GTX 660ti or 7950? What do you guys think?

Hey guys.

So I'm building a computer but I'm not really that big of an enthusiast. My budget is probably around 1,000$ or so maybe a bit more. Originally I was going for the 670 but it's a bit expensive for me plus seemed like overkill.

I'm mostly trying to build a computer to manage most games released this year on High (and not necessarily Ultra). I'm mostly playing Planetside 2 and Guild Wars 2 but I also play Borderlands 2/L4D2/BF3 and in the near future DmC: Devil May Cry, Bioshock: Infinite, Mass Effect 3, Mettro 2033, Farcry 3 and etc.

Which of these GPUs do you think is more bang-for-the-buck? I was a GeForce fanboi (for no particular reason I just never tried AMD and out of the grand total of 2 GPUs I've had in my life both were GeForce lol) but it seems the 7950, according to reviews and benchmarks I've read which I will link below, is more bang-for-the-buck and is worth the extra dollars it costs.

1. Can they be overclocked? Will I need an aftermarket fan if I decide to overclock them?
    2. Do AMD have reliable products?
    3. Do you suggest factory OCed or manually OCing for someone who has never OCed before?
    4. Which manufacturer do you recommend?

Thank you

EDIT: My resolution is 1920x1080 at the moment.
    EDIT: Forgot to post links lol. Just this one atm forgot the other http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...view,3279.html
    Last edited by Googles; 2013-01-28 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly I have seen more games optimized better for NVIDIA overall. Maybe it is just the games I got but it depends also on what card the game is made for more also in the end as well.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 07:48 PM ----------

As for the questions
    1. Yes
    2. I know many NVIDIA Gefoce 660s can be OCed past stock 670s
    3. AMD is very reliable
    4. Your choice in the end. You can go not overclocked if you want to do all the research yourself.
    5. I would recommend NVIDIA.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    1. I don't understand the question if you mean does the GPU's and CPU work together then yes.
    2. they both can be overclocked
    3. yes
    4. Manually you can look up videos on youtube to see the best way of doing it.
    5. XFX,Asus,Sapphire,Gigabyte,MSI, if your talking about either Nvidia or AMD I think AMD is more bang for buck IDK Nvidia is a tad more expensive for cards that are equal in performance.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-01-28 at 12:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally have bad experience with the software for the AMD GPU's, while Nvidia's software has never let me down.

To answer the rest of your questions, any CPU will go together with any GPU as long as the motherboard supports it.
    Yes they can be overclocked, with default cooling mechanisms to a certain degree.
    If you have never overclocked anything before, i would not suggest starting out with a GPU.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    I personally have bad experience with the software for the AMD GPU's, while Nvidia's software has never let me down.

To answer the rest of your questions, any CPU will go together with any GPU as long as the motherboard supports it.
    Yes they can be overclocked, with default cooling mechanisms to a certain degree.
    If you have never overclocked anything before, i would not suggest starting out with a GPU.
    I'm the opposite I have had 3 AMD's and 1 Nvidia and the Nvidia was the only one that gave me driver problems. I think now days they are both doing good in the driver department and usually fix whatever bug is going on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I'm the opposite I have had 3 AMD's and 1 Nvidia and the Nvidia was the only one that gave me driver problems. I think now days they are both doing good in the driver department and usually fix whatever bug is going on.
    I agree there. I used to use AMD only because other than a Geforce 3 I had issues with the NVIDIA cards as well. But after using a Geforce 460 and now on a 660ti I have had no issues with either.

Just to clarify I misworded my first question I meant will the 7950 fit into the i5
    And the manufacturer question I meant about the XFX, Sapphire etc. not AMD or NVIDIA

Thank you for your replies guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Googles View Post
    Just to clarify I misworded my first question I meant will the 7950 fit into the i5
    And the manufacturer question I meant about the XFX, Sapphire etc. not AMD or NVIDIA

Thank you for your replies guys.
    You aren't building it yourself, are you?

A GPU doesn't go into a CPU. It goes into the motherboard expansion slots, or PCI-E.

Oh yes indeed haha I got confused between the motherboard and CPU.

I'm a noob but not that much ^^ lol. Just forget that question

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you get a proper graphics card with an aftermarket cooler already attached, don't even think of the fan.

AKA, MSI Twin Frozr IV/Power Edition(PE), Asus DCII, Gigabyte WindForce x3, etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

What's your price range? I see a PNY 670 on NCIX . com on sale for $319.99 before the $40 MIR. If I could post links I would link it to you.