Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    General immature behaviour on the internet

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byfNvzfOHs

    Check the video, I think he's 100% right.

    When I played Unreal Tournament in 99/00 as my first multiplayer game there weren't many kids flaming each other, internet wasn't new back then, but it was certainly not available to all the kids like it is today.

    Nowadays the majority of internet users playing games like LoL, WoW, CoD etc. are children.. Children who now dictate the internet culture, which makes older people adapt to the culture.

    Videos, streams, forums or meme's that turn really popular, is because of kids, they are in the vast majority you see on the internet today, they bring the views, they decide what is the latest hype, they shout the loudest.

    It's kinda hard to imagine you think of people aged over 30+ go "YOLO" or "LAWL" and all that crap that people do today.

    What do you guys think? I posted this because I do know already about what Athene explained in the video, I just didn't think much about it until now after he said all that.
    Last edited by Bodylotion; 2013-01-27 at 09:32 PM.

  2. #2
    Well even back in the Counter Strike Beta 5 days me and friends used to talk trash to people.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by drwelfare View Post
    Well even back in the Counter Strike Beta 5 days me and friends used to talk trash to people.
    I was 15 back when I played UT99, I was a kid back then also, but I played with many older guys. I'm just saying there was kids in games and on the internet also back then, just far less then now, now they took everything over.
    I know my friends didn't have a pc with internet back then, and many more didn't. So it wasn't as bad back then as it is now.

  4. #4
    Banned Ms Andry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North of the law
    Posts
    1,118
    ignore people you like

    like people you like

    that's all there is to it. Who cares what anyone else does if you don't want to care

  5. #5
    I don't see the point of this thread. The internet has become more accesible to everyone, including kids. Some people think it's bad, some good. What are we gonna do about it? What is there to discuss?
    Proud European, engineer and asshole.


  6. #6
    The Lightbringer Ciddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,332
    He's exactly right.

    I get a lot of that in Starcraft 2 when I play the online matches against random people. It's "gg noob u lose" "lol another bronze leaguer gets owned, gg noob" or "UMAD BRO???" spam if you lose and "U FUCKIN CHEATED" or "[insert some unit you used during the match here] is fuckin OP, gg noob" when you win. Same thing in just about any other game. The funny thing is, they're not always 12-year-old kids. I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see married 30+ people with kids of their own who act like that. I just ignore it now.

    It's easy to be a badass 6 foot 4 Olympic powerlifting martial arts expert with a supermodel girlfriend when you're anonymous and hiding behind a keyboard.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2013-01-27 at 09:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    Sometimes you gotta stop sniffing used schoolgirl panties and start being a fucking samurai.

  7. #7
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,542
    I don't act that way...0o I don't even think i have used those types of words in my life :S

    I have a strange dislike for the guy in that video and i have no idea why...he seems rather full of himself >.<
    Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-01-27 at 09:54 PM.

  8. #8
    Using athene as a reference may not be the best idea. He is probably one of the most obnoxious immature people on youtube. Not a bad guy, just really annoying

    Flip the script and look at the young people trying to act like adults. It seems to work both ways, just like the rest of life, people wanna be something they currently arent while in the fantasy world

  9. #9
    I didn't watch the video, but I think there's something in what you say. On the one hand, a kind of "immaturity" and pugnaciousness seems like a form of rebellion, on the other it can take the form of a clique trying to envelop everyone into its fold.

  10. #10
    I concur with him, but I don't think it's a strictly internet problem. People in general act like a bunch of fucking children when there's a lack of consequences, the internet just provides the most extreme example.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,432
    What? That's nothing new, sorry mate.

    When I was 12 and playing games like CnC and such we flamed each other just like we do today and I am now 24.

    Only, today you are older and it pisses you off because you are spending precious free time on vidyas and you don't want to be bothered by idiot kids.

    In short, nothing has changed, you just now noticed.


    Also, lol Athene talking about attitude on the internet. Fucking irony everywhere in my face.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Using athene as a reference may not be the best idea. He is probably one of the most obnoxious immature people on youtube. Not a bad guy, just really annoying

    Flip the script and look at the young people trying to act like adults. It seems to work both ways, just like the rest of life, people wanna be something they currently arent while in the fantasy world
    Did you watch the video or..?

  13. #13
    I can agree on this a little, a example when I used to play CoD 4 and WaW when they were brand new just came out for the PS3 the way people played was a lot more mature and it made the games a lot more fun like back then nobody was doing 360 noscope ladderstall dropshots and I hardly ever heard kids talking with mics. Now it seems like the CoD community is more than 60% kids if not more and for me isn't as fun as it used to be (probably because WaW and CoD4 were the best cods) in my opinion but still.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodylotion View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2byfNvzfOHs

    Check the video, I think he's 100% right.

    When I played Unreal Tournament in 99/00 as my first multiplayer game there weren't many kids flaming each other, internet wasn't new back then, but it was certainly not available to all the kids like it is today.

    Nowadays the majority of internet users playing games like LoL, WoW, CoD etc. are children.. Children who now dictate the internet culture, which makes older people adapt to the culture.

    Videos, streams, forums or meme's that turn really popular, is because of kids, they are in the vast majority you see on the internet today, they bring the views, they decide what is the latest hype, they shout the loudest.

    It's kinda hard to imagine you think of people aged over 30+ go "YOLO" or "LAWL" and all that crap that people do today.

    What do you guys think? I posted this because I do know already about what Athene explained in the video, I just didn't think much about it until now after he said all that.
    Most older people don't adapt to the culture because they don't feel forced to. Either they only play with people they know or join guilds with older people in them. Children only dictate internet culture on the sites they go to but on the site that older people go to the culture is different there.

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Did you watch the video or..?
    You think because Athene talks a script into a camera he's actually an awsome guy? Well, okay... to be fair, he changed, his attitude changed and he does many good things like his charity action.

    However, he wasn't like this since ever... especially during his old WoW times, where I first came across Athene, he was a very immature and annoying player who thought of him as something so super awsome that nobody can do better than him anyway.

    Today he talks about others and their behavior.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    However, he wasn't like this since ever... especially during his old WoW times, where I first came across Athene, he was a very immature and annoying player who thought of him as something so super awsome that nobody can do better than him anyway.
    I think you missed the joke.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny212 View Post
    Did you watch the video or..?
    Ive seen his other ones and he is a hypocrite to be the one saying this. I honestly cant watch athene for more than 10-15 secs.

    Op, check out globalunreal.com, they still play competitive ut. Still the best pvp game to date

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Ive seen his other ones and he is a hypocrite to be the one saying this. I honestly cant watch athene for more than 10-15 secs.
    It's amusing that he essentially says, "hey, I get a lot of kids that don't understand I'm joking, and that it's satire, so they rage on me".

  19. #19
    Funny how ignorant some of you people are about Athene.
    Athene is his persona, his character, he uses that for his entertaining videos that he got famous for.
    I find it quite hilarious that some people think he's for real when he uses his Athene persona.
    This video is a serious video where he's just himself. How can you see not see this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ebildays View Post
    Most older people don't adapt to the culture because they don't feel forced to. Either they only play with people they know or join guilds with older people in them. Children only dictate internet culture on the sites they go to but on the site that older people go to the culture is different there.
    I don't use reddit, but as Athene said, Reddit used to be a really good site with useful information and news, lately the site has been dumbed down as it's spammed with meme's and trollish posts.

  20. #20
    Scarab Lord StayTuned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany & Croatia & Netherlands
    Posts
    4,432
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I think you missed the joke.
    Care to enlighten me? You genuinely think that Athene was joking? A smart troll to boost his fame? Giving yourself a controversial persona in order to become famous?

    And now that he's most likely one of the most famous player out there he shows his "true" self, which is nothing but a saint in front of a gaming keyboard? I call bs.

    The gaming community has always been and will always be a truly shitty community with many flamers, trolls and pros who are full of themselves. It has been like that 12 years ago, it will be like that in 12 more years.

    But we (anyone who is older than 22 basically) are the first generation that grew up with that shit. WE were the shitty community 10/12 years ago and now that we are grown up more or less, we actually see other 12 years old behaving just like we did back in the old days; and we find it awful.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •