Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Why should I be kidding about that?

    Please explain.

    Because once in a while you see a thread which is not the usual dating problem etc. but involves family, finance etc for that person. or they have/had an opportunity and want to talk about it.

    There is your general problem boom.

    As for the wide variation of things to discuss: true but the same topics are being discussed a lot of the times, so that is a moot point.
    You're not getting the point of the post. You pretty much are complaining why there's nothing else to discuss, WHILE listing down every possible topic that could ever be discussed, or at least most of them. You have in there: politics, relationships, war, "any general problem" (honestly you should've realized this on your own by the time you typed down this), science for Christ's sake, news (?????), the paranormal and so on and so on. What else do you want? You've listed down such general headings that most things could be added under any of them. The only thing I can think is missing is philosophy, but that could fall under politics or science or "any general problem" depending on the way it's presented.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  2. #22
    The Lightbringer Orlong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Class 1,000,000 Clean Room
    Posts
    3,600
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    So far we have:

    - Political threads (they are okay)
    - Gun threads ( stop those, people will never change the mind of somebody else with a different opinion on matters like this)
    - News threads (again, okay)
    - Ocassional funny news thread (more than welcome)
    - Science related threads (totally fine and okay)
    - Do you believe in ghosts threads
    - Food threads (more than welcome!)
    - Dilemmas, trilemmas and general problem threads
    - Tipping threads
    - Zombie/end of the world threads
    - Obesity/fat people threads
    - War threads

    And last but not least our dear old friend:

    - Relationship/dating/crush threads


    I think some of these threads should be reduced honestly, some topics have been discussed to death and nobody is getting anywhere! (I am looking at you, gun threads)o
    Most things people are interested in fit into those threads. Do you have an idea for a topic or 2 that doesnt fit into any of your thread categories?

  3. #23
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You're not getting the point of the post. You pretty much are complaining why there's nothing else to discuss, WHILE listing down every possible topic that could ever be discussed, or at least most of them. You have in there: politics, relationships, war, "any general problem" (honestly you should've realized this on your own by the time you typed down this), science for Christ's sake, news (?????), the paranormal and so on and so on. What else do you want? You've listed down such general headings that most things could be added under any of them. The only thing I can think is missing is philosophy, but that could fall under politics or science or "any general problem" depending on the way it's presented.
    Actually I did realize while I wrote it down but I did not say anything.

    Either way, I said most of those threads are okay, maybe you conveniently forgot about that for the sake of starting a discussion, but I am talking about gun threads etc that are not going anywhere.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Actually I did realize while I wrote it down but I did not say anything.

    Either way, I said most of those threads are okay, maybe you conveniently forgot about that for the sake of starting a discussion, but I am talking about gun threads etc that are not going anywhere.
    Then why include them? If this is a rant about gun threads, present it as such. Buying an entire basket of items just so the cashier doesn't notice your porno mag?
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You're not getting the point of the post. You pretty much are complaining why there's nothing else to discuss, WHILE listing down every possible topic that could ever be discussed, or at least most of them. You have in there: politics, relationships, war, "any general problem" (honestly you should've realized this on your own by the time you typed down this), science for Christ's sake, news (?????), the paranormal and so on and so on. What else do you want? You've listed down such general headings that most things could be added under any of them. The only thing I can think is missing is philosophy, but that could fall under politics or science or "any general problem" depending on the way it's presented.
    I think he means that while there are different points that could be discussed on those topics we only see people bring up the same points. I mean you can hijack a thread from the original post and turn it into something different but it takes at least four posters to do that.

    I wanted to add you forgot about the "fat" threads.

  6. #26
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Then why include them? If this is a rant about gun threads, present it as such. Buying an entire basket of items just so the cashier doesn't notice your porno mag?
    Because I like listing things. You may find me stupid, dumb or uncaring for that, but the truth is I don't think before posting something unnecessary, maybe it is in conflict with your sense of what is necessary but yeah, that is what it comes down to.

    Now would you please get off my case?
    Last edited by Bananarepublic; 2013-01-28 at 02:48 AM.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Because I like listing things. You may find me stupid, dumb or uncaring for that, but the truth is I don't think before posting something unnecessary, maybe it is in conflict with your sense of what is necessary but yeah, that is what it comes down to.
    It's really nothing more than a rant about gun threads, because otherwise there's really no reason to list down a list of threads that you enjoy and think are okay for the forum.
    My Cracked articles, writing blog, and Twitter.

    The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

    Want to chat with people who aren't idiots? Join our IRC.

  8. #28
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's really nothing more than a rant about gun threads, because otherwise there's really no reason to list down a list of threads that you enjoy and think are okay for the forum.
    Yeah, that is what it originally stemmed from, was sick of those gun threads, the rest came in the list while I was writing but I just like to make a list like that.

