Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ram upgrade, need help

Hey guys!

Currently looking to upgrade my RAM as my current ram was just some cheapo stuff i got to quickly put the build together when i first started it.

As it is currently im looking at these 2 options:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=20090
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=20874

Im leaning towards the "G.Skill Trident X F3-2400C10Q-32GTX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3" but I have come across the dual channel vs quad channel thing and so I refered to google and now im just flat confused. After reading through a few different forum results on google I've found that if I try to run a quad channel ram setup on a dual channel motherboard it will be fine it will just run at dual channel instead, is this correct?

My current motherboard:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21393

Will the ram im looking at work with my current motherboard? Does anyone have any other possible suggestions for ram? I noticed alot of the forums spoke about CPU and Video cards also while mentioning ram so I figure i best mention mine aswell incase it has something to do with it.

CPU:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21806

GPU:
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=19728

Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer in advanced.

15+ Year Old Account
    how much RAM do you have currently?

32GB is useless for 95% of the population. even 16GB is pretty overkill
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Honestly, I'm not sure that getting some 2133MHz RAM will do anything for ya.

Dual Channel is the most current chipsets. The exceptions are the X58 chipset which is Tri-Channel and the X79 Chipset being Quad-Channel.

I've got an X79 chipset, and have 4x4GB of RAM, and use quad-monitor (Which chews up RAM like mad to run anything), and I never get even halfway up. That said, I'd just look at a 2x4GB RAM Kit, with low timeings (7-7-7-16 or 7-7-7-20) @ 1866MHz (I'm not sure since I've been on Intel's platform for awhile, but I think Piledriver is 1866MHz capped? If not, it'll be 2133MHz. If you can find some cheap 2133MHz RAM, I'd just go with that)

TL;DR - Just go with 8GB (16GB if you /really/ want to be up there) or so of Dual-Channel RAM with low timings.
    Past 'rigs in service (Now the dad's gaming rig):

Current 'rigs:

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    how much RAM do you have currently?

32GB is useless for 95% of the population. even 16GB is pretty overkill
    I think this is my current RAM, im not actually entirely sure as it was something I just quickly grabbed.

2x http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16510

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    I think this is my current RAM, im not actually entirely sure as it was something I just quickly grabbed.

2x http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=16510
    They are perfect? No need to throw money into something that wont benefit your system.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deciding how much RAM you need is as simple as this:

4 GB RAM - Only if you have a 32-Bit OS. If you do, don't go any higher than this.
    8 GB RAM - Will play every game in existence. You can stretch it to 12 if you want to future proof yourself, perhaps.
    12 GB RAM - If you're doing video or audio encoding, 12 is good.
    16 GB RAM - Pretty much only for realtime HD video processing, or 3D rendering software.
    24 GB RAM+ - If you needed this much, you'd know about it and there wouldn't be any questions. Nothing a regular user will do requires this much RAM, nor benefits from it. The performance improvement between 8 and 12 GB of RAM in games is around 5%. Going up to 24, etc, isn't going to help any further. However, epeen measurer's may come in around this level.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2013-01-28 at 02:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

I thought my ram was my weak link, my pc doesn't really seem to run as it should be... if thats not the problem then what is?

The components you've listed all seem fine. I doubt it's anything like PSU, etc. Can you elaborate on not running as it should? Not snappy enough? Loading times too long? Have you got your OS on an SSD? (And if you haven't, do eeeet! Dropping your OS onto an SSD will give you a massive speed and response improvement). Oh, and you're not running Vista are you? If so, stop that too! Windows 7 is much faster, and Windows 8 is slightly faster than that (although, you need to run ClassicShell to avoid the nasty Metro stuff)

Also - your RAM may very well be a weak point, was just saying you don't need a huge amount of RAM, just quality RAM. If it's some el cheapo stuff it certainly does show in benchmarking. Drop in some Corsair Dominator or something. These for example: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17731
    Last edited by Janaa; 2013-01-28 at 02:46 AM.
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

My PSU is a Corsair AX-850, My ssd's im currently running are 2x OCZ Vertex 4 256g in raid-0, with a WD Red 3tb for storage.

By not running as it should im referring to FPS lag in games.

For example. World of Warcraft I generally drop below 30fps in most situations, especially 25man raids, on the Sha I can drop below 10fps and my game actually freezes periodically. I've tried overclocking my GPU which made a slight difference but it seemed unstable so I don't use the overclock anymore. Could my GPU be faulty? Is there any software to test such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Oncereborn View Post
    By not running as it should im referring to FPS lag in games.

For example. World of Warcraft I generally drop below 30fps in most situations, especially 25man raids, on the Sha I can drop below 10fps and my game actually freezes periodically. I've tried overclocking my GPU which made a slight difference but it seemed unstable so I don't use the overclock anymore. Could my GPU be faulty? Is there any software to test such a thing?
    Sorry, I'm not an expert in AMD or ATI (Intel and nVidia all the waaaay). The fanboy in me wants to scream out "It's cause you're running ATI!" but really I don't know. Hopefully someone else more familiar with that card can give an impression of what framerates you should be getting at what video settings. As far as I know there's virtually no cards around that won't sometimes stutter in 25-mans if you're running everything at 1920x1080 Ultra settings.

The freezing however sounds especially bad - have you monitored the temperature of everything inside your PC while gaming? There's logging tools you can get to help monitor that for you.
    Last edited by Janaa; 2013-01-28 at 02:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    You will get low FPS/fps drops on WoW even with one of the most beastly rigs on the consumer market unless you turn down some settings.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn down Anisotropic to like 4x, Turn down Shadows and SSAO, and you should be able to probably run everything else on Ultra. If that doesn't solve it, then there's actually a problem, not a performance deficiency.

Try checking your temperatures. You can google search cpu and gpu temp readers.

Also update your drivers if you haven't.

Edit: Just curious why you went with the WD Red HDD. Those are made for NAS storage. IMO you should have gone with a WD Black. They are faster and more reliable.
    Last edited by Combat; 2013-01-28 at 07:21 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP - Buy yourself a CPU cooler - A good one (noctua d-14) Overclock that cpu to 4,9-5,2 GHZ depend on stability and enjoy. It's pretty darn close to the Intel CPUs, just that they cost hell and more. I'm not satisfied with my i7 2700k. I got it OCed at 4,8 GHZ stabile, yet the perfomance increase from a phenom 955 black edition is maybe a few frames here and there. Overkill for the money. Costed me in norway around 2600 norwegian crowns = almost 600 dollars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat View Post
    Edit: Just curious why you went with the WD Red HDD. Those are made for NAS storage. IMO you should have gone with a WD Black. They are faster and more reliable.
    Because the extra cost on a Black is utterly useless for a storage drive. He has SSD's. Blacks are only useful if they're your primary drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    OP - Buy yourself a CPU cooler - A good one (noctua d-14) Overclock that cpu to 4,9-5,2 GHZ depend on stability and enjoy. It's pretty darn close to the Intel CPUs, just that they cost hell and more. I'm not satisfied with my i7 2700k. I got it OCed at 4,8 GHZ stabile, yet the perfomance increase from a phenom 955 black edition is maybe a few frames here and there. Overkill for the money. Costed me in norway around 2600 norwegian crowns = almost 600 dollars.
    Antec KUHLER H2O 920 CPU Cooler
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=17169

Something like this?

Note: I didn't end up ordering any ram, after reading feedback here and some more research I think ill just stick with what I currently have, thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Oncereborn; 2013-01-30 at 02:05 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That seems like a lot of money to spend just to kick wow up a few frames. A decent $30-40 cooler ought to do fine to kick it up 500mhz or so to make the difference. If you're still having issues... There's an actual PROBLEM, not; 'it isnt strong enough'

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That seems like a lot of money to spend just to kick wow up a few frames. A decent $30-40 cooler ought to do fine to kick it up 500mhz or so to make the difference. If you're still having issues... There's an actual PROBLEM, not; 'it isnt strong enough'
    Money isnt an issue, size is though as I have a fairly smallish case. I don't mind going a bit over the top, Im in a fairly good situation IRL with money so spending an extra 50$ or so isn't a problem for me, I'd rather have quality parts than just something that will do the job.

I have this in red,
    http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=21570

Also, my friend has one of the antec kuhler's in his rig and recommends it, but I am open to second opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just pointing out that that's a lot of money to spend when it may well not even fix your problem. Why should you buy something to increase performance, when you SHOULD be getting better performance as it is?

You probably just need to knock Anisotropic down a little, and maybe shadows. Overclocking wont help a great deal with it.

Do you know if there is any software to test hardware? the only one I know of is memtest, is there similar such programs for gpu/cpu ect... I haven't really looked into such things.