Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Solution for BG boters

Hey everyone, I'm sure almost every pvp player kinda got sick of how awful bots are plaguing and ruining the fun of playing bgs.

I was thinking what if Blizzard implemented a system that require every player who wanted to que for bg must write a random letters kinda similar to how when you create an email or an account forum when at the end before finalize your register you will see something like:

Type these letters for example;

fjghajk 1787

everytime whenever a player que for a bg the letters requirement should be different and random. By doing that, it will make sure that the one who que for bgs will be a human player. It may not fix all of the bg problems 100% but it would be a good start.

What do you think?

Discuss please.

NOTE: This is just my personal opinion. It's not 100% perfect + best solution but just my own opinion about it.

the only "acceptable" system for blizzard will be one that does not involve the character/player. forcing people in to doing something they dont want to means less subss

it's just capcha. it's been suggested before and it would work sometimes, but i think it would take too long to implement via LUA

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression that a lot of botters were actual players using bots to automate themselves through games so they could watch TV or afk or whatever, not that the accounts were totally bot controlled. (I assume that, unlike farming bots, the goal of a pvp bot is to earn HP which isn't particularly of value if a person didn't, at some point, actually use the character).

The capcha idea is sorta null in this scenario, because the player just enters the code when he queues, then goes back to letting the bot do all the work.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

if blizzard really wanted to do away with botters permanently , they would have. Money is money and they gain more from botters over those who quit because of botters

Forcing anyone to type in a captcha will not only get rid of bots temporarily but it will also get rid of the actual players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    if blizzard really wanted to do away with botters permanently , they would have. Money is money and they gain more from botters over those who quit because of botters
    This is just a conspiracy theory. If it was true, no one would ever be banned for economic exploitation or other ToA violation, but people are all the time. Take one look at the customer service forums (or here for that matter) to know that Blizzard takes their Terms seriously and will ban accounts in violation, despite the loss of a sub.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    This is just a conspiracy theory. If it was true, no one would ever be banned for economic exploitation or other ToA violation, but people are all the time. Take one look at the customer service forums (or here for that matter) to know that Blizzard takes their Terms seriously and will ban accounts in violation, despite the loss of a sub.
    I've never seen a perma ban that wasn't reverted. People who were perma banned always get their accounts reinstated from what I have seen. I have guildies who have been banned over 8 times for botting for example(and still plays to this day)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    So you think that everyone that uses a bot would quit the game if they took away their means to free honor? or you know maybe they would just start doing it the old normal way.

Not going to read your post, saw something like "enter this text"/captcha.
    Terrible idea, many idiots have gone before you.

Deleted
    How about a system where you must create a certain shape, lets say square or triangle on screen with your mouse, when you die in a BG and want to be ressed...
    For players it would be a quick swipe, like unlocking an Iphone or other smart phone, for bots it would take away they point of botting
    Botting meaning you go to school, college, work, sleep while the bot enters BG's and gets you honor.

Because when they die they simply wont get ressed... plus players can easily notice people at the graveyard... and report them.
    These bots will get the debuff... which they normally clear by attacking something.. but they cant as they are dead....

-other variant could be they get kicked after 30 secs of not creating the shape)

Never gonna make it live but yeah would love it!

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    So you think that everyone that uses a bot would quit the game if they took away their means to free honor? or you know maybe they would just start doing it the old normal way.
    no i'm saying people who quit because they think blizzard does nothing about botters is really small compared to the amount of actual botters who are still sub'd

Quote Originally Posted by Keesinjehoofd View Post
    How about a system where you must create a certain shape, lets say square or triangle on screen with your mouse, when you die in a BG and want to be ressed...
    For players it would be a quick swipe, like unlocking an Iphone or other smart phone, for bots it would take away they point of botting
    Botting meaning you go to school, college, work, sleep while the bot enters BG's and gets you honor.

Because when they die they simply wont get ressed... plus players can easily notice people at the graveyard... and report them.
    These bots will get the debuff... which they normally clear by attacking something.. but they cant as they are dead....

-other variant could be they get kicked after 30 secs of not creating the shape)

Would you still love it if you have made squares and shit for 100 times, 1000 times?
    Also, most bots are smarter then the average player.

p.s; It's nice and all that you are willing to help out on the botter issues - but it's like normal people trying to do rocket surgery.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2013-01-28 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesinjehoofd View Post

Why if they got rid of the real problem being the long boring grind to get gear then maybe people wouldn't feel as compelled to bot or won't for long periods of time. To get basic dungeon gear it takes a much shorter time like an afternoon compared to a week or more for basic pvp gear that doesn't help you that much against higher ilvl players. Putting in any system that adds any further inconvenience is a waste of development time.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2013-01-28 at 03:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mifuyne View Post
    Would you still love it if you have made squares and shit for 100 times, 1000 times?
    Also, most bots are smarter then the average player.
    Well you can't claim you are doing anything productive during those 20 seconds you are dead in the gy, and if people know the system is there to avoid botting i am pretty sure they wouldn't mind spending 0.5 of a second on forming a shape on the screen even if it is for the 1000'th time

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Why if they got rid of the real problem being the long boring grind to get gear then maybe people wouldn't feel as compelled to bot or won't for long periods of time. To get basic dungeon gear it takes a much shorter time like an afternoon compared to a week or more for basic pvp gear that doesn't help you that much against higher ilvl players. Putting in any system that adds any further inconvenience is a waste of development time.
    PvP isn't a grind if you actually like PvPing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Velshin View Post
    I was thinking what if Blizzard implemented a system that require every player who wanted to que for bg must write a random letters kinda similar to how when you create an email or an account forum when at the end before finalize your register you will see something like:
    You wouldn't stop the botters as they would just find a way around the CAPTCHA and you would only hurt the normal player because of the annoyance and hoops they have to step throu

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/i...g-economy/1835 is an article from 2008. Certainly some of the methods for captchas have improved since then but you can still see how they aren't foolproof. And instead of fighting bots like they currently do they would have to then maintain and constantly change their captcha while still fighting bots like they normally do.

There are plenty of other ways to do it that would be better. The only way to stop bots is the way Blizzard does it, at the source. The thing is for every bot blizzard stops another one is created that works differently.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by sisk View Post
    Well you can't claim you are doing anything productive during those 20 seconds you are dead in the gy, and if people know the system is there to avoid botting i am pretty sure they wouldn't mind spending 0.5 of a second on forming a shape on the screen even if it is for the 1000'th time
    If it actually worked, it would get people annoyed, trust me.
    But it doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trogie View Post
    PvP isn't a grind if you actually like PvPing.
    Keep telling yourself that grouping with random gamers and it being 90% uncoordinated/bots is fun cause for me it's not.

Personally I wouldn't mind having to type in a captcha, but some people are really, REALLY against it, and that sort of stifles the idea.

Plus, it does little for afkers.