    Are you happy now you pink annoying piece of cake with other sweets on top of it?

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Yeah, that is what it originally stemmed from, was sick of those gun threads, the rest came in the list while I was writing but I just like to make a list like that.

    Are you happy now you pink annoying piece of cake with other sweets on top of it?
    If vizzle is a male cake and you eat him, does that make it gay?

  10. #30
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    If vizzle is a male cake and you eat him, does that make it gay?
    You do realize it's his avatar I am talking about?..

    But no, to answer your question as I would be consuming him and not having intercourse with him. :P

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    You do realize it's his avatar I am talking about?..

    But no, why would it.
    Yeah, I know. It was a trick question, I realize there isn't such thing as forum posting cakes

  12. #32
    High Overlord Bwutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Over the rainbow..
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by arcade16 View Post
    I disagree with you OP, I enjoy the full spectrum of threads on here, and have had my opinion on several sensitive topics changed before.

    We have, believe it or not, a fairly intellectual (if not diverse) community on here.
    This person says the truth.

    What would you rather have?
    "Maybe we wouldn't keep getting hurt if we just expected the worst.."

    "Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy. Sometimes, it simply means you are a strong person"

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! Bananarepublic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    5,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Bwutty View Post
    This person says the truth.

    What would you rather have?
    Some bacon.
    But the stores are closed.

    But to not derail the thread:

    You cannot see how some thread types are just annoying at this point?

  14. #34
    High Overlord Bwutty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Over the rainbow..
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Some bacon.
    But the stores are closed.

    But to not derail the thread:

    You cannot see how some thread types are just annoying at this point?
    Hey, I'm hungry too but it's too late here to buy anything (fridge contents don't seem alluring enough).

    While some topics might have reached a point where nothing new can be said, I've noticed this incredible ability of many users to spark a variation of the main thread and go from there.. even in threads I've personally made..

    That's what's important to me, the contents of the thread, not the OP only.. :P Appreciate that!
    "Maybe we wouldn't keep getting hurt if we just expected the worst.."

    "Smiling doesn't always mean you're happy. Sometimes, it simply means you are a strong person"

  15. #35
    Seem to be a ton of am I emotionless thread going on right now for some odd reason.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Sealed View Post
    I honestly don't see how the two are any different.
    There's so much more to politics than the trigger-happy issues that media blows up, and that's why politics is so f'ed.

    Anyway, I personally believe that people can make a thread about whatever they want. But I've never understood relationship threads. Those threads never EVER ask for advice; the person says what he wants to say, and wants other people to agree what he thinks.

    Huh, I guess I do understand those. It just seems a tad redundant, I guess. OP is right, there's a lot of unneeded threads on these forums, but it's great to see how much they've expanded. Believe it or not, mmo-champion forums used to be about WoW! The uprising of off-topic has overall been a good thing. Besides, I don't really think there's a way to stop these threads unless it's just an insta-lock, which seems a bit harsh.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by lopk View Post
    There's so much more to politics than the trigger-happy issues that media blows up, and that's why politics is so f'ed.

    Anyway, I personally believe that people can make a thread about whatever they want. But I've never understood relationship threads. Those threads never EVER ask for advice; the person says what he wants to say, and wants other people to agree what he thinks.

    Huh, I guess I do understand those. It just seems a tad redundant, I guess. OP is right, there's a lot of unneeded threads on these forums, but it's great to see how much they've expanded. Believe it or not, mmo-champion forums used to be about WoW! The uprising of off-topic has overall been a good thing. Besides, I don't really think there's a way to stop these threads unless it's just an insta-lock, which seems a bit harsh.
    I think if there was a relationship sub-forum (Like the computer build forum is a sub-forum of the computer forum, the relationship forum would be a sub-forum of the general off-topic forum, then we could get rid of those threads out of gen off-topic, and back to threads where actual discussion takes place.
    "Then we have found, as it seems, that the many beliefs of the many about what's fair and about the other things roll around somewhere between not-being and being purely and simply." - Plato: Republic

  18. #38
    Legendary! Dezerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    6,755
    No, I don't believe we should reduce threads about any subject. It's important to promote discussing these subjects.
    To declare that a personal, inner experience gives certainty about the workings of the universe is to assign far too much value to one’s subjective sense of conviction.
    I’m not that arrogant.

    The brain, marvelous instrument though it is, isn’t infallible. It can misfire, seize or hallucinate, and it can do so in a way that’s utterly indistinguishable from reality to the person experiencing it.

  19. #39
    Yes, but breeding the threads with posts won't make them stop, OP.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Seem to be a ton of am I emotionless thread going on right now for some odd reason.
    Yeah, not really fond of those. Though, don't really dislike them either. I have no strong feelings one way or ze other.

    Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •