10+ Year Old Account

2013 new generation consoles wat do

its 2013. new generation of consoles soon out.
    i have a budget of like 1000 euro(4000 zloty). i want something for gaming.
    should i go:
    1) for a computer(i would also have to buy a new widescreen monitor cuz right now im using 8 years old square LCD one so thats about 200 euro)
    2) or go for current generation console, which are still expensive and especially the games, yaarrr
    3) or wait for a new generation of consoles that will probably come out this year.

what impact will the new consoles have on computers ? is there a point in buying anything now ? i mean that will be probably a huge jump from current graphic cards to the new ones that will be in pair with new consoles.

wat do ??

10+ Year Old Account
    well, you can buy a computer now, or wait for a console that may or may not even get released in time for christmas

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, they will not be out this year. Announcements haven't even been made for them, what makes you think anyone will release a new platform 6 months after an E3 announcement when most developers are still making big franchise titles for current gen platforms? Get a gaming PC and spend the money on something good.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) Computer - Can be had for cheaper, and games for cheaper, and actually useful beyond games
    2) Current gen consoles are $150-250 these days. Games run 40-60
    3) Next gen consoles, not available til next year, and will likely run 400-500, with games running 50-80

Buy a computer. The consoles destroy and slow down the whole evolution of games and there is no reason to buy one. You can play PC games on a TV aswell if that's the problem, and the hardware in consoles are 7-8 years old

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No, they will not be out this year. Announcements haven't even been made for them, what makes you think anyone will release a new platform 6 months after an E3 announcement when most developers are still making big franchise titles for current gen platforms? Get a gaming PC and spend the money on something good.
    most of the evidence actually points to them coming out this year. they always delay announcement as long as possible to keep sales up on the current consoles.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    most of the evidence actually points to them coming out this year. they always delay announcement as long as possible to keep sales up on the current consoles.
    just about every source ive seen is expecting a release this year as well. developers already have manufacturer supplied testing devices as well for both systems, but to the OP, it may be biased but i would get the PC...top notch graphics, and very practical when compared to a console.

and fyi consoles use graphic cards that most CPU gamers would not ever consider using because they are too weak. its looking like the ps4 will have an amd apu with a 76xx level GPU, and last i heard the xbox is just using an amd apu.

some people do say they will have gtx 680 level cards but i personally highly doubt this.
    Last edited by jmacphee9; 2013-01-28 at 08:22 AM.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't bother with this round of consoles.

Build yourself a PC for $800-$1000 now that'll run games at higher specs than the forthcoming Sony/Microsoft consoles, unless you're just a huge fan of their exclusive games.

Not to mention the 'consoles can't be upgraded' argument we never see enough of.

(I have a higher-end PC, but still buy my guilty pleasure Nintendo products like they're going out of style =/)

A PC is much better, run almost all games from sony, microsoft and nitendo, you can use for other stuff also and can be more cheaper.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, if you are skilled enough with computers, you could in fact make your computer be able to run console games as well (no, you do not really need to pirate stuff). I have seen multiple successful attempts where people have made console controllers as well as other accessories usable on their PC, so it could be worth checking out, if you ask me. Would be a lot cheaper than getting an expensive piece of uncostumizable hardware like consoles are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Autier View Post
    but still buy my guilty pleasure Nintendo products like they're going out of style =/
    Dat Zelda and Metroid franchises. Some things you just never grow out of.

Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    just about every source ive seen is expecting a release this year as well. developers already have manufacturer supplied testing devices as well for both systems, but to the OP, it may be biased but i would get the PC...top notch graphics, and very practical when compared to a console.

and fyi consoles use graphic cards that most CPU gamers would not ever consider using because they are too weak. its looking like the ps4 will have an amd apu with a 76xx level GPU, and last i heard the xbox is just using an amd apu.

some people do say they will have gtx 680 level cards but i personally highly doubt this.
    Latest I read a few weeks ago were that both consoles were using a Radeon 7800 series card even if slightly modified.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

10+ Year Old Account
    You might get a bit biased answeres asking in the computer forum haha. But id agree with most others and get a pc unless you really like the exclusives from consoles. A decent new computer will very likely play ps4/xbox ports on decent settings, though maybe slightly worse than consoles if they arent optimised properly. Most reports ive seen arent expecting anything like the graphics jump from ps2-ps3.
    Personally ive just bought a new pc and will probably pick up a ps4 in a few years when the price comes down and it has some decent exclusives.

The only reason to get a console is exclusive titles. A med-price computer can do everything a console can better (very likely including next gen) and do so much more that consoles can't.
    Even if you're the kind of oddball who prefers controller over mouse or plays games delibereately designed to be used with this limited control method, you can just plug in a controller to your PC. You can't plug in keyboard&mouse, the vastly superior control method 99% of the time, to a console.
    To top it off, console industry is what is holding game development back by years, soon possibly even decades. The less money they get, the more likely you'll be to see cool, even futuristic shit in your lifetime.

Get a PC.

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450