Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    In the games I play, normal tends the ridiculously easy setting and the hardest setting is where I actually have to pay a little attention and might die a few times.. so I usually go for the hardest. In games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Skyrim, I don't even know who the easy setting is meant for.
    I played Dragon Age on easy, mostly because I got fed up with micromanaging my companions. That's one of the better things about ME2 and ME3, the default AI was halfway competent, or at least not completely stupid.

I always play the hardest difficulty a game offers first because it will purely make me better at the game and thus the genre. On certain encounters, after enough attempts to boil my blood on consecutive days, I will lower the game one difficulty. I do not like games on easy or normal because it seems too simple to me, personally, since I play games for fun and a challenge.

i dont really like single player games so im always playing on easy
    just blast to enjoy story and thats all (unless there is online leaderboard)

online/multiplayer games on the other hand
    give me the hardest stuff you can think of !

I used to play all games on at least normal. I will at least try, in most cases, to start out on harder difficulties if they're available, as I'm generally in no rush to finish games, and do feel like I'm 'getting my money's worth' if the game presents more of a challenge to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I played Dragon Age on easy, mostly because I got fed up with micromanaging my companions. That's one of the better things about ME2 and ME3, the default AI was halfway competent, or at least not completely stupid.
    "The default AI was halfway competent", there's not much to micromanage in mass effect games compared to dragon age, to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    "The default AI was halfway competent", there's not much to micromanage in mass effect games compared to dragon age, to be honest.
    Indeed. Getting Wynne to cast heals at the right time is a pain in the ass in Dragon Age. Getting Garrus to kick ass and take names though . . . he does that naturally.

But seriously, Garrus and the other ME companions have about 2-3 abilities to work with whereas DA companions have entire action bars filled before the end, especially mages like Wynne. With a lot less to work with, Mass Effect would be the simpler one, so it's hard to say which of the two AI's are actually smarter.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2013-01-28 at 05:12 AM.
    Putin khuliyo

I hate playing games on easy, and that is probably mostly a pride thing. That said, if I'm not having fun why the hell am I playing. I will generally try out easy if normal is too hard, but if it still isn't fun then I stop. The problem you sometimes see is that easy is so easy it isn't fun, and the gap between that and normal is huge. Still I've found most games are fine on normal.

Depends on the game, notably I never bothered playing carmageddon on anything but easy, it added nothing to the game with the harder difficulty imo and all I ever wanted to do was mess around. Jagged alliance unfinished business also on easy because damnit it is tough, but games as of late are usually real easy>even easier>easiest>falling down stairs so I usually crank the difficulty to max.

Just personally I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of just "seeing" stuff, there has got to be a challenge involved and fun game play. I think setting the difficulty too easy can potentially totally ruin your experience. I would rather save and reload a little more often than walk through it, just my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only play games on easy when content is barred by difficulty (I.E. singleplayer, multiplayer, unlockable, etc). Not because I want to, but I feel forced, or are literally forced.

There are some games where easy is basically a demo, medium is basically a longer demo, and hard is the full game.

There are some games where easy is skipping content.

There are some games where easy is just a level of prestige.

I consider artificial difficulty when the player has no effect on the difficulty. The third example would be a good candidate depending on the context.

But just because I say I'll play it on easy doesn't mean I'll play it on hard. I avoid prestige difficulty at all costs.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2013-01-28 at 05:40 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

There are a few games that I play on easy, but mostly I like to play on at least normal, and all the way up to the highest difficulty if there are achievements involved and I am capable of handling it.
    Games I played on easy: I Wanna Be The Boshy, FTL (for unlock purposes), Tekken X Capcom (I suck at fighters and I'm really not used to using a controller for games), most shooters.
    Games I worked my way up to or started at the hardest difficulty: Diablo 3, WoW, SC2 (single player portion, I'm only plat), Stepmania (and similar games).
    That said, most games I've played lately only have one official difficulty setting and it's all multiplayer. LoL, SC2, SWTOR (PvP), HoN to name a few.
    -

Sometimes I want to get the story, and care less about completely conquering the content. I played Persona 4 on Beginner, cuz I wanted to get the amazing story, rather than kill myself playing my first time through on Expert. No thanks!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depends. I almost always avoid the Easy setting because in the majority of games that I happen to play (console RPGs - xbox360 and PS2) easy setting is boring, plus there may be missables. Consequently, when I play on Hard setting, it's because there are bonuses to it that I want (extra items, extra story, whatever).

If all settings are equal, I tend to just stick with normal, unless I've played the game before then I'll likely go for hard. However for most of such games, I honestly don't notice much of a difference between normal/hard..the exceptions being stuff like Shin Megami Tensei, stuff like that where normal mode can already be frustrating at times.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd really like to see more clever and unconventional approach to difficulty settings in video games (too bad it's hopeless to expect it from the industry in its current state).

For example, some games today feature unlockable "impossible or "hardcore" modes. But honestly, what's the point? Why would you force the players with sufficient skill (whom the so-called hardcore difficulty modes are aimed at) to go through the whole game on an easy (i.e. anything lower than "hardcore") mode? If it's a story heavy game, the player might lose interest in doing another playthrough.

Now, listen to this, why not actually make unlockable easy modes? Like DMC did, if you died too many times, you'd be presented with the message that easy mode is now unlocked.

Or an even better idea - get rid of difficulty levels completely, and implement dynamic difficulty which scales with the player's skill. I admit I never played God Hand myself, but the concept sounds god damn amazing.

Yes, probably some games wouldn't benefit from that system, but I'm sure that the majority would.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Depends on the game. In most situations, the default difficulty (normal) is enough to finish the game with relative ease. Some games (Persona 4), I started again on Easy, because I didn't like the idea of having to grind to make my characters strong enough for certain encounters, and wanted to continue the story.
    Have you heard of the critically acclaimed MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV? With an expanded free trial which you can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for free with no restrictions on playtime?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never played a game on easy.. Always start on normal, and nowadays there's usually the possibility to change the difficulty, so if I get stuck, I just lower it... And if I have played the game through on normal, I usually start again on the highest difficulty (now for example Crysis 1 and Borderlands 2) and get my ass kicked every time and never learn.

Should try playing on easy and enjoying the story for once though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I used to loathe playing on easy for almost my entire life. Then i bought FTL and oh well... i changed my mind.
    FTL doesn't count really it has only easy and normal and normal is more like hard.

OT: I usually play games on normal/hard even in story driven games.
    Last edited by N-7; 2013-01-28 at 07:08 AM.

I always start on medium for games or genres I have no experience with or on hard if I already have.
    Depends on the game but on easy you don't really experience the game.

Depends on the game. I look at achievements before hand. If it's only one achievement not based on difficulty for completing the game; easy it is.

Deleted
    I am bad with gamepad controlled (most of the time console) games. Gave up on Halo Reach and considering right now to just play it once on easy to see the whole story. On PC I tend to play FPS in an easier setting and strategy and role-playing games in harder settings, sometimes lowering difficulty for harder fights/missions.

If the game is based on a pen&paper ruleset that I know well, like some of the older ad&d or mechwarrior games, I always chose the difficulty giving me the full rules; in racing or flight simulations full realism as well unless that requires a controller I don't own (split or quad throttle, stuff like that).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Now, listen to this, why not actually make unlockable easy modes? Like DMC did, if you died too many times, you'd be presented with the message that easy mode is now unlocked.

Or an even better idea - get rid of difficulty levels completely, and implement dynamic difficulty which scales with the player's skill. I admit I never played God Hand myself, but the concept sounds god damn amazing.
    http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20121203

You're going to die in a game -especially on a harder difficulty- when learning bosses, trying new things or simply dicking around.

The idea of a background program in a game silently judging me and adjusting it based on what it thinks I can do is also pretty horrible sounding. If I was in the backyard playing basketball with my dad and he lowered the net for every 5 shots missed, it would be pretty detrimental to actually improving, along with demolishing any fun I was having.
    Last edited by ProphetFlume; 2013-01-28 at 09:03 AM.