Deleted

Making punching bag of my own?

So I decided to make/buy a punching bag.

But is it easy to make one? I understand I will need to buy some materials, but...what...I understand sand or the like, or should I fill it with cloth?

I am buying it because I sometimes just want to punch something, it would also be good for a little exercise and practicing punching in general, who knows, maybe even vent my rage on it after a lost game.

What materials should I use for the bag first...I need to it be heavy too...

EDIT: Also sorry for making a thread again. I need to stop this.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-01-28 at 05:57 AM.

Moved to Sports and Fitness, as it fits a bit better.

10+ Year Old Account
    This depends wich kind you like. If you want it too come off your roof you will need a rope and some other things. If you want it on a ground you will need some iron pole and some stabilazers.

Thats the cheap way:

But if you want a high quality one you will need a sand, a bad that holds it, leather to go araund and some soft material. Leather--)soft material---) bag of sand in middle.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    This depends wich kind you like. If you want it too come off your roof you will need a rope and some other things. If you want it on a ground you will need some iron pole and some stabilazers.

Thats the cheap way:

But if you want a high quality one you will need a sand, a bad that holds it, leather to go araund and some soft material. Leather--)soft material---) bag of sand in middle.
    Hmm, alright then. I want standing, but doesn't that take up too much space?

If you're really going to use it to practice boxing or just try to get fit in general then I'd say to buy one. My step dad has been shopping around for one, and it seems like a bitch to make, especially since I think they're designed with different amounts of weights that you'd never be able to replicate in your home made version.

Idk, this seems like some spur of the moment thing and I don't think you'd actually use it to its potential if you only use it as a novelty. If you're going to only use it a little and then get tired of it don't even bother lol, those things take up a lot of space, unless you have a designated gym room in your house.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're a pain in the neck to make. You need to pay attention to things like reinforcing the attachment points, getting the right feel when you strike it, making sure your seams aren't going to blow out, making sure whatever you choose to fill the bag with doesn't pack down too much or have other negatives. In the end, you get something that you can say you made, you have more choice in small details ... and you probably would have been just as well off getting a commercial bag. I've done it a couple of times before, I doubt I'd bother to repeat the experience.

Seems legit ill try one

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 03:30 PM ----------

vid about the kid was cool if any of you caught it after bag vid

15+ Year Old Account
    50 lb sack of grain.

Also, small fire + bowl of coals. Stick hands in, pull out, repeat (Enter the Dragon style).
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

If you are planning on doing things with it other than punching, it would behoove you to buy one. Kicking and shooting a homemade one is a great way to get hurt or break the bag. Also, professionally made ones are a lot easier to use without gloves (I don't box with gloves).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    If you are planning on doing things with it other than punching, it would behoove you to buy one. Kicking and shooting a homemade one is a great way to get hurt or break the bag. Also, professionally made ones are a lot easier to use without gloves (I don't box with gloves).
    Alright, me neither btw. :P

I will buy one then. Seems like a lot of hassle to me.

If you don't box with gloves, you should at least tape/wrap your hands/wrist. Hell, even if you DO box with gloves you should.

If you want a REALLY hard bag, you pack it with extra sand/tshirts and stuff to get the sand super tight at the bottom. Then you kick the crap out of it and it feels like concrete. Perfect way to condition your shins.

And you should probably take some boxing lessons for fun and so you know the proper technique.
    In before, "I don't need lessons, I know technique."

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    If you don't box with gloves, you should at least tape/wrap your hands/wrist. Hell, even if you DO box with gloves you should.

If you want a REALLY hard bag, you pack it with extra sand/tshirts and stuff to get the sand super tight at the bottom. Then you kick the crap out of it and it feels like concrete. Perfect way to condition your shins.

And you should probably take some boxing lessons for fun and so you know the proper technique.
    In before, "I don't need lessons, I know technique."
    If you palm heal strike, as I do, you do not need to tape or use gloves. Fist punching is unrealistic and should really never be done unless you are wearing gloves. If you are training for real life fighting, learn to strike like you could without equipment.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-01-30 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    If you palm heal strike, as I do, you do not need to tape or use gloves. Fist punching is unrealistic and should really never be done unless you are wearing gloves. If you are training for real life fighting, learn to strike like you could without equipment.
    Palm striking is indeed different. Although, punching is not unrealistic to me. The real danger comes when you get mad and start throwing wild haymakers at the punching bag and aren't focusing on keeping your wrist straight and punching straight. That's why tape/wraps/gloves come in handy. Even if you go crazy with wild haymakers, you have a very low chance of injuring yourself.

And for me, if I were to get into a fight on the streets or in a bar, I would most definitely use every weapon I have at my disposal. Punches, elbows, knees, kicks. If I don't have room for a kick, I could grab them and drive my knees into them over and over. (It helps actually knowing HOW to fight, too. Training at a Muay Thai gym is useful, I recommend training in some kind of martial arts to anyone and everyone. For self defense, of course.)

Deleted
    Wow, coincidentally my friend has one.

Went wild on it yesterday. I used gloves (well sometimes I did, sometimes not) I punched correctly most of the time but sometimes...ouch.

Now, my palms are a little numb, and my wrist hurts...wow, even my knuckles are numb. I injured myself I think.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2013-02-03 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Wow, coincidentally my friend has one.

Went wild on it yesterday. I used gloves (well sometimes I did, sometimes not) I punched correctly most of the time but sometimes...ouch.

Now, my palms are a little numb, and my wrist hurts...wow, even my knuckles are numb. I injured myself I think.
    Even if you punch correctly, you can injure yourself. Power punching is terrible on your wrists if you do not have them wrapped. It's just a bad idea to do that.

Well i would simply go and buy a punching bag from a sports shop...don't think so much just go and buy