Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Need some advice on losing weight.

    So today I realized it was time for me to lose some weight. I've become a little unhappy about my shape and seeing as I'm gonna be working as a sailor apprentice next year, I need to watch my weight.
    Here's some info:
    17 years old
    ~182cm tall
    ~82kg
    I eat fish dinners 3 times a week, vegetables almost every dinner, fruit every day, dairy every day, bread, meat and I only drink soda and eat chips in the weekends. I drink a lot of water every day at school and at home. My typical eating habits per day would be porridge (not sure if its the correct word) for breakfast (~07:00), 3 slices of bread for lunch (~10:30), dinner (fish/meat/chicken) with potatoes/rice/vegetables (~15:30) and 3 slices of bread for evening food (~20:00).
    I consider my eating habits okay, so my real question is how I should work out:
    My plan is to jog 30 minutes 3-4 times a week and do pushups and situps everyday. Is this a decent enough way to work out? I don't want the fastest or best way to lose weight, but I wanna see some decent results.
    Any help is deeply appreciated!

    ~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

  2. #2
    If you're main goal is to lose weight yea do your cardio. If you want to build muscle lift some weights.

    I don't like DVD workouts, I prefer the gym, but if you don't mind hopping around in your living room I've had a lot of friends who have used P90X and had amazing results. One cousin who also played WoW actually was up to 275lbs dropped down to 205 in 90 days.

    To be honest what you're doing seems fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Extremity View Post
    I like turtles. I would like turtle-based tier sets. I would like a turtle shell helmet, and perhaps a cheeseburger backpack and a chestpiece that simply places a red gemstone on my bellybutton.

  3. #3
    At first I wanna lose some fat, before I maybe start working out to achieve muscles. Thanks for the input because I really haven't been sure if my plan is any good.

    ~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

  4. #4
    The most important part of any exercise program you intend on pursuing, is what you put into your body. If you want to lose weight you need to watch what your eating. Cut out as many unnessary junk foods as you can and only drink water. Exercising is only about 20% of it. Eating healthy is the biggest part of it. My advice to you would be to join a gym. Trust me you'll feel a little out of place but you gotta have the mindset that at least I'm here trying to better myself. Eat ALOT of veggies. Eat lean meat, never fried. Fruits can be your "sweets" so to speak. Try to stay away from a lot of breads. Wish you the best in your endeavors, hope you get positive results!

  5. #5
    You can start with reading the OTHER threads that people make instead of making a new one.

  6. #6
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Ditch the bread. All of it. Don't cut down on bread, don't switch to brown, don't try eating more good stuff to compensate. Just literally stop eating bread fullstop.

  7. #7
    What's a good alternative to bread then? Seeing as 2 of my meals each day consists of bread I would need a good alternative. I know a mate who just brings a lot of veggies and fruit but I'm not quite at his stage.

    ~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

  8. #8
    Eat oats or low fat yoghurt with muesli/fruit for breakfast. You can eat a salad with some vegetables and chicken for lunch, just prepare it at home.

    You can actually start lifting right now, just to get your muscles warmed up for the real deal. You won't become a huge bodybuilder over night ;-) doing cardio would be recommended alltho I never did it while losing weight. It's your call and either will work, doing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training worked wonders for some people and it takes up less of your time with better results.

    Edit: I'm not awake yet

  9. #9
    Dreadlord OmniSkribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Moscow, RU
    Posts
    760
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadnightWarrior View Post
    What's a good alternative to bread then? Seeing as 2 of my meals each day consists of bread I would need a good alternative. I know a mate who just brings a lot of veggies and fruit but I'm not quite at his stage.
    How about not eat bread without any replacement?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    How about not eat bread without any replacement?
    He probably needs to increase protein intake if he is going to start lifting and doing cardio.

    Replace your evening 3 bread slices with cottage cheese and a couple sliced strawberries. Or Yogurt. (Greek style)

  11. #11
    Weight lifting is the second most important part of losing weight after your diet. Definitely don't just do cardio. Read the /fit sticky: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh...heet_%28WIP%29

  12. #12
    Thanks for the input guys, I will talk to a friend of mine who works out a lot and come together with a devious plan. If anyone has any more input feel free to post it though.

    ~Thanks to PaulDok for the awesome signature!~

  13. #13
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Replace bread with more protein and also try Quinoa. Ok, in the packet it looks gross... Boil it up with some chicken stock and it actually tastes really, really satisfying!

  14. #14
    The Patient Meeria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    West Sussex, England
    Posts
    274
    Like others have said, replace your bread with salads. I love salads, you can literally put anything of your liking in there. Chicken, tuna, salmon, tomatoes, cucumber, there's tons of different types of leafy greens to put in, couscous, sweet potato, apple, orange, pear, chickpeas, garden peas... There's so many options with salads that it'll take quite a while to get bored of em!

    Or maybe try some soup? Easy to make a big batch of soup at home, put the leftovers in plastic containers and stick it in the freezer. Then it's easy to defrost a portion and take it with you to college. ^^ Lots of recipes online, it's just about picking what you fancy trying out!

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Grievuuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Ringsted, Denmark.
    Posts
    1,233
    Stop eating white bread completely if possible(Carbohydrates). Watch your carb intake and eat lots of low fat chicken breast filets (Proteine).

    Work out every other day
    Quote Originally Posted by Laraven View Post
    Umm, skinny guys with abs are like a fat girl with big boobs. It don't really count.
    Grievuuz#2550
    Skype: Kjarlot

  16. #16
    Eat carbohydrates (bread, etc) for breakfast, but no protein
    Eat carbohydrates + protein for lunch
    Eat proteins but no carbohydrates for dinner. Eating no bread, potatoes, noodles or rice for dinner is the important part. But do eat some eggs or chicken together with vegetables.

    And ya, having more muscles means burning more calories while doing nothing.

  17. #17
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Leialyn View Post
    Eat carbohydrates (bread, etc) for breakfast, but no protein
    Eat carbohydrates + protein for lunch
    Eat proteins but no carbohydrates for dinner. Eating no bread, potatoes, noodles or rice for dinner is the important part. But do eat some eggs or chicken together with vegetables.

    And ya, having more muscles means burning more calories while doing nothing.
    Turn that upside down and you have it about right. The whole "Don't consume carbs after 6pm because you'll get fat overnight" is a myth and has been debunked numerous times.

    I'd advocate eating as little carbohydrates as possible in the morning. Dumping carbs into your body following a night's sleep when your body hasn't been fed for atleast 6-8 hours will just send your blood sugars sky-rocketing. Insulin will also sky rocket to compensate and you'll just end up throwing your sugars and energy levels haywire for the rest of the day.

    Breakfast: Lots of protein
    Lunch: protein & small amount of carbs
    Dinner: protein & generous portion of carbs (following workout)

    Carbohydrates you want would include sweet potatoes, quinoa, split peas, brown rice. Carbs you don't want are ordinary potatoes, white rice, pasta, chips, bread etc..

    Also, get your head around the idea of adding healthy fats to your diet: Almonds, pine nuts, unsalted cashews (have a small cupped handful of these mid-morning and mid-afternoon). Speaking of nuts and fats - I've found Peanut butter a great way to keep hunger at bay, especially if I am working late into the night or just feel a bit extra hungry. 2 tbsp of Crunchy peanut butter will keep hunger at bay and what's more it's good for you!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Turn that upside down and you have it about right. The whole "Don't consume carbs after 6pm because you'll get fat overnight" is a myth and has been debunked numerous times.

    I'd advocate eating as little carbohydrates as possible in the morning. Dumping carbs into your body following a night's sleep when your body hasn't been fed for atleast 6-8 hours will just send your blood sugars sky-rocketing. Insulin will also sky rocket to compensate and you'll just end up throwing your sugars and energy levels haywire for the rest of the day.

    Breakfast: Lots of protein
    Lunch: protein & small amount of carbs
    Dinner: protein & generous portion of carbs (following workout)

    Carbohydrates you want would include sweet potatoes, quinoa, split peas, brown rice. Carbs you don't want are ordinary potatoes, white rice, pasta, chips, bread etc..

    Also, get your head around the idea of adding healthy fats to your diet: Almonds, pine nuts, unsalted cashews (have a small cupped handful of these mid-morning and mid-afternoon). Speaking of nuts and fats - I've found Peanut butter a great way to keep hunger at bay, especially if I am working late into the night or just feel a bit extra hungry. 2 tbsp of Crunchy peanut butter will keep hunger at bay and what's more it's good for you!

    TS you can also skip breakfast if you're not a breakfast person.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Harzaka View Post
    TS you can also skip breakfast if you're not a breakfast person.
    You shouldnt really skip breakfast.

  20. #20
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    You shouldnt really skip breakfast.
    True. I think Harzaka was being sarcastic, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •