Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
4
12
13
14
15
LastLast
  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    Of course, because as humans we are generally selfish by nature.
    The only way were are selfish by nature, is our need to survive. Such as, when something bad is happening around you, your instinct is to get way from it. This however changes depending on emotional attachments, mate/child/friend etc.

    Humans are social by nature, selfishness is not social, it is anti-social.

  2. #262
    I wouldnt feel bad about, this wasnt your fault and honestly i would feel the same. People are stupid, people make misstakes and the way the world is going we are breeding a new generation of people who cant handle small setbacks. There is going to be alot more suicides due to stupid things in the future due to bad parenting.

  3. #263
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Suicide to get attention? Really? <.<
    Yes really. If you say you are going to kill yourself most of the time its just for show to get attention. Most of the people that commit suicide just do it and dont tell others about it.

  4. #264
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    The only way were are selfish by nature, is our need to survive. Such as, when something bad is happening around you, your instinct is to get way from it. This however changes depending on emotional attachments, mate/child/friend etc.
    You say that changes things. I posit that we are selfish both for ourselves and on behalf of those things we care for, such as mates/children/friends/etc.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    You say that changes things. I posit that we are selfish both for ourselves and on behalf of those things we care for, such as mates/children/friends/etc.
    Ah I get it, mates/children/friends/etc are possessions to you then, because quite clearly you're thinking of them for you to have and not for them to be around.

    Sometimes you have to open your mouth and allow the crazy to fall out, but most of the time you should think about it before hand.

  6. #266
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Ah I get it, mates/children/friends/etc are possessions to you then, because quite clearly you're thinking of them for you to have and not for them to be around.

    Sometimes you have to open your mouth and allow the crazy to fall out, but most of the time you should think about it before hand.
    Maybe you should look more into the idea before discounting it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  7. #267
    Is she hot atleast? This chick needs to learn how to turn a negative into a positive.
    http://raptr.com/puremallace/about

    What has been made by QQ can be unmade by QQ!!!

  8. #268
    I am Murloc! darenyon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Cho'gall (US)
    Posts
    5,855
    she should have got some pics of his tiny dick as insurance.

    ah, young love. no you're not emotionless but for gods sake have some empathy. maybe all she needs right now is a friend. is it really that hard to be nice to someone?

  9. #269
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    Ah I get it, mates/children/friends/etc are possessions to you then, because quite clearly you're thinking of them for you to have and not for them to be around.

    Sometimes you have to open your mouth and allow the crazy to fall out, but most of the time you should think about it before hand.
    What are you talking about? My idea is quite simple, really;

    1) Some dumb bimbo online threatens suicide because she was stupid enough to throw around nude pictures of herself

    vs

    2) My girlfriend's kid who will in Autumn be leaving nursery and attending primary education

    Guess which one i'm going to care for more. I will be selfish with my time, care and kindness and allot it only to #2 in that scenario, because I couldn't care less about #1.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

  10. #270
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    What are you talking about? My idea is quite simple, really;

    1) Some dumb bimbo online threatens suicide because she was stupid enough to throw around nude pictures of herself

    vs

    2) My girlfriend's kid who will in Autumn be leaving nursery and attending primary education

    Guess which one i'm going to care for more. I will be selfish with my time, care and kindness and allot it only to #2 in that scenario, because I couldn't care less about #1.
    Not caring about her doesn't make you selfish.

    Not attempting to help someone you will never talk to doesn't make you selfish.

    However, referring to a 12 year old girl at the time as a "dumb bimbo" does make you a richard, for lack of better term.

  11. #271
    I am Murloc! Alenarien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Antrim, Northern Ireland
    Posts
    5,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    However, referring to a 12 year old girl at the time as a "dumb bimbo" does make you a richard, for lack of better term.
    If you want to brand me as a dick, don't beat around the bush. A girl who was clearly below the age of consent giving pictures of her nude self to a man over the internet certainly doesn't make her smart or respectable, however.
    "Can your blood atone for genocide, orc? Your Horde killed countless innocents with its rampage across Stormwind and Lordaeron. Do you really think you can just sweep all that away and cast aside your guilt so easily? No, your kind will never change, and I will never stop fighting you." - Grand Admiral Proudmoore

  12. #272
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    If you want to brand me as a dick, don't beat around the bush. A girl who was clearly below the age of consent giving pictures of her nude self to a man over the internet certainly doesn't make her smart or respectable, however.
    People often make mistakes, especially in their adolescence. To hold a 12 year old to the same law and punishment as you would an adult, is often foolish. These children are still learning. Just because you may have gone through hell to become who you have, does not mean this child should suffer as well and become so jaded.

    There is a vast difference of an impressionable child, than there is an adult. This is why certain things like anti-child pornography, statutory rape, and other laws exist. Some of these laws even go into the adult area, such as a psychiatrist taking advantage of someone in their care.

    People are impressionable, and make bad decisions. However, they should not be punished or labeled because of a mistake that they had made (Which does not hurt anyone else) under possible peer pressure.

    Remember, we're dealing with an adolescent and another adolescent. Not a Woman and a Man.

    You're free to believe what you will, and nothing I can do or say will change that. However, your initial claim to Humans being selfish by nature, is in fact wrong when it comes to this situation. Humans are only selfish by nature when it comes to survival, beyond that however they grow determines who they will become, and more often than not they become selfish due to the way they have grown up.

    I'll leave it as this, as I've said, we both have our beliefs on the subject and won't change either or.

  13. #273
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    People often make mistakes, especially in their adolescence. To hold a 12 year old to the same law and punishment as you would an adult, is often foolish. These children are still learning. Just because you may have gone through hell to become who you have, does not mean this child should suffer as well and become so jaded.

    There is a vast difference of an impressionable child, than there is an adult. This is why certain things like anti-child pornography, statutory rape, and other laws exist. Some of these laws even go into the adult area, such as a psychiatrist taking advantage of someone in their care.

    People are impressionable, and make bad decisions. However, they should not be punished or labeled because of a mistake that they had made (Which does not hurt anyone else) under possible peer pressure.

    Remember, we're dealing with an adolescent and another adolescent. Not a Woman and a Man.

    You're free to believe what you will, and nothing I can do or say will change that. However, your initial claim to Humans being selfish by nature, is in fact wrong when it comes to this situation. Humans are only selfish by nature when it comes to survival, beyond that however they grow determines who they will become, and more often than not they become selfish due to the way they have grown up.

    I'll leave it as this, as I've said, we both have our beliefs on the subject and won't change either or.
    I agree, I don't think she should go to jail or anything, but.... Where are you from? In the United States, "sexting" has a huge campaign on TV and in schools about trying to warn people from this exact thing happening. In my opinion, teenagers are old enough to know at least SOME right and wrong, and they sure can understand a simple warning. Again, I don't think she should be punished, but she was likely warned, and chose of her own free will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  14. #274
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I agree, I don't think she should go to jail or anything, but.... Where are you from? In the United States, "sexting" has a huge campaign on TV and in schools about trying to warn people from this exact thing happening. In my opinion, teenagers are old enough to know at least SOME right and wrong, and they sure can understand a simple warning. Again, I don't think she should be punished, but she was likely warned, and chose of her own free will.
    I'm from Canada, we generally have the same ads (Since we mostly have US TV). The warnings are out there, but they go ignored. Doesn't mean we should label everyone who makes this mistake, especially at that age anything derogatory, otherwise you are punishing her. (I'm not meaning you as in YOU, I mean it as a generalized term.)

  15. #275
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    I'm from Canada, we generally have the same ads (Since we mostly have US TV). The warnings are out there, but they go ignored. Doesn't mean we should label everyone who makes this mistake, especially at that age anything derogatory, otherwise you are punishing her. (I'm not meaning you as in YOU, I mean it as a generalized term.)
    How much sympathy and "understanding" can you give people thought? I especially hate when my friends complain about getting pulled over for speeding. I always ask "Were you speed?" -Yes "Did you see the speed limit?" -Yes, but I was only going 10 over!..... You get warned about those sorts of things. Its just hard for me to truly feel sorry for someone that totally ignores the advice and warnings of adults and people that have had this experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  16. #276
    Warchief Waaldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Yeah, I'm sure you have good data to back that statement up.
    Yeah, because you need "good data" to show that it takes a weak person to end their own life. By weak, he doesn't mean it in the physical sense, he means mentally weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

  17. #277
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    How much sympathy and "understanding" can you give people thought? I especially hate when my friends complain about getting pulled over for speeding. I always ask "Were you speed?" -Yes "Did you see the speed limit?" -Yes, but I was only going 10 over!..... You get warned about those sorts of things. Its just hard for me to truly feel sorry for someone that totally ignores the advice and warnings of adults and people that have had this experience.
    You don't need to feel sorry for her, no one does and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when people go on to call her names is punishment that is undeserved. She is being punished just by having other's see those personal pictures.

    It would be like you doing something embarrassing and someone shaming you for it. Reminds me of Seinfeld, where Jerry Seinfeld bounces a cheque at a store, and the store owner decides to post the cheque in the public eye in order to shame him. Yes it's a TV show, but morally this isn't right. It is morally wrong to shame someone and make an embarrassing thing public.

    When someone gets mugged and your first thought is "Well d'uh, you shouldn't be out at night. You're warned about this stuff", there's something inherently wrong with you. You don't have to feel sorry for them, but rubbing things in their face is wrong, they don't need it.

    Just remember, I only say a person should get involved if they are within reach. As in, you go to school with them, it should be up to you to inform her of ways to get help, or inform someone who could help her, beyond that you tried and there is nothing wrong with saying "I tried.".

  18. #278
    I am Murloc! Lemonpartyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ironforge
    Posts
    5,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfingaz View Post
    You don't need to feel sorry for her, no one does and there is nothing wrong with that. However, when people go on to call her names is punishment that is undeserved. She is being punished just by having other's see those personal pictures.

    It would be like you doing something embarrassing and someone shaming you for it. Reminds me of Seinfeld, where Jerry Seinfeld bounces a cheque at a store, and the store owner decides to post the cheque in the public eye in order to shame him. Yes it's a TV show, but morally this isn't right. It is morally wrong to shame someone and make an embarrassing thing public.

    When someone gets mugged and your first thought is "Well d'uh, you shouldn't be out at night. You're warned about this stuff", there's something inherently wrong with you. You don't have to feel sorry for them, but rubbing things in their face is wrong, they don't need it.

    Just remember, I only say a person should get involved if they are within reach. As in, you go to school with them, it should be up to you to inform her of ways to get help, or inform someone who could help her, beyond that you tried and there is nothing wrong with saying "I tried.".
    Hahaha what a great example. yeah, like I said in my first post, I wouldn't call her names, condone it, or spread the pictures. But its also hard for me to defend her given the warning and stuff. I think the bad part about my speeding example is how speeding is blatantly a selfish dangerous thing, and sending picture to someone you trust is closer to intimate innocence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
    Stupid! New things are always much better then the old things...
    New Star wars > old Star wars (crappy special effects anyone lol!)
    Justine Beiber > the beatles (shitty copycats music lol!)
    Twilligt > dracula, do I even need to comment loooool
    yea its probably nostalgia

  19. #279
    Sorry to say this, but I don't feel sorry for her. Even though I would never take part in anything like this, it's her own fault, no matter how you look at it. If you don't want this to happen you just should not do that kind of stuff.

  20. #280
    I am Murloc! Tiili's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,404
    Quote Originally Posted by WireRabbit View Post
    Yes really. If you say you are going to kill yourself most of the time its just for show to get attention. Most of the people that commit suicide just do it and dont tell others about it.
    I don't think you quite understood it.

    Threatening to commit suicide =/= Comitting suicide.
    Close your eyes and smile.
    [15:53] <PizzaSHARK> you have such a cute accent! ^_^

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •