Poll: Would you like to see second names added to WoW?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I think it would be good on RP servers, but not so great on normal servers as normal ones is where all the children lived who want to see how crude or insulting a name that blizzard will let them get away with (and with hunters the same goes for their pets), I have reported at least 5 over the years.
    If you want a crude name, dont spam /2 with stupid chat...

Quote Originally Posted by GhostSkull View Post
    Yes to surnames, but no to the player being able to select it. Blizzard picks it at your birth from a random table. Just like the real world. It gives toons a family. They could even add heads of households which have quests and dispense heirlooms.
    Orc names aren't always given at birth, though some are. They are given when said orc has performed a mighty feat of strength or develops a unique characteristic.

Killrogg Deadeye (because he lost an eye)
    Kargath Bladefist (because he cut his hand off and replaced it with an axe blade)
    Orgimm Doomhammer (because he wielded the Doomhammer)

Also an orc may be referred to as Son of "Father's name here" until such time he or she earns their second name.
    Thrall, Son of Durotan
    Durotan, Son of Garad

Or they take the second name of their father.
    Draenosh Saurfang the son of Varok Saurfang
    Garrosh Hellscream the of Grommash Hellscream

This is how I generally name my Orc toons. I give them a second name based on their class or the theme of the class/spec they are.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-01-27 at 07:39 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Deleted
    I am all for surnames. However I am someone who does wonder how easy such a feat is to implement as an afterthought of many years. It is rather easy to say that other games have it so it should be easy when most, if not all, of those games launched with said feature.

I don't like SWTOR's Legacy system. Even though the surnames were added a bit after launch it forces you to settle for one surname and it doesn't allow for a system with the first and last names combination being unique. I don't want all my characters to have the same name since they aren't even related, nor are they of the same "legacy".

I don't see how anyone can be against surnames just because people may come up with silly names, as if people don't already do this. I have seen my fair share of rather stupid character names are easy to ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by reyina View Post
    Oh god, this. Their system for not allowing NPC names should be better, since people get around it SO often.
    I see no problem with people naming their character after famous NPCs. And even if it is a problem there is only so much they can pro-actively block. There is always going to be someone who gets around it with a more "creative" spelling.
    Last edited by mmoce4e7aa74d9; 2013-01-27 at 07:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like it honestly, but they should only be implemented on RP servers.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Also an orc may be referred to as Son of "Father's name here" until such time he or she earns their second name.
    Thrall, Son of Durotan
    Except that Thrall's real name is Go'el.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    I would like it honestly, but they should only be implemented on RP servers.
    Why so? Not only roleplayers care about their characters to be more fitting instead of being forced to only have a first name.

If there are players who find it difficult to come up with a last name I would like to see Guild Wars 2 implementation of names. Since this game is already years old I would like to see us being able to put a claim on all our character names before we get the option to get a bigger name which includes spaces. After you have changed your name that specific character's singular name should once again be free to be used by another player. Your whole new name will then be the unique name so more people could be called "Bob" as long as their surname is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Except that Thrall's real name is Go'el.
    That doesn't exactly change the point of my post. And he still calls himself Thrall, to remind himself of who he is.

It's really only Aggra that calls him Go'el. Pretty much any time anyone mentions his name after the quests in Nagrand in which he met his grandmother and learned his real name, they still call him Thrall, even as late as 4.3, in both the 5 mans and the raid.

Thrall, Son of Durotan
    Go'el, Son of Durotan

My point remains unchanged.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-01-27 at 08:23 PM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, would end up having a whole lot more stupid names around than we do now.
    I would love to be able to use a damn ' though, like kel'thuzad.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it just seems silly to me and I don't care to think of 11 more names for my characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.