Page 19 of 56 FirstFirst ...
9
17
18
19
20
21
29
... LastLast
  1. #361
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but if you're going to cite facts, make sure your facts are right because in this case, you are quite incorrect.


    "Firearm homicide is the leading cause of death for African Americans ages 1-44.1

    African Americans make up nearly 13% of the U.S. population, but in 2009 suffered almost 24% of all firearm deaths – and over 54% of all firearm homicides."

    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED), at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_lcd.html (last visited Mar. 8, 2012) (hereinafter WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009; Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]
    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (Sept. 2011), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]

    In addition, so far this thread has been surprisingly reasonable, and therefore, I see why it isn't locked. No one is spewing hate, even the biased members are being calm and reasonable in their discussion.

    I'm impressed MMO-C community, I'm impressed.
    While this is true if you look at the context of the deaths most of them are black on black crimes. For the most part crime is intraracial so people should be wary more of people from their own race than that of others. Are you wary of all black people or are you wary of gang members? Because I am going to be honest the black lady in the starbucks waiting on her latte is not thinking about robbing you or raping you for that matter.

  2. #362
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    Where do you draw the line then? How many people of a particular race does it take committing violence for you to label that entire race? Because there's been plenty of violence by every race. And plenty of drug use by every race. So if one race does it more than the other races it's worth the stereotype? Be real man.
    Perfect example of why "community" forums are poisonous to the health of a development team. These developers are wasting hundreds of hours trying to stem the tide of incessant bitchery that would never, ever abate so long as these entitled, unfortunate human beings don't get their way.

  3. #363
    Pit Lord Bryntrollian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Outside Black Gate of Mordor...
    Posts
    2,478
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    If that is true aren't you being a racist with your own comment?
    No, he is being factually correct.
    Synek - best rogue in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    I don't think I know what the acronym "tsg" is. It's not RBG's or Arena, random battlegrounds, or any form of dungeon or raid that I can think of. What does it mean?

  4. #364
    I am Murloc! The Glitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Litwak's Arcade Sunny Scotland!
    Posts
    5,907
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    ...So you want to be treated like an individual, but you treat those that are of a differnt race as a mass rather than individuals... Did you realise you just did that? Are you that blind? Or are you just trying to start up arguments.

    Seriously think about what you just wrote, because you want to be treated like an individual for not treating others as individuals...../confused.
    Last edited by The Glitch; 2013-01-27 at 09:44 PM.

  5. #365
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    Where do you draw the line then? How many people of a particular race does it take committing violence for you to label that entire race? Because there's been plenty of violence by every race. And plenty of drug use by every race. So if one race does it more than the other races it's worth the stereotype? Be real man.
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.

  6. #366
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.
    Which race would it be that's the only one that does terrorism? Were this guy and this guy not terrorists? What about this?

  7. #367
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Even if its a 100% you would still be racist for saying something bad, take terrorism for example, only done by a certain group but if you say that your a bad person. Being right has nothing to do with racism.
    No, terrorism can be done by anyone lets not forget Timothy McVeigh or Ted Kaczynski.

  8. #368
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Which race would it be that's the only one that does terrorism? Were this guy and this guy not terrorists? What about this?
    The only one from the past 10 years is the sniper.

    "Muhammad joined the Nation of Islam in 1987 and later changed his surname to Muhammad."

    Links from the 90's when we have terrorism on a weekly basis?

  9. #369
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The only one from the past 10 years is the sniper.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Wi...emple_shooting

  10. #370
    High Overlord Etherius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    103
    Prejudging happens. Muttering under your breath happens. Under pressure, it happens even more. We, as a society, have become more social and open about the simplest of matters and opinions to complete strangers than in the history of ever, and we're open about it - however, I'd like to make it fairly clear that there are those who say or write the first thing that comes to mind, and those who also like to be constructive about what they say. Myself, I re-read what I put so that i) I understand it, ii) it's the point I want to make across and iii) it doesn't come off cynical or misunderstood. Unfortunately, it still happens, but we all interpret each sentence in our own way.

    So OT - Racism? Yeah, anything as such or stereotypes, sexism, all that stuff isn't necessarily good.. but that doesn't mean as a whole you're a bad person. Perhaps you're misunderstood, or misguided from what you've seen or witnessed. Every race, gender, age, etc has its bad eggs.. and yes, some more than others.. and if things like the media are in some form racist, sexist, etc. it tends to spread out. Some are easily manipulated, some just don't understand or know any better. We're being thrown words at us from all sides these days and opinions on the internet have spread like wildfires in recent years. I remember a time when the internet was a matter of sharing the simple things and not asking for ideas and thoughts from random strangers. I try not to spread myself too thin under these circumstances - I have my own hide to take care of and a loved one. You don't have to be nice to all of society - but you don't have to hate or lash out either. You can just... be.

    Understand - some can take serious amounts of social pressure. Some can't. Above all else, the world these days is making some serious changes to what's acceptable and what's not. Does that make people dumb? Possibly.. but it's no more stupid than not knowing the earth has more than one moon. Just get informed, being dumb isn't a terrible thing.. being stubborn and thinking you're right, however, is.

  11. #371
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    No actually it is not such a big deal. If you stop and think about it everything exists for a reason, so racism must exist for some underlining potentially good reason. I have no idea what that reason is, but I am sure there is one somewhere hidden deep within the question.

  12. #372
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The only one from the past 10 years is the sniper.

    "Muhammad joined the Nation of Islam in 1987 and later changed his surname to Muhammad."

    Links from the 90's when we have terrorism on a weekly basis?
    It is perspective because there are people in the middle east that thinks what America is doing is a terrorist act. And the fact that America helped to train the very people we are fighting right now. If we look back through history at what races has committed the worst criminal acts what race would we find?

  13. #373
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    If we look back through history at what races has committed the worst criminal acts what race would we find?
    I'd go with Japanese, but you could make a case for a lot of different groups.

  14. #374
    Quote Originally Posted by Omnoms View Post
    "Races more prone to violence and drugs" listen to you. It couldnt possibly have anything to do with the society they live in or are forced into.
    You know that for some races , they had that option and chose to keep things as they were , yes , there might be exceptions , but when 80%+ of the population from that race behaves the same then I guess it isn't really racism . If you still want to go down this line I will send you a lot of examples .

  15. #375
    You get called racist for everything these days.
    'T Vlaamse heir staat immer pal, Daar 't winnen of daar 't sterven zal. Alhier, Aldaar aan lange lansen de leeuwen dansen, de leeuwen dansen.... En de leeuwen dansen, de leeuwen dansen.

  16. #376
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd go with Japanese, but you could make a case for a lot of different groups.
    Modern history? Probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Everyone is pro-US. They just don't know it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyre View Post
    Internet lives in the sky, don't need no cables for that.
    A nice list of logical fallacies. In picture form!

  17. #377
    People are all racist in one way or a another. Generalization and talking down of others who dont agree with your opinion or agenda is labeled as ignorant among other things. Saying racism is judging people also, so the same right that you use to call people stupid is the same right he has to be racist.

  18. #378
    Quote Originally Posted by wvx View Post
    You know that for some races , they had that option and chose to keep things as they were , yes , there might be exceptions , but when 80%+ of the population from that race behaves the same then I guess it isn't really racism . If you still want to go down this line I will send you a lot of examples .
    Oh, I'm sure that would be quite edifying...

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Modern history? Probably.
    Yeah, as soon as we get deeper into history, it becomes unfathomable to even pick a single group. Human history has an endless number of contrivances to do nothing other than hurt people terribly, and they're sure as hell not geographically isolated.

    I was thinking 20th century. Germany, China, the USSR, and Cambodia all have pretty good claims though.

  19. #379
    Vs something on a daily/weekly basis. Are you really saying there are an equal number of terrorist attacks from both sides? Since the IRA went under, its been one sided.

  20. #380
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaide View Post
    Not that I completely disagree with you, but if you're going to cite facts, make sure your facts are right because in this case, you are quite incorrect.


    "Firearm homicide is the leading cause of death for African Americans ages 1-44.1

    African Americans make up nearly 13% of the U.S. population, but in 2009 suffered almost 24% of all firearm deaths – and over 54% of all firearm homicides."

    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED), at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_lcd.html (last visited Mar. 8, 2012) (hereinafter WISQARS Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2009; Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]
    Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009, for National, Regional, and States (Sept. 2011), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/...ction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2009. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]

    In addition, so far this thread has been surprisingly reasonable, and therefore, I see why it isn't locked. No one is spewing hate, even the biased members are being calm and reasonable in their discussion.

    I'm impressed MMO-C community, I'm impressed.
    this is a prime example of the kind of statistics I was talking about, they are taken out of context and used to justify the view that Races are relevant Factors when predicting human behavior.

    when facts like this are used alone without the large quantity of other statistics available in the research they become useless and actually help promote ignorance and prejudice rather than understanding and knowledge.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •