls them on their shit.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 01:45 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I meant in that it is possible to be both 'rational' and racist'. The delineating factor as to whether it is racist is whether or not one believes in inherent inferiority by virtue of the race.
    But if we're talking about culture we have to acknowledge that we're talking about a system and that not all systems will perform the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  12. #452
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    One of the few times I agree with Wells. If a certain race happens to have more of A than B, then it's just a fact. Saying Mexicans are more likely to be born with dark-colored hair isn't racist.
    That is not racist but saying that Mexicans are more likely to be violent and steal is. What people are doing is looking at only one factor, race, and making a judgement based on that. In most cases it is just simply that poor people are more likely to be violent and steal, it has nothing to do with race.

    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    1.) Just because you have (yea example numbers) 100 white people and 50 black people... are you really dumb enough to think you can't only have 1 white person murder someone, but 2 black people making black people statistically commit more murder than white people?

    2.) It's not an obsession, it's the fact that black people (as a whole) are apt to use the work brotha, nigga, etc to each other.
    No, but you seem dumb enough to believe that out of 100 white people only one will commit murder. But if we go by statics white people are more likely to commit mass murder so while the two black people may just kill a person each the one white person may kill 10.

    And what is the problem with that? Is it a problem because you cannot call a black person that? The big difference is when a black person calls another black person that both of them are "niggas" when a white person calls a black person that only one person is a "nigga". I bet you would like a black person calling you "white boy" or "white bread" as a greeting.
    Last edited by Ebildays; 2013-01-28 at 01:53 AM.

  13. #453
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    A lot of people will mix up recognizing statistical fact with racism, which I think hinges largely on how that data is extrapolated.

    Don't get me wrong though, I'm not one of those right wing people who place the reverse racism card any time someone calls them on their shit.
    I don't believe in the race card as I don't give a shit what color a person is. If you want to do business, great.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    That is not racist but saying that Mexicans are more likely to be violent and steal is. What people are doing is looking at only one factor, race, and making a judgement based on that. In most cases it is just simply that poor people are more likely to be violent and steal, it has nothing to do with race.
    What about a combo that would say poor hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white?

  14. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    To paraphrase; "Don't be racistist, guys! You can't judge all racists based on the behaviour of other racists! Not all racists act that way -- we're individuals, you racistists!".

    NO. It's already bad enough that you just "accept" it rather than think about why it's bad and try changing your ways, but now you're complaining about being a poor victim racist, oppressed by those evil intolerant tolerant people? I don't care if you're a seventh level racist or have a bachelors in racism or whatever other "degree" you think you are; if you're a racist, you're an idiot and should be ashamed of yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukari View Post
    Equality is a universal concept, you either care about it for everyone, or you don't care about it. It can't be compartmentalized, you can't champion equality for solely one group, that's inimical to the whole idea of equality.
    To make room for the cupcake!

  15. #455
    Quote Originally Posted by vastx View Post
    I wonder what the number of casualties would of been had we invaded Japan. Mass civilian suicides (better than the evil U.S. Marines to get a hold of you), wave after wave of banzai attacks. Starvation, disease.
    Just wonder what history teachers would tell you about the two nukes if Japan had won the war...




  16. #456
    I think a lot of people confuse racists with assholes. Some people are just assholes, and they come in all colors, shapes and sizes.(and they are plentiful) I remember a discussion back when I was in the Army, my roommate(who was of a different race than I) was saying so and so treated him badly and must be a racist and I was telling him that he was an asshole to everyone so I didn't think race was playing a part in it. Some people are just assholes and they will use whatever word(yes even the "N" word) or action that will piss you off the most.

    Also @ the comment above concerning the "white bread" comment, it would make me chuckle. My friends and I would joke around all the time and swear and call each other names, white bread and cracker are not really offensive and always made me laugh more than anything, but when coming back with something the "N" word was off the table because chances are you are really going to offend someone. Not to mention the more err... creative names we called each other were more amusing anyway.

  17. #457
    There is racism and there is racism

    One if the ignorant, hating kind which is bad no matter how you look at it.

    The other is the political correctness thing and ignoring the elephant in the room. If statistics say this or that race on average commits more crimes or is smarter or makes better athletes then it's a fact and needs to be said and accepted. It doesn't mean that all the members of the race have that trait, it's just that they are more likely to have it than others.

  18. #458
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    What about a combo that would say poor hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white?
    Ah, then I would look at the stats on that. Because it may be true that poor Hispanics commit certain crimes more than poor whites, while poor whites may commit certain crimes more than poor Hispanics.

    But I would not make a blanket statement saying that poor Hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white.
    Last edited by Ebildays; 2013-01-28 at 02:33 AM.

  19. #459
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    QUOTE=Rocko9;20007076]Ah, then I would look at the stats on that. Because it may be true that poor Hispanics commit certain crimes more than poor whites, while poor whites may commit certain crimes more than poor Hispanics.

    But I would not make a blanket statement saying that poor Hispanics are more likely to commit a crime than a poor white.
    Was using as an example, don't know if it is actually true

  20. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Also @ the comment above concerning the "white bread" comment, it would make me chuckle. My friends and I would joke around all the time and swear and call each other names, white bread and cracker are not really offensive and always made me laugh more than anything, but when coming back with something the "N" word was off the table because chances are you are really going to offend someone. Not to mention the more err... creative names we called each other were more amusing anyway.
    Because the N word is from a time of slavery. It's not a random funny word, it's a word used to describe slaves. To make sure they are not real humans in the eyes of society. More like a farm animal with no human rights. That's why that word is very hurtful even today. I could care less if someone called me "white" "cracker" or something like that. It has no history, no meaning. But I get offended if someone calls me a Nazi just because I was born in Germany. My father was 8 years old at the end of the war and still the "Germans=Nazi" comes up every time. As much as I hate to be labeled as someone who did mass murder I can understand how hurtful it must be for afro americans to be called "subhuman slave" with the n-word.

    I hope you understand my point. If not, maybe if someone would call you an American Native Murderer because you are white and live in the US. You would defend yourself and try to explain that this was not done by you, your parents or even your grandparents and you would get upset if people would continue to call you a murderer. I hope I could explain the point in my crappy english




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •