Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    It will have no effect. TESO will have its own player base, WoW will keep its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I guess you never played a melee pre4.2
    I'm guessing you never read up on ES:O.

ES:O has no "white damage" auto attacks. Your attack controls are pure Elder Scroll style gameplay... you swing your sword/fire your bow via an attack button. It's not the same as a "hotbar" button... it's an action-style game. Hotbar attacks are separate from your main attack. Your main attack is like "Legend of Zelda" style sword swings... done via real-time action, not "white-damage" auto attacks.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a totally non game-bashing way, I promise you, WoW wont even feel a hiccup. You could log in every day for a week before and after TESO's launch and never see a difference. So far, the only two games that have caused any sort of noticeable difference in the population at launch were SC2 and Diablo3 and something tells me blizzard didn't mind that too much.

Anyway, for the sake of your forward, bolded statement, I'll humor it by saying; WoW would just adapt. If it was necessary, they'd borrow a few things from the other game and keep on trucking, as usual.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Deleted
    I honestly feel like TESO is being done for money, not to make a good game. Millions of people will undoubtedly buy it, but whether they stick to it is completely different.

In my opinion, though, I prefer TES games as single-player :P

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    It's incredibly naive to think that
    It's incredibly naive to think otherwise.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 12:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post

ES:O has no "white damage" auto attacks. Your attack controls are pure Elder Scroll style gameplay... you swing your sword/fire your bow via an attack button. It's not the same as a "hotbar" button... it's an action-style game. Hotbar attacks are separate from your main attack. Your main attack is like "Legend of Zelda" style sword swings... done via real-time action, not "white-damage" auto attacks.
    The combat looks silly....it's my main beef with TES games.

WoW has too many super addictive qualities. Its seriously like being on heroin and trying pot. WoW is so powerful it can break up marriages and end careers for people. You can create all the synthetic drugs you want in the world but nothing beats heroin. The wow killer will be a new blizz game. Only because the story has to end at some point.
    Last edited by kennyisnotdead; 2013-01-28 at 05:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account

Wow that's really ama-*YYYAAAAAAWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNN*- oh my good gracious I'm sorry I was just going to say that sounds really inter-*YAWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNN*- sorry that was an aftershock there...anyways...

WoW already tried that with monks...don't you remember when they were touting monks as the only class without auto-attack? Needless to say it didn't work out and they added the auto-attacks back in. Even if ESO somehow makes that system work, I doubt WoW will pick up on it seeing as it already failed. Also I don't see that feature as exciting enough to make someone drop WoW in favor of ESO. If that's their only distinguishing feature they're doomed.

So where in this did you actually play a melee pre4.2? If you did, latency will be a non-issue for you as you already had to interrupt 1 second casts. I'm guessing you've never played TERA either? No auto-attack there either but honestly doesn't look difficult to manage with 200+ lat.

Deleted
    I don't think it will have a big impact on WoW gameplay, but i do believe it will get alot more success then Aion, Rift, GW2 etc because just like WoW, TES has a very veeery rich background with tons of lore and an already huge playerbase.. I do not think it is going to be a "WoW killer" but i do think it will be the only mmo be able to compete about subs, and therefor not killing wow but making blizzard find new and exciting ways to improve WoW

When has Bethesda ever made a game without a million and one bugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will be a fail, Alot of casuals i know who never play a MMO, is really excited about this new game, due of skyrim.
    And i won't play with people who never played a MMO or barely played a MMO before, thats the thing with the new game, alot of casuals will join in.
    And thats a reason it wont be as awesome as WoW, it will be pretty easy i asume and wont effect WoW at all, People might play the game, but they wont unsub WoW for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still cant believe they are jumping straight into a MMO without even testing the waters with at least a 2 player ES game. I would probably prefer this new MMO more if it was like Phantasy Star Online and had both single player/co-op and MMO modes to the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornlix View Post
    I think it will be a fail, Alot of casuals i know who never play a MMO, is really excited about this new game, due of skyrim.
    And i won't play with people who never played a MMO or barely played a MMO before, thats the thing with the new game, alot of casuals will join in.
    And thats a reason it wont be as awesome as WoW, it will be pretty easy i asume and wont effect WoW at all, People might play the game, but they wont unsub WoW for it.
    When wow started, most people came from warcraft 3 and had no mmo experience at all. We did just fine. In fact, it was a lot more fun when everyone had to learn stuff then now, when asking a simple question will get you flamed to hell and back by the 'experienced' mmo-ers.

This is also what people thought about you when you started playing WoW, just saying, everybody starts somewhere and it's pretty narrow to bash someone for starting an MMO with a background they feel comfortable with. Just because you played Warcraft 2 doesn't mean you could play an MMO, and where do you think Blizz got its initial player base?

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mechazod View Post
    I still cant believe they are jumping straight into a MMO without even testing the waters with at least a 2 player ES game. I would probably prefer this new MMO more if it was like Phantasy Star Online and had both single player/co-op and MMO modes to the game.
    WoW jumped into an MMO without it technically even being an RPG, it was a top down strategy game with a story... some companies are better equipped and funded to make the turn than others

Amazing Sig by Eis!

It is partly due to attitudes like this why WOW struggles to keep new players.

Lets be honest here. When Blizzard released no content for a year they only lost 25% of the player base. Those that remain ain't ever going to leave. They have no expectations in the slightest. When you are happy with nothing a new mmo will not make a dent.

What some people maybe don't realize is that it would be actually GOOD if there was a supposed wow-killer released. This would not mean bad for the game, the exact opposite. Competition always benefits the customer. The doomsday wow-killer posters actually want something that will give the incentive to Blizzard to work harder.

Deleted
    Many good games are already on the market. Next conference call will tell how strong wow is doing. So far I dont think that wow will gain a tremendous amount of subs, no matter what kind of game of epicness will be released, or not released, and no matter the updates they make.
    Also, people stay in wow because of time spent and friends in game, and as long as that remains accurate they will have no interest in other games. Add to that many new games require good computers, while everyone and their mom can play wow smoothly on any computer.
    I dont think wow will change that much, perhaps copy paste some feature that seem popular in that game... but so far it seems like the combat is pretty much what makes the game different, but many games have different combat than wow but for some reason a lot of player still prefer the wow version.

Im glad you are excited though, personally I prefer many other games that are already on the market to wow =) Overall I think that mmo population will increase to be spread out on many different games. It's healthy I believe. Some will play elder scrolls, some will play rift, some will play tera, some will play GW2, some will play firefall, some will play eve online, some will play wow, some will play... well you know. Many options out there viable enough to make the players choose what they enjoy the most, and if they get bored or whatev... there will be other options available to try out there.
    Last edited by mmocb8e9590de3; 2013-01-28 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Maybe I heard wrong, but didn't one of the devs say it takes place 1000 years before the events of Skyrim?
    ohh really? maybe I misheard then. To be honest I'm not 100% sure if its 3000 or 1000 years, but either way, it doesn't matter, the point is, that TESO is NOT a sequel to skyrim. It takes place before, while the single-player game continues with its own plot.

Unlike World of Warcraft which ended for good any hopes of Warcraft 4, or SWTOR which ended for good any hopes for KOTOR 3.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 05:05 PM ----------

Look - I'm an ES fan, but sadly ES:O is NOT going the way ES:O should've gone. Instead of going pure player sandbox it's becoming VERY restrictive. You can only explore 1/3rd the world on your main character, 2/3rds of the world are locked off from your main, the whole focus seems to be more PVP battles than anything involving raiding, rewarding, dungeon crawling or general PVE.

ES:O is sadly looking to be an even more truncated Themepark MMORPG. It's even debatable at this point if it will be an MMORPG at this point, more of a "FPS-mentality with swords and an overworld"
    WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA. Are you sure about that? o_O the only reason I'm even mildly interested in this game is precisely because its the first Elder Scrolls game (Since arena) that lets us explore all the countries at once (TES 2 only lets you see High Rock, 3 only lets you see morrowind, 4 only lets you see Cyrodiil, and 5 only lets you see skyrim).

If they're only going to let you see 1/3 of the world per character, that's gonna MASSIVELY SUCK.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    WoW already tried that with monks...don't you remember when they were touting monks as the only class without auto-attack? Needless to say it didn't work out and they added the auto-attacks back in. Even if ESO somehow makes that system work, I doubt WoW will pick up on it seeing as it already failed. Also I don't see that feature as exciting enough to make someone drop WoW in favor of ESO. If that's their only distinguishing feature they're doomed.
    Maybe you shouldn't write smart-aleck comments while half asleep. There's no part in there saying WoW is going to copy or emulate any of this, nor that it is somehow better than WoW.
    It is merely a description of what is currently expected to be in ES:O.

You also didn't understand why Blizzard gave AA to monks.