Page 38 of 56 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Neither was slave trading in Europe common to everyone. The most active were England and holland (if I remember correctly). As you can see, we could make that kind of differentiation as well. It's just useless to the debate though. Slave trade was present before in north, west, south, east and central Africa before Europeans came in. Doesn't justify what we did mind you. It's an horrendous page in human history. But for the point of our debate, it was present before we came to their shores.

What's racism at the end of the day. Fear of the different, the stranger. I think racism (as in supremacy of a race over another) can be considered just a twist of "fear of the stranger", fear of the one from across the lake.
    Although not STRICTLY black-white racism, black to black racism still shares the same roots and starts from the very same sentiment. Fear of the stranger.
    Never said that slave trading in Europe was common to everyone. Quote me where I did.

No, the point of the debate is to present all slavery as being equal because others engaged in "something as vague and as wide reaching called slavery". Despite the fact that they weren't the same thing. It's just a desperate attempt to take some of the heat off of Europeans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post

Being afraid of something strange isn't real racism. It becomes racism when you project negative/positive on a group of people or discriminate against them.
    Which I am pretty sure is what happens to warring tribes of the very same color only miles away between each other.
    Also concerning black to black racism. We dot need to go back hundred of years. Just look at South Africa and the way their neighbours are treated. Isn't that racism?

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 02:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Booshman View Post
    Never said that slave trading in Europe was common to everyone. Quote me where I did.

No, the point of the debate is to present all slavery as being equal because others engaged in "something as vague and as wide reaching called slavery". Despite the fact that they weren't the same thing. It's just a desperate attempt to take some of the heat off of Europeans.
    No one is taking heat off "Europeans".
    Capturing able bodied people off warring villages and selling them to others in change of things is a vague definition of slave trading?
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-01-29 at 02:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bigotry in all forms is a big deal, so yes racism is a big deal, anybody proud of their race or country, generally things they had nothing to do with, or identify others by their accomplishments being their own because they share some irrelevant similarities is beyond stupid, and destructive, if there is anything group that is the most distructive, it is for sure the ones based on this.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    So you would like to take the freedom of expression from people you disagree with? Because they hurt someone's feelings?
    I hope you understand that im not talking about the whole thing. People can say whatever they want but at the same time im against bullying.

Deleted
    There's a little thing called 'correlation'

The reason X or Y races are seen as more likely to be violent or whatever is because their home countries are usually quite poor, then they come to richer countries where idiots treat them badly so they're -still- in poverty.

Okay sure we're all a -little- bit racist deep DEEP down, but that's a natural instinct when dealing with strangers or the unusual (to us). As said in my psychology studies. But that's no excuse to act like a massive prick to other races just because they don't look like you.

Which I am pretty sure is what happens to warring tribes of the very same color only miles away between each other.
    Also concerning black to black racism. We dot need to go back hundred of years. Just look at South Africa and the way their neighbours are treated. Isn't that racism?

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 02:10 PM ----------

No one is taking heat off "Europeans".
    Capturing able bodied people off warring villages and selling them to others in change of things is a vague definition of slave trading?
    Most wasn't slave "trading". It was just enslaving "period", to bolster their own societies. And what was actually done TO the slaves was far different and less harsh than chattel slavery. Socieities like the Akan, Yoruba, and Benin put harsh penalties on anyone who injured slaves and (especially in the case of the last one) allowed them to become prominent members of the society after their work debt was paid off. To the point that they would become (I guess you can call it or simplicities sake) a "duke" where they would be given property and would own land. In addition to being granted a respectable title and responsibilities, pending their role.
    Last edited by Booshman; 2013-01-29 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kanalje View Post
    Here comes the science:
    There are 5 races of humans (can't remember their names).
    It is a scientific fact that 1 race has a higher IQ than another (generalizing ofc)
    Smartest people are Asians.
    Dumbest people are Africans.
    IIRC, there are three distinct major groups; Negroid, Caucasoid and Mongoloid. I'm inclined to say there are also minor groups, including aboriginal Australians and Americans, but I wouldn't be able to offer a full list off hand.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Our brains are pattern recognition devices, and the purpose of that was to protect us against threats (rather be safe than sorry). But it's a very old part of the brain, and it's becoming less redundant and in the way of intellectual processes.

Some people don't posses the intellect to recognize this and this is where ignorance comes from.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I've done the forums things before on other sites and usually somewhere along the lines somebody will try to label me a racist. Over the years I've grown to accept it (dont really think I am though). I've never hurt somebody over race, hell I still hold a door open for somebody other than my race, I treat them absolutely the same irl but I am a lot more wary of some races compared to others. I guess what it stems down to is being a realist that acknowledges some races are prone to violence, drugs, and general mayhem. Don't really know what I'm trying to get out of this but I'm tired of others thinking racist people are bad. There is many degrees of racism, please don't lump all of us together and dismiss an individual so easily because he/she doesn't think like you.
    I can't fucking believe the mods of this site let this bullshit go for so long.

And yet I'm getting constant (out of context) temp bans for my views on guns & other American stupidities...

PS: Infracte me all you want. it do not change the matter at hand.

Deleted
    Racism only leads trouble so yes.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    IIRC, there are three distinct major groups; Negroid, Caucasoid and Mongoloid. I'm inclined to say there are also minor groups, including aboriginal Australians and Americans, but I wouldn't be able to offer a full list off hand.
    Those terms have been considered outdated and irrelevant for over a few decades now. As is that entire study on race and IQ; as nothing has been proven in a remotely air-tight manner that could properly demonstrate a hardwired range between the "races". The only thing out there are shotty studies that use inconsistent and questionable methods, by people who aren't even experts in the field.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 09:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    I can't fucking believe the mods of this site let this bullshit go for so long.

And yet I'm getting constant (out of context) temp bans for my views on guns & other American stupidities...

PS: Infracte me all you want. it do not change the matter at hand.
    The Mods of the OT only ban overtly offensive posts, like calls for genocide.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kanalje View Post
    "All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than other."

Here comes the science:
    There are 5 races of humans (can't remember their names).
    Wrong. There are many, many more. All human populations on earth are interbred, though, so the existence of all those races is negligible.
    It is a scientific fact that 1 race has a higher IQ than another (generalizing ofc)
    Smartest people are Asians.
    Dumbest people are Africans.
    False. It has to do with how we rear our children. Raise a child in poor conditions, and the brain will become physically underdeveloped. Raise a child with lots and lots of information input, and the child will become very developed indeed. When we look at the Asian 'boy geniuses,' you have to understand a few things: A: They're the exception, and B: They were severely pushed by their parents (a Western cultural no-no). Also note that it's rarely if ever a 'girl genius.' From those statistics, you could conclude that boys are smarter than girls... Which is bollocks again.

It is furthermore proven that people unable the solve a given problem is more prown to violence than somebody able to solve said problem. Therefore dumber people must be more violent by nature than smarter people.

Asians must then be the least violent people on earth, and africans the most violent.
    Chinese are the most subdued people. They're also the largest group of Asians. Indians come second. By the way, racially speaking, Indians are Germanic; they belong to the Indo-Germanic race-group, just like most Germans and Scandinavians.
    Now alot of you thinks this is racist...
    You're right.
    It is...
    But also facts of science.
    But it is racist, and it's not scientific facts. It is you drawing shifty conclusions from statistical data; conclusions that weren't even tested. The data tested people by location. You assume that that means that people show behaviour based on race. Which is a huge fallacy, and not scientific at all.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-01-29 at 02:27 PM.

Deleted
    Most wasn't slave "trading". It was just enslaving "period", to bolster their own societies. And what was actually done TO the slaves was far different and less harsh than chattel slavery. Socieities like the Akan, Yoruba, and Benin put harsh penalties on anyone who injured slaves and (especially in the case of the last one) allowed them to become prominent members of the society after their work debt was paid off. To the point that they would become (I guess you can call it or simplicities sake) a "duke" where they would be given property and would own land. In addition to being granted a respectable title and responsibilities, pending their role.
    No sorry. We are talking about slave trading. Selling people. Predominant aspect of African commerce.
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2013-01-29 at 02:31 PM.

Those terms have been considered outdated and irrelevant for over a few decades now. As is that entire study on race and IQ; as nothing has been proven in a remotely air-tight manner that could properly demonstrate a hardwired range between the "races". The only thing out there are shotty studies that use inconsistent and questionable methods, by people who aren't even experts in the field.
    That's a matter that's up for debate, but I'd rather not, I'm not much of an expert on the subject either(I may have misused that phrase). The phenotypes are still there, whether you believe that brain size is related to IQ or not.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

That's a matter that's up for debate, but I'd rather not, I'm not much of an expert on the subject either(I may have misused that phrase). The phenotypes are still there, whether you believe that brain size is related to IQ or not.
    Oh, but brain size (to body mass ratio) is related to IQ.
    However, ex-utero socio-economic development is directly related to brain size, something a lot of people overlook.

No sorry. We are talking about slave trading. Selling people. Predominant aspect of African commerce.
    I know what we were talking about, but that doesn't refute what I said.

well. we can always take real life evidence. The evidence points to black people being failures at all levels, in all places of the world. I'll give examples

Black people are more likely to be in prison
    Black familiese are horribly broken
    Black neighborhoods are filled with crime
    Black cities inherit all the problems of black neighborhoods as well as having broken city budgets (look at Detroit)
    Black countries are crap. Countries that were prospering under colonialism or apartheid are breaking down to extreme forms of poverty without their white benefactors.

The fact is, is that black people prosper no-where on this earth. Racism or colonialism isn't sufficient to explain this because other countries that were also colonized and have non-white populations are prospering in their own way.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-01-29 at 09:10 PM.

"In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seta-san View Post
    well. we can always take real life evidence. The evidence points to black people being failures at all levels, in all places of the world. I'll give examples

Black people are more likely to be in prison
    Black familiese are horribly broken
    Black neighborhoods are filled with crime
    Black cities inherit all the problems of black neighborhoods as well as having broken city budgets (look at Detroit)
    Black countries are crap. Countries that were prospering under colonialism or apartheid are breaking down to extreme forms of poverty without their white benefactors.

The fact is, is that black people prosper no-where on this earth. Racism or colonialism isn't sufficient to explain this because other countries that were also colonized and have non-white populations are prospering in their own way.
    Wrong. The correct statement is 'poor people are more likely to be in prison, commit crime, have broken families'. White people in similar socioeconomic circumstances have pretty much identical incidences of violence and crime.

You're also vastly oversimplifying. Africa was the most recently colonized and deconolized of the continents, of course it's going to be worse off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

It's not really up for debate though, as those terms are considered archaic by the greater scientific community. Even with those who argue on the side that's opposite of mine. Raw brain size btw, varies more by sex than it does by geographic population or "race". Brain size and intelligence are only related when the brain size is abnormally large or small for a human’s body-mass, indicting malnurishment, mental disabilities, or physical deformity. Brain structures matter far more than encephalization quotients. The capacity for language (one of the few universal requirements for intelligence in humans that separates us from animals according to many) is rooted in brain structures, neural pathways, the connections between axons, and other important physiological requirements.