Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Need to cut at least 20 pounds

So a little back story, I lost 50 pounds over this summer biking (currently around 217 lbs) and have felt great for doing it. Now I need to do at least 20 more because I am planning to attempt to enlist in the Air Force this summer. I haven't been able to work out to much lately due to it being winter and well.... negative 10 plus weather isn't comfortable to work out in.

I tried the insanity work out and made it about half way through it just fine, the only problem is that I find it so freaking boring. I need something that will get me out of the house, so come my next pay check I am getting a gym membership.

I also want to mention I am a trained chef and dietitian and I know how to eat right I am just looking for people out there with some tips or tricks to help me get this last 20 pounds taken care of.

I.E. do things like slim fast, xenadrine, or any of these other things work.

Also would it be a good idea down the road to start a protein shake routine, and whats best to use I see alot of whey powders around and such.

Well it seems like you know what you're doing. Between your diet and if you have your gym membership you should be able to lose the 20 pounds in time. I don't think you really need help, especially if you already lost 50 pounds. Mega congrats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you. Basically just posting to see if anyone out there has any good tips or tricks they can throw my way ;D

Deleted
    Biking, walking, running, ect. all free workouts. any of them 20mins a day is enough to lose it. and of course a diet

all enjoyable

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually running in the winter is really good. I live in Canada and I run in -20 all the time, no of course I dress right but I find it easier to run longer in the cold than when it's hot. For the most part it looks like you have everything under control. =P Oh, why do you need to be 197 to enlist in the Airforce? O_o

10+ Year Old Account
    For my body height 5' 11" it is the standard enlisting weight. Its just my general goal to get around that number. Now that said 197 is for normal people, but I am a genuine nordic built person and have EXTREMELY wide shoulders so I have a general stocky build already. So its up in the air until I actually get into the MEPS center tbh.
    Last edited by akro; 2013-01-28 at 03:07 AM.

nordic...so ur tall with a big head?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpocrates View Post
    nordic...so ur tall with a big head?
    \

HAHAHA.... actually yes..... I do have a larger then normal head

10+ Year Old Account
    You may get some help by adding more beans and lentils to your diet. That's a whole set of dishes that many people tend to ignore and adding them can help you cut back in other areas. Since you're trained as a chef, try to learn a new cuisine that offers dishes you're interested in -- something like Indian food might be useful, "the secrets of Scottish deep fried oddities" should probably wait.

Something that can help with flexibility might be useful. Take a look at martial arts or even yoga.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do yoga in my home every now and then. And my diet it diverse I eat alot lean meats like chicken and fish and alot of greens all steamed and I never eat canned Veges. Also curry with rice and hummus are a staple in my diet.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 10:17 PM ----------

Also I used to be I. Tae kwon do but my dojo shut down and there is no other place within fifty miles that teaches it.... For ever a blue belt lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Medifast...

Look it up...

I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks.

Its kind of expensive but, totally worth it.

You need to stick with it though and not cheat.

For me though the biggest difference was the amount of calories I was consuming dramatically dropped. I was easily consuming 3600 calories a day now I'm down to 600-1000.

Losing 20 pounds in 2 to 4 weeks is very, very easy:
    Stop with the softdrinks.
    Done.

Basically; stop with all carbohydrates, take in more proteines and never worry about fats. Every single modern diet works that way (Atkins, South Beach, Montignac, etc.) and it will make you feel more alive and more energetic.
    Just stopping with soft drinks got me 30 pounds in a month. All of the rest didn't lose me much weight but did make me feel a lot better.

You have ~4-5 months to burn off 20 lbs. That's plenty of time. Keep with a consistent calorie reduction (~15% below BMR), and a decent lifting and cardio regiment (so you'll be a bit more prepared for Basic) and you'll have it off before you leave.

Losing all that weight like you did over a summer is significant. Normal weight loss (fat loss, specifically) doesn't normally happen as quickly. Don't be discouraged if it takes a little bit of time.

Give up the refined sugars and carbs (sugary processed shit ie. junk food, all bread pasta etc) and give up potatoes and junk too. Stick mainly with veggies and meat/fish.

Intermittent fasting is a *big help* with this kind of thing too - check out leangains.com if you're interested in looking at any of the research behind that when it comes to both diet and exercise.

And no, I'm not affiliated with them in any way, it just helped me a LOT with having numerous breakthroughs in both my fat loss and my muscle gain. If you don't want to visit the site, the simplest idea is to lift weights while fasted (in the morning generally, eat breakfast after the workout) and only eat between an 8 hour window each day (ie, 10 am to 6 pm). It really does work - again, mainly for losing those very hard last 10 to 20 pounds.

But since you have 5 months, you can really do anything that involves a calorie deficit and smart food choices and you'll probably lose it - just make sure you STICK TO IT.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    check out leangains.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    If you don't want to visit the site, the simplest idea is to lift weights while fasted (in the morning generally, eat breakfast after the workout) and only eat between an 8 hour window each day (ie, 10 am to 6 pm). It really does work - again, mainly for losing those very hard last 10 to 20 pounds. But since you have 5 months, you can really do anything that involves a calorie deficit and smart food choices and you'll probably lose it - just make sure you STICK TO IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leangains.com
    The 8-Hour Diet is the latest abomination, and it's no doubt the most impressive thus far. Impressive only due to the sheer idiocy and the sizeable marketing engine that drives it. If my advice is worth anything to you, I'd tell you to stay the Hell away from it. Many won't - and that's the problem.
    This is the problem with doing buckshee internet research.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Brown Eye View Post
    Medifast...

Look it up...

I lost 15 lbs in 2 weeks.

Its kind of expensive but, totally worth it.

You need to stick with it though and not cheat.

For me though the biggest difference was the amount of calories I was consuming dramatically dropped. I was easily consuming 3600 calories a day now I'm down to 600-1000.
    Yeah because eating 600-1000 calories a day is healthy.....
    TS, you should not do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Croga View Post
    Losing 20 pounds in 2 to 4 weeks is very, very easy:
    Stop with the softdrinks.
    Done.

Basically; stop with all carbohydrates, take in more proteines and never worry about fats. Every single modern diet works that way (Atkins, South Beach, Montignac, etc.) and it will make you feel more alive and more energetic.
    Just stopping with soft drinks got me 30 pounds in a month. All of the rest didn't lose me much weight but did make me feel a lot better.
    Dont stop with carbs.

15+ Year Old Account
    try and get your macro nutrients to 40:40:20 - 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat, if not 35:50:15 - I really struggle with managing macro-nutrients, I can keep the calories where I need them, but because of my timetable etc I find i'm not in enough control over what I eat (macro-nutrients wise) just how much I eat.

But my PT buddy said that either 40:40:20 or 35:50:15 was the way forward once I could manage it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    try and get your macro nutrients to 40:40:20 - 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fat, if not 35:50:15 - I really struggle with managing macro-nutrients, I can keep the calories where I need them, but because of my timetable etc I find i'm not in enough control over what I eat (macro-nutrients wise) just how much I eat.

But my PT buddy said that either 40:40:20 or 35:50:15 was the way forward once I could manage it.
    80% of PT's have no idea what they are talking about.

TS you dont have to count everything you eat.
    Most important things to count is Calories and Protein.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tips.

Something to point out.... I haven't drank pop in over 3 years. Water, tea, 1 cup of coffee a day, and an occasional glass of milk. This is all I drink. I eat healthy enough was more looking for tips not related to food... you know like that one secret thing someone knows.

Well, the majority of weight loss will happen in the kitchen via fueling your body with proper foods, and at a slight calorie reduction from your BMR. That said, aerobic exercise is fantastic for your cardiovascular system. Lifting weights can burn just as many (more in some cases) calories, but will just help fill out your body and reduce the possibility of stretch marks.

There is no miracle answer, really. You have several months to go. If you keep a stable and healthy diet, in addition to a solid exercise regime, you'll have no problem meeting your goal. Just try not to get discouraged because the weight doesn't just melt off.