Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    WoW already tried that with monks...don't you remember when they were touting monks as the only class without auto-attack? Needless to say it didn't work out and they added the auto-attacks back in. Even if ESO somehow makes that system work, I doubt WoW will pick up on it seeing as it already failed. Also I don't see that feature as exciting enough to make someone drop WoW in favor of ESO. If that's their only distinguishing feature they're doomed.
    Maybe you shouldn't write smart-aleck comments while half asleep. There's no part in there saying WoW is going to copy or emulate any of this, nor that it is somehow better than WoW.
    It is merely a description of what is currently expected to be in ES:O.

    You also didn't understand why Blizzard gave AA to monks.

  2. #262
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Lets be honest here. When Blizzard released no content for a year they only lost 25% of the player base. Those that remain ain't ever going to leave. They have no expectations in the slightest. When you are happy with nothing a new mmo will not make a dent.
    This is a very good point. Besides, people are averse to change by nature; a large chunk of WoW players won't try new games solely because they're different.

  3. #263
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    This is a very good point. Besides, people are averse to change by nature; a large chunk of WoW players won't try new games solely because they're different.
    also most of the new MMOs coming out are new IPs, and IMO an MMO is a really awful way to introduce someone to your IP
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  4. #264
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    also most of the new MMOs coming out are new IPs, and IMO an MMO is a really awful way to introduce someone to your IP
    I don't think that's really an issue. People have been jumping on the hype-wagon for a lot of new MMOs with new or little-known IPs. In fact, I'd say TOR is probably the only big MMO that's come out where people got excited over the IP. Most people get pumped over gameplay features, which make the games fundamentally different from WoW. I know a ton of people that quit Age of Conan not because of the unfinished feel of the game, but because of trivial things like having to press "I" for inventory (instead of "B" for bags) or the chat box being set up differently.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    This is a very good point. Besides, people are averse to change by nature; a large chunk of WoW players won't try new games solely because they're different.
    Now this is NOT true. I'm a huge wow fan, yet that doesn't mean I don't want to try something different. By my nature as a gamer, playing ONE game is too boring for me, I always want to have at least 2 games to play continuously, so that when I get bored with game A, I temporarily switch to B; and once I'm bored with B, then go back to A.

    Wow is my game A, and so far I tried, I honest-to-god tried to make either SWTOR or GW2 my game B. but neither had that "extra" that made them stick to me. They were fun at first, but once the novelty wore off, they didn't felt good enough to warrant my continual playing. Time will tell if TESO will be good enough for me to become my Game B.

    Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

  6. #266
    WoW adapt?

    Hmmmm... Join date of August of 2011, so I'm not sure if serious....

  7. #267
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    Now this is NOT true. I'm a huge wow fan, yet that doesn't mean I don't want to try something different. By my nature as a gamer, playing ONE game is too boring for me, I always want to have at least 2 games to play continuously, so that when I get bored with game A, I temporarily switch to B; and once I'm bored with B, then go back to A.

    Wow is my game A, and so far I tried, I honest-to-god tried to make either SWTOR or GW2 my game B. but neither had that "extra" that made them stick to me. They were fun at first, but once the novelty wore off, they didn't felt good enough to warrant my continual playing. Time will tell if TESO will be good enough for me to become my Game B.
    People are averse to change; we are creatures of habit and routine. Notice I said "a large chunk" and not "everybody" or "all WoW players." What I said is true, but it doesn't mean it applies to everybody.

  8. #268
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarahjane View Post
    I don't think that's really an issue. People have been jumping on the hype-wagon for a lot of new MMOs with new or little-known IPs. In fact, I'd say TOR is probably the only big MMO that's come out where people got excited over the IP. Most people get pumped over gameplay features, which make the games fundamentally different from WoW. I know a ton of people that quit Age of Conan not because of the unfinished feel of the game, but because of trivial things like having to press "I" for inventory (instead of "B" for bags) or the chat box being set up differently.
    And SWTOR's IP was great, until you hit max level and realized there was nothing to do
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  9. #269
    as much as i hate bethesda i really want this thing to succeed. competition is good.
    Are you nervy? Irritable, depressed, tired of life? Keep it up.

  10. #270
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    And SWTOR's IP was great, until you hit max level and realized there was nothing to do
    Sadly that's the case with most MMOs that have launched since WoW.

  11. #271
    Quote Originally Posted by SherbertLand View Post
    When has Bethesda ever made a game without a million and one bugs.
    Its ZeniMax Online Studios developing the game who own Bethesda.

    But to be on topic as said by others wow will simply change and adapt.

    Competition is a great thing to have.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2013-01-28 at 10:13 PM.

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    The problem with that is that no one really leaves WoW for the other games. Some do but it is not noticeable. Look at SWTOR and GW2. Both had 2M by rough estimates with in the first month. Yet during their launch 2M did not leave WoW. Infact I believe in the Q SWTOR came out WoW lost 800k and most of those were said to have been banned accounts in Asia.
    The majority of the net loss in Q3 2011 was in the east (presumably China), but nowhere did they say the losses were banned accounts.

    China got Cataclysm that quarter (July 12) so the loss there was probably just Cataclysm-revulsion, just like what had happened in the rest of the world in Q1.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 10:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    When Rift came out that Quarter the lost 600k the 300k. They were attributed to Asian bans mostly. Rift did not take 1M from WoW. They didn't even lose 1M in the quarter that it would have been noticed.
    Not quite sure what you were trying to say there. However, nowhere did Blizzard say the net losses in Q1 or Q2 2011 (the 600K and 300K) were in Asia, let alone that they were due to bans. That seems to be entirely fabricated. Indeed, they said subs in the west were back down to pre-Cataclysm levels. Due to the effect on revenue, many of the losses must have been in high value markets, like NA or EU.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler

    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler

  13. #273
    I don't really see what the "hook" for TESO is going to be. Rift was Rifts and mix and match specs. SWTOR was voiceovers and cutscenes. GW2 was Dynamic Events and WvW.

    Not really sure what the big selling point for TESO is going to be. It strikes me as really odd that it's so PvP focused, though. PvP doesn't really come to mind at all when I think of TES games.

  14. #274
    Immortal mistuhbull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Quel'Thalas
    Posts
    7,045
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I don't really see what the "hook" for TESO is going to be. Rift was Rifts and mix and match specs. SWTOR was voiceovers and cutscenes. GW2 was Dynamic Events and WvW.

    Not really sure what the big selling point for TESO is going to be. It strikes me as really odd that it's so PvP focused, though. PvP doesn't really come to mind at all when I think of TES games.
    same hook as SWTOR; the IP
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

    I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

  15. #275
    Brewmaster Xothic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    QLD, Australia
    Posts
    1,321
    I hope TESO crashes and burns so badly they take the servers down after a month and everyone forgets it exists before it can rape the fucking TES Lore any more then its going too. GODDAM IT BETHESDA WHY'D YOU LET ZENIMAX DO THIS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Asphyxes View Post
    Taco dinner, movie at my mancave then I'll surprise her with a TCG tabard and tell her I love her.
    Xothic - Prot Paladin - Expired at the end of 5.1, returned start of 5.4.

  16. #276
    Quote Originally Posted by Xothic View Post
    I hope TESO crashes and burns so badly they take the servers down after a month and everyone forgets it exists before it can rape the fucking TES Lore any more then its going too. GODDAM IT BETHESDA WHY'D YOU LET ZENIMAX DO THIS.
    Come now, don't over-react so much. TESO is based IN THE PAST, therefore any ridiculous changes it may or may not do to the lore, are irrelevant anyways, since they wont interfere at all with the current singleplayer canon lore.

    At first I was pissed off too, since I feared that TESO would mean we would never have an Elder Scrolls VI, but given that its being made by a different company, and its based on a different timeline, there's nothing to fear.

    Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

  17. #277
    Stood in the Fire Zenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    406
    People who play the Elder Scrolls series do so for a plethora of reasons.

    - Modding (PC only, only mentioned because the core game needs to be good enough to develop the interest for this meta game)
    - Lore
    - Exploration
    - Open-ended skill progression
    - Deep sense of freedom of choice

    Zenimax's goal is to take these traits of the Elder Scrolls and more, and enable them in an MMO atmosphere. Modding is the most likely thing to be limited, if not completely scrapped.

    If they keep the spirit of the last 3 elder scrolls with this game, then every item should be relevant. There should be lots of lore books and objects to encounter out in the world. Stories of epic heroes, daedra and aedra that should be encountered ingame aswell. Even though they are shooting to make only 3-4 zones available per faction, each zone will be the size of Pandaria, if not much larger. More importantly, the amount of towns and dungeons per zone should be much, much greater. They did say that they can not match up the single player versions of the zones to the MMO version, but if they can even get just half of it into each zone then you're looking at almost 20 days /played per zone.

    The skill system of Skyrim in an MMO setting will be hectic but I think its doable. It creates a completely different type of gaming atmosphere and community, when literally everyone can acquire all of the tools with enough dedication. Turning battles based on wit and reaction, instead of memory and repetition.

    The only thing that worries me is the translation of the awesome sense of choice into an MMO setting.

    Like others have said, this game will be a completely different beast compared to WoW. Even if this game could out-sell WoW, people would be polarized at worst, and playing both at best.

  18. #278
    I highly doubt that TES: Online will significantly impact WoW in a big way, there's really not that much going for it...those few features that do stand out (a third faction, etc) are things that Blizzard could easily incorporate into wow.

  19. #279
    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    ohh really? maybe I misheard then. To be honest I'm not 100% sure if its 3000 or 1000 years, but either way, it doesn't matter, the point is, that TESO is NOT a sequel to skyrim. It takes place before, while the single-player game continues with its own plot.

    Unlike World of Warcraft which ended for good any hopes of Warcraft 4, or SWTOR which ended for good any hopes for KOTOR 3.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 05:05 PM ----------



    WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Are you sure about that? o_O the only reason I'm even mildly interested in this game is precisely because its the first Elder Scrolls game (Since arena) that lets us explore all the countries at once (TES 2 only lets you see High Rock, 3 only lets you see morrowind, 4 only lets you see Cyrodiil, and 5 only lets you see skyrim).

    If they're only going to let you see 1/3 of the world per character, that's gonna MASSIVELY SUCK.
    For the record, I never heard anything about this 1/3 of the map thing. Unless he's defining that based on World PvP because I do believe you get flagged in the other factions homelands, though even that hasn't really been confirmed, and furthermore has never stopped me from exploring.

    Amazing Sig by Eis!

  20. #280
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    I don't really see what the "hook" for TESO is going to be. Rift was Rifts and mix and match specs. SWTOR was voiceovers and cutscenes. GW2 was Dynamic Events and WvW.

    Not really sure what the big selling point for TESO is going to be. It strikes me as really odd that it's so PvP focused, though. PvP doesn't really come to mind at all when I think of TES games.
    The "hook" is the name Elder Scrolls - and that the game is actually, in reality, a spiritual sequel to Dark Age of Camelot with the 3-faction PVP war thing going on.

    Yes - even the main devs are former devs on DaoC.

    I can't tell you how many alarm bells I detect with ES:O's production... which is really sad since it's one of the VERY few already Mac-native launch MMORPGs I'll be able to play. =/

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 03:07 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Are you sure about that? o_O the only reason I'm even mildly interested in this game is precisely because its the first Elder Scrolls game (Since arena) that lets us explore all the countries at once (TES 2 only lets you see High Rock, 3 only lets you see morrowind, 4 only lets you see Cyrodiil, and 5 only lets you see skyrim).

    If they're only going to let you see 1/3 of the world per character, that's gonna MASSIVELY SUCK.
    OK - here's the deal.

    Tamriel is broken up into 9 zones.

    3 of them are exclusive to Aldmeri Dominion players (Altmer, Bosmer, Khajit), lands are Shimmering Iles, Valenwood and Elsewhyr
    3 of them are exclusive to Ebonheart Pact players (Nords, Argonians, Dunmer) lands are Skyrim, Morrowind and Black marsh
    2 of them are exclusive to Daggerfal Covenant players (Bretons, Redguards, Orcs) lands are High Rock and Hammerfell,
    1 zone is able to be played by all the races - Cyrodill, and is the "end game zone".

    All of the faction-locked zones are going to be "leveling zones". no further details are known about them other than they will be exclusive to your faction.

    So, here's the deal. If you play an Argonian... the ONLY zones you can play in will be Black Marsh, Skyrim, Morrowind and Cyrodill.

    If you're a Khajit... the only zones you can play in will be Shimmering Isle, Valenwood, Elsewhyr and Cyrodill.

    All races can play in Cyrodill (reported to be the largest zone, the size of Skyrim in ES:V). But leveling zones are restricted to those races.

    Why did they do that? They said they believe it will create a form of bonding between players within their faction.

    So, if you want to explore ALL of Tamriel, you will HAVE to create three characters on separate factions.

    To make it shorter... every character has to level within 2-3 faction-locked zones, and then enter Cyrodill when at max level.

    ---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 03:13 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by AestostheInsane View Post
    For the record, I never heard anything about this 1/3 of the map thing. Unless he's defining that based on World PvP because I do believe you get flagged in the other factions homelands, though even that hasn't really been confirmed, and furthermore has never stopped me from exploring.
    Everything stated so-far is that races cannot enter other faction homelands - these were tweets and posts made from the developers. There is no "flagged PVP" because you cannot enter a faction-locked zone. The ONLY place PVP occurs in is Cyrodill.
    Last edited by mvallas; 2013-01-29 at 03:09 AM.
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead... and that World of Warcraft... died with him..."

    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    That's the ONLY reason you would post 9600 posts over 3 years: a mission of hate.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •